Thread: Night sweats

ghostwheel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Night sweats

Does anyone else have this happen?

I live in Kona, Hawaii so it is a bit more humid, but if i do aerobic activity during the day, then i sweat at night and wake up with damp sheets and my t shirt is damp around my neck. I did see a very small article in M&F mag about it.

Any further info is appreciated.

:-)

Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I too seem to get hot or hot flashes at night while sleeping but no sweat because my cieling fan is on high the AC on 73 degrees , and another rotating fan.
    Greater Knox BB 06 , 8 of 13 , Novice.

Battle At The River 07 , 5 of 7 , JMW

Greater Knox classic 07 , 8 of 9 JMW

Battle at the River 08 , 4 of 4 JMW Masters crossover

cage fight record 1-1
    1st fight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEGcQZCtgV4

2nd fight vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6dZyZbUZc4

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Re: Night sweats

Originally posted by ghostwheel
    if i do aerobic activity during the day, then i sweat at night and wake up with damp sheets and my t shirt is damp around my neck.
    How old are you? What is your gender?

When was your last complete physical examination? Were there any red flags that popped up from the exam?

Are you currently taking any prescription drugs? Have you done so recently? Are you taking any non-prescription drugs or supplements?
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Heres some more info.

Sleep Hyperhydrosis

Sleep hyperhydrosis, more commonly known as night sweats, causes excessive sweating while resting. Night sweats are not uncommon with fevers. Menopause, diabetes or drugs can cause them. But some people sweat without a fever or any identifiable disorder. Night sweats may be severe enough that rest is fragmented, as people have to wake up to change wet nightclothes and bed sheets.

Pregnancy Related Disorders

Pregnant women may experience hypersomnia or insomnia throughout their pregnancy. Restless legs syndrome is common during pregnancy. Although rare, night terrors have occasionally been reported during pregnancy.

Proposed Sleep Disorders

A number of possible sleep problems are under investigation. These proposed disorders have yet to be proven to be separate conditions. Bear in mind that many of these are quite rare, and that most slumber problems are more likely to be traced to established disorders.

Menstruation Related Disorders

Some women report episodes of insomnia or excessive tiredness prior to their menstrual period. Three types have been proposed: premenstrual insomnia, premenstrual hypersomnia, and menopausal insomnia. Further information on menstrual difficulties is available at Menstrual Disorders.

Nocturnal Myolconus

Nocturnal myolconus causes twitchy movements of the limbs during slumber. Although nocturnal myolconus is essentially harmless, it may result in patchy slumber.

Terrifying Hypnagogic Hallucinations

Hypnagogic hallucinations are dreamlike images and sounds that may occur just as a person is falling asleep or waking up. The hallucinations can be nightmarish and frightening.

Sleep Choking Syndrome

Sleep choking syndrome causes a choking sensation, often on a nightly basis. The affected individual wakes up with feelings of fear and anxiety. Although the condition resembles apnea, choking syndrome does not occur with the frequency of apnea, and is believed to be a separate condition.

Long and Short Sleepers

Some people require markedly longer or shorter periods of rest than others. Quality of rest and daytime performance are within normal limits for such individuals, but their total rest periods are unusual in length.

Sleep-Related Laryngospasm

A laryngospasm is a spasm of the throat. If a laryngospasm occurs while you're asleep, you wake up startled and choking. People prone to laryngospasms typically only have two or three over the course of a year.

cage fight record 1-1

Ahhh are you drinking?

Q: Why is alcohol detrimental to sleep?

A: After we have had a few drinks, alcohol often causes drowsiness and lets us get off to sleep quite easily. Later in the night, however, when the alcohol level in our blood decreases, our body's arousal mechanism is stimulated and our normal sleep pattern is impaired. In addition, one of the effects of alcohol is to stimulate the pouring of adrenalin into the bloodstream, causing arousal, sweating and palpitations. This can result in waking up half-way through the night, or earlier than normal, with the heart pounding, making it quite difficult to get to sleep again.

One of the effects of alcohol is to stimulate the pouring of adrenalin into the bloodstream, causing arousal, sweating and palpitation.

So are they saying drink your beer pre workout ?
    Last edited by Power-Quest; 07-05-2004 at 04:30 PM.

cage fight record 1-1

nightsweats / personal details

OK guys, I am 40, i really don't drink. My last beer was about 3 weeks ago at a party. (1 low carb beer).

