Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Perfect form

BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000)

Perfect form

im just wondering, i can do 5+ reps of 65lbs on the preacher curl with perfect form. that means when i do it i bring the bar all the way down until my arms are straight and then i bring the wait back up without moving anything but my forearms. then i bring the weight back down slowly and repeast. is this perfect form?

becuz the thing is, i have 14 inch biceps flexed (no im not fat) and i see other that are about my size doing like 95lbs but their form isn all that great. they bring the weight about halfway.

im just wondering what tru perfect form for preaher curls is. i watched some videos and even saw pros moving all about as they preacher curled. they would arc their back and kinda swing their shoulders

Wcustom is a name known to all. (+5000) Wcustom is a name known to all. (+5000) Wcustom is a name known to all. (+5000) Wcustom is a name known to all. (+5000) Wcustom is a name known to all. (+5000) Wcustom is a name known to all. (+5000) Wcustom is a name known to all. (+5000) Wcustom is a name known to all. (+5000) Wcustom is a name known to all. (+5000) Wcustom is a name known to all. (+5000) Wcustom is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Aren't you supposed to not bring your arms all the way down on Preacher Curls(not straight arms)?
    That's what I learnt.

BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Wcustom
    Aren't you supposed to not bring your arms all the way down on Preacher Curls(not straight arms)?
    That's what I learnt.

well this guy here is http://www.leehayward.com/workout_programs/preacher.jpg

if i didnt bring my arms all the way down, i could do a lot more. i want to find perfect form.

heres one in motion

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...acherCurl.html

i really hate seeing people forcing a whole set of preacher curls on a weight they obviously cant do. i also saw a guy doing 105 that was about my size bicep wise, he had wack form. arched his back and swung his shoulders. then i saw another guy that was bigger than me doing 85lbs, which was his max, with perfect form. im confused
    Last edited by BEhave; 10-20-2006 at 01:50 PM.

can somebody tell me perfect form for bench press also. i always have trouble with it. i can do about 165lbs (my max, i know im weak) at 153lbs.

societ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

hey.

for me, perfect form.. like going about 3/4 way down.. not totally straight.. but not half way either.. totally worked for me... my biceps get really sore and i can just really feel the work out

as to bench press, i try to close my shoulder blades together and puff out my chest a lil bit... bring it all the way down to your chest (don't bounce it off tho)

DerekS95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DerekS95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Make sure, also, that when your doing th bench press...when youre letting the weight down..your elbows should point out perpendicular to your body...isolating the pectorals.

BNJ45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BNJ45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BNJ45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BNJ45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BNJ45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BNJ45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

i do not do preacher curls but have seent the pictures you posted but on the regular biceps curl i know you are not supposed to go all the way down or up because i've read it in many orthopaedics, scholarly articles, and official guide book to weightlifting at my library. I've read that it tears the muscle too much and can lead to serious damage and more. your supposed to find a certain spot just before that "line" and bring the bar back up at that spot. also if it is heavy weight you can damage your lower back by bringing it all the way up this is obvious.

Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lintford is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I dont like preachers because of their wierd range of motion, If you do them, try em on the other side on the preacher curl bench, so that your arms hand vertically down.
    but who was lift

thx guys. i'll try your suggestions

Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Don't go till your arms are straight. One of the worst things you can do on any exercise. Straight arms in a gym = problems in the future

Originally Posted by Goofxta
    Don't go till your arms are straight. One of the worst things you can do on any exercise. Straight arms in a gym = problems in the future
    where should i go till then?

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BEhave
    im just wondering, i can do 5+ reps of 65lbs on the preacher curl with perfect form. that means when i do it i bring the bar all the way down until my arms are straight and then i bring the wait back up without moving anything but my forearms. then i bring the weight back down slowly and repeast. is this perfect form?

becuz the thing is, i have 14 inch biceps flexed (no im not fat) and i see other that are about my size doing like 95lbs but their form isn all that great. they bring the weight about halfway.

im just wondering what tru perfect form for preaher curls is. i watched some videos and even saw pros moving all about as they preacher curled. they would arc their back and kinda swing their shoulders
    No, perfect form means not completely straightening the arm. Keep them slightly bent and you'll hit the brachialis more which is the purpose of the exercise.

A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000)
    **** perfect form!!!!!!

