Thread: Static holds

peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Static holds

anyone utilize static holds in there routines and what kind of effect have you noticed?
    anything else pertinant
    Henry Rollins
    It took me years to fully appreciate the value of the lessons I have learned from the Iron... I learned that nothing good comes without work and a certain amount of pain. When I finish a set that leaves me shaking, I know more about myself. When something gets bad, I know it can't be as bad as that workout.

Sensei Creese:Cobra KAi founder
    Mercy is for the weak, we do not train to be merciful here, a man faces you, he is the enemy, the enemy deserves no mercy...

Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I got help from them in two areas, one I was having problems at about 2/3 of the way from locking out my dead lifts years ago so I set up a rack where I could just hold the bar in that position for about 5 or maybe ten seconds
    It also helped when I had a weak right wrist to get the tendon strength up.
    HuH?

Milk does a body good. Sir_Malak's Avatar
    Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Bicep curls usually one all sets but mainly the last or first ill hold the db/bb at the 90degree position for as long as i can and then easily lower it. Helped me alot in str as well as some mass.
    2014 Misc Raw Bench Press Contest winner in the 276lb+ 555lb lift @ ~280lbs
    2014 Obtained goal of 600+ raw bench press. Shoulder also hates me.
    2015 Lost 110 lbs and currently enjoy being healthy. Retired heavy bench press.
    2016 Stay healthy? Help others?
    2017 Staying Healthy
    2018 Might Return To The Game

Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do planks and other holds for abs. I find that it makes me feel very stable when I'm doing other exercises. Also, it works transverse adominis (the deep muscle that goes crosswise under the abs and obliques) This helps keep your waist small.

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by peregrine
    anyone utilize static holds in there routines and what kind of effect have you noticed?
    anything else pertinant
    yup. helps your support grip and also has helped my traps

WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Choktu
    I do planks and other holds for abs. I find that it makes me feel very stable when I'm doing other exercises. Also, it works transverse adominis (the deep muscle that goes crosswise under the abs and obliques) This helps keep your waist small.
    could u explain the planks hold for abs?

on topic: i use static holds for biceps on curls and pullups

musclar smurfette Sunshineslynn's Avatar
    Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Planks -

Lift your body of the ground on your elbows and toes. Contract your abdominals and relax your shoulders. Remember to breath. Relax your neck.

Movement: No movement, just hold that plank position ... keep holding you can work your way up to 1min holds.

smiles
    s
    "You can't take some pill and hope your fat will jump off of you like you have the plague. You must work out and eat clean to have a lean, green, fighting machine." Sunshineslynn

'If you always do what you always did, then you will always get what you always do'

I dip, you dip, we all dip....dip to the east, dip to the west ......dip to get that tricep.

SugarJay3521 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SugarJay3521 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use them for bench pressing (mostly incline). When I get done with a set, sometimes I will just hold for as long as I can at the top of the movement before I put the weigh back on the rack. I found that it gets you a better pump at the time as well as close the gap in the middle over a course of time. -Jay
    "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
    -Gen. George S. Patton

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    used to, very good for static (support) grip strength.
    <->

Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the other bit of form with planks is to keep your body in an absolutely straight line from feet to neck. Don't let your hips rise or the pressure gets placed more in the hip flexors than the abs.

[[Insert title here]] superfunk's Avatar
    superfunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superfunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superfunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superfunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superfunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superfunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superfunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superfunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superfunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superfunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superfunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I do SLDL's without straps, and once i got above 100kg for 8 reps my grip strength quickly became a problem. I started doing BB static holds after i finished my SLDL's. My grip doesn't limit me anymore and my forearms have put on some noticeable size to boot.

momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yeah, I love them. Not only works your grip, but it strengthens your whole body once you start to get to the heavy weights.

Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by superfunk
    I do SLDL's without straps, and once i got above 100kg for 8 reps my grip strength quickly became a problem. I started doing BB static holds after i finished my SLDL's. My grip doesn't limit me anymore and my forearms have put on some noticeable size to boot.
    In this case,you do statics at the top of the movement? i.e you stand upright with the bar touching your quads?
    My goal when I come in everyday is to make sure if somebody beats me,it is not because they outwork me. ~Layne Norton.