Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Marius: New Hip Body Rebuild

I suffered from debilitating pain in my lower back and hip for two years before an orthopedic surgeon found that my left hip had no cartilage in it. All it took was an X-ray, so after all the physical therapy, SI rehab, and general limping around not being able to do much of anything other than upper body band work, I had my diagnosis. I was ready to get my hip replaced when Covid-19 hit. All non-essential surgery in New York was halted until early last year, and I had a new place in line with my surgery scheduled for July.

Then my mother-in-law developed terminal cancer, and she was dying the same week my surgery was scheduled. With my wife out of the picture because she was taking care of her mom, I didn't have the "someone to help you after surgery," so the operation was postponed again. I finally went under the knife last September. I was up and walking around 12 hours later. I wanted to walk on my own, but they made me use a walker. I spent 24 hours in the hospital and was cleared to come home, spent four weeks in PT twice per week, and really I think I only needed one week of it. The therapist told me he'd never seen anyone recover from hip surgery so fast, told me it was 100% because I've been lifting weights for 25 years.

The surgeon made me wait until February to start lifting again, but I was allowed to do body weight exercises starting in December, so I spent a couple of months doing lots of push ups, planks, body weight squats, and glute bridges. It was too cold to lift in the garage when I was cleared for it, so I brought my kettlebells into the house and started training with them. It finally got warm enough a couple weeks ago to start lifting sporadically in the garage, and last week it was warm enough (mid 40s) for me to feel okay lifting in there every day. Then my youngest son told me he wanted to start training with me.

We've been lifting with each other for a week now, and he's very good at following instructions and corrects his form when coached. We're following Christian Thibideau's plan where you lift at a lower volume more frequently. it supposedly maximizes protein synthesis for natural lifters. I don't how it's working by comparison to higher volume lifting, but I'm really enjoying the shorter amount of training time while lifting six days per week.

The general plan is push one day, pull the next. You do one lower body push (squat variation), one upper body push (press variation), and one push accessory (triceps exercise). Each exercise is done between 30 and 40 total reps, 60 total reps if you're going light. The next day is one lower body pull (deadlift, power clean, snatch, etc.), one upper body pull (pull down, BOR, DB row, etc), and one pull accessory (biceps exercise).

I don't feel like typing out what we've done so far, but I'll start recording from today going forward after today's session.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law.

Glad to hear your surgery and recovery went well! Great job getting back to training!!!
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hey Primo.

Good to see you here, bro.
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by HomeGymChains View Post
    Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law.

Glad to hear your surgery and recovery went well! Great job getting back to training!!!
    Thanks. I think the best part is having my boy out there with me.

Originally Posted by NorwichGrad View Post
    Hey Primo.

Good to see you here, bro.
    Hey, you old Flip bastard! I love seeing you whether it's here, on ********, or when I'm stalking ur gainz.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Wednesday 3/23/2022

Squat
    1x5@115 - Left side is still significantly weaker than right. Could only get five reps.
    2x10@105

DB Bench Press
    3x10@35

Triceps Rope Pushdown
    2x10@30
    1x10@25

Farmer Walk
    66 yards@45 pounds per hand

Slow, light run
    Four laps around the driveway (100'x25')

Hardstyle Planks

Also, taxation is theft.

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    Thanks. I think the best part is having my boy out there with me.

Hey, you old Flip bastard! I love seeing you whether it's here, on ********, or when I'm stalking ur gainz.
    LOL.

I only come here for the entertainment.

I usually pull the pin, toss the grenade, then leave, as I watch members argue with each other. I'm surprised I have not been banned yet the way I get constantly banned on FB.
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

I downloaded an app called "Lose It!" for my phone. It's a great tool for keeping track of calories and macros. I've tried them in the past with little success because there were just too many foods that I couldn't find and ended up having to guess which was what I was doing all along anyway. With this app, I can actually enter foods that they don't have in their DB and share them with the user community, and other users do the same thing. The only issue with that is sometimes the data entry is sloppy, and they don't have the carbs, fat, and protein content entered...but that's usually easy to look up and edit.

I also took out my kitchen scale that I've used exclusively for baking for the last 15 years and have it on the counter top all the time now to weight portions when servings are in ounces instead of units.

So far I've dropped six pounds since I started using it. I'm shooting for 150 grams of protein daily and my daily calorie target is 2024. Most days I eat around 1900 calories.

Micellar Casein has become my new best friend. LOL

Also, taxation is theft.

Thursday 3/24/2022

Deadlift
    1x1@175
    1x5@165
    2x5@155
    1x1@155 + 10 second hold

Chest Supported DB Row
    2x10@20
    1x15@20 (time to up the weight)

DB Concentration Curl
    1x10@20
    1x10@15
    1x12@15

KB Swing
    1x15@32 kg

4 laps around the driveway
    Last edited by Marius_Ursus; 03-24-2022 at 08:46 PM.

Also, taxation is theft.

My lumbar spine is killing me. Spondo is really killing me. I'm going to try going lighter on the deadlifts next time.

