plumbis is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How to eat when travelling abroad?

Due to my job, I find myself traveling very often throughout the year (conferences, workshops, visits, courses abroad etc). It so happens I'm away for at least 3 months, + 1 month of vacation/christmas per year. I can consistently go to the gym and follow a proper diet for like 2-3 months, then I have 1 week interval, then I'm back for another 3 weeks, then away for 4 days, then back for 6 weeks, then away for 2 weeks, then back 1 month, away for 1 month.

I'm 26, 260 lbs and I want to lose fat. I've read all the stickies and I already nailed down my diet and exercise plan, but I find it very difficult to be consistent with it. Companies usually serve you very small dishes based on 40g of pasta or 30g of salmon filet, and then you have many dessert servings or lots of wine and alcohol. What am I supposed to do during these periods of the year?

I try to avoid all those sugary things like the plague and I usually end up on a 800-1000 kcal diet (according to myfitnesspal and overestimating everything just to be sure) because I have no idea what's inside those greasy cookies and I stay away from them. I'm surely loosing weight, but it's not only fat and I'm way below my protein macros. What do you suggest? Should I bring some protein dense magic sticks with me when I travel? I really set my mind to lose fat and become fit, but this way I'll just end up skinny fat.

Thanks

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Eating only 800-100 calories per a day is pretty stupid for starters; less than your BMR which is never good.

Learn the nutrition basics and that will allow you to simply eat whatever restaurants serve and fit them in to your daily needs.

NUTRITION

This is the largest factor in your success, learn the basics to get started and then move into more advanced if needed.

BASICS
    Spoiler!

Sources and More Information
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

Dude, I've already read the stickies and I know what I should be eating and what my macros are, but I stated it's impossible to hit my macros with what they serve.

70% of the food is carbs (mainly sugary), 25% is fat, 5% is protein. I don't know how many calories are in those greasy, glassy things, so I just stick to oats, eggs, ham or food I'm familiar with to estimate my daily intake, but it's not like there is an infinite amount of them. I can take 2-3 servings of meat/fish, but that's like 30g protein if I'm lucky.

I'm trying to lose fat, I don't want to risk going beyond 2000 kcal eating those hypercaloric foods in the coffee breaks and not knowing what awaits me later. I also would like to stick to my protein and fat macros but as I said, it is not possible. That's why I asked if I should bring food from home, some very protein dense stuff that is easy to put in the bag, because I don't know what to do.

That will be my diet for 1/4 of the year, so I have to sort it out somehow

rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In a word: eggs! At the sponsored meal, do your best: eat the sliver of protein, all the vegetables, and restrict yourself to a pile of processed carbs sized approximately to the size of a computer mouse. Be your own best judge in terms of the alcohol and desserts. After the meal, try to find a truck stop/convenience store. A lot of them have hard boiled eggs. From there, you can pick up a few eggs and boost your kcals and protein content.

gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by plumbis View Post
    Dude, I've already read the stickies and I know what I should be eating and what my macros are, but I stated it's impossible to hit my macros with what they serve.

70% of the food is carbs (mainly sugary), 25% is fat, 5% is protein. I don't know how many calories are in those greasy, glassy things, so I just stick to oats, eggs, ham or food I'm familiar with to estimate my daily intake, but it's not like there is an infinite amount of them. I can take 2-3 servings of meat/fish, but that's like 30g protein if I'm lucky.

I'm trying to lose fat, I don't want to risk going beyond 2000 kcal eating those hypercaloric foods in the coffee breaks and not knowing what awaits me later. I also would like to stick to my protein and fat macros but as I said, it is not possible. That's why I asked if I should bring food from home, some very protein dense stuff that is easy to put in the bag, because I don't know what to do.

McDonald's hamburger has good macros, as does the burgers from most places. So either you suck at reading nutrition information or are basing all of your 'knowledge' off of assumptions.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

2-3 servings of meat/fish will never be only 30g of protein. A "serving" is rarely less than 100g, and any meat source will have 20g+ of protein.

Your statements (800-1000cals, percentages you mention above) show very clearly that your understanding and knowledge of nutrition is very poor, so a good start would be educating yourself past the superficial. As a frequent traveler myself I can tell you that meeting your macros is quite easy and in fact provides me personally with a lot more variety than what I would normally prep.

Lastly, if it is solely protein you're worried about, it's hard to beat a whey shake for convenience.

TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rsipock View Post
    restrict yourself to a pile of processed carbs sized approximately to the size of a computer mouse.
    Still a better measuring system than the USA uses.
    Current PRs: (S/B/D) 145kg / 100kg / 180kg // 2018 goal PRs: 160kg / 110kg / 190kg

log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174500821

Fat fake natty mansloot of the FMH crew

TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Also, I don't care where the hell you are in the world, everywhere has oats, eggs and milk. Just use your brain. Take whey with you if you want. Pretty convenient for protein.
    Current PRs: (S/B/D) 145kg / 100kg / 180kg // 2018 goal PRs: 160kg / 110kg / 190kg

ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've read all the stickies...
    Great!
    I try to avoid all those sugary things like the plague
    ... go re-read the stickies.
    It's impossible to hit my macros with what they serve.
    Talk to the chef. Get past your social anxiety -- your fear of what people, your boss, your colleagues, company, etc. will think if you try to assert yourself.
    Tell him you're on a diet and need XYZ.
    Lie, if you have to. Say your nutritionist put you on this diet due to health issue.
    Last edited by ankmiike; 09-19-2017 at 02:23 AM.

Originally Posted by ankmiike View Post
    Great!

... go re-read the stickies.

Talk to the chef. Get past your social anxiety -- your fear of what people, your boss, your colleagues, company, etc. will think if you try to assert yourself.
    Tell him you're on a diet and need XYZ.
    Lie, if you have to. Say your nutritionist put you on this diet due to health issue.
    Or... just order a burger protein style, pretty much everywhere does that and he doesn't need to look like a douche.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Same way, insert in your mouth and then chew.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    One of the admins knows I watch my intake and try to get lots of protein. She has actually turned into an "ally" and will actually stop by and ask me if I've "had enough", etc.

Originally Posted by 3maj View Post
    2-3 servings of meat/fish will never be only 30g of protein. A "serving" is rarely less than 100g, and any meat source will have 20g+ of protein.

Your statements (800-1000cals, percentages you mention above) show very clearly that your understanding and knowledge of nutrition is very poor, so a good start would be educating yourself past the superficial. As a frequent traveler myself I can tell you that meeting your macros is quite easy and in fact provides me personally with a lot more variety than what I would normally prep.

Lastly, if it is solely protein you're worried about, it's hard to beat a whey shake for convenience.
    Sir, they literally serve me a cubic piece of salmon filet with measurements 1'' x 1'' x 1''. That or 3 round slices (approx 2 mm thick) of roasted beef (radius around 2'') with some radish or a spoon of rice. Unless they had the density of lead, I don't think that would ever amount to more than 50g. Tomorrow I'll take some photos, just so you get an understanding of how minuscle the servings are.

Also, the point of this topic is exactly to educate myself since I'm new at all this calorie counting, just in case you missed it. I know what to buy and how much to eat when I can read food labels, but I have a hard time counting them when away. I try to stay at around what I estimate to be 1000kcal knowing that I'm underestimating something (so I'm most likely still at 1500+ since I'm not completely starving). I saw there is an app that helps you estimate calories by taking a photo: do you know if that's reliable?

@gbullock32:
    The problem of these conferences is that most of the time you are stuck in the same place for 10-12h straight, with served lunch and buffout coffee break. It would be wonderful if the lunch was buffout as well, so that I could stuff myself with meat, but that doesn't happen often. I try to get the most of my macros at breakfast where I can eat eggs and ham, but beyond that it's unrealistic (and they don't bring us to Mcdonalds).

In some past events we were given more freedom, so that's absolutely viable and I'll take note of relying on them or boiled eggs like rsipock suggested when given the chance to. But really, most of the time we are trapped in a single building for hours, sometimes in forgotten places which are at least 30-60min walk far away from the urban area.

It would also be helpful if you had some sort of guide at calorie counting based on volumetric amounts. Things like "pile of processed carbs sized approximately to the size of a computer mouse" are already a good starting point for me, since they give me a general idea of how much is okayish.

Thanks

Sir, they literally serve me a cubic piece of salmon filet with measurements 1'' x 1'' x 1''. That or 3 round slices (approx 2 mm thick) of roasted beef (radius around 2'') with some radish or a spoon of rice. Unless they had the density of lead, I don't think that would ever amount to more than 50g. Tomorrow I'll take some photos, just so you get an understanding of how minuscle the servings are.

Also, the point of this topic is exactly to educate myself since I'm new at all this calorie counting, just in case you missed it. I know what to buy and how much to eat when I can read food labels, but I have a hard time counting them when away. I try to stay at around what I estimate to be 1000kcal knowing that I'm underestimating something (so I'm most likely still at 1500+ since I'm not completely starving). I saw there is an app that helps you estimate calories by taking a photo: do you know if that's reliable?

