Chrisanator has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile New to BB Forums, Would like some advice/tips/thoughts on my problems

*Please read this first. I wasn't quite sure which area in the forum to put this under, but putting most of info in this post aside, this post is about a workout program that i've decided to do, and does include it near the end of my post. I'm just giving people some detailed information about me so they know what kind of person I am, and what would work best.*

I started my first post over in the teen section, then realised that there were younger teens replying to my thread. I'm 19, and i realized that maybe i should be posting in the general area over than the teen forums so I can get some better info (No offense to the younger group, I just feel that the older more mature people would have better responses to my questions.) So here it goes, I'll just copy what i started over in my other post over to here:

"Hey all hows it goin..As i stated I just signed up to the forums. I'm really confused about what to do about working out and getting into a routine and whatnot and i keep hearing so many different ideas from a bunch of different people/websites. So, maybe some of you could help me out? I'll just start off by saying a bit about myself to save you from asking most questions about me. I'm 19, about 5'8 and 130-135lbs. I was born with quite a fast metabolism and it really isn't helping for when i want to put on weight. My goals are to gain some mass ( I would like to get up to about 155-165 for now), and stay more toned as opposed to just looking big. I'm currently taking Bio-x xtreme whey protein isolate, mammoth 2500 weight gainer(havent started taking it yet), multi-vitamins, and GNC creatine(I know i know, i'm not going back to GNC don't worry). I don't really have a specific workout plan because well, I don't know whats best for getting the results for my goal. I've just seen too many different ways to do things, i.e. going 3 times a week, going 5 time a week, doing so many excercises per group, spacing out the muscle groups, etc. Could someone give me some advice on gaining weight for having such a fast metabolism, and also a suggest workout routine etc.? thx."

This was in my previous post. I'll elaborate a little more on it now. Let me first just talk about my experiences with working out so far. A few years ago I only weighed about 115lbs and i decided that i wanted to get bigger. 2 years ago i started going to the gym in around August. I went pretty steadily until about november, became lazy and took a while off, and then started back last year around March. In june of last year I was in my friend's car when he got into a car accident, resulting in me having a pretty badly broken arm. I wore a cast until october, and i finished physio in december. I just started going back to the gym about 4 weeks ago, but on the odd days because My friends wanted to go with me, and they would usually bail out right when we were about to go, and i ended up not going.

Now i'm determined to go, whether with a friend or not, and i need to come up with a good workout plan. I've had someone respond to my other post giving me links to look at. Please, to anyone who would be giving me advice, don't point me to other pages that have workout plans. This is because i already have looked all over, at different programs, etc. and it just makes me MORE confused, for the sole reason well that... they're all different and apparently do the same thing. So many people would just say, "well, try them out and see what one works best", But Its not really in my best interest to do so, because I really don't want to start off by wasting my time trying different workout programs and finding out weeks/months later that they arent helping. So what i've just talked about should prevent some unneeded responses/questions that i may get. Also, maybe it would be good if i could get some responses from people who have gotten bigger, who have/used to have a fast metabolism. I already know i have to consume quite a bit of food during the day, every 2-3 hours or so i think, which i do find quite hard seeing as how i am at work during the day, and i just feel full alot of the time. So anyways, i DID go and look at the links that someone posted in a response to my other thread, and i have just come up with this workout program, mostly from the abcbodybuilding.com's bulking program. Now rememeber, i'm 5'9, 130lbs-ish, and would like to get up to about 155-165 for the summer. I've yet to do dead lifts, and i've only tried barbell bench once since i've broken my arm, and i tried it about 2 weeks ago, and was able to do 2 sort of sets of 155lbs, first set being 10 reps and second set being about 5 reps, this was also at the end of my workout of which i was doing chest. Not bad for just starting out after having a broken arm for 7 months. ANYWAYS here is what i have come up with, keeping in mind that i need to put on mass, and want to gain larger muscles, yet at the same time trying to keep more toned.