It`s about muscle overload not form......................dont you get it ?????
    5'11 @ 220lbs.
    Disclaimer: This is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way, shape, or form encourage use nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of
    legal substances in an illegal manner. The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only and shall not take the place of qualified medical advice

Monash University '12 aestheticist's Avatar
    aestheticist is just really nice. (+1000) aestheticist is just really nice. (+1000) aestheticist is just really nice. (+1000) aestheticist is just really nice. (+1000) aestheticist is just really nice. (+1000) aestheticist is just really nice. (+1000) aestheticist is just really nice. (+1000) aestheticist is just really nice. (+1000) aestheticist is just really nice. (+1000) aestheticist is just really nice. (+1000) aestheticist is just really nice. (+1000)

re

as above, the worst thing to do with preacher curls is to fully straighten your arms. Simply lower them as far as you can without completly straightening them. Fully straigthening them puts pressure on your elbow tendons and ligaments, and gives your biceps a rest, which you dont want.

Xavier

(ps im no expert, or even very experianced, but my dad is a long time gym junkie and that was his advice to me)

A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000)

Do it like the pros do it, it`s the best way to achive total overload.

P.S- 65 lb dumbell preacher`s my warmup, no wonder you have 14 " guns.
    5'11 @ 220lbs.
    Disclaimer: This is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way, shape, or form encourage use nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of
    legal substances in an illegal manner. The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only and shall not take the place of qualified medical advice

MetzgerMeister has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MetzgerMeister has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MetzgerMeister has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MetzgerMeister has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MetzgerMeister has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MetzgerMeister has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You shouldn't pull your arms all the way to your shoulders.
    And swinging is cheating, cheating yourself.
    It's better to do lower weights properly then higher weights with cheating.

Originally Posted by MetzgerMeister
    You shouldn't pull your arms all the way to your shoulders.
    And swinging is cheating, cheating yourself.
    It's better to do lower weights properly then higher weights with cheating.

lol i dont swing my shoulders. but i see pros and bigger guys doing it all the time

lol i dont swing my shoulders. but i see pros and bigger guys doing it all the time

Yeah, bacause it works.......after you learn how to avoid injury go hard and heavy with DESCENT form !

PERFECT FORM is bull**** !

Trust me
    5'11 @ 220lbs.

KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KG89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile

I believe I have perfect form

Started at like no weight to master the form

just resisting down slow and getting the full range of motion with both right and left equal

I love seeing 90% of people having terrible form just to do more weight, meanwhile they arn't even getting the body part they want to work out
    KG

Swanny#88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Swanny#88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Swanny#88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    can somebody tell me perfect form for bench press also. i always have trouble with it. i can do about 165lbs (my max, i know im weak) at 153lbs.
    First of all your not weak, some people just have a harder time working on their chest, second for perfect form (in my opinion) you want to get a good grip, I like to use my thumbs and line them up with the inside edge of the grips on the bar, take it off the rack and DO NOT just let it basically drop to your chest, LOWER it to your chest, let it touch then shoot it back up above the point where you took it off the rack, and dont raise your hips off the bench, if you have to set your feet up on the bench while your work out to avoid this problem.
    Max Bench- 205
    Max Squat (Machine)- 420
    Max Squat (Barbell)-215
    Max Deadlift- 250
    Max Clean- 180
    Max Barbell Curl- 100
    Age- 16
    Weight- 145
    Body Fat- 7.5%

Misc Veteran Since '06 Le Derek's Avatar
    Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000)
    keeping your feet on the bench is a bad idea because you have no balance...keep both feet planted firmly on the floor
    I actually live in South Florida

*Keto Guy*

Swanny#88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Swanny#88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Swanny#88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Le Derek
    keeping your feet on the bench is a bad idea because you have no balance...keep both feet planted firmly on the floor
    Actually with your feet on the floor you run the risk of raising your hips off the bench and only cheating yourself when struggling to get it up, putting your feet on the bench will prevent this, an even more ensuring way is to cross your ankles and keep your knees at a 90 degree angle off the floor and off the bench (in the air), if you want reasurrance of my tips ask some pro weightlifters, and these 2 forms I have suggested shouldnt throw off your balance and if they do then you have more problems than just your form, maybe you should relearn how to bench, but I doubt you will find trouble with my suggestions.
    Max Bench- 205
    Max Squat (Machine)- 420
    Max Squat (Barbell)-215
    Max Deadlift- 250
    Max Clean- 180
    Max Barbell Curl- 100
    Age- 16
    Weight- 145
    Body Fat- 7.5%

ghostfacekilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostfacekilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostfacekilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostfacekilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostfacekilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostfacekilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostfacekilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostfacekilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostfacekilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostfacekilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostfacekilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You know what...any exercise that forces yourself to really just limit your strength, and use less weight is bad.