Also, taxation is theft.

Coming back after such a long layoff has me feeling like I can't recover very well. Adaptation is a suck. I know with my calories being low for the weight loss goal, that isn't helping. Today I made the decision that Jake and I would take the day off from training, and I'm going to ignore my calorie count today and just eat lots of protein (and a little junk food), and tomorrow we'll hit push *and* pull on the same day, Starting Strength style.

Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift

No accessory work, just a solid 5x5 on each of those. That should be a tonic and restorative after the two weeks we've put in so far.

Also, taxation is theft.

Cold front moving in, abbreviated training today instead of 5x5.

Saturday 3/26/2022

Hang Power Clean
    3x5@75

Press
    3x5@75

Front Squat
    3x5@75

Romanian Deadlift
    3x5@75

I like this style of training for keeping it brief. There are no weight changes needed. I just put the pounds on the bar and leave it. The only change needed is the exercise I'm performing.

Also, taxation is theft.

We appear to be in winter's last hurrah with a cold snap that will last two days where it will barely get above 20 degrees. Jake and I trained in the house today, kettlebells and push ups, alternating sets of 10 push ups with 20 swings for three rounds. We got finished in 10 minutes.

I love days like this.

Also, taxation is theft.

Skipped Tuesday...feeling lousy

Wednesday 3/30/2022

Body weight squats
    3x10

Australian pull ups
    3x10

Also, taxation is theft.

Thursday, 3/31/2022

Hang Power Clean
    1x5@75

Deadlift
    1x5@155
    2x5@145

Barbell Bentover Row
    3x10@55

Hammer Curl
    2x10@20
    1x10@15

Loaded Carry
    2 rounds with 45 pounds in each hand

Kettlebell Swings
    1x10@32 kg

Also, taxation is theft.

Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice to see you back here! Subbed and looking forward to some great stuff.
    “This is worship: To serve mankind and to minister to the needs of the people.
    Service is prayer. A physician ministering to the sick, gently, tenderly,
    free from prejudice and believing in the solidarity of the human race,
    he is giving praise.”
    ~ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    Nice to see you back here! Subbed and looking forward to some great stuff.
    Thanks, Athena.

Also, taxation is theft.

Friday 4/1/2022

I'm the April Fool

Squat
    1x10@115
    2x10@105 - God, when will I get better at these? I used to squat 315. Ugh...

Dumbbell Flat Bench Press
    2x13(in honor of Freya, whose day this is)@35
    1x10@35

Dumbbell French Press
    2x10@20 (two hands on the 'bell)
    1x10@15 (a dumbbell in each hand)

Farmer Walk
    2@45/hand

Arms are quivering. LOL

Weight: 196.6 (-8 pounds so far)

Also, taxation is theft.

Saturday 4/2/2022

Pull

Straight-leg Deadlift
    1x8@135
    1x7@135
    1x12@135 - Time to add 10 pounds

Chest-supported Dumbbell Row
    2x10@25
    1x12@25 - I guess it's time to go up to 30

Concentration Curl
    2x10@20
    1x10@15 - Not time to add weight LOL

Also, taxation is theft.

Sunday, 4/4/2022

Abbz

Hardstyle planks
    2@10 seconds

Side planks
    1@30 seconds per side

Also, taxation is theft.

Monday 4/4/2022

Jog
    20 minutes@3 MPH

PUSH

Power cleans
    4x5@95
    1x5@85

Hang power cleans
    1x5@75
    1x5@65

God damn it! I said, "Push!"

Overhead press
    1x5@95
    1x8@85
    1x7@75
    1x10@65 - Today I learned to pay a-f*cking-tention to what day it is. I was supposed to do some type of squats, and instead my body just decided to rip through a whole mess of power cleans that made my pressing super weak with the trap exhaustion. I have to pay more attention to what I'm supposed to be doing.

Front box squat
    3x10@75 - Decided I'm going to go with nothing but front squats three times per week instead of back squats twice per week, so I can work on my form and stop using the bench to squat to. I need to get deeper, and there's still too much fear in going all the way down with this artificial hip. That's a ridiculous fear considering I have no problem goblet squatting. I guess I need to learn from the ground up all over again, so that's what I'll be doing with this exercise for foreseeable future.

Triceps rope pushdown
    3x10x30 - Time to add five pounds.

Also, taxation is theft.

Tuesday 4/5/2022

Intervals
    20 minutes, fasted

Breakfast
    2 eggs, microwaved
    1 scoop nutricost Micellar Casein in 12 oz. water

Deadlift
    1x3@155
    1x5@155
    1x3@155

Barbell BOR
    1x15@65
    1x10@65
    1x10@65

Hammer Curl
    1x10@20
    1x12@15
    1x10@15

Barbell Hip Thrust (upper back supported)
    2x10@65

Going grocery shopping now, will have 6 ounces of turkey breast and a slice of whole wheat bread with lettuce and mustard when I get back.

Top round braised in broth and wine, potatoes, and carrots for supper.

Nutricost Micellar Casein shake with 1/2 banana and 1/4 cup blackberries for dessert.

