Thread: Lifting heavy

TrueLoca has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Questions: work out routine, protein and such

I've been reading this forum for a while but havn't found the answers for my questions. So, if you could direct me to the proper thread - please do

So here are my questions:
    My goal is to burn fat and get nicely defined body (not extremely ripped or such). I do 40-40-20 (p/c/f) with clean eating diet with cal deficit (up to 1600 per day). My workout routine is 5 days per week - each day - one big muscle group + abs every day + 30 min HITT or SS cardio after lifting. I lift for each ex. 3 sets x 6-7 reps max weight till failure (abs - 2 ex. 3setsX15 reps + 25lb). With this said,
    1. Will heavy lifting routine bulk me up if my diet is calories deficitient?
    2. Should I have protein shake after workout if I try to preserve my muscle but don't want to bulk up? (now I have 1 scoop of ON 100% whey gold - 24g protein and 4.5g glutamin in it). If yes, should it be only protein or some carbs in this shake as well? (I do only with water for now).
    3. How much protein shakes should I do per day? What's your opinion about protein bars as a meal replacement or after workout?(I tried detour - yum)
    4. Does my workout routine look OK to you if I try to burn body fat? Should I do more cardio?
    5. What is the difference in fat burning between HITT and SS cardio? WHich burns more?

I will really appreciate your input. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by TrueLoca; 08-18-2007 at 11:38 AM.

Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    1) No. Personally, I think women are a bit phobic about bulking up. In general: you do not have the genetic make up to bulk up, only the happy few bulk up BIG, (and even then, it 's gonna take a whole lot of work).
    2) I think I would take some protein, yes. As it was explained to me, take carbs first, and then protein, so the protein will go directly in to your muscles. But then again, I only recently read on T-Nation that those who work out for aesthetic reasons might do without the carb intake.
    3) other people can help you better with that than I can..
    4)You've only placed a very concise summare of a work out, but personally I would go for fullbody workout 3 times a week and two cardio sessions. Fullbody gives your body a great stimulance to change and get stronger and leaner.
    5) I try to avoid cardio, so somebody else should help you here.
    Last edited by Euqinom; 08-18-2007 at 04:32 AM.

Wink

Originally Posted by Euqinom View Post
    4)You've only placed a very concise summare of a work out, but personally I would go for fullbody workout 3 times a week and two cardio sessions. Fullbody gives your body a great stimulance to change and get stronger and leaner.
    Thank you for an answer, Euqinom. I tried a full body workout in one day before, but with cardio after. I barely made it home, lol. So, I thought if I split - it will be a less killer.
    I think if i decrease the number of exercises for each body part and do cardio on the next day, like you suggest, - it will really make a difference and I would be able to live happily through and after.
    I work out as I described above for two month already and didn't see much results. Well, some inches I lost but not to my full satisfaction .
    I think, you are right about changing my work out routine. I will give it a try (I feel like I hit a plateau and need urgently some plateau busters suggestions).

If anybody can answer about protein and cardio questions - will be nice. Sorry, if I am too annoying with my dum questions
    T.L.
    Last edited by TrueLoca; 08-18-2007 at 11:32 AM.

enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you're doing 30 minutes of cardio 5-6 days a week, that should be plenty.

How long have you been on your current program?

What have your results been?

The answers to those questions will tell you whether or not you need to tweak your program.
    The fight is won or lost in the gym.

Thank you for your answer, Enforcerlady. You, girls, look so great!!! It gives great motivation but at the same time the impatience to get to your level kills me and I just want to see results faster

Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TrueLoca View Post
    Thank you for an answer, Euqinom. I tried a full body workout in one day before, but with cardio after. I barely made it home, lol. So, I thought if I split - it will be a less killer.
    I think if i decrease the number of exercises for each body part and do cardio on the next day, like you suggest, - it will really make a difference and I would be able to live happily through and after.
    I work out as I described above for two month already and didn't see much results. Well, some inches I lost but not to my full satisfaction .
    I think, you are right about changing my work out routine. I will give it a try (I feel like I hit a plateau and need urgently some plateau busters suggestions).

If anybody can answer about protein and cardio questions - will be nice. Sorry, if I am too annoying with my dum questions
    T.L.
    If you're gonna go that way, really, try fullbody and focus on compoundmovements. I used to work with a fullbody using an AB split and did only 3 exercises per training and got great results. (A-T-bar, Bench PRess, Squat, B-Deadlift, Pull Ups/LatPull, Military PRess. Later on, I started using 3 repranges per week, but hey, just see how far this will get you.) It's the killerpart that gets you ;-) ;-).
    And remember: when counting reps, "ten" (or whatever number you pick) is an aim not a goal! Most women try to hard to get to "ten", and that way do not work hard enough. I'm not sure if you completely get what I'm saying in the last sentence, but err.. that's something I notice with a lot of women working out and not getting the big results they want.