comptechgsr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

critique my workout routine and diet

Monday
    Morning = 20-30 minutes of stair master
    Afternoon (after work and school, usually at around 6-8pm)
    -Chinups, 3x7
    -Lat pull down, 3x10
    -Lat Row, 3x10
    -lower back exercise (the one when you're at a 45 degree angle bent over, then pull back up--like a reverse situp)
    -leg lifts (for the stomach, i use that roman incline thing)

Tuesday
    -military press, 3x10
    -deltoids (front side rear, each side 3x3x3 for each area)
    -bench press (with bench parallel to floor, 3x10)
    -dips (full body weight, 3x10)
    -side crunches (like i go on that incline machine and bend over on my lft/rt sides)

Wednesday
    Afternoon (at 6-8pm)
    -run 3 miles, usually in 20-25 minutes straight
    -crunches with swiss ball

Thursday
    -Pullups, 3x10
    -Lat pull down, 3x10
    -Lat Row, 3x10
    -lower back exercise (the one when you're at a 45 degree angle bent over, then pull back up--like a reverse situp)

Friday
    -military press, 3x10
    -Pec flys
    -side crunches (like i go on that incline machine and bend over on my lft/rt sides)

Saturday & Sunday

How is this, i used to do a lot of stomach exercises, but someone told me i should just do one exercise per day

DIET-weekdays

Morning
    cereal (with skim milk) or oat meal
    odwalla juice or smoothie
    some water
    vitamin supplement

Lunch
    i usually get a beef burrito and minute maid juice or water
    OR i'll get a grilled chicken sandwich (with tomato/cheese/lettuce/mushroom/onions)

Dinner
    usually pasta (if i eat dinner before my workout, sometimes it's creamy pasta)
    or rice with a type of meat
    side of vegetables

if i want to snack, i usually eat fruit or raw veggies.

GOAL:
    6-8 pack and totally lean, like brad pitt fight club lean or bruce lee status (but not too skinny)
    i'm 5'9.5" and 164 lbs. right now

i also have a whey protein shake (like 60-70g's) after my lifting routines,
    and i have about 20g of whey protein after stair master

hallow

mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by comptechgsr
    Monday
    -Chinups, 3x7
    -Lat pull down, 3x10
    -Lat Row, 3x10
    morning cardio is good, just make sure you take some carbs and protein after. it'd be preferable not to do weights so late, may interfere with your sleep quality. something like 5-6 pm would be better. the lower back exercise is called hyperextension.
    Tuesday
    -military press, 3x10
    -bench press (with bench parallel to floor, 3x10)
    i'd do bench press before shoulders. if you preexhuast your shoulders you won't be able to lift as heavy for bench press. 3x3x3? what do you mean? 3 reps for each part? that's not nearly good enough, especially if you do it nonstop, one after another. you don't really need to work out the anterior delts usually, unless you're not gaining there. just do lateral and rear if you see fit. alternatively you could do another compound shoulder exercise like dumbbell shoulder press. i'd add flyes to this day.
    Wednesday
    Afternoon (at 6-8pm)
    ok
    Thursday
    -Pullups, 3x10
    -Lat pull down, 3x10
    -Lat Row, 3x10
    well you're doing back again?! there seems to be no bicep/tricep/leg exercises in your workout! that is bad. you'd end up with a big chest and big back, and puny arms and small legs. you'd look really funny. you should dump your lat workout on this day, and hit the legs on this day.
    try this routine: squats / stiff legged deadlifts/ calf raises / leg curls + abs
    Friday
    -military press, 3x10
    -Pec flys
    shoulders again. i've already mentioned the point above. you would tend to overtrain if you do body parts twice a week, with so little rest in between. do biceps and triceps , like : close grip bench press, dips, pulldowns for the tris, and dumbbell curls / preacher curls for the bis.

How is this, i used to do a lot of stomach exercises, but someone told me i should just do one exercise per day
    you don't have to do one exercise per day. you shouldn't train abs more than 3 times a week. optimally you should aim for about 2 exercises per day for 3 days a week. try to do weighted abs exercises , and train them like any other muscle - low reps. only then would they grow.

another point i noticed was your high amount of cardio. what exactly are your goals? to cut or to gain muscle size? if you're planning to gain when losing fat, try to cut cardio down to about 2-3 days a week, else your gains might be seriously compromised. you look as if you're overdoing it. wait, you're definitely overdoing it

Morning
    some water
    vitamin supplement
    there's not enough protein in this meal, add some protein supplement like whey in the morning or drink more milk. i have no idea what odwalla juice is, but if its full of sugar, cut it out and replace with milk. you could also eat animal protein like beef / tuna. pretty convenient.
    Lunch
    OR i'll get a grilled chicken sandwich (with tomato/cheese/lettuce/mushroom/onions)
    i've no idea about the beef burrito. the grilled chicken sandwich seems better though. make sure you get whole wheat bread, not the white bread, which is not really that good for you.
    Dinner
    side of vegetables
    creamy pasta is full of fat that is not healthy. take the pasta with tomato based sauce, it's better. try to up the amount of protein in your diet, it really seems inadequate so far.

you should be eating a meal every 2 to 3 hours! and every meal should contain moderate carb at least some protein and moderate fat, so as to keep your body in an anabolic state. work on this please.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

meandmyiv / scott donald / DarkFalcon

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    DIET-weekdays

Morning
    some water
    vitamin supplement

Lunch

Dinner
    side of vegetables

i'm 5'9.5" and 164 lbs. right now
    Ideally you want to eat 5-8 small meals a day. Each meal should have a signifigant amount of protein.

Here are some general guidlines for foods that are good...

-lean protein(tuna, chicken)
    -complex carbs(whole wheat bread, sweet potatoes, basmati rice, oats)
    -lots of fruits and veggies
    -healthy fats(alomnds...unsalted, walnuts...unsalted, natural peanut butter, flax seeds, extra virgin oilve oil)

Some things to avoid...

-white bread
    -sugar(candy)
    -processed foods
    -foods high in saturated fat(just read the labels)
    -fast food

The juices you are drinking have way too much sugar in them, just drink water or skim milk.
    Hope this helps
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

Danz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

awesome all,
    thank you so much for your help

one question though...

i thought doing a lot of pullups/chinups was good enough for working the biceps--as well as the lat exercises?

also, i thought dips were an excellent way to work both chest and triceps?

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    awesome all,
    thank you so much for your help

one question though...

i thought doing a lot of pullups/chinups was good enough for working the biceps--as well as the lat exercises?

also, i thought dips were an excellent way to work both chest and triceps?
    Both pulls/chins and dips are great excersises to incorporate into a routine cus they are complex movements. Chins hit lats more and biceps less than pullups.
    My Training Journal...

Check out...

Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    do you have legs?

Originally Posted by Mikey1
    do you have legs?
    As for the legs, i thought running ~3 miles on wed/sat/sun was good for cardio

and 30 minutes stair master for mon-tues, thurs-fri---my calves and quads are pretty huge

As for the legs, i thought running ~3 miles on wed/sat/sun was good for cardio

and 30 minutes stair master for mon-tues, thurs-fri---my calves and quads are pretty huge
    Running and cardio work is not suffiecent in training your legs. You should really have a leg day. Some of the best lifts in bodybuilding involve your legs such as squats and deadlifts. These also help your overall strength.
    My Training Journal...

Check out...