dilatedmind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dilatedmind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dilatedmind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dilatedmind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dilatedmind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dilatedmind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dilatedmind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation how do you lower your dbs?!?!!

how do you lower your dumbells??

I kind of just throw them down from chest level.

i got **** today from our gym trainer for doing this. He said i should put them down, or move them from my chest to my quads and put them down.

ive hurt my wrists doing this before, and so im not going to do this. Does anyone agree with me, or is he really right?

Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do you mean on a db bench press?

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    He's right, sorry. I have bruises on my thighs from lowering them there. Nothings worse than loose or bent dbs. Nothing.

dilatedmind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dilatedmind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dilatedmind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dilatedmind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dilatedmind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dilatedmind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dilatedmind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah, i mean flat or incline db presses.

defiant1 - i see your point, i hate that too. i think im going to try to stop dropping them, but its tough when your exausted after a heavy set of presses. im kind of afraid to try it. Last time i did, i hurt my wrist, and i play frisbee, so hurting my wrist would take me out of the game.

akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    http://www.powerhooks.com/pages/859209/index.htm

I haven't tried them but they are supposed to be good. I have my brother-in-law making me a set in welding class (my own design)

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by akaMarko
    http://www.powerhooks.com/pages/859209/index.htm

^

Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Inclines should be no problem to put down.
    I am not trying to be better than you, just better than myself
    BB jiu jitsu team 2009

Originally posted by Dark Phoenix
    Inclines should be no problem to put down.
    try using 140s, lol.

Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    try using 140s, lol.
    For us "normal" people that is.
    If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you always got.

Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xanatos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Are you literally just dropping them as in just letting go of them and letting gravity take over from your chest level?

If so, he's more concerned about your damaging the gym/gym equipment more than your safety. But to answer your question, I lower them down, even if they come down faster than placing them down, it's better than letting go.

MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I saw a huge guy have two spotters in my gym taking 140 lb dumbbells away from him when he was done instead of him dropping them or lowering them to the ground. I used to do dumbbell bench press and I dropped them at the same time and I once felt a snap or a click in my sternum right after I let go of the dumbbells, but it wasn't painful. I stopped dropping them ever since and don't do them anymore. Going to near failure with heavy dumbbell makes putting them back on my thighs very hard to do when I'm done and I have to be careful with my wrists as well and not let them twist. I see people put them down to their sides without dropping them when they're done the set but that looks painful and looks like it can cause injury to the shoulders and there is no way I'm going to do that with 80 lbs dumbbells. I can go lighter and do a set without going close to failure and put them back on my thighs and sit up when I'm done but then I feel like I don't get an effective workout by not going close to failure.

Originally posted by Quantum_Man
    For us "normal" people that is.

Location: But the time has come when all good things shall pass.
    Faitless is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Faitless is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Faitless is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Faitless is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Faitless is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Faitless is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Faitless is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Faitless is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Faitless is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Faitless is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Faitless is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Re: how do you lower your dbs?!?!!

Originally posted by dilatedmind
    how do you lower your dumbells??

I kind of just throw them down from chest level.

i got **** today from our gym trainer for doing this. He said i should put them down, or move them from my chest to my quads and put them down.

ive hurt my wrists doing this before, and so im not going to do this. Does anyone agree with me, or is he really right?
    I've hurt my wrists before trying to lower heavy dumbells too ...
    so i quit lowering my waits slowly i just ****ing drop them when i'm done with the sets ...
    - "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog."
    - "What the mind can conceive, the body can achieve"
    - "Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."
    - "That which will not kill you will only make you stronger!."
    - "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight."
    - "Shortcuts are for pussies. You need to work your ass off."

TTG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm sure you're able to exert the little effort it takes to lower dbs normally. No need to drop them, causing the crashing sound etc. I would also tell you to stop doing that if I worked at that gym. No need to break equipment or people's hands/toes.

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you have to throw them down or drop them, then you're not in control of the weight.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by MiloMan
    If you have to throw them down or drop them, then you're not in control of the weight.
    Either that or they are very heavy. Try hammer curling a 100lb db to the ground. In control.
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

-ohashi

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by Steveo31
    Either that or they are very heavy. Try hammer curling a 100lb db to the ground. In control.
    If it has to be dropped (sudden injuries aside), then the lifter isn't in control and needs to learn how to get rid of them smoothly. Set the DBs back on your thighs and sit up; it worked fine for me with very heavy DBs, although I now use these:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/0320.html

I like them better than powerhooks (which I had tried).
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

AlphaOmega is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaOmega is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaOmega is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaOmega is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaOmega is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaOmega is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaOmega is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaOmega is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaOmega is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaOmega is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaOmega is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just bought a pair of the powerhooks. They take a little getting used to. On a regular bench you have to swing them out then press them. But I'm going to be using the Smith Machine to hold the hooks at a higher level (finally found a use for the smith machine =).
    d/b/a SonnyTheBull

Originally posted by Steveo31
    i've yet to see somebody who can -hammer- curl 100pds+ with decent form. actually, that isn't true; didn't petefox post a pic of him doing that just before he tore his bicep, heh.

thanks for the input guys.

for those of you who do it, can you explain how you put down your dbs. do you put then on your thighs while your laying down, or put them on your chest and slide them down?

the_invince is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_invince is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_invince is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_invince is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_invince is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_invince is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_invince is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_invince is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_invince is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_invince is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_invince is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    lower the dumbells to your chest and ask somebody to help you bring them down, no shame in asking for a spot.

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    ^
    This made me laugh because akaMarko beat you to your trademark 'problems with dumbells' response

Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/0320.html

I like them better than powerhooks (which I had tried).
    weird....
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

-ohashi

Originally posted by the_invince
    lower the dumbells to your chest and ask somebody to help you bring them down, no shame in asking for a spot.
    or be like ronnie and just chuck them all over the gym making the camera man run for cover

FF Punk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FF Punk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FF Punk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FF Punk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FF Punk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FF Punk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FF Punk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FF Punk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FF Punk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FF Punk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FF Punk is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Not true: you're exhausted, that's all. You see, it's hard to get them into the starting position, since you have to do a kind of a cheat curl, and it's hard to do that with 70 pds dbs if you can only curl 40s or so for a few reps, but when you're in the right position, if you can press them in a controlled manner on both positives and negatives, then the weights must not be too heavy after all.

Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Don't drop weights on the god damn floor. It pises other off, is not necessary and degrade the weights over time.