Also, taxation is theft.

Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Monday 4/4/2022

God damn it! I said, "Push!"

Today I learned to pay a-f*cking-tention to what day it is. I was supposed to do some type of squats, and instead my body just decided to rip through a whole mess of power cleans that made my pressing super weak with the trap exhaustion. I have to pay more attention to what I'm supposed to be doing.
    LMAO! Oh, I've had those days. Comes with the (aging) territory, I think.

Decided I'm going to go with nothing but front squats three times per week instead of back squats twice per week, so I can work on my form and stop using the bench to squat to. I need to get deeper, and there's still too much fear in going all the way down with this artificial hip. That's a ridiculous fear considering I have no problem goblet squatting. I guess I need to learn from the ground up all over again, so that's what I'll be doing with this exercise for foreseeable future.
    Hmm. What about a gradual reduction on the height of the back box squats? Also, are your feet wide enough apart on the back squats? I've seen a lot of people adjust their stance on exercises without realizing when recovering from surgery or injury. Just my unsolicited $.04 (inflation, you know).

Top round braised in broth and wine, potatoes, and carrots for supper.

Nutricost Micellar Casein shake with 1/2 banana and 1/4 cup blackberries for dessert.
    drool.
    he is giving praise.”
    ~ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

What's funny is that all squat variations are easy for me to get good depth except front squats. I keep asking myself if I really care that much. LOL

Also, taxation is theft.

Wednesday 4/7/2022

Squat
    Joint pain. Couldn't get one rep. Everything hurt in the hip, knees, shoulders...moved on to upper body

DB Bench
    1x10@40

KB Press
    1x5@24 kg
    1x12@16 kg

Also, taxation is theft.

Thursday 4/7/2022

Treadmill
    20 minutes of intervals

Changing my split until the weather gets a little warmer. Maybe that's why my joints are hurting so much. Maybe three times weekly with cardio every other day will help instead of lifting six days in a row.

Also, taxation is theft.

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thursday 4/7/2022

Treadmill
    20 minutes of intervals

Changing my split until the weather gets a little warmer. Maybe that's why my joints are hurting so much. Maybe three times weekly with cardio every other day will help instead of lifting six days in a row.
    Hi Marius...ease into it.

Hmmm I wonder if this micro-cycle would work, This is a system I pondered many times, and will probably gravitate to. As we get older I think we have to modify the systems that worked for us when we were say 35. We can't fixate on what worked in the past. Day 2 and Day 3 should not be anything crazy either, for example I dont run anymore, I row and walk now.

Day 1 Lift
    Day 2 Rest/Active Recovery
    Day 3 Cardio
    Day 4 Lift.....
    Rinse and repeat

So a "week"..a micro-cycle... would be in effect be like 9 days. Each lifting day would be full body. Thing is to recover enough so you can make the lifting Day count. In my brand of fitness its about the recovery.
    Please record my time/reps if I pass out

Originally Posted by Cantplankwell View Post

<snippage>

Each lifting day would be full body. Thing is to recover enough so you can make the lifting Day count. In my brand of fitness its about the recovery.
    Said so very well. (On spread )
    he is giving praise.”
    ~ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Originally Posted by Cantplankwell View Post

Hmmm I wonder if this micro-cycle would work, This is a system I pondered many times, and will probably gravitate to. As we get older I think we have to modify the systems that worked for us when we were say 35. We can't fixate on what worked in the past. Day 2 and Day 3 should not be anything crazy either, for example I dont run anymore, I row and walk now.

Day 1 Lift
    Day 2 Rest/Active Recovery
    Day 3 Cardio
    Day 4 Lift.....
    Rinse and repeat

So a "week"..a micro-cycle... would be in effect be like 9 days. Each lifting day would be full body. Thing is to recover enough so you can make the lifting Day count. In my brand of fitness its about the recovery.
    What you outlined is very close to what I have envisioned for my training. Funny enough, an article by Chritian Thibaudeau came up in my ******** feed this morning about modifying his six-days-per-week program when you're over 40. Well, at over 50, I can attest to the changes he outlined sounding quite sane. His idea is to train 3-4 times with resistance and the other days for active recovery, hiking, basketball...whatever. (I can't seem to find his birthdate, but he's over 40.)

I'm with you. The time to build is when you're resting. I plan on living another 70 years, so I'd like to do with with mobility and as little pain as possible. LOL

Also, taxation is theft.

Friday, 4/8/2022

Cold and rainy again, so training in the house where it's warm, and my joints don't feel like they're being pulled apart.

Kettlebell Clean and Press
    3x5@24 kg
    1x10@16 kg

Body-Weight Squat
    3x10

Got my push, pull, hinge, and squat all done in under 30 minutes. <3

Also, taxation is theft.

Monday, 4/11/2022

Hang Power Clean
    1x10@bar
    2x5@bar

Hang Power Clean to Front Squat
    1x5@bar
    2x8@bar

Hang Power Clean to Overhead Press
    3x10@bar

Also, taxation is theft.