Thread: GHRs, WTF!!!!

I am so smart, S-M-R-T! superjarvo's Avatar
    superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

GHRs, WTF!!!!

Ok, I know what they are, but does anyone do them with out destroying their hams. I tried doing some yesterday, and I couldn't even do 1 without pushing myself up off the floor. All I got were cramps in both my hamstrings. How do you guys get into them? How did you manage to pull off more than one?
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!

Analysis paralysis Lifting N Tx's Avatar
    Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lifting N Tx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Most people can't do them "ghetto style" except as you say, helping with the arms. I know that I can't.

The ideal is to have actual GHR equipment, which puts the "fulcrum" of the movement above the knee so that mere mortals can actually do a few reps.
    Internet Weightlifting Expert.

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1759931

"Only people willing to work to the point of discomfort on a regular basis using effective means to produce that discomfort will actually look like they have been other-than-comfortable most of the time." - Mark Rippetoe

tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ease into them. Do the ghetto GHR by going down slowly to work the eccentri c portion of the movement then use your hands to help you back up. In time you MAY be able to do them without assistance. And try not to bend at the waist like some I've seen.

As for the cramps, they should go away. You should warm up though.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lpqekyg01wA this is pretty good form.
    Last edited by tonester; 11-17-2007 at 05:39 AM.
    "Adapt and overcome."

"Everything you need is inside you."

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by superjarvo View Post
    Ok, I know what they are, but does anyone do them with out destroying their hams.
    That's the whole point!

Originally Posted by tonester View Post
    Ease into them. Do the ghetto GHR by going down slowly to work the eccentri c portion of the movement then use your hands to help you back up. In time you MAY be able to do them without assistance. And try not to bend at the waist like some I've seen.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lpqekyg01wA this is pretty good form.
    Excellent advice and vid.
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    also get em strong first by getting strong on other stuff.

even stuff like this might help if u get strong enough to do em one legged etc http://www.fullfitness.net/routines/..._leg_curl.html
    "Humility comes before honor"

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Ok, I know what they are, but does anyone do them with out destroying their hams. I tried doing some yesterday, and I couldn't even do 1 without pushing myself up off the floor. All I got were cramps in both my hamstrings. How do you guys get into them? How did you manage to pull off more than one?
    Now imagine adding weight...

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Talking

Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post

[YOUTUBE] vid [YOUTUBE]
    That video disgusts me.
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I got sick cramps the first time I tried them- couldn't even finish the rest of my workout and my left leg was still just as sore lol.

I'm up to doing negatives and they shred your hamstrings like nothing.
    IG: @toadkillerdog

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Lencho View Post
    That video disgusts me.
    My hamstrings laugh at Layne Norton.

it disgusts me too

Gettin My Swole On microrahsheen's Avatar
    microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post

Yeah...imagine.....

knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by microrahsheen View Post
    Yeah...imagine.....

lol wtf?!
    Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165969711

microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by knowles.ja View Post
    lol wtf?!
    Frank Yang is not only strong as fcuk, he is also retarded as hell...LOL

knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Frank Yang is not only strong as fcuk, he is also retarded as hell...LOL
    Oh, he's the guy that does all the stupid **** in the gym, right?
    Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165969711

Originally Posted by knowles.ja View Post
    Oh, he's the guy that does all the stupid **** in the gym, right?
    That be him.

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    that video is hilarious

KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    With a LOT of practice.

I do ghetto GHR too and feel it more in the calves and the crooks behind the knees because I've been setting the knee padding higher and higher. So you can actually change the emphasis and make it easier with a little mod.
    Geese_Howard: Just walk into any mental institution and tell the docs in there everything about your religion but substitute the name muhammed for 'Punjab' and see if they let you walk out...

Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=jGtxuv_2o00

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4OdQy5ayDiU

Any difference in muscles worked between this and the GHR?

They look like the same to me.
    My goal when I come in everyday is to make sure if somebody beats me,it is not because they outwork me. ~Layne Norton.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    lol call CPS

superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superjarvo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Doenitz79 View Post

Back extensions are for the lower back, and GHRs are for the hamstrings.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!

DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Back extension - lower back - bends at waist
    GHR - hamstrings - bends at knee, straight body from knee up

While looking at the other GHR vid, I saw this assisted one with reg. gym equipment. I've never see it done this way before.

Duke309 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duke309 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duke309 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duke309 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duke309 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duke309 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duke309 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duke309 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duke309 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duke309 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duke309 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah...imagine.....

LMAO, I wish they had 5 year olds to use as weights in my gym. Can you imagine that? "Yeah man I squatted five-five year olds today"

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

LOL, try it, when you face plant on the GHR you'll understand the difference

Originally Posted by DoubleWide View Post
    Back extension - lower back - bends at waist
    GHR - hamstrings - bends at knee, straight body from knee up

While looking at the other GHR vid, I saw this assisted one with reg. gym equipment. I've never see it done this way before.
    Wouldn't that weight be a counter productive?. It would be pulling you back up, taking away the work of the hamstrings to pull you up. This way would make it easy, therefore, not working your hammies that much at all. I guess it could help you with the motion, but that's about it.

Originally Posted by str8flexed View Post
    LOL, try it, when you face plant on the GHR you'll understand the difference
    QFT.

Lately, I've propped up the hyperextension stand with three plates. Not as hard as the ghetto GHR's done from the lat pulldown, but it does hit the hams and glutes pretty hard.
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

Wouldn't that weight be a counter productive?. It would be pulling you back up, not helping your hamstrings pull you up. This way would make it easy, therefore, not working your hammies that much at all. I guess it could help you with the motion, but that's about it.

It's like assisted pullups - it depends on how much weight you use. Personally, I like the idea of doing a slow negative with no assistance, much like in the first vid.
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    GHR are the mother of all hammy exersizes.... imo....

first time i did em.. i had a guy push my chest on the concentric (to help get up).....

3 days later i could do sets of 8....

your body has to get used to it and the function of the GHR works muscles that are rarely tapped into (but need to be to perform @ 100%)

cheers..

keep at it..... great excersize.......
    SCIVATION XTEND...... 8-10 scoops a-day make the fibras happy!!!!!!

check my bodyspace blog.....

learn how to squat right SQUAT RX
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI&mode=related&search=