@gbullock32:
    The problem of these conferences is that most of the time you are stuck in the same place for 10-12h straight, with served lunch and buffout coffee break. It would be wonderful if the lunch was buffout as well, so that I could stuff myself with meat, but that doesn't happen often. I try to get the most of my macros at breakfast where I can eat eggs and ham, but beyond that it's unrealistic (and they don't bring us to Mcdonalds).

In some past events we were given more freedom, so that's absolutely viable and I'll take note of relying on them or boiled eggs like rsipock suggested when given the chance to. But really, most of the time we are trapped in a single building for hours, sometimes in forgotten places which are at least 30-60min walk far away from the urban area.

It would also be helpful if you had some sort of guide at calorie counting based on volumetric amounts. Things like "pile of processed carbs sized approximately to the size of a computer mouse" are already a good starting point for me, since they give me a general idea of how much is okayish.

Thanks
    It's like common sense and moderation are foreign concepts to you.

Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    It's like common sense and moderation are foreign concepts to you.
    That's what I'm trying to fix. If you have any helpful input, that's welcome.

That's what I'm trying to fix. If you have any helpful input, that's welcome.
    Just eat a moderate amount; fist size portion of protein, double fist of veggies, half fist of carbs as an example....

Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    Just eat a moderate amount; fist size portion of protein, double fist of veggies, half fist of carbs as an example....
    Thank you.

I know that for you people this is normal, but I've always been used to ignore this stuff up to now. I was just happy with eating good things and the place where I come from doesn't really help with that. I was successful with weight loss during Dukan's diet, so I even more ignored all nutrition rules, as I was able to stuff myself with chicken or other lean protein and avoid calorie counting.

But none of those are sustainable in the long term and I'm nearing my 30s, so it's fkn good time I put a stop to years of unhealthy and uncontrolled eating and stick with a definite diet plan that I can sustain forever, and this implies re-learning how to eat.

ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10) ankmiike is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It would also be helpful if you had some sort of guide at calorie counting based on volumetric amounts.
    If you like counting calories, you can use this volumetric guide:
    Deck of cards ~= 120 grams meat (~25 grams protein)
    Small fist ~= 100 grams carbs (25 grams carbs)
    Tennis ball ~=200 grams fruit (25 grams carbs)
    Dietary fat: 1/2 ping pong ball ~= 14 grams (14 grams fat)

If you don't like counting calories, you can use the volumetric guide from Precision Nutrition:
    Estimating portion size (scroll down for the infographic)
    Workout nutrition (again, scroll down)

Obviously, calorie counting will give you better results, but will require more mental effort.
    The Precision Nutrition's method will still get you to a pretty good ball-park, though.
    Last edited by ankmiike; 09-20-2017 at 08:08 AM.

If the servings are this small, how the hell are you not losing weight? I call bs. There's no way in hell you would be at the weight you are now if this is how you were eating for half the year. Ethiopian prisons serve larger portions than this.

Originally Posted by TheGymJim View Post
    If the servings are this small, how the hell are you not losing weight? I call bs. There's no way in hell you would be at the weight you are now if this is how you were eating for half the year. Ethiopian prisons serve larger portions than this.
    Oh nono sir, don't get me wrong. I started my dieting plan some weeks ago. I've lost 6lbs during this month, but since I was away all the time, it's not only fat but most likely also muscle mass or water. This coming month I will start going to the gym but I'll have to interrupt it at intervals in the upcoming months.

I spent a lot of time coming up with my permanent living style but then remembered that my current life is quite busy with travels and I wouldn't have been able to properly eat for 1/4 of the year (and it won't change for at least 3 years). So that's why I asked how I should regulate myself when abroad from now on.

The calorie deficit worked perfectly so far. I think I am intolerant to gluten, since whenever I eat pasta/pizza or beer my stomach bloats A LOT, but the weight is definitely going down. I just don't want to ruin my progress when I'm away.

RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This coming month I will start going to the gym but I'll have to interrupt it at intervals in the upcoming months.
    Not necessarily. I had almost never bothered to even go to hotel gyms, expecting that they probably had a couple of treadmills. Then I did on a recent trip, and could hardly believe my eyes when I spotted barbells, plates, power racks, and benches. In some ways, that gym was nicer than the one I go to at home. No idea how typical that is, but give it a chance.