Angelus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein Discussion with Nutrionalist

My work has brought in a nutritionalist to do a 10 session "Health and Eating Seminar".

Anyways, did a BF test and came in at 150lbs at 14.6%BF and I am just starting to get back into my training and fairly clean bulking routine.

Now I talked to her specifically about P/C/F %s and she says my protein is way to high. I am an hard gaining ectomorph which she knows but she says even on a bulking diet I should only consume 0.8g of protein per pound of body weight. Currently I am taking in about 1.5g of protein per pound. My MNR is about 38P/34C/28F

Should I stay with my current 1.5g or go down to 0.8g?
    On the come back from a furbar'd shoulder and laziness

creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    im in no way an expert but i personally would not go below 1 gram / per pound of body weight for protein

Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Angelus
    My work has brought in a nutritionalist to do a 10 session "Health and Eating Seminar".

Anyways, did a BF test and came in at 150lbs at 14.6%BF and I am just starting to get back into my training and fairly clean bulking routine.

Now I talked to her specifically about P/C/F %s and she says my protein is way to high. I am an hard gaining ectomorph which she knows but she says even on a bulking diet I should only consume 0.8g of protein per pound of body weight. Currently I am taking in about 1.5g of protein per pound. My MNR is about 38P/34C/28F

Should I stay with my current 1.5g or go down to 0.8g?
    and that is why i would never go see a nutritionalist

Originally Posted by (Oz)
    and that is why i would never go see a nutritionalist
    true enough.... but this woman and her associates are 'Sport Nutritionalists'. She says she is going to bring me in some info in regards to bodybuilding vs protein intake. She asked me if I got my info from all those "Muscle Mags" I laughed at her (nicely) and said that would be pretty expensive toilet paper.

SprtNvolcoM00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SprtNvolcoM00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SprtNvolcoM00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SprtNvolcoM00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SprtNvolcoM00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SprtNvolcoM00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SprtNvolcoM00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SprtNvolcoM00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SprtNvolcoM00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SprtNvolcoM00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SprtNvolcoM00 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think you will get what you want out of 1g of protien ED. The theory on protien consumption g/per lbs of body weight has many different sides. Personally, I eat around 1.5g ED.

Play with the numbers and try to determine what works better for you. Her estamite of .8g usually comes from a national average for active healthy adults. There is no set #. Their may be a slight variation of .3g to .5g depending on the individual.

Your diet will also play a role in the amount of protien you eat. Low carbs = high protien fats and visa verse. So as I mentioned, play around with the numbers until you din something that works for you.

GOOD LUCK!
    UNDERSTAND ... The information stated above (my advice) is based soly on personal experiences. It is only MY opinion unless stated otherwise.

AIM: Sprt N VolcoM

RMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you need more carbs is the point

Thanks SprtNvolcoM00

I have actually brought my protein levels down from over 2g/lbs

An average day for me is about 4300cal @ 276g P/ 435g C/ 128g F.

So far it feels good, my previous bulks were extremely dirty lol.

US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My professor has a PHD in exercise physiology and trains personal trainers.

He told me athletes can go as high as 1.5g of protein although you should never exceed 2g.

He argues with the "nutritionists" on campus because they are all convinced anything over 0.8 is horrible for you. Of course they don't lift weights and do all kinds of muscle intensive activities.

Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by US_Ranger

He told me athletes can go as high as 1.5g of protein although you should never exceed 2g.

He argues with the "nutritionists" on campus because they are all convinced anything over 0.8 is horrible for you. Of course they don't lift weights and do all kinds of muscle intensive activities.
    I agree with your professor.

Between 1-1.5 g/pound/day is good.

Originally Posted by Bignbuff
    I agree with your professor.

Between 1-1.5 g/pound/day is good.

Thanks all,

1.5g/lbs/d for me it is.

This girl was preaching about the bad side of suppliments too and that people use to much Whey protein in some of their diets. And to a point I do agree with that as most of us do here, it is better to get your protein from real food sources than from a suppliment. I only use two scoops of whey a day now, one in the morning and the other in my PWO shake and I do have oats and milk in my shakes so I think it is pretty well balanced.

Xoreo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xoreo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xoreo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xoreo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xoreo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xoreo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xoreo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xoreo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xoreo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xoreo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xoreo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ya, I'm taking in about 1.2g per pound. I get about 1/2 my protien intake per day from whey shakes, now that I think of it lol... Probably not the best thing to do . I have a shake (3 scoops with milk) mid morning and another one PWO. But hell, I'm losing wieght and gaining muscle and strength so it can't be all bad

391rippy is just really nice. (+1000) 391rippy is just really nice. (+1000) 391rippy is just really nice. (+1000) 391rippy is just really nice. (+1000) 391rippy is just really nice. (+1000) 391rippy is just really nice. (+1000) 391rippy is just really nice. (+1000) 391rippy is just really nice. (+1000) 391rippy is just really nice. (+1000) 391rippy is just really nice. (+1000) 391rippy is just really nice. (+1000)
    my nutrition professor, who has a phd and is a nutritionist as well, explained to me that .8 is all you need, but it's far from optimal. 1.5-2.0 would be optimal.
    Prime Signature Real Estate for Rent
    Advertise Here!

rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I wanted to become a sports nutritionist just for that reason - to try halt the influx of well-intended but outdated information coming from most of the nutritionists out there right now. Damn that old USDA food pyramid and RDA. The RDA pretty much sucks.

