gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

RDL Back Or Hamstrings

Hi currently doing the fierce 5 and have a question about the RDL where should I feel it work most?

For me personally I feel it a little in my glutes but mostly spinal erectors lower back.

I thought it could be my form so I asked a gym instructor to watch me, and he was pretty happy with my form straight tight arched back barbell just below my knees and back up.

Each week or so I have been progressing upwards with the weight and currently I'm at 90kg and now I'm kind of getting the fear because after the exercise my spinal erectors are on fire, I hope I'm right by naming those muscles because I think that is the ones working.

And when I say on fire I don't mean pain but it's like a strange feeling it's kind of like the back is pumped, but not like a bicep or tricep pump it's kind of scary like something's ready to explode and if I was to bend over at that given moment it feels like it would lol.

I tried to describe this the best I could lol, but as I said now I kind of have the fear I know the fierce 5 is progression overload, but if you keep adding weight to the RDL is there a point where it can become dangerous, and I know that applies to every exercise, but is it not primarily to work and stretch the hamstrings.

At least with a deadlift you are using leg drive and then all the back muscles, but with the RDL there comes a point where you kind of feel like your a bit exposed as you move up the weight, and something could give out in your back, this may just be me but I would be interested to know what other people think thanks.

For the record I'm not doing deadlifts, because it isn't in the program so I don't even know if I could deadlift 90kg from the floor, I done deadlifts now and again years ago but I can't remember how much I was lifting.

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I feel it in my hams and glutes mostly. It is very easy to mess up your form for RDL's. Essentially, your back shouldn't move. All of the movement should come from pushing the hips backward. A lot of people think they are doing RDL's when in actuality, they are just doing stiff-legged deadlifts.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    I feel it in my hams and glutes mostly. It is very easy to mess up your form for RDL's. Essentially, your back shouldn't move. All of the movement should come from pushing the hips backward. A lot of people think they are doing RDL's when in actuality, they are just doing stiff-legged deadlifts.
    This.^^

Something is off if you're feeling it in your lower back.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gibbsy08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    Hi as I said I got an instructor to watch my form but I will ask again, I know what your saying push the hips back and that's what I do, and keep the back rigid also what I do, and I always make sure not to travel too far past my knees then use the natural reflex motion at the end of the ROM then return to the start.

Can I ask what weight you lift when you're doing your RDLS, I'm around 11 1/2 stone is 90kg quite modest for my weight thanks.

Also I should mention I have a slight curvature of the spine could this effect form?
    Last edited by gibbsy08; 10-10-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    This.^^

Something is off if you're feeling it in your lower back.
    Hi mate I really try to keep my form on point, and that's why I asked my gym instructor to watch, so can you think of anything at all where I might be going wrong other than not keeping my back rigid.

I know you can't see how I perform the exercise, but maybe you had to make little tweeks to your form yourself, or did you have it on point from the start cheers.

kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by gibbsy08 View Post
    Hi mate I really try to keep my form on point, and that's why I asked my gym instructor to watch, so can you think of anything at all where I might be going wrong other than not keeping my back rigid.

I know you can't see how I perform the exercise, but maybe you had to make little tweeks to your form yourself, or did you have it on point from the start cheers.
    RDL's are a hard to lift to master so many people need to do little tweeks here and there.

Common mistakes:

Rounding shoulders
    Bending at the waist
    Bending too much at the knees
    Barbell too far from thighs
    Craning your neck forward

If you can take a video and post it here. There are plenty of members that would be happy to help you pinpoint a problem if there is one.

Keep at it and good luck!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    RDL's are a hard to lift to master so many people need to do little tweeks here and there.

Common mistakes:

Rounding shoulders
    Bending at the waist
    Bending too much at the knees
    Barbell too far from thighs
    Craning your neck forward

If you can take a video and post it here. There are plenty of members that would be happy to help you pinpoint a problem if there is one.

Keep at it and good luck!
    Hi thanks I would like to share this you tube link to get your thoughts cheers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gJRF0ckHV3w