Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500) Goingviking is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Misctake7 View Post
    All this talk of intra workout BCAA's and if they are beneficial or not when anybody wanting guaranteed intraworkout benefits can resort to carbs + a whole protein source like hydro whey which sits easily in the stomach. Unflavored hydro and let the carbs flavor the intra workout and it's perfectly fine. That way you aren't leaving anything to question by spending a couple extra bucks.
    The only reason I use them is for calorie considerations. I am trying to keep protein synthesis as high as I can during a heavy cut. I am still eating solid food four meals a day though, but I assume some of my protein is being used up as energy due to a large deficit..

BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000)
    guaranteed intraworkout benefits
    What freakin' benefits??? If you eat adequate protein/calories during the day, there's no need to ingest anything during workout except water.

This intraworkout hype is beyond belief.
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA

"Talk all you want about arcane bodybuilding theories. I'll be in the gym. It's leg day"
    -Dave Draper

"Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back."
    -Henry Rollins

"What is good? — All that heightens the feeling of power, the will to power, power itself in man ... The feeling that power increases — that a resistance is overcome."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Goingviking View Post
    The only reason I use them is for calorie considerations. I am trying to keep protein synthesis as high as I can during a heavy cut. I am still eating solid food four meals a day though, but I assume some of my protein is being used up as energy due to a large deficit..
    BCAA's aren't calorie free. BCAA's are an incomplete source.....at the very least, utilize EAA's if you want an intraworkout that will have even a slight positive effect to them.

Originally Posted by BULLandTERRIER View Post
    What freakin' benefits??? If you eat adequate protein/calories during the day, there's no need to ingest anything during workout except water.

This intraworkout hype is beyond belief.
    So the studies that support the fact intraworkout carbs increase performance are B.S.?
    Intraworkout protein is for those wanting to take full advantage of nutrient timing as well as those needing to fit more calories into there diet. Sitting here and bulking on 5k+ calories and having a full time job, it's an easy way to get in calories and boost performance. Not to mention your body makes much better use of nutrients around the time of your workout. Complete source of protein > BCAA's, so I won't even waste my time mentioning BCAA's. That's not bro science either. Do some looking into nutrient partitioning around the workout parameter. If you're not looking to take those extra steps for gains, it's fine to disregard. But if you're denying the fact of benefits, you just haven't done enough reading or applied it yourself.
    Progressive overload + progressive eating = gains. Simple as that!

It's pronounced gif eatyourspinach's Avatar
    eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    All this talk of intra workout BCAA's and if they are beneficial or not when anybody wanting guaranteed intraworkout benefits can resort to carbs + a whole protein source like hydro whey which sits easily in the stomach. Unflavored hydro and let the carbs flavor the intra workout and it's perfectly fine. That way you aren't leaving anything to question by spending a couple extra bucks.
    Not sure if it would be completely accurate to compare it to hydro whey but Lyle McDonald has an interesting bit about hydrolyzed casein http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/res...h-review.html/
    My secret? Texting between sets.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by OT2000 View Post
    Those same authors said the following as well after:

"Some also questioned my inclusion of BCAA’s, even though I only made a couched recommendation for very specific conditions. It is true that BCAA’s are one of the most frequently used supplements for bodybuilding [15], which is odd considering there is only one study directly relevant to muscle and strength development that supports their use [22]. This popularity is even less founded considering this study was a poster presentation rather than peer reviewed journal article, and considering that dietary controls weren’t put in place to account for total daily protein intake (which is important since a high protein diet contains a high content of BCAA). Outside of this one poster presentation that should be interpreted with caution, there is scant evidence to support BCAA use. "
    The fact that many people tend to overlook.

Originally Posted by Mike McCandless View Post
    Oh boy, the funding study part. I love when people who've never been apart of a study in any way shape or form are now experts on how studies are done.
    I have no problem with the funding part. The fact a company has funded a study doesn't make it less valuable imo.

Unfortunately supplement companies often work with smaller and sometimes less reputable labs, like the HMB-FA study done by Wilson's lab (he's no longer there afaik).

Why not run a study with one of the more reputable labs like Stu Phillips or Luc Van Loon. I'd expert they'd be interested.

BTW, I'm unaware of a study that controlled for adequate protein intake for an athlete, had a challenging training protocol and dosed bcaa's properly that has been published.
    Not even the study you funded with Dudgeon et. al.?

I guess millions of people taking it are all sheep.
    How many people buy a product doesn't necessarily correlate with its efficacy. There are many examples of this, for example the most sold shampoo in Germany contains caffeine because it's supposed to prevent hair loss. Obviously there's no real world data supporting this claim.

