phuphat123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question about volume and intensity and variation of lifts

Hey,

I've been confused on the concept of volume and intensity for a while now.

If the optimum rep range is 1-3 to build strength and one were to seek strength only, is it possible to just max out with one rep to get stronger? Like on the texas method or madcow, an intensity day is included but is that neccessary? I've been told that heavy volume days like a 5x5 are what build strength so if I were to perform intensity without a volume day, like triples, would i get stronger than doing a 5x5 with no intensity days at all?
    In this case, would doing a 8 sets of 3 lead to more gains in strength than doing a 5x5 since the total reps are almost identical but the weight is higher or would it be the same?

Also should reps and sets be manipulated? if a 5x5 was done every session, would it lead to less gains even when progressive overload is done?

Also, is variation of lifts neccessary? If one were to do high frequency flat bench 3 times a week with no variation such as shoulder press and incline, would the person get stronger? And can these variations be done heavy although already done heavy benching? For example doing a 5x5 heavy flat bench session on Monday and on Wednesday doing a heavy shoulder press session or heavy incline.

utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The best strength is built with reps of 3-6. 1-3 reps is more neural then building true strength.

8x3 doesn't mean anything with a load attached to it.. 8x3x60% with 45sec is totally different from 8x3x90 with 4-5m.
    Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176692881

I know what I have to do, and I’m going to do whatever it takes.
    If I do it, ill come out a winner, and it doesn’t matter what anyone else does.
    ~ Florence Griffith Joyner

Originally Posted by utfootball4 View Post
    The best strength is built with reps of 3-6. 1-3 reps is more neural then building true strength.

8x3 doesn't mean anything with a load attached to it.. 8x3x60% with 45sec is totally different from 8x3x90 with 4-5m.
    isn't strength a neural thing?

utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utfootball4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by phuphat123 View Post
    isn't strength a neural thing?
    3-6 build strength

1-3 helps you display your strength
    Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176692881

I know what I have to do, and I’m going to do whatever it takes.
    If I do it, ill come out a winner, and it doesn’t matter what anyone else does.
    ~ Florence Griffith Joyner

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Think of it like a vector. A vector has a direction and a magnitude. Intensity determines your direction and volume determines your magnitude. Doing 1-3 reps at high intensity gives you a good direction towards building strength, but it's harder to accumulate volume (magnitude). This is because you need to do more sets to make up for the lower reps and because the higher intensity is very fatiguing and your body can only handle so much. This is why it's beneficial to use a wider range of rep and intensity protocols so you can get the right amount of volume and intensity, plus added benefits of hypertrophy, technical proficiency, recovery, and more.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

How does one apply this to different accessories? and the deadlift