pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Anyone fighting gout?

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here. I am 47 and have been lifting (on and off) since I was 15.

I am currently on a 5 day workout program (chest, back, legs, sholders, arms). I vary my workouts and routines to keep things fresh. I am currently on an 11 week program with the goal to bench 335 at the end. I am 6 weeks in the program that includes working percentages of one rep max for a variety of chest, shoulder, and tricep movements.

Anyway, I look forward to posting here as this looks like a knowledgeable bunch. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who suffers from gout (I do) and what strategies you may be using to ensure adequate protein intake without aggravating the condition.

Thanks,
    Ray

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am gout-prone. I found that increasing my protein intake has not aggravated it. I am not on any gout medications and I keep things at bay by drinking lots of water. Anytime my big toe joint feels gouty I drink more water and take a supplement called Goutrin by Organika. It contains Black Cherry, Thyme, Celery Seed and Mint powders and it seems to help.
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks Joel. I generally get my attacks in my ankles and knees. I do take allopurinol, 100 mgs, per day. Unfortunately red meat can trigger attacks, so I have to refrain from it.

I will look into the "goutin".

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've also had bouts of it since I was late teens/early twenties... big toe. Occasionally it comes back for a short while then goes away. In the beginning I took Zyloprim (allopurinol) but I just got away from it. The attacks are so transitory they don't seem to be worth bothering about.

I think more water is the key to flushing out the uric acid and diluting it, to keep the crystals from forming.

Sorry I can't offer more... sometimes I'm just plain useless.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There is a theory that anti-oxidants can help with gout-(this part is from memory so may not be accurate) I believe it's because Uric Acid is an antioxidant so if you have plenty you won't make extra uric. Panthonic Acid helps along with black cherry juice and stinging nettle should help. Allipurinol is cheap and effective and safe so don't suffer.
    Last edited by johnnyironboard; 05-08-2006 at 04:41 PM.

There may be a lot of truth in you say jib. I am a big believer in alpha lipoic acid, and I find that taking that (600mgs a day) helps fight inflammation and I also think it helps to prevent attacks, though my info is all anecdotal.

Ray

FittyFour is just really nice. (+1000) FittyFour is just really nice. (+1000) FittyFour is just really nice. (+1000) FittyFour is just really nice. (+1000) FittyFour is just really nice. (+1000) FittyFour is just really nice. (+1000) FittyFour is just really nice. (+1000) FittyFour is just really nice. (+1000) FittyFour is just really nice. (+1000) FittyFour is just really nice. (+1000) FittyFour is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by pastorgbc
    I was wondering if there is anyone out there who suffers from gout (I do) and what strategies you may be using to ensure adequate protein intake without aggravating the condition.
    I've been lucky to have only suffered a gout attack once. Not a fun thing to go thru - can't imagine having to deal with this as a chronic condition...but I hope the symptoms are mild for you.

I'm sure you've done your homework and research - but thought I'd pass on this link to a 12-year study done on gout sufferers:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/475350_2

Similar info here:

http://tinyurl.com/fralh

(*The original NEJM article is only avaiable to paid subscribers)

Some of the conclusions are interesting - the link to higher incidence of gout in meat and seafood eaters, the possible protective effects of dairy (which is also a good source of protein), etc.

Increasing liquids seems to be a good start as well - becoming dehydrated even slightly could set off an attack.

Hope this helps.
    Knocked down seven times, stand up eight.

NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had several gout attacks, went on Allopurinol like yourself for about 2 years. I dont like taking meds for life so i slowly went off. Now 4 years later no problems. I still keep my meds on hand if i get " that feeling" but so far so good. I dont drink any alcohol to speak of and drink plenty of water. I thought like you that more protein would do me in for sure.... not so far(fingers crossed). Good Luck.

mamaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey everyone,

This is my first post here. I am 47 and have been lifting (on and off) since I was 15.

I am currently on a 5 day workout program (chest, back, legs, sholders, arms). I vary my workouts and routines to keep things fresh. I am currently on an 11 week program with the goal to bench 335 at the end. I am 6 weeks in the program that includes working percentages of one rep max for a variety of chest, shoulder, and tricep movements.

Anyway, I look forward to posting here as this looks like a knowledgeable bunch. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who suffers from gout (I do) and what strategies you may be using to ensure adequate protein intake without aggravating the condition.

