olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000)

Squat/deadlift form check (vids included)

G'day all,

Please review my form with squats- I only went to parallel because thats all thats required in a meet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bx_6BTo5hw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXWZXxACuoc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk5GbEnPaz4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYGxLC0J5kQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRUxufNQacQ

And here are the deadlifts- only went light because I'd maxed out on squats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrjnKVyiBng

Let me know if any of the links don't work.
    I can do all things through Christ, because he gives me strength- Philippians 4:13

TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Awesome squats mate!!
    Shame about the 160KG!!

Excellent DL form. I like the total deload and stand up between reps, I used to do them like that and will do again!!

Good stuff!!
    My PowerLifting journal!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139726173&p=781873953&posted=1#post781873953

Nikon D90

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

Your form is spot on. Nice work. BTW, you are going well below parallel in those squats.
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    yeah, well below parallel for sure - nice work.

It looks to me that when you come up from the bottom of your squat you are leading withthe hips a little too much, causing your torso to lurch forward, which I'd imagine is straining the lower back.

Try to focus on keeping your weight on your heels as you push out of the bottom IMO.

Deads look perfect IMO.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by olympic
    G'day all,

Please review my form with squats- I only went to parallel because thats all thats required in a meet.
    Olympic, deadlift form was spot on. Nice work. Regarding the squats, form was pretty good although like someone else said try to lead with the upper back as you come up rather than the hips, keeping your chest up. As Tate explains it, really drive your upper back into the bar and finally push those hips through. It's something I always keep in mind anyway.

One thing I'm curious about though, how come you face away from the supports and walk out in reverse? Backing into them to unrack the bar only makes the process so much harder and to me it seems dangerous with heavy weight because you can't see what you're doing. I'd be facing the other way.

Shittygeneticsomorph BBing_Addict's Avatar
    BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    Olympic, deadlift form was spot on. Nice work. Regarding the squats, form was pretty good although like someone else said try to lead with the upper back as you come up rather than the hips, keeping your chest up. As Tate explains it, really drive your upper back into the bar and finally push those hips through. It's something I always keep in mind anyway.

One thing I'm curious about though, how come you face away from the supports and walk out in reverse? Backing into them to unrack the bar only makes the process so much harder and to me it seems dangerous with heavy weight because you can't see what you're doing. I'd be facing the other way.
    im pretty sure he does it becuase of the mirror, he is trying not to use it as it is not there when in a meet.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by BBing_Addict
    im pretty sure he does it becuase of the mirror, he is trying not to use it as it is not there when in a meet.
    I can understand wanting to get accustomed to not squatting in front of a mirror, but it still seems a lot more dangerous fumbling around back there trying to unrack the bar. Not the way I'd want to be doing them.

Shittygeneticsomorph BBing_Addict's Avatar
    BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I can understand wanting to get accustomed to not squatting in front of a mirror, but it still seems a lot more dangerous fumbling around back there trying to unrack the bar. Not the way I'd want to be doing them.

yea true. it seems that the supports in that rack can also be placed on the other side, which would avoid walking back to re-rack the bar and still not facing the mirror.

Originally Posted by BBing_Addict
    yea true. it seems that the supports in that rack can also be placed on the other side, which would avoid walking back to re-rack the bar and still not facing the mirror.
    Exactly. That's why I was confused why he chose to do them that way.

olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for all the comments guys- I'll definately try pushing with my upper back when in the hole from now on.

Dominik- yeah its so I can get used to not having a mirror. I tried putting the stoppers on the other side of the rack, but the holes are too big and they go all over the place. Unfortunately I don't have much choice doing it like this- its either do it without the mirror, with a little bit of danger, or with the mirror, and personally I would prefer without the mirror.
    I can do all things through Christ, because he gives me strength- Philippians 4:13

Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Awesome stuff Olympic! Like everyone else said, great form. It's good to see Ballarat represented so well

Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaffigan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    All of your lifts looked really good, and that is some pretty good weight that you were lifting, too. The only thing that caught my eye was how you would Deadlift for a repetition, set the bar down, and then Deadlift for another repetition?!? If that is a style of lifting that you do to increase power or something, that is fine, but if you were doing a set, I would do it like a regular set (do not set the bar down between repetitions) and keep the weight moving. Also, your grip will be tighter and stronger on the bar because you will have time to really get a good squeeze on the bar, rather than just quickly grabbing the bar between repetitions and going from there. It is just some food for thought to think about . . .

gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bravissimo! Good form on both. The only thing that made me laugh was gripping the deadlift bar without looking at it.

LOL, kinda funny.
    The secret to big muscles is setting their IP-s from the server to the host and chat with one another.