I live in Hawaii which has some humidity, although on the Kona side that isn't that bad.

Other than a whiplash injury in january, which i see a chiropracter for, and a small rash on my wrist from something which was treated topically with an catabolic steroid cream, i am in good health, although i haven't had a checkup in a long long time.

I do take a BIG protein drink before bed so my metabolism does have to deal with that.

My workout is 3 day split. 3 on 1 or 2 off 3on.

(1 -chest, biceps triceps 2- swimming cycling and back 3- legs) I workout real hard.

Bench 250 supersets of 8 BB flat, decline smith bench, incline DB, and steeper angle incline BB

I do wake up around 4 :30 in the morning (when the stock market opens-old habits die hard) and usually there is night sweats and a HARD erection. (don't want that to go away just the sweats)

Supplements : Solgar multivit vegicaps, NOX2 (morning and early afternoon only) somtimes i cycle 1ad for 3 weeks. Also phopotydial serine before workout and methoxy after.

clarification

that was 250 pounds bench press not 250 sets

3 sets 8 reps 4 different chest movments

LOL

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Re: nightsweats / personal details

i am in good health, although i haven't had a checkup in a long long time.
    Why not? You can afford those supplements, so you can afford a complete physical exam. Remember, the purpose of the exam isn't to fix an injury; they compare the results (BP, blood chemistry, chest x-ray, ECG, PSA, etc.) to your previous test results, in order to try and catch developing problems early, before they become much more serious.

Why don't people get regular physical exams? It's usually not financial. Not wanting the hear the doc tell them that they should lose fat, stop smoking, start exercising, eat better, and a host of other things they'd rather not hear (but know to be true, regardless). Maybe they really don't want to know the results of all those tests, because if something is amiss (blood sugar, for example), but if they don't know about it, it might not hurt them (the logic of that "thinking" baffles me to no end).

I'm not writing this to rag on you, but just to prompt you to consider scheduling that exam with the doc. It might extend, or even save, your life.

don't run to doctor everytime i sweat : geesh!

Sorry, I don't run to see a doctor everytime i break a sweat : geesh!

Well you do seem to have a lot more faith in modern Western medicene than I do.

What they don't know could fill up the internet times 10 to the 10th power.

There is an old saying about lawyers that could very well apply to doctors:

"I work with 20 lawyers, my son is a lawyer my wife is a lawyer, and I am telling you AVOID LAWYERS!"

Anyway I thought we were talking about excersize related night sweats.

Also it is easy for you to tell someone else how to prioritize their medical appointments and exams when you aren't sitting in their shoes running corporations, etc.

But to answer your question my job is a hectic one, and i moved to Hawaii 3 1/2 years ago to detox from work. I was literally working myself to death for 15 years, sleeping at work for 5 or six days in a row for months on end to meet deadlines. etc.

I still have to fly back and forth to LA, and since only 50,000 people live on the Big island of Hawaii, as a rule i prefer to get medical care when nessesary from a wider physican demographic area like in LA.

Whenever I am back in "the world" everyone that ever knew me is pretty shocked at the "Before Hawaii" vs. "After Hawaii" me. I am in so much better shape

Weightlifting and building muscle, swimming,surfing, cycling were all things I never really had time for in LA.

But if you have any experience or comments with excersize related on night sweats, i will gladly entertain them.

OK, if you don't want to have a physical, then don't.

The first hit on Google for "sleep hyperhidrosis":

http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/sweats.html

MisterT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterT will become famous soon enough. (+50) MisterT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would go to a doctor. I had night sweats one time, but not as bad as you and found out that it is one of the side affects of TB (tuberculosis). I had a PPD test done and it turned out negative. I also had blood work done as it is also a side affect of HIV. I work in a hospital, so in a way the TB thing was scary. I knew I didn't have HIV, but as reassurance, I had blood work done and it was negative. Come to find out, it was a side affect of some medication I was taking. I lowered the dosage and the hot flashes went away.

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Re: nightsweats / personal details

I do take a BIG protein drink before bed so my metabolism does have to deal with that.
    THis may be contributing (along with other factors) to your night sweats.

Try either cutting this shake out and replacing it with say...........cottage cheese. Or, if you are using whey, it is digested extreamly fast. I would add some flax oil to it to slow absorbtion.

