Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jason207 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Going to the gym vs workout equipment at home

I've gone to the gym several times and find I can get a better workout at home and all I have is 2 barbells, 2 dumbells, a pull up bar, a push up bar, a weight bench, a total gym machine, an excercise bike and few other machines. Why does gym equipment suck?

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What is your definition of a good workout?

Reading what you have, I figure I'd be stuck doing cardio or circuit work and not get more than a good sweat going and an improved CVS.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I don't know what equipment you're referring to, but I prefer working out at home as well. At home, I don't have to worry about annoying/distracting patrons, travel or monthly fees. Some people prefer to rent rather than own, and they like the variety/atmosphere that comes with a community gym. If your home equipment gets the job done, then keep your money and workout at home.

TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    honestly it is not even close, the motivation + more exercises + more weights = way better workouts at gym than at home

TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by TigerStealth View Post
    honestly it is not even close, the motivation + more exercises + more weights = way better workouts at gym than at home
    I would agree with this , except if I had wo equipment at home, it would be easier for me to have a set schedual . And I would like that .

Crazy as a **** house rat YoBigFatMomma's Avatar
    YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I love working out at home. I don't have to travel and pay gas, I don't worry about having to hide chalk, I can blast whatever the **** music I want, and watch tv/surf the net in between sets. And if you buy squats stands, you can take your equipment to the park and train in the sun.
    385/245/485 @ 210

┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
    <|>
    ┌8====D
    ⌡ \

v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000)
    I used a gym for 4 years, had some equipment at home, and then went a year working out only at home. I found that working out in my garage is easy when its winter, but when the temperature gets above 90 during the day the garage gets above 100. I also found that affording a power rack good for 300+ lbs is NOT cheap at all. I spent a few hundred on weights from craigslist, got a cheap cage, 2 Olympic bars, a curl bar, about 500 lbs of weights, a "lat tower" on the back of the cage, pull up bar on the cage, and an adjustable barbell bench that can incline and finally a small selection of the smaller plates with adjustable dumbbells. I worked out with that for near a year, but was not consistent and found the equipment to be flimsy compared to the stuff at the gym. When I left the gym by bench and row were at 315+ and squat at 405+, with that much weight i found that my cheaper stuff just couldn't hold the weight safely.

After a year off I am back at the gym, I work out every day except the 2 days a week I work 24 hour shifts, I am more motivated (especially to get my money's worth). If you can get a good workout at home, achieve your goals and so on then go for it. It doesn't work for me since I want strength then size...and what i have at home is good for general fitness only.

AnthonyStark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AnthonyStark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AnthonyStark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AnthonyStark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AnthonyStark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AnthonyStark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AnthonyStark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AnthonyStark has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Your home gym does not have a leg press machine, hack squat machine, cable cross overs, iso-lateral machines for chess/shoulder/back, etc... you gonna need all those after a few months on a 'home gym". The comparison is not even close, to be honest.

Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xizel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't get forced into self-consciousness at home. I sometimes get annoyed by the lack of space and slow weight changing, but the ability to work at your own pace without possible outside distractions is priceless. Besides, I could be sitting at a computer, then decide to get into the weight room less than 10 feet away.

Originally Posted by AnthonyStark View Post
    Your home gym does not have a leg press machine, hack squat machine, cable cross overs, iso-lateral machines for chess/shoulder/back, etc... you gonna need all those after a few months on a 'home gym". The comparison is not even close, to be honest.
    I was hoping the examples get better as the list continued, but I guess not.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I prefer a gym due to the variety. Unless you have a stellar home gym like Ironwill2008, a fully equipped fitness center is usually superior.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

allsweaty is just really nice. (+1000) allsweaty is just really nice. (+1000) allsweaty is just really nice. (+1000) allsweaty is just really nice. (+1000) allsweaty is just really nice. (+1000) allsweaty is just really nice. (+1000) allsweaty is just really nice. (+1000) allsweaty is just really nice. (+1000) allsweaty is just really nice. (+1000) allsweaty is just really nice. (+1000) allsweaty is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well OP does have a total gym.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Yeah, that Total Gym is an anomaly of power. I mean, not only do your hands move through space, but your body does too. I don't know whether to call those movements closed or open chain.

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I could do 99% of my training with just a power rack, so a home gym set-up would be easy for me to use.

But, there are hot chicks at the gym.

drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    [QUOTE=

But, there are hot chicks at the gym.[/QUOTE]

^^this, extra motivation
    Eat for what you are about to do, not for what you have already done.

if i don't know how to cut ,why would i be bold enough to bulk?

'Failure' isn't a requirement for growth, but progression is.

http://www.********.com/pages/Romans-fitness/193327960714025

BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BombDonald View Post
    there are hot chicks at the gym.
    There are hot chicks everywhere. If that's the only outside place you go, you could probably use the social interaction.