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    looks good....maybe some tiny points

as already stated, push with the upperbody into the bar as well as pushing with the hips/legs etc......the way you are doing it now makes it slightly into a "2 step" process coming up.....the hips come up, head stays down for a sec....which puts the bar a little forward....then you have to sort of do a good morning action to get the bar back where it goes.....if you check your bar path on the upstroke you see it isnt quite a straight line

also, on some of the squats...like the failed 160...it looks to me like you are spending too much time in the hole.....you need to just hit your depth and then explode back up....its called "reversal strength".....really use that stretch reflex to help power you out of the hole......

at times I have done the same thing, when going really deep I tended to sit in the hole for too long trying to ease down that extra millimeter or something....thats a recipe for a stuck squat a foot out of the hole

instead keep everything tight and reverse it really quickly and fire up hard

---

are you feeling tension in your hips?.....maybe not since you appear to be goign narrow stanced etc....but try to feel tension in your hips on the way down so you can use them also to fire back up.....sometimes pushing outward with the knees will help.....push the knees outward going down to spread the load out to the hips

JP
    "Humility comes before honor"

Originally Posted by Gaffigan
    All of your lifts looked really good, and that is some pretty good weight that you were lifting, too. The only thing that caught my eye was how you would Deadlift for a repetition, set the bar down, and then Deadlift for another repetition?!? If that is a style of lifting that you do to increase power or something, that is fine, but if you were doing a set, I would do it like a regular set (do not set the bar down between repetitions) and keep the weight moving.
    Since his main goal is to compete in PL, doing his rep work as a sequence of singles will have greater carryover to what he needs to do on a stage which is lift a 1RM.

Personally I like, and use, both approaches. I like staying down for rep work because it's harder generating all that force without taking advantage of the stretch reflex when you stand up again. That's where I want to make myself work as hard as possible.

Originally Posted by Couldbebigga
    Awesome stuff Olympic! Like everyone else said, great form. It's good to see Ballarat represented so well
    Thanks mate.. you from Australia/Ballarat yourself?

Originally Posted by gy1
    Bravissimo! Good form on both. The only thing that made me laugh was gripping the deadlift bar without looking at it.

LOL, kinda funny.
    Thanks mate.. I'm not sure why thats funny though, maybe the joke has gone over my head?

Originally Posted by John Prophet
    looks good....maybe some tiny points

as already stated, push with the upperbody into the bar as well as pushing with the hips/legs etc......the way you are doing it now makes it slightly into a "2 step" process coming up.....the hips come up, head stays down for a sec....which puts the bar a little forward....then you have to sort of do a good morning action to get the bar back where it goes.....if you check your bar path on the upstroke you see it isnt quite a straight line

also, on some of the squats...like the failed 160...it looks to me like you are spending too much time in the hole.....you need to just hit your depth and then explode back up....its called "reversal strength".....really use that stretch reflex to help power you out of the hole......

at times I have done the same thing, when going really deep I tended to sit in the hole for too long trying to ease down that extra millimeter or something....thats a recipe for a stuck squat a foot out of the hole

instead keep everything tight and reverse it really quickly and fire up hard

---

are you feeling tension in your hips?.....maybe not since you appear to be goign narrow stanced etc....but try to feel tension in your hips on the way down so you can use them also to fire back up.....sometimes pushing outward with the knees will help.....push the knees outward going down to spread the load out to the hips

JP
    Thanks for the tips. I'll try to remember to fire out of the hole a lot more quickly. In regards to the hip question- you can't tell from the vid, but I'm actually using quite a wide stance- between sumo and shoulder width. So my hips do get hit pretty hard, and yes I do push my knees out, although you cant tell from the vid either. Next time I take a vid of squats I'll do it from a 45* angle so this is more clear. And yes.. I just watched the vid again and the bar isn't going in a straight line. I'll work on this too

Since his main goal is to compete in PL, doing his rep work as a sequence of singles will have greater carryover to what he needs to do on a stage which is lift a 1RM.

Personally I like, and use, both approaches. I like staying down for rep work because it's harder generating all that force without taking advantage of the stretch reflex when you stand up again. That's where I want to make myself work as hard as possible.
    Thanks for clearing that up for the guy above lol. I pretty much do what everyone else does- rep work for my warmups, with a pronated grip and then when I'm doing my working sets revert back to resetting after each deweight.
    Last edited by olympic; 10-02-2006 at 06:12 PM.

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    And yes.. I just watched the vid again and the bar isn't going in a straight line. I'll work on this too
    well, just push back with the upperbody against the bar as you come out of the hole etc.....that should fix the bar path issue
    "Humility comes before honor"

KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great vids overall id say, you deadlift with the same form i do.
    "I'm worried about deadlifts too. I mean the word "dead" has got to be in there for a reason. Are you sure they won't kill me?" - olympic

Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks mate.. you from Australia/Ballarat yourself?

Thanks mate.. I'm not sure why thats funny though, maybe the joke has gone over my head?

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to remember to fire out of the hole a lot more quickly. In regards to the hip question- you can't tell from the vid, but I'm actually using quite a wide stance- between sumo and shoulder width. So my hips do get hit pretty hard, and yes I do push my knees out, although you cant tell from the vid either. Next time I take a vid of squats I'll do it from a 45* angle so this is more clear. And yes.. I just watched the vid again and the bar isn't going in a straight line. I'll work on this too

Thanks for clearing that up for the guy above lol. I pretty much do what everyone else does- rep work for my warmups, with a pronated grip and then when I'm doing my working sets revert back to resetting after each deweight.
    Yeah, from Sydney. I worked at *** for a while and a few of the guys there had worked in the manufacturing plant in Ballarat and loved the place.

matl33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matl33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matl33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matl33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matl33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matl33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matl33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matl33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matl33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matl33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matl33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

nice form mna

Nice form man

ellsbebc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ellsbebc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ellsbebc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ellsbebc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ellsbebc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ellsbebc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ellsbebc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ellsbebc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ellsbebc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ellsbebc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ellsbebc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by matl33 View Post
    Nice form man

Strong bump is strong. Almost 4 years

jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by matl33 View Post
    Nice form man
    idiot