People might be buying Xtend because of good marketing, placebo effects, the flavor or other components besides BCAAs. The general public is usually unaware of scientific data.

BCAA's have been shown to reduce fatigue, muscle damage, perceived effort and pain sensation. Improves recovery and immune system response.
    Except that all those studies mentioned used insufficient protein intakes and then gave more AAs to the BCAA group. Give more AAs to one group and it likely helps a bit. But how would BCAAs compare to EEAs or whey? Going by what I've seen EEAs and whey will likely win. So why not push EAAs instead?

But lets have everyone talk about mps.
    In case you didn't know, Stu Phillips lab has shown a ~0.9 correlation between 24h MPS and actual muscle gain measured with muscle biopsy, after attenuation of muscle damage. So 24h MPS is a very interesting proxy in anyone interested in muscle repair and growth.

Long training studies can be interesting but it's hard to control diets and the majority of them lack accurate measures of muscle growth (DEXA and underwater weighing aren't very accurate for changes in muscle).

In fact if you were to fund another BCAA study I would suggest doing a study that measures MPS. Long term training studies are costly and convoluted by many circumstances. If you could show that 10 gram BCAAs is as effective in stimulating MPS as whey or 10 gram EAAs I would definitely change my verdict on them.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 08-19-2017 at 06:16 AM.

JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Can BCAA supplementation have a positive effect on recovery and gains? Absolutely. If someone would give me a free tub of BCAA, I would definitely use it.

I think people are more interested in knowing how BCAA supplementation compares to simply eating more protein, protein supplementation, essential amino acid supplementation, or leucine supplementation. The current research, it appears those alternative supplementation strategies would be more effective.

The Tipton study in the OP suggests that BCAA supplementation is less effective compared to whey protein supplementation.
    Heres a section I wrote about why BCAA supplementation appears be less effective than just supplementing leucine alone:
    http://www.nutritiontactics.com/meas...is/#73_Leucine

It is mentioned that people focus ''just on MPS''. Ultimately, MPS regulates muscle mass. Reducing fatigue, recovery and other suggested outcomes of BCAA supplementation are just tools so you can stimulate MPS more, earlier, longer etc. I work with professor Van Loon who is mentioned above. I'd be happy to run a cool study on BCAA and try to figure out if and when BCAA supplementation could be beneficial.
    Last edited by JornT; 08-19-2017 at 07:05 AM.
    PhD(c) Muscle Metabolism

W: nutritiontactics.com
    T: @jorntrommelen
    FB: /nutritiontactics
    IG: @jorntrommelen
    Snap: jorn_t

Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Once the term always start being used in how things happen in a study, usually time to cut off the lights. I don't even know why I bother with these things anymore, I'm retired lol
    I used to own things.

I get banned a lot for telling the truth.

powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This is fun
    Controlled Labs Warder
    Email: Powercage [at] ControlledLabs.com
    Free Controlled Labs supps for your CL labels: goo.gl/kylDte

I'm pretty sure your wrong, but care to elaborate...

Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.

mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Protein > EAA > BCAAs for MPS

Motorcycle > moped > bicycle for transportation

Supplement a good diet: don't diet on supplements.

MAN Sports Lead Rep

Disclaimer: The statement above reflects that of my own opinion & in no way that of MAN Sports. Our products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

IG: @eminentandpowerfulco

OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by mtpaquette View Post
    Motorcycle > moped > bicycle for transportation
    I prefer my truck for transportation
    Your nutrition and workout program determines your success.

FL and NC crew. Lol @ living in PA. Just LOL.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I don't think we are allowed to discuss that particular vehicle type here

mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Truck > four wheeler (street legal) > Power Wheels?

Is that more relate-able for you? It was the best I could come up with at the time... lmao
    Supplement a good diet: don't diet on supplements.

MAN Sports Lead Rep

Disclaimer: The statement above reflects that of my own opinion & in no way that of MAN Sports. Our products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

IG: @eminentandpowerfulco

Cowboys/Razorbacks/Mavs LoudyRowdy's Avatar
    LoudyRowdy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LoudyRowdy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LoudyRowdy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LoudyRowdy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LoudyRowdy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LoudyRowdy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LoudyRowdy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LoudyRowdy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LoudyRowdy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LoudyRowdy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LoudyRowdy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mtpaquette View Post
    Truck > four wheeler (street legal) > Power Wheels?