The only time I would advocate going above 1.5g of protein per lb is when a severely underweight individual is on a refeed from an eating disorder or some kind of starvation regime. The protein would then be used to repair the traumatized body.
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=527284

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
    part of DA...keep it on the QT

FeMMisc SPA #5

htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    what is your workout like? if you're only workin out like 1 or 2 muscles a day, not even an entire body part (upper, lower, core) then theres no reason to eat 1-1.5g p/bw. i mean think about it, if you're going to the gym and just doing like curl bar curls, db curls, then some tricep exercises, what is your body suppose to do with all that protein besides make u poop it out? you think ur arms are gonna absorb that 100 or whatever grams of protein?
    post about your transformation:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=769907

htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by US_Ranger

yea cause athletes train all day everyday, so your body would need it.

lets be honest, some of the guys here go to the gym for 45min to an hr working out one muscle group, MAYBE 2 and im sure they arent doing an efficient job.. theres no reason for these people to be eating 1-1.5g...
    post about your transformation:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=769907

El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_Animal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    She's just one of those retards that think it will kill your kidneys. Show me a study and I will believe it. Shoot for 1g per pound of bodyweight.

btw I would change your macronutrient raio if I were u.

zjman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    registered dietician's are always very conservative like that, they always recomdend 0.8 grams of protein per kg of body weight (about 0.37g per pound). I know a dietician at my college and that is what she recommends, maybe that is for a couch potato who eats Marshmellow Maties all day long. However anyone serious with training should consume at least 1g per pound of body weight for a minimum. This equals out to 2.2g per kg of body weight.

samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) samos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    FFS.

I'm going to tear my hair out one day. I see all these ectomorphs on high protein moderate carb diets. It's so ****ing frustrating. My mate wondered why he could not put on mass, he wasn't eating enough carbs! I had a look at his diet, upped carb intake and surely enough he's gaining.

You do NEED protein, but especially for an ectomorph 1g per lb is ample. I'd savour more for CHO.

You're body is already a bloody furnace being an ectomorph, give it more protein (which has the greatest thermic effect) and there'll be no wonder why you're not gaining. For example, eat a chicken breast worth 100 calories, protein has a 30% thermic effect rate so 30 of those calories are used digesting it.

It comes a lot down to body types and mass. Some people require the 1.5-2g/lb body weight (endos where fat-storage is prominant) and a moderate carb intake (again some endos carb sensitive) but CHO are essential. I honestly and STRONGLY recommend carbohydrates take up NO lower than 40% of your daily caloric intake (unless of course you're a few weeks before competition yada yada and you need to shred up) up to 60% CHO. Being pretty mesomorphic with a few endo traits I vary between 45-55% CHO, 20-30% fats, and the rest protein.

Please eat your carbs.

xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by samos1
    I'm going to tear my hair out one day. I see all these ectomorphs on high protein moderate carb diets. It's so ****ing frustrating. My mate wondered why he could not put on mass, he wasn't eating enough carbs! I had a look at his diet, upped carb intake and surely enough he's gaining.
    I understand your frustration, their are far to many carbo-phobes around these days. But that is for another discussion. As far as protein needs for athletes go, the main researcher in this field IMO is Peter Lemon.
    Here was a thread on bb.com about it...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...ighlight=lemon

A few little things I dug up from Lemon...
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...t_uids=9841962
    Int J Sport Nutr. 1998 Dec;8(4):426-47. Related Articles, Links

Effects of exercise on dietary protein requirements.

Lemon PW.

Faculties of Health Sciences and Medicine, 3M Centre, The University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada N6A 3K7.

This paper reviews the factors (exercise intensity, carbohydrate availability, exercise type, energy balance, gender, exercise training, age, and timing of nutrient intake or subsequent exercise sessions) thought to influence protein need. Although there remains some debate, recent evidence suggests that dietary protein need increases with rigorous physical exercise. Those involved in strength training might need to consume as much as 1.6 to 1.7 g protein x kg(-1) x day(-1) (approximately twice the current RDA) while those undergoing endurance training might need about 1.2 to 1.6 g x kg(-1) x day(-1) (approximately 1.5 times the current RDA). Future longitudinal studies are needed to confirm these recommendations and asses whether these protein intakes can enhance exercise performance. Despite the frequently expressed concern about adverse effects of high protein intake, there is no evidence that protein intakes in the range suggested will have adverse effects in healthy individuals.

AND MORE:

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/19/suppl_5/513S
    "A variety of factors interact to increase dietary protein needs of individuals who exercise regularly. Although future study will need to determine precise recommendations, current research indicates that as long as energy intake is adequate a daily protein intake of 1.2–1.4 g/d for individuals participating in regular endurance exercise and 1.6–1.8 g/kg for their counterparts involved in strength exercise (Fig. 13) should be sufficient. To ensure these increased needs are met, care should be taken to consume a diet containing adequate energy and a selection of high quality protein foods, i.e., dairy products, eggs, meat, fish and soy products. Select populations may be at increased risk of not consuming sufficient protein due to increased requirements for a variety of other reasons, i.e., unbalanced diet (vegetarians), inadequate energy intake (dieters or athletes with high energy expenditure, especially women), higher baseline requirements (those who are growing or the elderly) and so on. More study is necessary before all of this can be untangled."

Feel free to extrapolate whatever you wish from those studies. If anyone has more recent stuff to contribute, I'd love to see it, I am having horrible luck on pubmed lately.
    Unaffiliated.