wooderson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wooderson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wooderson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wooderson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wooderson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wooderson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

diet to prevent diabetes

My dad was just informed that he is on the verge of develping type 2 diabetes. He is in his fifties, 5'8 and 200 pounds. I'd like to help him set up a diet, but all of my knowledge comes from the bodybuilding perspective.

I've already given him a list of 'clean foods,' and things that have a low glycemic index. I was wondering if anyone could give me a macro breakdown of what his diet should be. I would appromimate he should be getting 2000 calories a day, or slightly less. Bear in mind, he does not lift weights, but does do light cardio, walking on a treadmill 6 days a week.

I've basically told him that the carbs must go. However, that means he will have to get more protein and fats to make up the lack of carbs. I'm leary about telling him to get 300 g's of protein, or any huge number like that. Would that be bad for a fifty-two year old man who does not lift?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a macro breakdown of a safe and effective diet for him.

Thanks

robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by wooderson View Post
    My dad was just informed that he is on the verge of develping type 2 diabetes. He is in his fifties, 5'8 and 200 pounds. I'd like to help him set up a diet, but all of my knowledge comes from the bodybuilding perspective.

I've already given him a list of 'clean foods,' and things that have a low glycemic index. I was wondering if anyone could give me a macro breakdown of what his diet should be. I would appromimate he should be getting 2000 calories a day, or slightly less. Bear in mind, he does not lift weights, but does do light cardio, walking on a treadmill 6 days a week.

I've basically told him that the carbs must go. However, that means he will have to get more protein and fats to make up the lack of carbs. I'm leary about telling him to get 300 g's of protein, or any huge number like that. Would that be bad for a fifty-two year old man who does not lift?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a macro breakdown of a safe and effective diet for him.

Thanks
    see how he feels about doing a ketogenic diet.
    "If you have the desire or ability to talk between sets then you aren't working out." - Mike Mentzer

IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Get him the Dr. Atkins book.
    They couldn't go back to the Greasers
    All they could do was pick up the pieces
    Surely Brenda and Eddie would always find a way to survive

Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flex Appeal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Remember though, physical activity and exercise are important therapeutic modalities for patients with, or at risk for, diabetes also.

Getting him to develop a physically active lifestyle will bring about better glycemic control because of improved glucose disposal and insulin sensitivity, which leads to reduced hyperinsulinemia, and a lowered need for medication.
    Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage.- Ray Bradbury

wooderson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wooderson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wooderson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wooderson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wooderson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wooderson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Right now he is walking on a treadmill. He has heart disease, so I am worried about having him lifting weights or doing anything too intense.

As far as Atkins goes, I don't feel like that a good long term solution.

Do you think just moderating them would be good enough...like 100 g's a day? I don't know what a good number is for his situation. Well actually, zero is probably a good number, but probably not realistic.

robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbytjohn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Right now he is walking on a treadmill. He has heart disease, so I am worried about having him lifting weights or doing anything too intense.

Do you think just moderating them would be good enough...like 100 g's a day? I don't know what a good number is for his situation. Well actually, zero is probably a good number, but probably not realistic.

the ketogenic diet (65/30/5) is perfectly fine long term , it has been proven time and time again. you dont think cavemen ate bread/oatmeal/and processed carbs do ya
    hell - we're in ketosis the 1st 6months we're alive and thats the most important time for the proper nutrients.
    "If you have the desire or ability to talk between sets then you aren't working out." - Mike Mentzer

alright, and you think 2000 calories a day is about right for weight loss?

Robby,
    65/30/5.....that is protein/fats/carbs right?

325 g's of protein
    60 g's of fat
    25 g's of carbs

.....if I've done the math right

NJfishinGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NJfishinGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NJfishinGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NJfishinGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NJfishinGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NJfishinGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    my father is in a similar situation, his diabetes is just diet regulated no meds. problem is he has CFS and is constantly in pain and cant do much if any exercise except when our pool is open in the summer and he can swim. hes 6'2" and probably 280lbs i wanna help him loose weight but i dunno how to help someone who cant exersize

eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by robbytjohn View Post
    the ketogenic diet (65/30/5) is perfectly fine long term , it has been proven time and time again. you dont think cavemen ate bread/oatmeal/and processed carbs do ya
    hell - we're in ketosis the 1st 6months we're alive and thats the most important time for the proper nutrients.
    alright, and you think 2000 calories a day is about right for weight loss?

Robby,
    65/30/5.....that is protein/fats/carbs right?

325 g's of protein
    60 g's of fat
    25 g's of carbs

.....if I've done the math right
    Nope, try again.
    The diet is essentially comprised of 88% fat,10% protein, and 2% carbohydrates.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

I like robby's diet better.

Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I like robby's diet better.
    I think you're missing the point

His 65 is the fat ratio, 30 is the protein ratio, and 5 is the carb ratio.

so @ 2000 calories:
    130 g's of fat
    150 g's of protein
    25 g's of carb

IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well it would be. If you really want to help you will get him the book. Maybe you have some misconceptions about the diet? Ask any questions you want about it and I will answer.
    They couldn't go back to the Greasers
    All they could do was pick up the pieces
    Surely Brenda and Eddie would always find a way to survive