Is that more relate-able for you? It was the best I could come up with at the time... lmao
    Big Wheels > all
    - Spot for sale

Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by LoudyRowdy View Post
    Hot Wheels > all
    Fixed

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Once the term always start being used in how things happen in a study, usually time to cut off the lights.
    Who used the word 'always'? I can't find it.

So the studies that support the fact intraworkout carbs increase performance are B.S.?
    I'm not sure if I've seen them all but am I right in saying that they tested intra workout carbs in a fasted state?

I would expect that the benefits disappears when you've had a mixed meal before the workout with ample carbs. And yes I realise that not everyone wants to or can have a pre workout meal.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 08-19-2017 at 08:55 AM.

rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Cool read. Just threw these in my BB cart. I'll have to find out for myself.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/m...5E9169E906B035

https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/g...aminolast.html

In all my years never took the bait.
    The three D's - Desire, Determination and Dedication!

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post

I'm not sure if I've seen them all but am I right in saying that they tested intra workout carbs in a fasted state?

I would expect that the benefits disappears when you've had a mixed meal before the workout with ample carbs. And yes I realise that not everyone wants to or can have a pre workout meal.
    I looked them up quite some time ago before I tried intra carbs. Not sure if I've seen fasted or both. However even with a preworkout carb meal, digestion rates alone will indicate those meals themselves aren't exactly fueling your workouts and will take several hours to get broken down in your system. Food from the day before has a bigger impact than what you eat before a workout.

However a fast digesting carb that keeps insulin levels steady like HBCD is so fast and easily digested that your body will be feeling it during the workout. The type of workout and how your body responds to carbs would be how I'd determine if it's worth incorporating. Most people have no idea how to actually train hard. A short workout for someone that doesn't know how to train hard, they wouldn't need carbs. People that have a strong insulin resistance or carbs make them crash also shouldn't have intra workout carbs. But anybody that knows how to train hard and train for 1.5 hours or longer, carbs can have a huge benefit to performance.

I'm undulating my calories and training right now and switched from a low volume, high intensity progressive overload approach to high volume and not pushing progressive overload for the last 2 weeks. Took intra workout carbs out of my protocol and just having ~50g carbs in my preworkout meal. Can't even tell you how much of a difference it makes on how long I can train for, how long I can keep the weights high before dropping down.

Talk to any of the other members on this site like Ben, Moo, Douge, KDD who utilize intra workout carbs. 2 of those 4 aren't forum reps and neither am I. Think we would waste money on something that doesn't make our workouts better? Ben doesn't take a preworkout meal but KDD and I do.

Lol, that may have come off as a rant. I just like to be detailed on reasoning

I looked them up quite some time ago before I tried intra carbs. Not sure if I've seen fasted or both. However even with a preworkout carb meal, digestion rates alone will indicate those meals themselves aren't exactly fueling your workouts and will take several hours to get broken down in your system. Food from the day before has a bigger impact than what you eat before a workout.
    Carbs the night before is important for glycogen levels. But pre workout is also important. If you eat carbohydrates you'll typically see blood sugar levels rise within ~30 minutes, even with slow digesting carbs. I expect all the studies that show benefits to intra workout carbs used subjects in a fasted state or semi fasted state (no pre workout nutrition).

I'm only interested in the scientific argument by the way. If it's working for you that's great and that's what's important for you of course.

On a similar note, I expect there will never be a study showing benefits to intra workout AAs when people had a protein rich meal before their workout.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 08-19-2017 at 12:04 PM.

BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hold on now bro, you're making way too much sense

Seems like the BCAA supporters actively dodge this point. All of the "benefits" they've described are covered by adequate protein intake, because...wait for it....protein is loaded with BCAAs.

How are some people still not getting this?
    Squat and Deadlift

BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

However a fast digesting carb that keeps insulin levels steady like HBCD is so fast and easily digested that your body will be feeling it during the workout. The type of workout and how your body responds to carbs would be how I'd determine if it's worth incorporating. Most people have no idea how to actually train hard. A short workout for someone that doesn't know how to train hard, they wouldn't need carbs. People that have a strong insulin resistance or carbs make them crash also shouldn't have intra workout carbs. But anybody that knows how to train hard and train for 1.5 hours or longer, carbs can have a huge benefit to performance.

I'm undulating my calories and training right now and switched from a low volume, high intensity progressive overload approach to high volume and not pushing progressive overload for the last 2 weeks. Took intra workout carbs out of my protocol and just having ~50g carbs in my preworkout meal. Can't even tell you how much of a difference it makes on how long I can train for, how long I can keep the weights high before dropping down.

