try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Obese guy needs guidance - lose fat or lose weight?

First post so I'll start with a quick intro...

I am 30y.o. male, 5' 11" and currently sitting at 220lbs. Although not morbidly obese, I am still medically obese and I have had enough of it. My BF% is too high as I keep a waist size of 38"-40" and very little toning in major muscle groups. I really want to make a change... look different and feel better about myself. Thus, coming here to get some targeted advice on shaping my body. I frequent other forums for cycling/swimming but their members are geared toward excelling in the sport, not shaping the body. So I am hoping to get some better guidance here.

Last year, I was training for a triathlon and in the process lost 40lbs+ (235 to ~190) in 7months. Mostly watching the diet and lot of cardio and no weight training. Unfortunately it all ended in Fall, 2011 with a cycling crash and landed me immobile for few months. I lost the training rhythm, started eating junk food and back to same weight. 15months later, I am back in the game and want to do it even better! Last year, I gained endurance, lost weight, looked better but still lacked any muscle tone.

I am not sure what my goal is... should be... I think BF% is more important for shaping the body (right?). Weight loss will happen with proper diet and training. Last couple of months, I have been working a bit i.e. 3-4x swimming per week (.5mi to 1mi each session, heart rate high). I want to keep weight sessions balanced so they help me build muscles in legs, arms, shoulders, core (essential to triathlon sports) and help me shape-up. I travel for work 5days/week, every week so I do not have option to cook. But I limit restaurant eating to salads without dressing, oatmeal, cereal and sushi/ sashimi.

Problem areas -
    Diet discipline - I have improved since 2months ago but I need to do better. My work provides an expense paid account which makes it quite tempting to splurge on eating out. I want to zero-out all carbs although I have limited it all to whole wheat/ brown rice in modest amounts. Carb addictions are horrible!!
    Time constraints - I can't do long sessions or double gym sessions everyday. So I need some help in balancing between weight training sessions and dedicated swim nights.
    Legs - My thighs are BIG. They burn energy fast. Squats/ lunges, climbing hills on the bike, kicking hard in swim sprint kills me very quick. I really want to improve this. My cardio workouts will intensify a lot if I have stronger legs.

Sorry about the long post but I wanted to be comprehensive. I am a newbie to strength training but new to training (in general) and understand it needs disciple. I have done it before and I can do it again. Even the smallest of results are more rewarding than anything else in the world. Hoping to get some guidance and make some improvements with you guys here.

PS - Any workout plans based 2x/ week of weight training would be helpful. Thanks again!

pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Your not to far out from having something decent. You said you were 190 with tons of cardio. Well, if you dig around the stickies you will find tons of info where you will be able to do LESS cardio and lose weight. If you like cycling/swimming, why not start there? If you can't do long rides all the time why not find sport specific lifts and save the long rides for days off? Also, you may be insulin resistant if you gained weight that fast and are fearing carbs. Carbs are not bad, but maybe your eating the wrong kind.

As far as diet, your going to have to find a way to clean it up on the road. You say you can't cook, but can you really not cook on Sunday and carry a cooler? Or, have a cooler so you can store pre-made healthy stuff. Kai Greene talks about "cooking your food" and how crucial devoting time to that is. Also, a protein shake helped me with cravings in a pinch when I was in a similar situation. If your self-concious about your diet around co-workers/clients...just make some **** up and say "I have a blood sugar condition we're monitoring" it shuts people up fast. Fatties love to be critical of people working out. **** them.

While I didn't give you any straight answers here, I feel this website has everything you need especially now that you stated some goals. Below my post brahs will tell me I'm wrong about everything but just get started man! You only live once!

matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    5'11" 220lbs. Obese? Really?

Anyway, losing weight is simple, use more calories than you eat. Make sure you get 1g of protein per lb of LBM and 0.4g of fat per lb of LBM. If you can only work out twice a week, do a full body workout doing the main compound lifts.
    R.I.P urukhai29, sentinel3, AncientYouth.

"Eating chips and cookies and drinking soda is just like wandering through life. These are the agents of a purposeless existence. Avocados, turkey burgers, brown rice and eggs etc are the agents of a purposeful existence." - orderoutofchaos, The Internet, 2014

2 Kings 2:23-24

pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ^^^What he said. Also, if you like running, why not run around every new city you visit with your job? Great way to exercise in my opinion.

try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) try2tri has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by pacificd View Post
    ^^^What he said. Also, if you like running, why not run around every new city you visit with your job? Great way to exercise in my opinion.
    Again... legs. For someone with that big thighs my big muscles (quads/hams) don't produce enough energy to do a sport like running for a decent duration.

matman, 220lbs is medically obese (per 3 different physicians). Now if you are built like Brock Lesnar, that might be an exception but I am a muffin top and thats a sorry excuse. Not sure what my LBM is and what compound lift means either. I am a newbie to weights.

I want to dedicate 2 days per week to weight training. Should I do all body both times or focus on muscle groups? Like chest and arms on day 1 and shoulders/legs day 2? Other days can be sport specific? Any thoughts?

chizzy16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chizzy16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chizzy16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chizzy16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chizzy16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chizzy16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chizzy16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chizzy16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chizzy16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chizzy16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chizzy16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Okay, so you've decided to dedicate TWO days to weights...I would find some full body routines with compound exercises. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Can you bike the other days? You mention biking and/or swimming if you enjoy that do it! Also, can you swing a gym membership? Maybe cut the cable bill and join a gym with pool. Best of luck man, just get started now. Oh and throw away binge tempting foods. Literally throw that **** in the garbage.

Okay I just went through the links provided above and back with bunch of questions...

- How flexible is this program? Certain things seem a little strict, like the 10% increase/decrease rule. For someone using 30lbs on dumbell, where am I find 27/33lbs dumbells? Increments are only by 5lbs right?
    - I am only going with 2 days. Should I keep it at both days as heavy?
    - what is the difference between keep med weight worksets vs heavy weight worksets? Right now, I aim for 12reps per set. By 3rd and final set, they get to 9-10 max. Should I increase the weight if my max for each set is only 9 (since this is week 2)?

I am sure one program doesn't fit all. Just trying to get an understanding here on how different weight (heavy vs med) yield different results.