Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Deadlifts - Holy Cow!

I finally felt that it was time to incorporate deadlifts to my workout schedule. I wanted to make sure I was a few months into working out before doing the compound excersises. Two days ago I did dead lifts for the first time. Boy oh boy, did they kick my ass.

I started with just the bar (45 pounds) to make sure I got the form down. I did about 20 reps with just the bar. It was feeling like I jogged 10 miles. I did another set of 20. I'm fixing to pass out. I rest a little and add 50 pounds and did a set of 8. I was looking for the oxygen tank heh. People would say that deadlifts rock! but forget to mention how much stress they put on your body. What made it hard for me is that I had already been working out fro 40 mins or so which probably made it worse.

I've been doing a lot of research and everything points to the deadlift as one of the best excersises one can do. I can see why. Today my legs, glutes, abs, traps, lower back, and forearms are all sore from all those deadlifts. Now that I know how much energy it takes to do deadlifts, I'm going to do them first and probably just do calves and maybe upper back.

In short, I think I'm hooked on the deadlift after that one day. Sore is good =)
    Last edited by paul_v; 07-07-2005 at 11:08 PM.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    next get hooked on rack pulls
    <->

TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TrainSmarter is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm sure you will notice a lot of changes in your physique after a short time.
    It is a good idea to do them early in your workout like you said.
    Starting with a light weight is also a wise move.
    You will probably find that you can add a fair bit of weight each week for a while, which is a nice feeling.

Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Talking

Originally Posted by $AJ
    next get hooked on rack pulls

but don't get hooked on crack

JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Flex500
    and don't get hooked on a hook, you'll ruin your clothes
    Meet PRs @220
    Squat: 675, (8-22-2008)
    Bench: 455, (8-22-2008)
    Deadlift: 611, (3-29-2008)
    Total: 1735, (8-22-2008)

your mom goes to college! jash smiff's Avatar
    jash smiff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jash smiff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jash smiff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jash smiff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jash smiff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jash smiff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jash smiff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jash smiff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jash smiff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jash smiff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jash smiff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i once got hooked by a fishhook. it hurt.
    We don't notice any time pass
    we don't notice anything
    we sit side by side in every class
    teacher thinks that I sound funny
    but she likes the way you sing

Tonight I'll dream while in my bed
    when silly thoughts go through my head
    about the bugs and alphabet
    and when I wake tommorow I'll bet
    that you and I will walk together again
    I can tell that we're going to be friends

OO RAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DrE DiESeL97's Avatar
    DrE DiESeL97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do Deads at the beginning of back day!! Your body will thank you later!
    "The worth and value of a man is in his heart and his will; there lies his real honor. Valor is the strength, not of legs and arms, but of heart and soul."

"Arrogance breeds confidence, confidence breeds success, success breeds respect."

"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f*ck the prom queen!"

"Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free"

pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100)

Quads + Hams, Glutes, Calved

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...cle=Quadriceps

If this is to be believed, DEADS & SQUATS exercise the same muscl groups.

jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    which is why westside is so effective even though it doesnt allow you to deadlift AND squat heavy in the same week.

also, if you look the the movement and ignore the arms, its VERY similar.

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by paul_v
    I finally felt that it was time to incorporate deadlifts to my workout schedule. I wanted to make sure I was a few months into working out before doing the compound excersises. Two days ago I did dead lifts for the first time. Boy oh boy, did they kick my ass.

I started with just the bar (45 pounds) to make sure I got the form down. I did about 20 reps with just the bar. It was feeling like I jogged 10 miles. I did another set of 20. I'm fixing to pass out. I rest a little and add 50 pounds and did a set of 8. I was looking for the oxygen tank heh. People would say that deadlifts rock! but forget to mention how much stress they put on your body. What made it hard for me is that I had already been working out fro 40 mins or so which probably made it worse.

I've been doing a lot of research and everything points to the deadlift as one of the best excersises one can do. I can see why. Today my legs, glutes, abs, traps, lower back, and forearms are all sore from all those deadlifts. Now that I know how much energy it takes to do deadlifts, I'm going to do them first and probably just do calves and maybe upper back.