(Excersises in brackets are in order from what i'm doing first)
    Monday - -Chest (Dumbell flat bench - 3 sets - first 2 sets of 10 reps, 3rd set a high weight that i could only do 6-max 8 of, same for incline dumbell bench, decline dumbell bench, then 3 sets 10 reps of dumbell flys, and then i might try barbell flat bench at the end with some random higher weight to see what i can do) -Triceps (EZ bar skull crushers, 3 sets of 10 reps, cable pull downs with rope - 3 sets of 10 reps most likely not doing 10 reps on the 3rd set, 3 sets of dips - usually doing between 15-25 reps each set)

Tuesday - Biceps (Preacher curl - 3 sets - first 2 sets of 10 reps followed by a 3rd set of 6-max 8 of a higher rep that i know i can barely do or that i havent tried the week before, standing bicep curls - 3 sets of 10 reps - going up in weight about 5lb each set, cable pull ups(with a flat bar) 3 sets- first 2 of 10 reps then the 3rd of a higher weight i can't do so well

Wednesday - Shoulders (dumbell shoulder press 3 sets - 2 sets of 10 reps then last set with a higher weight of 6-max 8 reps, some cable excersises, other workouts for shoulders would be appreciated, this is one of the muscle groups i struggle most in)

Thursday - Back ( Can't think of the names, but I don't do much, advice on which excersises to do for this category would be helpful)

Friday - Legs ( Advice on what excersises to do for legs would be helpful, aside from leg press of course)

Saturday and sunday are rest days.

So to whoever actually read through all of this, thanks for listening, and any advice on this workout program based on what i am trying to accomplish would be very helpful, thanks alot.

vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Chrisanator View Post
    *Please read this first. I wasn't quite sure which area in the forum to put this under, but putting most of info in this post aside, this post is about a workout program that i've decided to do, and does include it near the end of my post. I'm just giving people some detailed information about me so they know what kind of person I am, and what would work best.*

I started my first post over in the teen section, then realised that there were younger teens replying to my thread. I'm 19, and i realized that maybe i should be posting in the general area over than the teen forums so I can get some better info (No offense to the younger group, I just feel that the older more mature people would have better responses to my questions.) So here it goes, I'll just copy what i started over in my other post over to here:

"Hey all hows it goin..As i stated I just signed up to the forums. I'm really confused about what to do about working out and getting into a routine and whatnot and i keep hearing so many different ideas from a bunch of different people/websites. So, maybe some of you could help me out? I'll just start off by saying a bit about myself to save you from asking most questions about me. I'm 19, about 5'8 and 130-135lbs. I was born with quite a fast metabolism and it really isn't helping for when i want to put on weight. My goals are to gain some mass ( I would like to get up to about 155-165 for now), and stay more toned as opposed to just looking big. I'm currently taking Bio-x xtreme whey protein isolate, mammoth 2500 weight gainer(havent started taking it yet), multi-vitamins, and GNC creatine(I know i know, i'm not going back to GNC don't worry). I don't really have a specific workout plan because well, I don't know whats best for getting the results for my goal. I've just seen too many different ways to do things, i.e. going 3 times a week, going 5 time a week, doing so many excercises per group, spacing out the muscle groups, etc. Could someone give me some advice on gaining weight for having such a fast metabolism, and also a suggest workout routine etc.? thx."

This was in my previous post. I'll elaborate a little more on it now. Let me first just talk about my experiences with working out so far. A few years ago I only weighed about 115lbs and i decided that i wanted to get bigger. 2 years ago i started going to the gym in around August. I went pretty steadily until about november, became lazy and took a while off, and then started back last year around March. In june of last year I was in my friend's car when he got into a car accident, resulting in me having a pretty badly broken arm. I wore a cast until october, and i finished physio in december. I just started going back to the gym about 4 weeks ago, but on the odd days because My friends wanted to go with me, and they would usually bail out right when we were about to go, and i ended up not going.

