bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Pullovers w/EZ Bar made my shoulder pop out of joint

I attempted Pullovers for the first time today w/ an EZ Curl Bar and something weird happened in my shoulder at the lowest eccentric phase of the movement. I felt this pop in my shoulder, almost like the muscle was bunching up, and then it popped back. After it happened a 2nd time I switched to a dumbbell pullovers w/no problems. I'm pretty sure it was the shoulder popping out of its' socket! Where it happened still feels a little tender now, but nothing major. Anyone ever heard of this? Was my shoulder dislocating?
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166936131

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bango skank View Post
    I attempted Pullovers for the first time today w/ an EZ Curl Bar and something weird happened in my shoulder at the lowest eccentric phase of the movement. I felt this pop in my shoulder, almost like the muscle was bunching up, and then it popped back. After it happened a 2nd time I switched to a dumbbell pullovers w/no problems. I'm pretty sure it was the shoulder popping out of its' socket! Where it happened still feels a little tender now, but nothing major. Anyone ever heard of this? Was my shoulder dislocating?
    Don't go too low during the movement if this is the case.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How far down did your upper arms go? Past parallel with the floor?

dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you'd know it if you dislocated...more than likely a subluxation which is a partial or incomplete dislocation. You more than likely may have some GH instability. Do you have any other problems with other excercises? May want to be careful with the overhead lifts and try some rotator cuff strengthening to help stabilize

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Weak rotator cuff?

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    my legs are a touch sore, i think i may of broken them

Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I had this exact same thing happen with the same exercise just before my year lay off with a shoulder injury...yeah the one that popped out. There was no pain when it happened or even for a week or so afterwards. I believe it was a subluxation of the AC joint that caused the pop out - pop in feeling, and then due to this and my continuing to workout, a nice case of DCO (cartilage end of the clavicle that articulates with the acromion gets worn away and bone on bone causes bone to be worn away too) developed.

My advice, take some time off and let any trauma you caused heal before you back into it, and when you do, go slow at first. Personally, I would avoid pull-overs altogether, but it's your body.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter

-Winston Churchill

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by papi93 View Post
    How far down did your upper arms go? Past parallel with the floor?
    I may have gone a little below parallel, yeah.

you'd know it if you dislocated...more than likely a subluxation which is a partial or incomplete dislocation. You more than likely may have some GH instability. Do you have any other problems with other excercises? May want to be careful with the overhead lifts and try some rotator cuff strengthening to help stabilize
    With parallel bar dips I get some discomfort in the opposite shoulder, but it's a totally different part of the shoulder and stretching beforehand usually clears that up. What does GH instability mean? Which exercises will strengthen my rotator cuff?

I had this exact same thing happen with the same exercise just before my year lay off with a shoulder injury...yeah the one that popped out. There was no pain when it happened or even for a week or so afterwards. I believe it was a subluxation of the AC joint that caused the pop out - pop in feeling, and then due to this and my continuing to workout, a nice case of DCO (cartilage end of the clavicle that articulates with the acromion gets worn away and bone on bone causes bone to be worn away too) developed.

My advice, take some time off and let any trauma you caused heal before you back into it, and when you do, go slow at first. Personally, I would avoid pull-overs altogether, but it's your body.
    So even though there is no pain now (or then), I still may have caused some damage from the cartilage being worn away? How long do you think it would take to completely heal? How long was it for you before you noticed any pain? Can you tell me a little more about your shoulder injury?

my legs are a touch sore, i think i may of broken them
    c'mon, gimme a lil more credit than that! try reading the posts you're making fun of and maybe your jokes would be more appropriate.

One other things that bears mentioning is when my shoulder popped out all the strength in that arm went out until it popped back into place (it was popped out for less than a second).

Thanks guys, I'm going to reserach the suggestions that you made. Sounds like going to parallel and using dumbbells instead will make a difference too. Today and tomorrow are rest days, so hopefully if there is any damage it will get a better chance to recover... but like I said, there's been no pain. I'll pass on the pullovers next week too.

If there's any medical info links anyone could point me toward that would be a real help.
    Last edited by bango skank; 03-25-2007 at 05:53 PM.
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

rogan181 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rogan181 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rogan181 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rogan181 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rogan181 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rogan181 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rogan181 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rogan181 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rogan181 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rogan181 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rogan181 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    this has happened to me before as well, bnto whiel doign that excersize but my shoulder will feel liek tis stuck almsot then itll pop into place again...i dont really worry abotu it jsut rtry to stretch it out better before workign it

Originally Posted by http://www.dynomed.com/encyclopedia/encyclopedia/shoulder/Glenohumeral_Instability.html
    What is Glenohumeral Instability?
    After being treated for an initial dislocation of your shoulder, you may find that it feels like it?s about to dislocate periodically. This feeling of giving-way is called glenohumeral instability or subluxation.

Glenohumeral instability refers to a condition in which the humeral head in the shoulder repeatedly slips out of the joint, or seems to nearly slip out.

The shoulder blade and humerus, or upper arm, form the glenohumeral joint. This is what you would normally think of as your ?shoulder joint?. The glenohumeral joint is a ball-and-socket joint, consisting of the head of the humerus, or upper arm, and the glenoid fossa, which is formed by a slightly hollowed portion of the end of the shoulder blade. The head of the humerus maintains very little contact with the glenoid itself during movement, however. Instead, the shoulder relies on a group of ligaments, muscles and tendons to help keep the humerus in the proper place, and to provide stability to the joint.

As the arm moves in any direction, these ligaments and muscles maintain the proper position of the humeral head in the socket. During forceful motion or injury, however, these tissues can be stretched or torn, and the head can ?slip out? of the socket, or dislocate. Your doctor may also use the term ?subluxate?, meaning that it has only partially dislocated.

