peeple of zee wurl relax! BurritoMan's Avatar
    BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10)

incline press before bench press

Seems most people do flat barbell bench before incline dumbell press. However I've been doing incline dumbell press before bench because that's what feels right to me. I think I have come to enjoy doing the incline dumbell press the most.

So, is there any really good reason why I should switch to doing flat barbell bench first like most people seem to?

Or, perhaps it would be better to do incline dumbell and then two other chest exercise one week, and flat barbell then two other chest exercise on the alternate week???

(Dips and cable xovers being the other two chest exercises most likely.)

thanks

Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by masfrijoles
    Seems most people do flat barbell bench before incline dumbell press. However I've been doing incline dumbell press before bench because that's what feels right to me. I think I have come to enjoy doing the incline dumbell press the most.

So, is there any really good reason why I should switch to doing flat barbell bench first like most people seem to?

Or, perhaps it would be better to do incline dumbell and then two other chest exercise one week, and flat barbell then two other chest exercise on the alternate week???

thanks
    I prefer dumbbells for presses. What helps is to start with incline DB presses followed by flat DB presses one week, then alternate the next week. The same thing can be done using the barbell
    If you are suffering from serious medical concerns please be sure to check with your doctor.

My name is Mark.

merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I see no reason why you shouldn't switch it at times. I will switch from different chest exercises first just to change my startup. Works well so I dont get bored..............

Eric
    Eric

"Sports do not build character. They reveal it."

"Thin skinned? Now that sounds like a way I could get more shredded....by having thinner skin." - Brackneyc

Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, this time more wisely.

Teacher and Bodybuilder BergMuscle's Avatar
    BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by merlinsrealm
    I see no reason why you shouldn't switch it at times. I will switch from different chest exercises first just to change my startup. Works well so I dont get bored..............

Eric
    Totally agree. Changing workouts is important to keep muscles growing. Switching from dumbells to barbells, or vice-versa, is a great way to do it. So is changing the order of exercises.

It isn't just you that can get bored, your muscles will too and slow down their growth (and we don't want that now do we).

bilnv will become famous soon enough. (+50) bilnv will become famous soon enough. (+50) bilnv will become famous soon enough. (+50) bilnv will become famous soon enough. (+50) bilnv will become famous soon enough. (+50) bilnv will become famous soon enough. (+50) bilnv will become famous soon enough. (+50) bilnv will become famous soon enough. (+50) bilnv will become famous soon enough. (+50) bilnv will become famous soon enough. (+50) bilnv will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do flat benches first because I want to keep my weight up for that exercise. If I was going for size only then I would put incline bench first. So I do not see anything wrong with doing inclines first.
    Journal @ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=681128

Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've heard that it's best to start with incline presses because the upper chest is harder to develop than the middle and lower chest.

hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Never!

Swoled Member has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swoled Member has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swoled Member has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

thanks
    Whether it's barbell or dumbell I do incline presses before flat.

After 5-6 sets of inclines my chest is pre-exhausted enough that I can't put up the weight on the flats that I could if I did them first. My chest feels more isolated on iclines than flat bench press.

JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i change the order of my routine every 6 weeks or so but i understand where you are coming from, my fav exercise is incline bb or db
    "You don't get big in the gym, you get big in the kitchen"

When you're this big, they call you MR.

5'6 224lbs

wizzard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Max-OT has you changing the order every 3-weeks to confuse muscle memory to stimulate max growth

Doing it right, I think. jspirate's Avatar
    jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jspirate has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

slightly OT...

I guess this is a bit off-topic, but I have been curious for awhile...

I am a bit stronger when it comes to decline than I am with flat-bench. I guess I am also a bit stronger on flat bench than I am on incline.

It seems to me that this would be fairly normal. Is it? Or would it be a good idea to try to round things out and focus on the weaker exercises a little more?

LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i change up my routine every 3-6 weeks by either replacing one exercise with another that works the same muscle(s) but from a slightly different angle, and/or mix up the order of the exercises. i may do 3 weeks of incline before flat bench, then 3 weeks with the order reversed--then the next three weeks change-out one set of barbell benches for dumbell bench presses, then after 3 weeks change-out the other. it is important to keep changing your routine to keep the muscles growing and get more fully developed muscle bodies by recruiting different fibers which comes from varied routines. i've read that after ~3 weeks, your muscles adapt to the new exercise, so it is good to mix up the order and swap out exercises in the routine.
    just my $0.02.

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jspirate
    I guess this is a bit off-topic, but I have been curious for awhile...

I am a bit stronger when it comes to decline than I am with flat-bench. I guess I am also a bit stronger on flat bench than I am on incline.

