Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jaymorrr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How many times should you work each bodypart per week?

For awhile I thought the general consensus was that once a week was enough but I see some people on here that seem to disagree. What are all of your thoughts on this subject (how often do you work each bodypart and why)

Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    TBH, i think all people should be training their muscles 2-3 times a week.

It might not be productive for an experienced weight trainer, but for the majority, i think it's necerssary.

I've always been taught that it takes 48 hours for your muscles to recover.

So where do you think the once a week craze came from?

Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jaymorrr View Post
    Body building magazines. Alot of pros do that type of routine for better conditioning. But for someone who is still relatively new to bodybuilding and wants to put on muscle, then an 3 day a week full body program is best or the trainng workout from rippetoe.

These pros already have the size, they are more concerned with muscle definition, seperation and shape.

LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    because for advanced bodybuilders splits are great

they allow you to focus on lagging bodyparts and giving alot of emphasis to each bodypart and attack them with many different exercises and lots of volume

for advanced bodybuilders the combination of needing more volume to grow than a newb and needing more tiem to recover due to higher weights being used makes a split ideal

so its basically the specialization (try growing great arms without enough direct arm work, great delts without direct delt work, etc....) and the recovery/volume factor

they are popular for a reason
    Best Raw USAPL Competition Lifts
    S - 415
    B - 315
    D - 540
    Total - 1245

Training Log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153130001&p=1052251991#post1052251991

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by LSU1 View Post
    because for advanced bodybuilders splits are great

they allow you to focus on lagging bodyparts and giving alot of emphasis to each bodypart and attack them with many different exercises and lots of volume

for advanced bodybuilders the combination of needing more volume to grow than a newb and needing more tiem to recover due to higher weights being used makes a split ideal

so its basically the specialization (try growing great arms without enough direct arm work, great delts without direct delt work, etc....) and the recovery/volume factor

they are popular for a reason
    I agree with LSU1 - though I would like to add a War Eagle to that!

I feel that for initially putting on size, training each body part multiple times per week (2-3) is probably ideal. But once one reaches a certain point, I believe you must train with higher volume (and therefore less frequency) in order to progress to the next level.

So I would venture to say that most people should each body part 2 or 3 times per week. Not too many people are advanced enough to need to train each just once per week.
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.

James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000)
    jaymorr, what are your specific goals? If we know whether you are training for size, strength, general health or sport we might be able to give you a better answer.

Originally Posted by James_Byrne View Post
    jaymorr, what are your specific goals? If we know whether you are training for size, strength, general health or sport we might be able to give you a better answer.
    Put on as much mass as possible as quick as possible. So do you think all of these e books like muscle now by francesco castano and another one by Anthony Ellis that advocate training a body part no more then once at most twice per week are full of crap?

LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i found that for a fairly new trainee an upper/lower heavy/light split with four workouts a week was outstanding

thats what i would recommend to a new to intermediate bodybuilder
    Best Raw USAPL Competition Lifts
    S - 415
    B - 315
    D - 540
    Total - 1245

Training Log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153130001&p=1052251991#post1052251991

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Because it f*cking works, that's why.

Bodybuilding magazines did not "make up" once a week training. In fact the first I heard of it was from a bodybuilding magazine.....that was reporting what a lot of people were doing.

Once per week training evolved from 2x per week which evolved from 3x per week. If it didn't work, people wouldn't be doing it. And "drugs" would be a way to train MORE, not less. To say otherwise is idiotic.

Do a lot of people start it to soon? IMO, yes.

Does it work very well for advanced guys especially drug free? Yep.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

DoMiNuS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoMiNuS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do a five day cycle for my workouts. I hit each body part once every 5 days and I do not take any days off. So its mostly 1 time a week for each muscle but two muscle get hit 2 times a week occasinally because of the 5 day cycle.

I like this routine better then the gaurenteed 2 time a week routine because I hit my parts extra hard because Im only doing it once ever 5 days.
    Remember this when you are in the gym: The Only easy day was yesterday.

olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Dr Clay View Post
    I agree with LSU1 - though I would like to add a War Eagle to that!

I feel that for initially putting on size, training each body part multiple times per week (2-3) is probably ideal. But once one reaches a certain point, I believe you must train with higher volume (and therefore less frequency) in order to progress to the next level.

