mrpaseo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

New to the site, looking to make a change, any advice is welcome

Hello, the name is Ray and I'm looking to get back into shape. (Not that I ever was in shape) Actually, one day I said, "I'm so out of shape" to which my daughter replied, "But Dad, round is a shape". I looked at her mortified...lol. Seriously, I am a soldier, 15+ years active duty, a bunch of deployments which screws up routines and dedication to eating right and sticking to a program.

I just started another deployment and I have a gym available this time so I'm looking to make some changes to my physical appearance. I am currently working a two/three day split routine, the basic cycle:

Chest/Tri's
    Back/Bi's
    Legs/Delts
    Rest

I am currently taking:
    CE2
    NO2
    TriFlex
    Tight
    Fish Oil

(And a few other off and on stuff like Hydroxycut Hardcore, and T3 but not so often).

I guess I am looking for advice, motivation, pointers etc... whatever support can be offered.

I just turned 35 and will be retiring in 2012-2014, I want to be in the best shape of my life at that point so I can go into retirement healthy and happy.

So, I look forward to talking with and getting to know everyone and learning as much as I can.

Respectfully,

Ray

ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ray,

Welcome to the board. There's a ton of good information held within the forum members. Good luck with your journey.

Now...

For me, I'm not nearly as interested in what you're taking, as what you're eating. You can work out all you want, but if your diet isn't dialed in properly you will be disappointed in your progress. Of particular importance on this front is alcohol consumption.

In terms of your exercise split, chest/triceps on the same day is not something I'm keen on as you're working your triceps when you do bench presses. Same goes for back/biceps. Lat pulldowns, Rows, and other such pulling exercises engage the biceps. I've always been a proponent of keeping these muscle groups separate. However, on this point I'm sure there will be others with different opinions. At the end of the day, it's more important that you're in the gym, lifting, and that your diet is correct.

I'm not necessarily a great proponent of supplements. They have their place, and some do a good job. At best, most supplements can be considered "fine tuning". If you're not getting the basics in your system from your diet, then supplementation is just burning money.

Also, if you haven't already, read Kimsquits sticky entitled "Are you new here?". He very succinctly tied up some key points that should be considered basic rules of the game. Also, go through some of the journals - there's lot of good information in there as well.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

ScubaDave
    http://www.buffleheadprod.com
    Life begins underwater

- 25 July 1972 Cata-pole barred from competition because it contains carbon fibers.

"Those who assume hypotheses as first principles of their speculations...may indeed form an ingenious romance, but a romance it will still be." Roger Cotes - preface to Newton's Principia Mathematica 2nd ed 1713

mrpaseo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ScubaDave,
    A very good point, thank you for asking and the advice. I start the day with Eggs (Egg Beaters I believe), Oatmeal (w/Brown Sugar/raisins/Mixed Nuts), Soy Milk (About 12 oz). I usually have a Banana between breakfast and lunch, lunch is usually a wheat wrap (The contents bounces from tuna/mayo cheese, tomatoes, lettuce or turkey cheese, tomatoes, lettuce) Mixed nuts, maybe some apple sauce, Milk or juice to drink. Sometimes a banana in between lunch and dinner, then dinner is either a protein shake (Muscle Milk right now) or a meat/veggi combo (I try to make the dinner the small meal of the day).

This is healthy eating to me, maybe some of you can give me pointers. I do not have deserts, I consider the raisins and nuts my treat. I just started drinking the milk/juice because I was taking in to much water. I really like drinking water so I take in lots of water, especially when I am training in any capacity.

I forgot to add, I also take a Multi V in the morning but it took a long time for me to find one that did not get me sick. So this one is not top of the line chalk full of 1000% of everything, but there are plenty of 100% RDA on the label.

Thanks for looking,
    Ray

ramsbro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello Ray,

I agree with ScubaDave, nutrition is key.

I am on the road 4 days a week and I have to be very careful to carry some backup meal replacements in case my schedule forces me to miss a "real" meal. MetRx makes some good products in this area. If I have a bad day and don't eat right, I pay for it in the gym.

I also think the supplements should come later as you begin to fine tune and try to push past sticking points. Perhaps the only exception from the beginning is a quality protein powder, if you find you cannot get what you need from real food.

I recently tried adding creatine to my regimen to see if it made a difference. I did this only after several months without, so I could see if there really was a benefit. Frankly, in, my case, I see no real reason to take it.

Take your time and carefully gauge your body's reaction to each supplement. We all react differently.

Good Luck.

ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Mr. Paseo,

Here's what I'd suggest at this point:

1) Log all your food intake for two weeks, and determine your caloric intake, as well as your macronutrient intake (proteins, fats, carbs).

2) Determine your basal metabolic rate (do a search on the web to determine this), and based on your exercise regime, the appropriate number of calories for you to maintain weight (the book "Nutrient Timing" has an excellent formula for this).

3) Adjust your diet accordingly so that your diet is about 500 calories under your steady-state rate. Any more than this, and your body will be under too much stress, and you will actually hold onto weight. Weight loss should be slow and steady.

Dave
    http://www.buffleheadprod.com
    Life begins underwater

- 25 July 1972 Cata-pole barred from competition because it contains carbon fibers.

"Those who assume hypotheses as first principles of their speculations...may indeed form an ingenious romance, but a romance it will still be." Roger Cotes - preface to Newton's Principia Mathematica 2nd ed 1713

Registered User MichelleRenee12's Avatar
    MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MichelleRenee12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good luck, Ray!

GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hi Ray,
    I don't have much to add to the above. Good job getting into the gym. You've taken the hardest step. Now you need to keep it going. Post here regularly. This place is very motivating.

You CAN do this.
    Jesus is my lifting partner.