diesel6304 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diesel6304 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diesel6304 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diesel6304 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diesel6304 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diesel6304 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) diesel6304 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Integrating 5x5 into a 4-Day Split

As I get ready to head back into college for the fall semester, I want to get my training program ready. After a long summer of working shifts and being on my feet, I'm anxious to be back in school with a lot more time to devote to training and a lot less strain on my body. This summer, I've used a three-day a week MWF split. I've been doing 5x5 for about 5 weeks now and I've really loved the results and how I feel. I never feel sore or sluggish, always intense and focused on my lifts.

However, up at school I've usually used 4-day split programs because, well to be honest I like being at the gym, it's my escape from the lazy, sedentary classroom hours. I was wondering if anyone has modified the program or used it on a 4-day schedule and what they included to make 4 workouts out of 3. I'm also considering Westside as a program, although I don't have access to chains, bands, or boards so it really makes it tough to get those kind of movements accomplished. I used Max-OT for most of the year last year, but I'm really focused on my numbers right now and building strength as much as possible so let me know if you guys can suggest a solid program.

NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYTEYED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would sugest that you stick to the 5x5. If you want to spend extra time in the gym do active recovery on nonlifting days. GPP, situps or crunches, mat stretching, maybe even a little cardio; just don't sabotage the good work w/ 5x5.

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well, if you like being in the gym that much (not that I blame you), then 5X5 might not be the program for you. I'd be hesitant to try to mess with 5X5's structure to turn it into a 4 day program. So, do like the other guy said, and add a GPP day. That's lotsa fun, or do what you suggested, go with Westside. You don't neccessarily HAVE to have chains and bands to use westside. I use it and I don't have chains or bands (though I'm fixing to get some). You could also just do a good old upper lower split with a strength focus (which is basically what westside is).
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.