Home gym=train whatever time you want. On my current program a workout takes me 2 hours, if i had to share the machines with other people, i can't even imagine.

lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100)
    Honestly, with about 75 lbs in plates and 2 adjusttable dumbbells, I can emulate almost every excercise except deadlifts. For squats, I grab dumbbells and do pistols, although its nowhere close to the full body of squats. For bench, I do weighted pushups on my pullup bar with a backpack full of weights (goneu p to 30 lbs). This works the core really well because you have to keep your body straight while going all the way down with a wide grip on the bar.

Can also do shoulder press + dumbbell rows 1 arm at a time, not to mention pullups, and chairs + books for weighted dips.

But then I just go to my gym so I can consistently do proper compounds and I lift more with better form when theres people(girls) around who may be watching. Nothing like a natural test boost to help set PRs from college cardio bunnies. The pump from the gym is insane and the I lke the friendly and respectful atmosphere among people who work out.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    I've gotten better workouts, by far, once I built and started using my home gym. With a power rack, barbells, 120# Ironmaster DB's, leg press, benches, and some other miscellaneous equipment, I'm all set.

No fighting the crowd at the gym.
    No waiting for equipment
    No annual fees
    No crap music
    No lunk alarms, nosy personal trainers, or deadlift phobia
    No having to hurry a set because 8 people are in line for the squat rack (okay, that never happened)

That said, if you don't have enough space or equipment at home, you're better off sticking with a commercial gym. A set of perfect pushup handles and a bosu ball aren't going to get you anywhere.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100) lolbeast is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    I've gotten better workouts, by far, once I built and started using my home gym. With a power rack, barbells, 120# Ironmaster DB's, leg press, benches, and some other miscellaneous equipment, I'm all set.

No fighting the crowd at the gym.
    No waiting for equipment
    No annual fees
    No crap music
    No lunk alarms, nosy personal trainers, or deadlift phobia
    No having to hurry a set because 8 people are in line for the squat rack (okay, that never happened)

That said, if you don't have enough space or equipment at home, you're better off sticking with a commercial gym. A set of perfect pushup handles and a bosu ball aren't going to get you anywhere.
    sounds like a lot of money, how much?? where do you put it/how much space?

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by lolbeast View Post
    sounds like a lot of money, how much?? where do you put it/how much space?
    It's not all that much, in the big scheme of things. Most items you can find on CL since people buy things as a new year's resolution and then don't want it after 6 months. For instance, I picked up a Leg Press for $200 that is about $1,200 new. You just have to look around and build it a bit over time.

A good power rack, bench, and 300 lb. weight set give you a pretty good start. A lat tower with high and low pulley are a big plus, too. You can then spring for some adjustable DB's (expensive) or just use standard DB handles and plates and build your own (takes time to adjust weight). After that, things like the leg press are just "nice to have" items.

I have a basement, so it all goes down there. Since I have the room, it's spread out over around 500 square feet, but I could make do with quite a bit less.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Location: Nottingham/Derby, England, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sprog will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've got the powetec power rack with lat tower and bench package, 650lb weights, oly bar oly db handles oly ez bar. Pull up and dip bars came with rack and also lat bar and straight bar for the high/low pulleys. Also got for the bench add on leg accessories so i can add in extentions and leg curls to leg workout.

Nothing beats working at home
    Goal - keep lifting - get bigger - get stronger - result

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Troll got himself banned. Such is life.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would much rather work out at home, but lack the equipment right now.

Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Troll got himself banned. Such is life.
    Was he a troll? Looked through his posts and can't tell if he's a troll or just dumb.

How do you guys bench hard without spots?

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BartStare View Post
    There are hot chicks everywhere. If that's the only outside place you go, you could probably use the social interaction.
    Lol.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Power rack.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I don't use any extra equipment in a commercial gym compared to what I have at home - except sometimes the leg press. But I can front squat just above parallel as a good alternative for that

It all depends on what exercises you are planning on doing. One good thing about a commercial gym is the fixed dumbells. At home I have to fiddle with oly DB handles...

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Same way I would bench hard if i ever did actually use a spot?
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by TigerStealth View Post

While this may be true for some, I don't feel that way. I feel more motivation at home because I can workout as soon as I feel like it as opposed to having to jump in my car, drive to the gym, get changed and then workout. Having other people standing around when I lift doesn't add anything to my level of motivation. Most of the exercises that I'd be interested in doing, I can do at home (I don't need 400lbs of plates), and the "more exercises" part doesn't help me much because my workouts mainly consist of free-weight and body-weight exercises (which I can do at home).

Originally Posted by AnthonyStark View Post
    You "need" a leg press machine, a hack squat machine and all of the other things that you mentioned? Most people here would agree that they'd rather have barbells and dumbbells.