-- Chi

-relative humidity

I was wondering if it might be just a "hawaii" thing. relative humidity related.

Whenever i go back to LA the air definately feels "dry".

I think i will pass on the western medicene treatment "sometimes treated by operating to remove the sweat glands"

Re: -relative humidity

I think i will pass on the western medicene treatment "sometimes treated by operating to remove the sweat glands"
    Make sure you also pass on the western medicine treatments of MRI scans, the ECG, and other such reputedly useless devices. Be sure that you never visit a doctor again, especially if you need something like trauma surgery, because the right herbal tea and acupuncture treatment might fix you right up.

DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I prefer not to wear sweats at night?

Turn on a fan go jump in the ocean and go back to sleep..

If your not interested in betting it checked out not sure what can be done that stuff can get or lead to a more serious issue.

your sarcasm is noted

Your sarcasm is noted.

Obviously if you read my second post here i did see a doctor about a rash because I got a prescription for a catabolic steriod cream to treat it.

MRI scans, yeah they sell those to "patients" who really don't need them. I have heard the TV and radio spots promoting them back in LA. They should be called MRI SCAMS.

However if you wish to start a new thread about how the western medical system is so great and they know everything and how HMO's don't treat people like a cattle herd going through a chute, go right ahead.

HONESTLY, I really just want to talk about night sweats exercise related issues.

Actually it isn't taht bad for me and i never gave it a second thought til I read about it in M&F mag.

Maybe since I wake up with minor sweats and a very hard erection, I just need to go out an get laid more often. I sure would like to see a doctor prescribe sex and Blue cross or Kaiser being forced to pay for it.

thyroid

M & F mag's article (June 2004) stated it is believed to be the thyroid gland readjusting for earlier exercize.

Originally posted by DanMc
    ... that stuff can get or lead to a more serious issue.
    And, even more importantly, it can be symptomatic of something far more serious.

Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sam_I_Am is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That's a case of the ole sweat cloud catching up to you after your workout.

I find that setting the AC a little cooler during the night works great. I have one of the programmable thermostats for my system, and I set it too kick down to 68 degrees at about 2:00AM. Experiment with the timing, but I found that the house cooled off late at night on its own, and the AC did not kick on during the late night hours. For me, 73 degrees would be way too hot, even with a fan or two. Set the fan on your AC system to ON, not just AUTO. That way, the fan on the air handler will always be circulating air, even when the compressor is off cycle. To properly remove humidity, the system does need to be sized so that it does not short cycle. The compressor needs to be on for a fair amount of time to remove humidity. Many systems are oversized, cool the air nice and fast, but don't do a good job on the humidity removal.

I run hot most of the time, and that is what works for me.

I also second Chi's advice, try to slow down the night time digestion with cottage cheese or healthy fats.

No AC

Well like most homes on the Big Island of Hawaii, i got no AC. Electericity here costs double the mainland.Got a great view of the ocean and coast though.

I need to clean my portable fan and set it up again, which means taking it apart and putting it together again.

I think inbetween the humidity here in Hawaii, thyroid adjusting to very intense excersize, no Airconditioning at the Kona, Hawaii Gold's gym main weight lifting room,
    and a high protein diet (200-300grams), no AC at my house, I shouldn't be suprised at minor night sweats.

It is definately less of a problem if I don't exercise, but if anyone has any other dietary solutions, let me know.

Meanwhile i will spend my next OFF day cleaning of my "windtunnel fan".

note: i eagarly await Miloman's sarcastic prod to see a doctor everytime i break a sweat.

Kona gold's gym / humidity

By the way, I had mentioned that Kona,Hawaii gold's gym has no A/C. Since it is very humid and hot in there, it is basically like weight lifting inside a sauna. Literally.

After spending a week in LA and working out out the Thousand Oaks Gold's where it is bone dry and there is an A/C return over almost every machine, when i got back to Kona gold's I practically collapsed from dehydration and re-adjusting to the humidity after lifting inside of 60 minutes.

So I deduce that environmental conditions may be having an impact on the night sweats i experienced.

But I only wanted to tone Viking22's Avatar
    Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Do you hold onto a pillow when you sleep?
    Green: It's the new Red

Let's just pray we're still allowed to vote in 2012.

Bamboo

no to the pillow question, but some sometimes my arms hang up over the head board of my bamboo bedframe, which is really a cool type of bedframe.

bump

bump