Do: hammer curls, alt. db curls, barbell curls

and since this thread got hijacked and now your talkign about benchpress. Putting your legs on the bench limits your strength too... its bad and stupid.
    I have seen a lot and I mean a lot of people in the gym and on these internet forums that are a buck 65 or two and change, shouting that you don’t have to lift heavy to get big
    -DC

Originally Posted by ghostfacekilla
    You know what...any exercise that forces yourself to really just limit your strength, and use less weight is bad.

Do: hammer curls, alt. db curls, barbell curls

and since this thread got hijacked and now your talkign about benchpress. Putting your legs on the bench limits your strength too... its bad and stupid.
    It does make it tougher to bench, because there is no possible way to cheat.
    Max Bench- 205
    Max Squat (Machine)- 420
    Max Squat (Barbell)-215
    Max Deadlift- 250
    Max Clean- 180
    Max Barbell Curl- 100
    Age- 16
    Weight- 145
    Body Fat- 7.5%

cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by A-rod
    Yeah, bacause it works.......after you learn how to avoid injury go hard and heavy with DESCENT form !

PERFECT FORM is bull**** !

Trust me
    No one has perfect form. There's no such thing. We all strive for good form. What you're describing is just poor form.

Originally Posted by Swanny#88
    It does make it tougher to bench, because there is no possible way to cheat.
    And it does make you look like an idiot. Every time I see someone benching like that I laugh. For two reasons I laugh: 1) They're always small. 2) They're lifting max, a plate and a quarter. Any of them who lifts more does the smart thing and plants their feet when they get above that. Show me anyone who benches a decent amount of weight and does it like that. All it does is put you in a bad, unanchored position.

Originally Posted by cssprophet
    No one has perfect form. There's no such thing. We all strive for good form. What you're describing is just poor form.

And it does make you look like an idiot. Every time I see someone benching like that I laugh. For two reasons I laugh: 1) They're always small. 2) They're lifting max, a plate and a quarter. Any of them who lifts more does the smart thing and plants their feet when they get above that. Show me anyone who benches a decent amount of weight and does it like that. All it does is put you in a bad, unanchored position.
    Ok, at least when you say its bad, you have a point and you know what your talkin about, I admit its not the best of things to do, but it does stop you from tending to lift your hips off the bench and cheat. Oh and one of my football coaches benches 380lbs as a max, (he doesnt weight over 200lbs) and he works out that way sometimes, even when pressing his max to avoid cheating.
    Last edited by Swanny#88; 10-21-2006 at 06:22 PM.
    Max Bench- 205
    Max Squat (Machine)- 420
    Max Squat (Barbell)-215
    Max Deadlift- 250
    Max Clean- 180
    Max Barbell Curl- 100
    Age- 16
    Weight- 145
    Body Fat- 7.5%

cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Swanny#88
    Ok, at least when you say its bad, you have a point and you know what your talkin about, I admit its not the best of things to do, but it does stop you from tending to lift your hips off the bench and cheat. Oh and one of my football coaches benches 380lbs as a max, (he doesnt weight over 200lbs) and he works out that way sometimes, even when pressing his max to avoid cheating.
    Well there's the guy pressing a lot of weight, but I think it would be better just to work on not raising your butt off the bench.

Originally Posted by cssprophet
    Well there's the guy pressing a lot of weight, but I think it would be better just to work on not raising your butt off the bench.
    Yep, your right, but I was just throwin suggestions out there.
    Max Bench- 205
    Max Squat (Machine)- 420
    Max Squat (Barbell)-215
    Max Deadlift- 250
    Max Clean- 180
    Max Barbell Curl- 100
    Age- 16
    Weight- 145
    Body Fat- 7.5%

well ive found using better form gives biceps better shape. i dunno

liftw8s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftw8s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftw8s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftw8s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftw8s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftw8s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftw8s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftw8s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftw8s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftw8s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftw8s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Its ok to cheat a little bit. But only if you start cheating at rep 6-8 and on your second set atleast. If you start cheating at rep 3-4 obviously the weight is too much for you. I believe cheating helps push your muscle to the limit, that's why even ronnie coleman cheats on his last few reps!!!
    I want to look like Stan McQuay