Now i'm determined to go, whether with a friend or not, and i need to come up with a good workout plan. I've had someone respond to my other post giving me links to look at. Please, to anyone who would be giving me advice, don't point me to other pages that have workout plans. This is because i already have looked all over, at different programs, etc. and it just makes me MORE confused, for the sole reason well that... they're all different and apparently do the same thing. So many people would just say, "well, try them out and see what one works best", But Its not really in my best interest to do so, because I really don't want to start off by wasting my time trying different workout programs and finding out weeks/months later that they arent helping. So what i've just talked about should prevent some unneeded responses/questions that i may get. Also, maybe it would be good if i could get some responses from people who have gotten bigger, who have/used to have a fast metabolism. I already know i have to consume quite a bit of food during the day, every 2-3 hours or so i think, which i do find quite hard seeing as how i am at work during the day, and i just feel full alot of the time. So anyways, i DID go and look at the links that someone posted in a response to my other thread, and i have just come up with this workout program, mostly from the abcbodybuilding.com's bulking program. Now rememeber, i'm 5'9, 130lbs-ish, and would like to get up to about 155-165 for the summer. I've yet to do dead lifts, and i've only tried barbell bench once since i've broken my arm, and i tried it about 2 weeks ago, and was able to do 2 sort of sets of 155lbs, first set being 10 reps and second set being about 5 reps, this was also at the end of my workout of which i was doing chest. Not bad for just starting out after having a broken arm for 7 months. ANYWAYS here is what i have come up with, keeping in mind that i need to put on mass, and want to gain larger muscles, yet at the same time trying to keep more toned.

(Excersises in brackets are in order from what i'm doing first)
    Monday - -Chest (Dumbell flat bench - 3 sets - first 2 sets of 10 reps, 3rd set a high weight that i could only do 6-max 8 of, same for incline dumbell bench, decline dumbell bench, then 3 sets 10 reps of dumbell flys, and then i might try barbell flat bench at the end with some random higher weight to see what i can do) -Triceps (EZ bar skull crushers, 3 sets of 10 reps, cable pull downs with rope - 3 sets of 10 reps most likely not doing 10 reps on the 3rd set, 3 sets of dips - usually doing between 15-25 reps each set)

Tuesday - Biceps (Preacher curl - 3 sets - first 2 sets of 10 reps followed by a 3rd set of 6-max 8 of a higher rep that i know i can barely do or that i havent tried the week before, standing bicep curls - 3 sets of 10 reps - going up in weight about 5lb each set, cable pull ups(with a flat bar) 3 sets- first 2 of 10 reps then the 3rd of a higher weight i can't do so well

Wednesday - Shoulders (dumbell shoulder press 3 sets - 2 sets of 10 reps then last set with a higher weight of 6-max 8 reps, some cable excersises, other workouts for shoulders would be appreciated, this is one of the muscle groups i struggle most in)

Thursday - Back ( Can't think of the names, but I don't do much, advice on which excersises to do for this category would be helpful)

Friday - Legs ( Advice on what excersises to do for legs would be helpful, aside from leg press of course)

Saturday and sunday are rest days.

So to whoever actually read through all of this, thanks for listening, and any advice on this workout program based on what i am trying to accomplish would be very helpful, thanks alot.
    I just read somewhere over the weekend that 90% of all people who train w/ weights are novices. Why?

Most people quit because they don't make progress.

There are some big guys on here that swear by splits like yours. And for those guys, it works great.

But... I've seen many, many, many more guys who train chest one day, back one day, arms one day, who quit and never get bigger or stronger.

If I was 19 again, and just starting out, and wanted to make sustainable progress. I'd forget about splits. And go with a basic full body routine make up of the exercises that work the most muscle at the same time.

Squat, Bench, Press, Deadlift.

Try to center your routine around those 4 exercises.
    Get your form correct.
    Put more weight on the bar each time you train

Forget training your arms & chest separately and train your body as a whole system.