It seems to me that this would be fairly normal. Is it? Or would it be a good idea to try to round things out and focus on the weaker exercises a little more?
    Yes, that is normal for most I think.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I always tend to mix up the type of chest pressing movement I'll be doing to give another area of my chest some priority compared to the other parts. One week I'll start with flat, the next with incline, and perhaps the next with decline.... however if I had to start with one it would really depend upon what my priorities were.... if it was to gain strength, then no doubt flat bench would be number one... if it was to gain more size and look fuller, then without a doubt incline would be first. I have a decent upper chest due to my shoulder development but found my lower pecs did not exhibit the fullness I desired so I started adding in decline movements, sometimes even at the beginning of my chest workout to make sure that it was able to be worked hard and heavy and the process did help fill this area out. The first exercise you do will usually allow you to push the heaviest weight while you're still fresh and your muscles are not exhausted. Leaving to work a lagging bodypart towards to the end of your workout will only cause it to lag further behind in your ultimate physique vision.

nuff said...
    Holder of 4 National NPC Weight Class Titles in 4 different weight classes... all with perfect scores
    1998 NPC USA Bantamweight
    2003 NPC Masters National Lightweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Welterweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Middleweight (over 50)

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yes, the last two posts I agree 100%.

Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I agree with the mix it up/muscle confusion method. I'd even have incline only days:
    1. Flat bench neck breakers with spotter (or Smith Machine with stops set at above Adams Apple)
    2. Incline bench
    3. Incline dumbells
    4. Incline flys

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

thanks
    Matters of exercise selection and exercise order are TOTALLY an individual thing.

There is no right or wrong. There are guidelines, sure. But once the guidelines are followed and individual adaptation is made, you should do what your body tells you.

Bottom line: Do what you want.

Spitfire-1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spitfire-1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spitfire-1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spitfire-1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spitfire-1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spitfire-1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spitfire-1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spitfire-1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spitfire-1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spitfire-1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spitfire-1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

keep it different

barbell / dumbell / dips
    incline / decline / flat etc. etc.

JUST KEEP AWAY FROM SOME OF THOSE PONCY MACHINES THEY FEEL COMPELLED TO BUILD. AND ACTUALLY PUT IN SOME GYMS....LOL
    folk music makes me angry

mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_sargent will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Personally, I usually superset inclines and flat DB press, and whichever one I'm having the most difficulty with is the one I start with, so I'll be most fresh.

Mike
    Lifting bits of iron since 3/04.

2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Is it all right to use a DB pullover as a finishing exercise after a good chest workout?

fire is just really nice. (+1000) fire is just really nice. (+1000) fire is just really nice. (+1000) fire is just really nice. (+1000) fire is just really nice. (+1000) fire is just really nice. (+1000) fire is just really nice. (+1000) fire is just really nice. (+1000) fire is just really nice. (+1000) fire is just really nice. (+1000) fire is just really nice. (+1000)

thanks
    2 thoughts here: 1st thought. You said you do Inclines 1st because that is what feels right to you. With that said, do them 1st.

2nd thought which is the one I lean more towards is this:
    Alternate weekly. One week start with inclines either straight bar or DB's which ever you prefer. I prefer Db's.
    Next week start with Flat bench and again either Straight bar or DB.
    Reason: If you perform either one of these movements 1st every time, then the other movement will never be performed while you're 100 percent fresh.
    Brian aka: Fire

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by 2bbig
    Is it all right to use a DB pullover as a finishing exercise after a good chest workout?
    I actually look at the DB pullover, especially the cross-bench variety with the feet under the butt and the butt as low as possible, as more of a back excercise.

What I like to do is do my back day right afer my chest day, and start my back day with the cross-bench db pullovers.

Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I see alot of guys doing inclines at to steep of a angle that works the shoulders not the chest.
    I stay at no more than 30%.

bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000)
    I personally prefer to do flat bench before incline dumbell presses. But this like so many other things is just presonal preference.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by hapkido
    I see alot of guys doing inclines at to steep of a angle that works the shoulders not the chest.
    I stay at no more than 30%.
    I agree, keep the incline fairly low.

However, I do like to go over to the smith on db day and set a steep incline and there is a way to use it and with a good mind/muscle connection to activate the extreme upper pecs to push it up.

peeple of zee wurl relax! BurritoMan's Avatar
    BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) BurritoMan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for all these replies, lot of good info there.

I'm going to take the advice given to mix it up and alternate the order, so sometimes will switch to flat bb press first.

At least one person said do six weeks of one first then six weeks of the other first and my question is why every six weeks, why not just alternate every week?

pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all these replies, lot of good info there.

I'm going to take the advice given to mix it up and alternate the order, so sometimes will switch to flat bb press first.

At least one person said do six weeks of one first then six weeks of the other first and my question is why every six weeks, why not just alternate every week?

i alternate every week then change exercises every 8 weeks

eg flat bb /incline db one week incline bb/flat db next week for 8 weeks

then flat smith machine /incline db flye one week incline bb/flat db flye next week for 8weeks also add cable crossovers /dbpullovers

i do it this way because 8 weeks give me enough time to add 20/30 lb on bb
    smith machine keeps me improving and breaking my pb
    Last edited by pumpinainteasy; 10-20-2006 at 12:21 PM.
    its a new day and i am ready to lift in the right way, oats peanut butter and a banana is my breakfast for this day. when i go to the gym i dont go to play and i let no one get in my way .
    ME

Legs days are what seperates the men from the boys. Hell arms... joke. Chest... that's for fun. Back... not even close. Shoulders? Walk in the park. Legs are what seperates the recreational lifter from the truly intense. Just keep that in mind whenever you feel like skimping on leg day.
    str8flexed