So I would venture to say that most people should each body part 2 or 3 times per week. Not too many people are advanced enough to need to train each just once per week.
    for those who haven't seen it, Dr Clay just wrote an article for t-nation.com

check it out at http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1692967

So noone thinks a body part once per week for a beginner is the way to go? I've read some peoples progress on here who claim to have made huge gains on the once per week routine when starting out, what gives? Is Bill Phillips Body For Life full of garbage since he recommends only once per week?

keeving has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) keeving has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) keeving has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) keeving has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) keeving has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) keeving has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) keeving has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) keeving has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) keeving has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) keeving has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) keeving has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My trainer has me train every body part twice a week in the off-season. But that's for athletes. It's what works best for you. Try a few things out. I think 3 times becomes to much, and I have seen great and quick results from lifting each body part twice.

DoMiNuS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoMiNuS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think once a week is perfectly fine. If you are going to hit the muscle groups only once per week just make sure you hit them extremely hard because you are allow 7 days for recovery, make sure you muscle actually need the 7 days to recover. If you hit them weak and they only need 3 days, then you would be waisting your time.

Fasting Intermittently dj_tiesto's Avatar
    dj_tiesto is on a distinguished road. (+10) dj_tiesto is on a distinguished road. (+10) dj_tiesto is on a distinguished road. (+10) dj_tiesto is on a distinguished road. (+10) dj_tiesto is on a distinguished road. (+10) dj_tiesto is on a distinguished road. (+10) dj_tiesto is on a distinguished road. (+10) dj_tiesto is on a distinguished road. (+10) dj_tiesto is on a distinguished road. (+10) dj_tiesto is on a distinguished road. (+10) dj_tiesto is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i guess it depends solely on your level of experience, then recovery abilites and finally the biofeedback of your body. I always thought of fullbody / upper-lower / push-pull as overall mass-building routines and BP splits as physique-refining routines.
    "There's no abracadabra, wave a magic wand, get the results you're looking for. Harry Potter isn't going to take off his invisibility cloak and give you a potion that Professor Snape whipped up that will make you buff in 60 seconds or your money back. You've got to work your ass off" - VikingMan

Dogmatic, highly-specific training, and nutrition protocols are unnecessary and can negatively effect motivation.

I've never done the push/pull type of excercises.

Day 1 - Chest/Abs
    Day 2 - Back
    Day 3 - Arms
    Day 4 - Shoulders/Legs
    Day 5 - Start over again.

So I'm only hitting each muscle every 5th day.

SLiCkNiCk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SLiCkNiCk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SLiCkNiCk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SLiCkNiCk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SLiCkNiCk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SLiCkNiCk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SLiCkNiCk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SLiCkNiCk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SLiCkNiCk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SLiCkNiCk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SLiCkNiCk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what about full body 4x a week? 2 days in a row, two days off...so on

Is that too much?

N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My take?

I agree that training a bodypart 1x per week with multiple sets & exercises is definatly for the more advance lifter that already has a good strength base. An experianced lifter is far more efficient at "damaging" his muscle when training, uses more volume (usualy) and therfore needs greater time for recovery. This is not right across the board though, my favorite natural pro Layne Norton trains each bodypart 2x per even in his advanced stage.

Its true that while each bodypart 1x per week works very well for some, its also the reason why many lifters are at the same place they were 2 years ago.

For beginners-intermediates either 2x per week or once every 4-5 days is ideal focusing on gettin numbers up on the big compounds using low-moderate volume.
    Last edited by britlifter; 08-21-2007 at 11:51 PM.

N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DoMiNuS View Post
    I've never done the push/pull type of excercises.

Day 1 - Chest/Abs
    Day 2 - Back
    Day 3 - Arms
    Day 4 - Shoulders/Legs
    Day 5 - Start over again.

So I'm only hitting each muscle every 5th day.
    No rest days?

kenmcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenmcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenmcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenmcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenmcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenmcv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with the majority on here and train each bodypart twice a week, but I occasionaly cycle the training so I train with huge volume and intensity but only train each bodypart once a week.

