CTfl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Squats without a squat rack?

Since I'm a college student with no money left I no longer have a gym membership. I can still get by with stuff I have, a bench, various bars, etc.. but I do not have a squat rack and really don't have the room or money to purchase one. What I've been doing is taking weight that I'm comfortable lifting above my head (only about half the weight that I could normally squat) and resting it across my shoulders. Then I procede to do about 3 sets of 17 reps. With heavier weight I usually do 3 sets of 10 reps. I'm not really looking to make my quads much bigger but I know that squats are one of the best excercises out there. They're actually my favorite next to bench press too. Are the low weight/high reps going to be anywhere near as effective? By the way, I've tried forward squats with the bar resting on the elbow joints and it seemed uncomfortable. Besides that, I can't really do heavyweight like this anyway. Thanks in advance for any information/suggestions.
    Last edited by CTfl; 01-13-2002 at 08:19 PM.

ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    There are a few squat variations you can try; zercher squats,hack squats or overhead squats.You don't need a squat rack and they are very taxing on the legs,hips and low back.

jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Exclamation

It sounds like given that you wouldn't do real heavy weight in the first place, you're not trying to bulk up. Plus, given the low weight and high reps, you're really training for endurance and not hypertrophy.

You'll be able to maintain your current strength but you should be careful about increasing the weight as you have no squat rack and it sounds like you're in cramped quarters and you may be compromising your form which can definitely lead to injury.

Some people swear by front squats, if it works them, fine, I don't know how much of a difference it makes because it's only a few degrees different from the posterior placement. I know I'm gonna get a ton of people praising the front squat, but if you tried it and you were uncomfortable, don't do it.

Question Thanks for the info!

Anyone have any illustrations or info on hack squats? I've always heard of them but never seen them done. I used to have my Arnold Encyclopedia but I have no idea what happened to it. Probably would've been handy. Oh well.

ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballast is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs up Thanks.

Thanks again for the info?