dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help fellas! Bench shirt woes.......

Tonight was my 2nd time using my Rage shirt. The first session I did all board presses, working down to a 2 board press at 375.

Here was today's workout..

135 x 10 (Raw)
    225 x 8 (Raw)
    275 x 3 (Raw)
    Suited up......
    315 x 3 (3 Board)
    375 x 1 (2 Board)
    375-To the stomach...FAIL

It was hard as hell to get the thing to touch on the final lift. By the time it did touch, I was completely gassed......

What changes would you guys make next time and also, how many sessions does it typically take to get "used" to a bench shirt??
    6'2
    Current weight 197 at 16-17% bodyfat
    34 years old
    Lifting for 4 years

Ultimate personal goals:

225 lbs at 12% bodyfat
    Bench-450 (Hit 370 Shirted in April 2007)(350 raw in March 2007)
    Deadlift-500 (Achieved 535!!!!!!, April 2007)
    Squat-450 (Hit 425, April 2007)

fstrthnu is not very well liked. (-100) fstrthnu is not very well liked. (-100) fstrthnu is not very well liked. (-100) fstrthnu is not very well liked. (-100) fstrthnu is not very well liked. (-100) fstrthnu is not very well liked. (-100) fstrthnu is not very well liked. (-100) fstrthnu is not very well liked. (-100) fstrthnu is not very well liked. (-100) fstrthnu is not very well liked. (-100) fstrthnu is not very well liked. (-100)
    If you're feeling completely 'gassed' by the time you touch, you prolly need to work on your GPP. That or pull/lower the bar alot faster! Any vids?

Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by dnewbie View Post
    Tonight was my 2nd time using my Rage shirt. The first session I did all board presses, working down to a 2 board press at 375.

Here was today's workout..

135 x 10 (Raw)
    225 x 8 (Raw)
    275 x 3 (Raw)
    Suited up......
    315 x 3 (3 Board)
    375 x 1 (2 Board)
    375-To the stomach...FAIL

It was hard as hell to get the thing to touch on the final lift. By the time it did touch, I was completely gassed......

What changes would you guys make next time and also, how many sessions does it typically take to get "used" to a bench shirt??
    My opinion is to throw the boards out. Just bring the bar down until it stops then explode it back to the top. Use a weight you can handle for 3 reps then keep moving up in weight. You wont be touching for awhile especially if you got a really tight shirt. First you must train your body for the heavier loads it must become accustomed to. Do not worry about touching yet.
    "Powerlifters put it deeper in the hole."
    "Screw genetics, I'll decide my own potential!"
    Kansas Powerlifters keep in touch here! "http://www.kspowerlifting.proboards104.com/"

dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mateo_66 View Post
    My opinion is to throw the boards out. Just bring the bar down until it stops then explode it back to the top. Use a weight you can handle for 3 reps then keep moving up in weight. You wont be touching for awhile especially if you got a really tight shirt. First you must train your body for the heavier loads it must become accustomed to. Do not worry about touching yet.
    My issue is that I have my first meet in less than 2 weeks!! If next week's workout doesn't go better, I will have to bench raw at the meet.
    6'2
    34 years old
    Lifting for 4 years

Ultimate personal goals:

225 lbs at 12% bodyfat

Attention K-Mart shoppers Archangel_Lost's Avatar
    Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Look up metal militia's technique on benching. It makes it A LOT easier to touch lighter weights in a tight shirt. Start with your elbows flared as you descend, and as you're coming down about halfway, pull them in tight until you touch.. and when you start to ascend, keep your elbows at a sort of inbetween position from the previous two, and keep them like that until the lift is finished.
    Lifts:
    Squat: 460x1
    Bench: 400x1
    Deadlift: 575x1
    OHP: 250x2
    Weight: 180 lbs.

Don't have heroes; look up to no one. Because as long as someone's leading the way, the best you'll ever be is second.

Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'd cut back the warmups a lot. For example today I did 435 for 2 singles as my full range work set. My warmups were bar x 20, 95x10 135x5 185x3 225x3, put shirt on and did 315x2, 385x1, 435 for 2 singles. If you felt gassed, it was probably from doing 225x8 and 275x3.

I disagree with Mateo about the boards, I think they are a valuable tool in learning the shirt. What you did with them looks good, but once you put the shirt on, work singles with the boards. I really think your warmups are where you need to adjust. Use the super light weights to get loose and get the blood flowing, then the progressively heavier singles to get used to feeling the weight.

You have 2 more sessions really- one heavy session next week, then a session to do your opener. It'll be tough but you should be able to use next week to find out where you are with opener and possibly 2nd attempt weight, then use the following week to perfect your opener.

Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    I'd cut back the warmups a lot. For example today I did 435 for 2 singles as my full range work set. My warmups were bar x 20, 95x10 135x5 185x3 225x3, put shirt on and did 315x2, 385x1, 435 for 2 singles. If you felt gassed, it was probably from doing 225x8 and 275x3.

I disagree with Mateo about the boards, I think they are a valuable tool in learning the shirt. What you did with them looks good, but once you put the shirt on, work singles with the boards. I really think your warmups are where you need to adjust. Use the super light weights to get loose and get the blood flowing, then the progressively heavier singles to get used to feeling the weight.

You have 2 more sessions really- one heavy session next week, then a session to do your opener. It'll be tough but you should be able to use next week to find out where you are with opener and possibly 2nd attempt weight, then use the following week to perfect your opener.

Thanks for the feedback, Animal. I will post again after next week's session. Thanks.
    6'2
    34 years old
    Lifting for 4 years

Ultimate personal goals:

225 lbs at 12% bodyfat

LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10) LockOut is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have had the same problem in the past..two weeks out is to close to the meet to learn to use the shirt...when I first got my new rage x it took 530lb to touch...here's what worked for me..I can now touch 405lb.

warm up the put the shirt on..I bench over 500 and used 400 for this..so you might use 300 or so..one rep bring it as low as you can..really try to pull it down and expand your chest. then go on with your regular board work ect.

each work out do this..just need one try, because it is so tiring fightinmg to get it down. after about 5 weeks I could just about touch 400 so when I went up to 480 or so it was no problem touching...I used to change shirts after my opener, but now I dont have to...

It takes awhile, but that is an extreme shirt..the new rage shirts are very heavy and it take a lot of practice...You need to learn to relax enough to let the weight down..while keeping your shoulder blades pinches and stay in your arch.

Mike Womack can touch 315 in the sane shirt he benched almost 900 in..
    "Freedom isn't free" How quickly we forget.