In short, I think I'm hooked on the deadlift after that one day. Sore is good =)
    Welcome to the club!
    I don't know either lol

trail of dead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trail of dead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trail of dead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trail of dead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trail of dead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trail of dead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trail of dead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trail of dead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trail of dead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trail of dead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trail of dead is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by jack_of_all
    which is why westside is so effective even though it doesnt allow you to deadlift AND squat heavy in the same week.

also, if you look the the movement and ignore the arms, its VERY similar.
    Except one you pull, and the other you press.

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Glad you've seen the light.

Deadlifts rock my world.
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.

bulkin_ up is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulkin_ up is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulkin_ up is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulkin_ up is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulkin_ up is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulkin_ up is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulkin_ up is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulkin_ up is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulkin_ up is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulkin_ up is on a distinguished road. (+10) bulkin_ up is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Welcome to the world of deadlifts man, you went about it wise by going lighter unlike some people i see, sometimes i feel like i should say something to them becuz there gonna kill themselves, but its not my business, i dont want them to think im some sort of "know it all". I do deads every other week, and never do deads and squats in the same week, at least i dont, when i do deads then i will do heavy leg presses instead of squats, its better on your back that way.
    "I Support Same Sex Marriage......As Long As Both Chicks Are Hot"

"What Idiot Put The Letter "S" In "Lisp"?

Supplements Used:
    Whey
    Micronized Creatine
    Multi Vitamin/Mineral
    Co-Q10
    Coral Calcium
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin E
    Magnesium
    Zinc
    Glucosamine/MSM/Chondroitin
    Melatonin

paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yeah thanks for the advice. I am going to do deads again this week again since last week was just a trial. I'll try squats next week but last time I tried to do squats my neck couldn't take the bar. I'm sure I had the bar placed wrong or something. I even wrapped a towel to the pad but it still hurt the back of my neck. I had a bruise the next day even.

Oh should I use the alternating grip when I deadlift or is that just for the heavier weights?

Less internet, more gym DontRevMe's Avatar
    DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Oh should I use the alternating grip when I deadlift or is that just for the heavier weights?

use your current grip untill its absolutely neccessary to move to a alternate

Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000)
    I wouldn't worry about doing so many reps, like 20 reps with the bar. Do 10 to warm up and then add some weight on. You'll be surprised how easy it is when you get to a big plate on each side and you don't have to bend down so far to grab the bar.

For squats- the bar shouldn't be on your neck at all. It should ride on your traps and rear delts. Squeeze your shoulder blades together and puff your chest out, this will create a shelf where the bar will sit naturally.

Also, at your level of lifting, you can do squats and deads in the same week, or even in the same workout. Just do squats 1st, then follow with deads. If you do them on separate days, make them the 1st thing you do. Always do the heavier compound lifts 1st. You don't need pre-exhausted legs or back muscles before you deadlift, thats a recipe for injury. Do them while you are fresh.

bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Flex500
    crack ******* fries your brain
    Stats
    Bench: 225
    Safety Squat: 430*10 ~ 550
    Power Clean:225
    Push Press: 205
    Body Weight: ~220
    Height: 6' 2"

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam greyhair's Avatar
    greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000)

Believe it

Originally Posted by pounce
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...cle=Quadriceps

If this is to be believed, DEADS & SQUATS exercise the same muscl groups.
    Very similar.
    I suspect a slight difference in emphasis, but DL hits quads and glutes more than is generally acknowleged.

Greyhair

Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BernieD
    Glad you've seen the light.

Deadlifts rock my world.
    Hell yes! LOVE THE DEADS
    -I'm the man in the box
    Height:5'9"
    Weight:130 (145) goal 150 at least
    -Squat- 185 goal 200
    -Deadlift- 230 goal 275 (THAT'S gonna take awhile)
    -Bench- 115 goal 135

If it's easy, it's pointless. That goes for eating too. KEEP EATING

Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keith Wassung will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good Stuff

Keep on Pulling
    Attached Images

Originally Posted by Danimal
    I wouldn't worry about doing so many reps, like 20 reps with the bar. Do 10 to warm up and then add some weight on. You'll be surprised how easy it is when you get to a big plate on each side and you don't have to bend down so far to grab the bar.