Originally Posted by SLiCkNiCk View Post
    what about full body 4x a week? 2 days in a row, two days off...so on

Is that too much?
    In theory if the volume was managed properly then it could work, tho I wouldnt recommend it. if you want to train 4x per week 2on 1off 2on 2off try either

upper/lower
    OR
    legs back biceps/chest shoulders triceps

on the 1st legs back biceps day combine

deadlifts
    leg press
    pullups, pulldowns or chins
    a curl

on the 2nd legs back biceps day combine

squats
    ham work
    rows
    a curl

chest shoulders triceps is pretty self explanitory, try a combination of bench, incline, dips, overhead pressing, lateral raises, tricep work etc...

buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    my best gains came from x1 a week, if i was ever to try x2 i would have to turn down the volumeeee

Originally Posted by jimjunkie View Post
    my best gains came from x1 a week, if i was ever to try x2 i would have to turn down the volumeeee
    ""turn down the volumeeee"" being the operative words

kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    1) Genetics
    2) Nutrition
    3) Pharmacology
    4) Goals
    5) Experience
    6) Bodypart volume per workout
    7) Target bodypart volume per week
    8) Bodypart strengths and weaknesses
    9) Entire body volume per workout
    10) Entire body target volume per week
    11) Specific exercises incorporated
    12) Repetition range/intensity/perceived exertion per exercise per training session
    13) Age

Here are 13 things listed randomly off the top of my head (while carb depleted from a hard workout - I'm sure I could come up with several more if I thought about it) that influence the answer to this question. Tweek one of these variables, and you may very well require a different answer to the question.

Full body can work for some people under the right circumstances
    Push/pull can work for some people under the right circumstances
    Upper/lower can work for some people under the right circumstances
    Bodypart splits can work for some people under the right circumstances

How do we know which to do? Answer questions #1 through #13 above before you even consider asking this question.

and once you ask the question, consider the following

1) Everything works
    2) Nothing works forever
    3) Some things work better than others for different people under different circumstances at different times (refer back to #1-#13 for details of the "different circumstances")
    Last edited by kethnaab; 08-22-2007 at 09:04 AM.

1badvette is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1badvette is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1badvette is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1badvette is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1badvette is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1badvette is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1badvette is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1badvette is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1badvette is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1badvette is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1badvette is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    im still trying to put on size, im strong but not yet as big as i wanna be. i started doing 2x a week then i was told that im over training and need to hit 1x a week??

i started doing 2x a week heavy one day and then light high reps the 2 nd time.

chest/tri.................... heavy
    back/bies...................light
    shoulder/legs..............heavy

off

chest/tri.................. light
    back/bies................heavy
    shoulder/legs..........light

off

what do you guys thing....

kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    please see the post directly above you and answer more questions. You're getting closer though! =)

stanielz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    =/ i dont know how u would hit a body part 2-3 times a week, im not advanced or anything but i do a 5 day split 2 day rest work out, and if i were to for example try benching again with the same week i would not be able to lift anything near my normal weight becuz id be sore =/ can anyone enlighten me?

Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    Because it f*cking works, that's why.

Bodybuilding magazines did not "make up" once a week training. In fact the first I heard of it was from a bodybuilding magazine.....that was reporting what a lot of people were doing.

Once per week training evolved from 2x per week which evolved from 3x per week. If it didn't work, people wouldn't be doing it. And "drugs" would be a way to train MORE, not less. To say otherwise is idiotic.

Do a lot of people start it to soon? IMO, yes.

Does it work very well for advanced guys especially drug free? Yep.
    Couldn't agree more

I believe there is a time and place for more than once per week per muscle group but the freq drops off to once per week as you get more advanced. As I periodically explain -- same questions keep popping up over and over again - the reason is because although your muscles get larger and stronger the rate at which protein synthesis goes on stays the same - dependant on hormone levels, (roid use), food intake etc but it is what it is - it doesn't increase (by itself) as your muscles get bigger and stronger.

So for example when you are benching 315lb you are damaging a lot more muscle tissue than when you were only pushing 95lb, yet your body's resouces to repair it stays ther same; thus the repairs (and overcompensation) take longer.

Quite apart from the theory, I know in my own case that I can't bench heavy more than once per week or my bench performance goes down noticably and I mean quite a bit (I've tried swapping to twice per week often enough to know it just does not work at all for me). (Back in the days when I pushed 65lb for a workout benching every 2nd day was no problem).

It wasn't because of something I read in a body building magazine that I do muscle groups once per week. Its due to what I have found works from a process of trial and error over the course of 21 years of training.

(Note again that there are some people who can indeed bench or whatever more than once per week but they are those people whose current muscle mass and strength levels are such that they are not yet pushing or coming close to their bodies recuperation limits - if thats you hurray you've probably got a lot more potential for growth then, never the less a point will come when once per week is a lot more optimal).
    Last edited by Reality_Check; 08-22-2007 at 11:46 PM.

noelgallagher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noelgallagher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noelgallagher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noelgallagher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noelgallagher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noelgallagher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I like once a week