Dislocations are most commonly anterior, meaning that the head of the humerus slips forward out of the joint. An injury where the arm is turned outwards and away from the body, such as a fall sideways on the arm, can cause an anterior dislocation. Very occasionally a dislocation can be posterior, where the humeral head slips backwards out of the joint. This usually occurs from a different type of injury, in which the arm is struck while is rotated inwards.
    This here sounds a lot like what happened.
    -Don Vito Corleone

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The glenohumeral joint is supported entirely by the four muscles of the rotator cuff. Strengthen your rotator cuff. Here's a thread with more information:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So even though there is no pain now (or then), I still may have caused some damage from the cartilage being worn away? How long do you think it would take to completely heal? How long was it for you before you noticed any pain? Can you tell me a little more about your shoulder injury?
    I would give your shoulder like a week or two....just to be on the safe side. I'm no doctor, and I'm not saying you have to; but that's what I would do.

I think it was about a week or so after that. It was during weighted dips. As I came down into the dip it felt like that joint, the AC joint, was slightly coming apart. It felt like it was about to fully pop out like. I could feel pain that felt like bone on bone, you know.

During the pull overs it was just like you described it. It felt like the humerus kept popping in and out of the glenoid cavity, but there was no real pain. I was going way past parallel with an EZ bar though. And my dip form was little iffy anyways. I reckon the popping in and out during pull overs weakened it, then dipping with weight and bad form tipped it over the edge.

DCO can be caused by constant wearing away of the cartilage between the clavicle and the acromion (the link below has a nice labeled diagram) from exercises like bench, OH press. It can also be caused by sbluxation of that join. There's another dude, Nainoa, who dropped a bar bell on himself and caused a separation of that joint. He went to a doc that told him to go back to lifting (pretty much what happened), and lifting while this was trying to heal caused the osteolysis (bone being worn away) of the AC joint. He's had MRI's, steroid injections in the joint etc. since, and was fully diagnosed with this disorder. If you search for posts under his name and put 'distal clavicular osteolysis' in the topic bit, you should find loads of info on it, plus he has a list of was to diagnose a disorder with that joint.

As for you, it sounds fine. I would just advise you to take a week or two break just incase you did separate anything to let it all heal. Also, use super strict form on all shoulder involved exercises. You should be fine dude.

If there's any medical info links anyone could point me toward that would be a real help.
    http://shoulderpaininfo.com/shoulderACOsteolysis.html

I'm no doctor, and I'm not trying to diagnose you. It's just when I read your post, it rang a bell in my head, so I thought I'd share that info with you maybe help you prevent injuring yourself. Sounds alright though, just keep and eye on it.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter

-Winston Churchill

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    The glenohumeral joint is supported entirely by the four muscles of the rotator cuff. Strengthen your rotator cuff. Here's a thread with more information:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968
    Yes

-Winston Churchill

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    c'mon, gimme a lil more credit than that! try reading the posts you're making fun of and maybe your jokes would be more appropriate.
    i guess you guys don't realize that NO ONE is big down here unless if they are fat. it's a bunch of skinny or fat guys. im not shallow, immature, or gay. i like the feel of being stronger, bigger, and more attractive than average people. tell me this isn't bodybuilding all about the visual aspect of your body?? you guys want to be douches and hate on me cause im 196 (havn't updated this yet) 6'2'' and im 18. you must not realize that im the biggest i have been on my whole life, i break pr everday at the gym, and im bigger than an average guy and it makes me feel really good. i was always skinny with about 15-20%bf and i used to get picked on for being small and dorky looking. i used to think benching 225 was alot but i do it as a 1st set now in my WOs. i may have sent th wrong message in my origanal post on this thread but hey it's how i feel. when i walk through the mall and some 18 year old thug looks away from me as aposed to staring me down and bumping me as in my past, it makes me feel ****ing good. so stop hating because im not 290lbs. for my age im in a good spot and im happy about it and you asses cant take that away from me with some jerk off replies.

Originally Posted by SDFlip View Post
    i guess you guys don't realize that NO ONE is big down here unless if they are fat. it's a bunch of skinny or fat guys. im not shallow, immature, or gay. i like the feel of being stronger, bigger, and more attractive than average people. tell me this isn't bodybuilding all about the visual aspect of your body?? you guys want to be douches and hate on me cause im 196 (havn't updated this yet) 6'2'' and im 18. you must not realize that im the biggest i have been on my whole life, i break pr everday at the gym, and im bigger than an average guy and it makes me feel really good. i was always skinny with about 15-20%bf and i used to get picked on for being small and dorky looking. i used to think benching 225 was alot but i do it as a 1st set now in my WOs. i may have sent th wrong message in my origanal post on this thread but hey it's how i feel. when i walk through the mall and some 18 year old thug looks away from me as aposed to staring me down and bumping me as in my past, it makes me feel ****ing good. so stop hating because im not 290lbs. for my age im in a good spot and im happy about it and you asses cant take that away from me with some jerk off replies.

Originally Posted by SDFlip View Post
    i guess we both have chips on our shoulders?
    -Don Vito Corleone

cjwestbury is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Same here

The same thing happens to me with the same scenario. I think it's a case of terrible shoulder joints so just don't risk it and learn to go just before itll click (for me this is just before in line with my body on the bench)

Edit: what also helps for my is to keep my shoulders in the most supported position (I lay as far forward as I can so that way I can nearly fit all of my shoulders on the bench), also try and keep them tense too
    Last edited by cjwestbury; 09-22-2017 at 04:52 AM. Reason: More info

Flashback: my shoulder just got worse and worse until
    I needed to have my labrum repaired.
    -Don Vito Corleone