Keep it real simple.

my 2 cents.
    The guys who claim "I did GOMAD and got fat" are just stupid. - Dave76

Vic, thanks for the advice. I have thought quite a bit about doing deadlifts, squats, etc; but i'm sort of embarrassed to do those excersises, because i know starting off i'd look like an idiot doing them because A) i'd either be doing pretty light weight compared to everyone else you see at the gym to those types of excersises and it would make me feel pretty stupid, or B) I dont really know the proper form. I was pretty embarrassed starting out at the gym, then got to the point of just going by myself, but i've yet to try those deadlifts or squats and i'd like to get a little more confident for those and do it with a friend when i go with one. I mean, i'll get to doing those excersises beleive me, i just have to get into the routine of doing them when i go to the gym by myself. So hopefully in the next few weeks i'll start doing them, i know they help your overall strength and whatnot. But do you mean i should work those into this plan that i have come up with? Cause i would definitely do that. And also, are you suggesting that doing a full body workout say every monday, wednedsay, and friday, with the other days as off days, would be better than doign it split as i did above? Another thing is that i just dont know what i would do for a full body workout in a day, i mean yes i would do those 4 excersises, but wouldn't i also have to do other ones just as common sense for isolating each different muscle group to work them better?

Jonesin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonesin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonesin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonesin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonesin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonesin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonesin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonesin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonesin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonesin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonesin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Check the link out. It's a pretty popular workout around here especially for beginners. It incorporates the major lifts that the previous poster was saying. It builds a foundation of overall strength. As for learning the techniques for the squat and deadlift, you aren't going to get any good at them w/o practicing them. You can read the proper way to execute them on this site under the exercise section from the main page. Don't worry about looking stupid at them gym. Just focus on your workout. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a bunch of guys at the gym who don't even do squats or deadlifts because they think you get a good body by doing bench press and curls only. I used to be one of those guys along time ago. Now I enjoy doing the big moves b/c I know that they pack on results. Do a few warm up sets with light weights to get the movement down. Don't go to failure on your warm ups. You could even practice your squat technique at home with a broom or something like that.

Location: London, The ghettos of south west London, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    selector has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    excellent advice from Vic.

This programme has worked wonders for many of my clients:

Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench Press
    Bent over row (wide and narrow)
    Overhead press
    Chins

These work all the major skeletal muscles one way or another.

sel

vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Vic, thanks for the advice. I have thought quite a bit about doing deadlifts, squats, etc; but i'm sort of embarrassed to do those excersises, because i know starting off i'd look like an idiot doing them because A) i'd either be doing pretty light weight compared to everyone else you see at the gym to those types of excersises and it would make me feel pretty stupid, or B) I dont really know the proper form.
    Look around you when you get to the gym. In a few months, most of the people who you saw, you won't ever see again. The majority of the ones who are still there, will look pretty much the same.

F**k what they think.

And also, are you suggesting that doing a full body workout say every monday, wednedsay, and friday, with the other days as off days, would be better than doign it split as i did above?
    Oh yeah.

Another thing is that i just dont know what i would do for a full body workout in a day, i mean yes i would do those 4 excersises, but wouldn't i also have to do other ones just as common sense for isolating each different muscle group to work them better?
    Nope.

For you, starting out where you are they are all you need. You can throw in chins/pullups/dips. But the basics are all you really need.

Location: London, The ghettos of south west London, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    /\ What he said!

Build your house before you put in the furniture. The above exercises are the best mass gainers.

If you are worried about form write down the exercises, and get a trainer to take you through them.

sel

big blind jay is just really nice. (+1000) big blind jay is just really nice. (+1000) big blind jay is just really nice. (+1000) big blind jay is just really nice. (+1000) big blind jay is just really nice. (+1000) big blind jay is just really nice. (+1000) big blind jay is just really nice. (+1000) big blind jay is just really nice. (+1000) big blind jay is just really nice. (+1000) big blind jay is just really nice. (+1000) big blind jay is just really nice. (+1000)
    hey man how's it going a good beginner program for you would be RIPPETOE-STARTING STRENGTh, there is a thread about it on the top of this forum. its a basic program that revolves around big compound movements and adding weight every workout. goodfor getting you used to heavy weights and compound movements.and as far as feeling stupid with squats and deadlifts, don't worrie about it we all started with lite weights but with hard work you will be one of the big guys, try and asking one of the bigger guys in the gym for some help you would be surprised how willing some people wil be to help if you really want to learn. just dont interupt there workout you might get smacked with a plate lol. try and eat 5 or 6 meals a day and lots of food and little to no cardio with that fast metabolism if you want to gain that weight.wel good luck
    State of Maryland Registered Massage Practitioner
    Current raw USAPL comp total: 1069lbs
    Squat: 418lbs, Bench: 231lbs, Dead: 418lbs