Thanks,
    Ray
    Watch the red meat and add some Black Cherry Extract to your diet.
    Jill

HANK178 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a question, what does alcohol have to do with the gout? My dad had it (I know I will too) but he used to get completely &hit faced, said it was bad for the gout, but made the pain more tolerable.

edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have fought gout for almost 20 years. I take 300 mgs of allopurinol daily. I've been lucky in that I haven't had a full blown attack in my toe. I did have a couple of kidney stones a couple of years back. I guess there are two types of stones you can have, mine was a uric acid type (gout), so I got back on the medicine. Organ meats & Sardines get mine going bad (I feel it in my joints, especially my knees), so I try to avoid that and I drink a ton of water (120 oz or more per day).

Alcohol causes uric acid levels to rise substantially. It also dehydrates you which is a double whammy.

There are so many reasons to quit drinking and this is one more.

Ray

MEL GIBSON has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MEL GIBSON has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MEL GIBSON has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    ALKALINE body is healthy an acidic body is unhealthy , amino acids from protein can lead to a acid body. yes uric acid but the culprit is oxalic acid , if you have high levels of oxalic acid you have stones gout arthritis and other problems.
    I HAVE LETHAL GUNZ

powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I don't even know what "Gout" is
    Racism is completely irrational.

Raising taxes never created a single job.

NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by powerman2000
    I don't even know what "Gout" is
    Consider yourself lucky.

I get it in my ankle and hands, as well as toe. I have a script for allopurinol but don't take it often. I've gotten to know my body and when an attack is starting to happen. Then I'k take it, some anti-inflamatory and plenty of water. Excess ham kills me.
    My famous work quote:

I can live with a little pain and 18+" arms,
    I can't live with the pain of having little 14" arms

Ah, the Gospel of John. I am currently teaching it verse by verse on the TV program from our church.

I agree that you should consider yourself lucky not to suffer from gout. When I was younger I thought it was some kind of joke...how bad could a swollen big toe be, right?

I had a mild case in my toe, then about two months later, on a business trip to France, my right ankle swelled to about three times its size and I was in excrutiating pain.

I've had many attacks since then in both knees, both ankles, my elbows. It is under control (Lord Willing), but I really need to watch what I eat.

Thanks for commiserating with me.

Ray

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jtroster is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Had to post this link
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

I love the picture. I guess naming your place after the "King's Disease" exudes quite an air of confidence.

Ray

NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPC_Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Taking allopurinol right now. Was off for about three months since I changed diet, killing all those pureens (wtf). But blood test showed elevated uric acid so, I'm on the drug again. Can I tell you I had the whole drug crazy pill pushing doctors! But he is noteing uric acid issues show a kidney issue, so better to be prepared then caught off guard.

Left big toe. Unless you have had it the pain can't compare to any heavy lifting you have ever done. Give me deep squats for 50 anyday.
    Last edited by NPC_Jim; 05-12-2006 at 10:48 AM.

edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50) edvanp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Agree Jim, the time I had it the worse, all I can compare it too is someone sticking needles or small chunks of glass into my joint.

Jim D. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jim D. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jim D. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jim D. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jim D. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jim D. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jim D. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jim D. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jim D. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jim D. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jim D. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was wondering if there is anyone out there who suffers from gout (I do) and what strategies you may be using to ensure adequate protein intake without aggravating the condition.
    I have been visiting this site for a long time but never joined--until I saw your question about gout and felt I had to reply. Like someone else in this thread, I too hate the thought of taking medications for life, BUT I have made an exception in the case of allopurinol. I have been taking one pill a day for almost two years now and have had no significant gout attacks since--mine were getting worse all the time and I had never experienced any pain like it. I have had no side effects to the medicine whatever, and I do not restrict my diet in any way. I have increased my protein intake because of working out--with no ill effect. And I have wine with dinner. All the things you are not supposed to do with gout. Actually many authorities now believe that food and drink have nothing to do with the disease. So I highly recommend allopurinol. And there is a good book on the subject: Getting Rid of Gout by Bryan Emmerson.

Good luck,
    Jim

NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10) NashvilleBound is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Come on guys STOP DESCRIBING IT.....damn....it makes my toe hurt But since you are............
    I always describe it as all the muscles in the toe tearing in half with each step and if your in bed the vibration of someone walking accross the floor is intollerable. The gout was only 2nd to my kidney stones in which my ass never touched the hospitol gurney the whole time.....course getting the morphine didnt hurt any.
    Bottled water, bottled water, bottled water........