Closed Thread
    Shielder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shielder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shielder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shielder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Are there any Strongman/powerlifters/strenght athletes here?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there are, I would like to know which kind of routines you follow! I'm going to start with Starting strenght, it seems really good for getting some solid strenght.

I'm basically going for strenght and overall bigness, like strongman and rugby players and such, so their path is mine path. I want to become a hybrid between a rugby player and a strongman (the speed, power and strenght).

I know everyone reacts a bit different to weight training, but I think the basic guideline should be the same, right?

With what kind of routines did you guys start with? And how did you guys evolve with your training?

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    The BEST routine is the following:

Leave the misc. section and never return. Read everything in the powerlifting/strongman and sports training sections.

Shielder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shielder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shielder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shielder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I posted there also, but I'm not getting any responses

Things move a bit more faster in this section, so does anyone here fall into this catagory?

tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Shielder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there are, I would like to know which kind of routines you follow! I'm going to start with Starting strenght, it seems really good for getting some solid strenght.

I'm basically going for strenght and overall bigness, like strongman and rugby players and such, so their path is mine path. I want to become a hybrid between a rugby player and a strongman (the speed, power and strenght).

I know everyone reacts a bit different to weight training, but I think the basic guideline should be the same, right?

With what kind of routines did you guys start with? And how did you guys evolve with your training?
    Young grasshopper... I am a rugby player and competed in SM contests.... how may I assist you?
    http://www.lirugby.com

Atheism (n): What makes sense.

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Exclamation

Although I'm not a strongman, powerlifter or bodybuilder - I like strength and train for that, so I guess you could say that I'm a strength trainer. My specific area of interest is in grip strength and training the grip. If you decide to pursue strongman, one of the things that you'll need to do is train your grip; grip strength is VERY important in strongman events.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by John Hicks
    Although I'm not a strongman, powerlifter or bodybuilder - I like strength and train for that, so I guess you could say that I'm a strength trainer. My specific area of interest is in grip strength and training the grip. If you decide to pursue strongman, one of the things that you'll need to do is train your grip; grip strength is VERY important in strongman events.
    Yes, indeed...

in my peak as a SM athlete I was able to pinch grip a 45 York with each hand and lift... and was able to do the same with the right hand with a blob and clean it.

Hell, I used to train with Mannino (you may have heard of him, Hicks) and he was a sick grip competitor.

My grip strength came from my constant deadlifting without straps as I didn't do many grip exercises specifically. Once in awhile we did the wrist roller... when I was training with John I was able to do 4 plates up and down no problem and he was at 5-6. Since then he has since went on to bigger and better things in SM/Grip and I went on to concentrate almost solely on rugby.

One of the best things I was told, and used, was to used large army bags filled with sand and lift with them. Make some atlas stones and lift them and never use straps.
    Last edited by tightheadprop; 06-30-2006 at 09:27 PM.
    http://www.lirugby.com

Atheism (n): What makes sense.