MyPowerlifting journal : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=347266751&posted=1#post347266751

Alright thanks for all the tips guys, for now i'll get working on the squats, deadlifts, chins/pullups, bench press, and overhead press(which i tried last week and i was completely shut down heh). Should i throw in some preacher curls and dumbbell bench as well though? I really enjoy doing those workouts.. I decided to amp up my weight last week on flat dumbell bench press to 75's.. and got one set of 10 reps and another set of about 5-6 out of it so i didn't think that was too bad, and don't worry, i was doing the proper form, i know that its most important to do proper form rather than to wiggle around with a heavier weight. Now dont take this the wrong way because i'm obviously not saying what any of you have said is wrong, but i've just kept hearing from all over the place to do so many different types of excerises, since say for example one type of chest exercise would work the lower part of the pecks, another one would work the inner part of the chest etc; i thought i would just have to space each muscle group out so that i could do so many different excersises per muscle so that i could really get every part of the muscle. I suppose those main excercises you guys told me about basically do that? Thats the only thing i worried about, i just dont want to look unproportionate, such as, say, having big traps, yet no shoulders or something like that, know what i mean?
    Last edited by Chrisanator; 02-04-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Alright thanks for all the tips guys, for now i'll get working on the squats, deadlifts, chins/pullups, bench press, and overhead press(which i tried last week and i was completely shut down heh). Should i throw in some preacher curls and dumbbell bench as well though? I really enjoy doing those workouts.. I decided to amp up my weight last week on flat dumbell bench press to 75's.. and got one set of 10 reps and another set of about 5-6 out of it so i didn't think that was too bad, and don't worry, i was doing the proper form, i know that its most important to do proper form rather than to wiggle around with a heavier weight. Now dont take this the wrong way because i'm obviously not saying what any of you have said is wrong, but i've just kept hearing from all over the place to do so many different types of excerises, since say for example one type of chest exercise would work the lower part of the pecks, another one would work the inner part of the chest etc; i thought i would just have to space each muscle group out so that i could do so many different excersises per muscle so that i could really get every part of the muscle. I suppose those main excercises you guys told me about basically do that? Thats the only thing i worried about, i just dont want to look unproportionate, such as, say, having big traps, yet no shoulders or something like that, know what i mean?
    I can sleep better knowing I at least tried.

Oh i hope you didnt take any offense to that, it's just i want to get as much proper knowledge as i can before i go to the gym steadily and seriously, I want to make sure i'm doing the right stuff when i do. As i said i'll be taking you're advice on the dealifts and squats and whatnot, I'll be doing them in the gym later this evening. I was just making sure whether or not i should at all do any of the other excersises but i suppose not. As i said vic i'm taking your advice into effect beginning later tonight! Can't wait to get huge aha

The exercises prescribed will recruit the most muscle fibers. If you want to put on mass they will work best. Dumbbell bench is a form of bench pressing (imho better for bodybuilding than bb bench), so that is fine. I wouldn't bother with the curls. Don't get too hung up on different angles either. Muscles perform joint actions. The fibers try to work as a team. If you look at arnold's chest, he never did decline presses, but the ridge under his chest was still sliced to pieces.

My chest is pretty big, and I can honestly say that is because I press 100lb dumbbells twice a week. I do flyes too, but they are a pre exhaust to more pressing.

sel

Sounds good. And would it matter if i did both the bb bench and db bench? I remember a while back hearing something about bb bench bring up your 'core strength', yet db bench is good at making you more stable