jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50)

strength tips for body builders

act like you're going to rip the bar on any movement even squats
    i added 3 solid reps to my squat today because of this.
    lets hear what you guys got

maybe people are confused but this thread considers body building and building muscle the primary goal. Now obviously when exhausting muscle fibers heavier weight = better results. like if person A is using 100lbs on something and using good form and getting a good stretch using full rom and not cheating and person B uses 200lbs using the same exact form. theorectically person B would produce more muscle
    Last edited by jando; 01-12-2006 at 05:18 PM.

Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    How about training like a powerlifter?
    “Methods are many,
    Principles are few,
    Methods often change,
    Principles never do.”

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/bodybuilding.html

I heard this place, I r o n M ass was a pretty good place , they got (no G&N) pervs.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz

Arrow

Originally Posted by jando
    I'd just be repeating myself so I might as well do a copy and paste job from this thread:

Firstly, you have to accept the fact that bodybuilding focuses on certain aspects of weight training to achieve an aesthetic result, muscular size, proportion, detail, etc., and strength and power are not a part of it.

In other words, while some guys train exclusively for bodybuilding and gain some impressive strength, consider them exceptions rather than the rule, and they'll never break any powerlifting records training that way just as a powerlifter won't win pro bodybuilding contests. Horses for courses, plain and simple.

Some guidelines:
    * avoid going to failure
    * train with lower reps, heavier loads
    * rest longer between sets
    * focus on the big compound exercises (deads, squats, bench, power cleans, barbell rows, military press, chin-ups/pull-ups, dips, etc.)
    * forget about bodybuilding splits and doing 10 different exercises for every muscle group
    * follow a proven strength training program, PL cycle, or use periodization to effectively vary your training loads
    * train each lift more than once a week and optionally do "assistance work" for those lifts
    * lift weights explosively
    * do any power exercise (power cleans, etc.) first in a workout followed by your biggest compound lift (squats, deadlifts, etc.)
    * forget about stuff that is a big part of bodybuilding culture like the "pump," "burn," feeling sore, dropsets, pyramid sets, dedicated arm workouts, etc.
    * focus more on eating enough and less on whether every ab is chiseled to perfection (or care if they go into hibernation for a while)
    * read as much as you can about strength training from the experts

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)

Question

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????

The Giant Killer ShreddedShruggin's Avatar
    ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Drink lots of water before and during workouts to be at top game.

-Grimface

jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Squats
    How about training like a powerlifter?
    nope. the thread asks for strength tips for body builders
    if the thread asked for strength tips in general then yes

Originally Posted by DiamondDelts
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????
    grip the bar extremely hard. for me it allows me to get more reps and increase intensity

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    grip the bar extremely hard. for me it allows me to get more reps and increase intensity
    Okay. I thought you were just joking around when I read that.

jb6080 is not very well liked. (-100) jb6080 is not very well liked. (-100) jb6080 is not very well liked. (-100) jb6080 is not very well liked. (-100) jb6080 is not very well liked. (-100) jb6080 is not very well liked. (-100) jb6080 is not very well liked. (-100) jb6080 is not very well liked. (-100) jb6080 is not very well liked. (-100) jb6080 is not very well liked. (-100) jb6080 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    I'd just be repeating myself so I might as well do a copy and paste job from this thread:

Firstly, you have to accept the fact that bodybuilding focuses on certain aspects of weight training to achieve an aesthetic result, muscular size, proportion, detail, etc., and strength and power are not a part of it.

In other words, while some guys train exclusively for bodybuilding and gain some impressive strength, consider them exceptions rather than the rule, and they'll never break any powerlifting records training that way just as a powerlifter won't win pro bodybuilding contests. Horses for courses, plain and simple.