For squats- the bar shouldn't be on your neck at all. It should ride on your traps and rear delts. Squeeze your shoulder blades together and puff your chest out, this will create a shelf where the bar will sit naturally.

Also, at your level of lifting, you can do squats and deads in the same week, or even in the same workout. Just do squats 1st, then follow with deads. If you do them on separate days, make them the 1st thing you do. Always do the heavier compound lifts 1st. You don't need pre-exhausted legs or back muscles before you deadlift, thats a recipe for injury. Do them while you are fresh.

Yeah I did 20 reps to practise my form. Now that I got that down I'll pyramid up today to find a comforatble weight to do 3 sets of 8.
    ---------------------------------------
    Paul V

Misc Holy Spirit Crew
    Misc Epilepsy Crew
    Misc Dallas Crew
    Misc Over 40 crew
    *Old Misc Crew*

Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Love the deads.. SLDL are very good exercise to premote mass. Got my vote!

that one guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've just started doing deadlifts also. I love 'em. They are really nailing my forearms like nothing else can. Plus they hit the back in places I have never truly worked before.
    No goals = No life

there are no shortcuts sword chucks's Avatar
    sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I recently started deadlifting consistently too because my deadlifts really aren't where they should be... I always believed that it was bad to deadlift too often and it should only be done very infrequently to test strength gain.

Unfortunately that was a load of crap. My deads have gone from 255x4 to 270x6 in the past few weeks when before I had been stuck at 275 for a long time before this. I'm really feeling the effects of them too.

I am also making good gains on my squat and front squat.

OO RAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DrE DiESeL97's Avatar
    DrE DiESeL97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can you really blow your arse out from doing too much weight on deads?

My friend saw a vid where some powerlifter blew his ass out! Scared me for awhile, so I started doing high rep deadlifts!
    "The worth and value of a man is in his heart and his will; there lies his real honor. Valor is the strength, not of legs and arms, but of heart and soul."

"Arrogance breeds confidence, confidence breeds success, success breeds respect."

"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f*ck the prom queen!"

"Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free"

HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HulkHagen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Deadlifts are the ****. When I started doing deadlifts and going heavy, my traps and lats both got noticably thicker and bigger. And yes they will wear your ass out. I don't even do cardio on my back days usually now, because I'm so exhausted from deadlifts lol.

Goosey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Goosey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Goosey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Goosey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Goosey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Goosey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Goosey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Goosey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Goosey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've started doing deadlifts about two weeks ago too. It's great. I still am not sure if I have my form down perfectly though. I got the up motion pretty well, but putting the weight back down seems to be the most straining part of the lift, especially for my lower back. Would it be better if I keep my reps low like 4-6 on deadlifts?

xilinx is not very well liked. (-100) xilinx is not very well liked. (-100) xilinx is not very well liked. (-100) xilinx is not very well liked. (-100) xilinx is not very well liked. (-100) xilinx is not very well liked. (-100) xilinx is not very well liked. (-100) xilinx is not very well liked. (-100) xilinx is not very well liked. (-100) xilinx is not very well liked. (-100) xilinx is not very well liked. (-100)
    if i do deadlifts in the morning..i find my posture is much better throughout the day. great exercise if you wanna give ur posture a blast. same goes with chest flyes for upper body posture.
    "If brute force doesn't solve your problem, then you're not using enough!"

MrNova has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrNova has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah I started deadlifting this summer for the first time at 155lb, and two days ago I was repping 285 with alot more energy left, will probablly hit 300+ next week. It's a great ego booster and does make me feel sore in places I've never worked before. And I'm really noticing my upper body starting to bulk as a result. I've got the same problem as Goosey though; Self taught myself the form so I'm not 100% sure I'm doing it right, and it strains the most on my back when im lowering it, even though I'm focussing on keeping my back tight and not rolled.