Some guidelines:
    * avoid going to failure
    * focus on the big compound exercises (deads, squats, bench, power cleans, barbell rows, military press, chin-ups/pull-ups, dips, etc.)
    * forget about bodybuilding splits and doing 10 different exercises for every muscle group
    * follow a proven strength training program, PL cycle, or use periodization to effectively vary your training loads
    * train each lift more than once a week and optionally do "assistance work" for those lifts
    * do any power exercise (power cleans, etc.) first in a workout followed by your biggest compound lift (squats, deadlifts, etc.)
    * forget about stuff that is a big part of bodybuilding culture like the "pump," "burn," feeling sore, dropsets, pyramid sets, dedicated arm workouts, etc.
    * focus more on eating enough and less on whether every ab is chiseled to perfection (or care if they go into hibernation for a while)

Anyone who might know: do those rules apply for those who want to get huge and "bodybuild" or for those who simply want to get stronger with powerlifting?

I sleep on a meathook iron_on_my_mind's Avatar
    iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Avoid going to failure?

For some, going to failure is the best way to achieve optimal hypertrophy. And I'm sure the HIT elite would certainly take issue with your statement.

Your advice a little further down is to follow a proven strength program. Mentzner and Arthur Jones' principles have long been proven in terms of strength and size. Although it is one of several methods, it is alive and well today, as are its variations.

But I certainly agree with the rest of your advice, as I do with the majority of your posts!

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz

Arrow

Originally Posted by iron_on_my_mind
    Avoid going to failure?

For some, going to failure is the best way to achieve optimal hypertrophy. And I'm sure the HIT elite would certainly take issue with your statement.

Your advice a little further down is to follow a proven strength program. Mentzner and Arthur Jones' principles have long been proven in terms of strength and size. Although it is one of several methods, it is alive and well today, as are its variations.

But I certainly agree with the rest of your advice, as I do with the majority of your posts!
    Iron, I probably shouldn't have reposted it since I now see Jando's question is "strength tips for BBers" rather than strength tips in general so I'm kind of leaving myself open to pissed off BBers asking "what's wrong with <insert favorite training technique here>?" I do agree that training to failure has its place in bodybuilding. and I'm not going to argue with all the pros, etc. who have had great success training that way. My comments relate to strength training, period.

And it's not that you can't gain strength training that way--you obviously can. The point is powerlifters, O-lifters, and elite athletes don't train that way and that's obviously for a valid reason (to minimize neural fatigue and overall stress on the system). To avoid repeating myself and boring people, my first couple of posts on this thread explain my point of view on it.

To sum it all up, I'm not against training to failure. I need to emphasize that. I'm in favor of using it wisely and limiting it to bodybuilding. If it has a place, I think it's with moderate weight, around 70-80% of 1RM, ideally on the final set of an exercise. Many pros and recreational BBers train to failure, and I respect what they're doing. Any arguments I've had on training to failure, HIT, etc., relate to strength training. Can you gain strength that way? Yes. Is it the most effective way to train for strength? No. And that's backed up by the training methods of the vast majority of elite powerlifters and O-lifters and highly respected experts who study strength training.

I sleep on a meathook iron_on_my_mind's Avatar
    iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs up

A very fair reply, Dom. Thanks for clarifying your position.

TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_

Some guidelines:
    * avoid going to failure

You forgot to mention power breathing!!
    My PowerLifting journal!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139726173&p=781873953&posted=1#post781873953

Nikon D90

heroin addict has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by iron_on_my_mind
    Avoid going to failure?

I reckon failure on the last 2 sets of each exercise worked for a bodypart, i mean balls to the wall failure where its IMPOSSIBLE to get another rep, also the gripping the bar like your strangling a guy you hate is very good for deadlifts. Nice thread.

Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You can cycle in strength training. And about going to failure, I would recommend it for just ME lifts or a few lifts. As long as you aren't working out like an elite powerlifter while going to failure....
    “Methods are many,
    Principles are few,
    Methods often change,
    Principles never do.”

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/bodybuilding.html

I heard this place, I r o n M ass was a pretty good place , they got (no G&N) pervs.