Talk to any of the other members on this site like Ben, Moo, Douge, KDD who utilize intra workout carbs. 2 of those 4 aren't forum reps and neither am I. Think we would waste money on something that doesn't make our workouts better? Ben doesn't take a preworkout meal but KDD and I do.

Lol, that may have come off as a rant. I just like to be detailed on reasoning
    I can speak only from personal experience, and yes, peri workout carbs has been making a difference for me both in terms of performance, as well as recovery and muscular/strength gains. Of course, this is personal experience, but many others report the same results, and there have been studies demonstrating this as well. I questioned it for a while thinking that adequate carb intake, period, would have me covered. I train first thing in the morning, and used to go in with nothing in my system but what I ate the night before. It's also important to note, I've always had a habit of backloading much of my calories; I eat a lot at night, carbs included. Since incorporating dextrin pre and intra, I've notice a big difference.
    Last edited by BenBlue; 08-19-2017 at 01:04 PM.
    Squat and Deadlift

Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mike McCandless has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    One of the 20+ studies I've funded was on Hydro Whey vs WPC80. Conclusion, basically no difference. If you want to go that route, just use regular whey.
    I used to own things.

I get banned a lot for telling the truth.

BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000) BULLandTERRIER is a name known to all. (+5000)
    All relevant studies supporting the beneficial effect of intraworkout carbs/bcaa/protein were done on endurance athletes.

The scientific research on glycogen levels during typical resistance training shows lower muscle glycogen levels by about 30-40%.

Resistance training primarily depends on the phosphocreatine and glycolytic systems. As long as glycogen stores are sufficient (preworkout meal/shake and/or the meals on the day before workout) there will be no benefits of intraworkout carbs/protein.

Data even shows that waiting longer before ingesting carbs causes glycogen supercompensation, but that is probably relevant for extreme endurance athletes.

The mythical postworkout anabolic window has been debunked, but the good fellas from the supplement industry created even more mythical intraworkout anabolic window, take a guess why.

The whole purpose of BB training is to create metabolic stress and muscle damage which will force them to grow and become stronger.

IMHO, trying to cause as much damage on the muscles as possible and AT THE VERY SAME TIME taking bcaa/hydro/leucine/whatever ... trying to "protect" them is counterproductive and kinda schizophrenic.

As of now, we still don't fully understand the mechanisms behind muscle growth, but what we do know is ... As long as you're eating enough protein/calories, macro's and micro's, during the day, the only thing you should do intraworkout is to push the limits and drink water

The point is, even if there's some small benefits of intra protein/carbs, it still doesn't matter much in the long run.
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA

"Talk all you want about arcane bodybuilding theories. I'll be in the gym. It's leg day"
    -Dave Draper

"Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back."
    -Henry Rollins

"What is good? — All that heightens the feeling of power, the will to power, power itself in man ... The feeling that power increases — that a resistance is overcome."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

One of the 20+ studies I've funded was on Hydro Whey vs WPC80. Conclusion, basically no difference. If you want to go that route, just use regular whey.
    I agree. Hydro is easier on the stomach for me, which is why I use it.

All relevant studies supporting the beneficial effect of intraworkout carbs/bcaa/protein were done on endurance athletes.

The scientific research on glycogen levels during typical resistance training shows lower muscle glycogen levels by about 30-40%.

Resistance training primarily depends on the phosphocreatine and glycolytic systems. As long as glycogen stores are sufficient (preworkout meal/shake and/or the meals on the day before workout) there will be no benefits of intraworkout carbs/protein.

Data even shows that waiting longer before ingesting carbs causes glycogen supercompensation, but that is probably relevant for extreme endurance athletes.

The mythical postworkout anabolic window has been debunked, but the good fellas from the supplement industry created even more mythical intraworkout anabolic window, take a guess why.

The whole purpose of BB training is to create metabolic stress and muscle damage which will force them to grow and become stronger.

IMHO, trying to cause as much damage on the muscles as possible and AT THE VERY SAME TIME taking bcaa/hydro/leucine/whatever ... trying to "protect" them is counterproductive and kinda schizophrenic.

As of now, we still don't fully understand the mechanisms behind muscle growth, but what we do know is ... As long as you're eating enough protein/calories, macro's and micro's, during the day, the only thing you should do intraworkout is to push the limits and drink water

The point is, even if there's some small benefits of intra protein/carbs, it still doesn't matter much in the long run.
    You're entitled to your opinion.

You mention even if it has a small benefit, it won't matter much in a long run. If it has a small benefit, it won't matter much in a short time but keep implementing it over a long period of time and that small benefit adds up.

Literature suggests performance diminishes roughly around 90mins into an exercise session due to glycogen depletion kicking in. For those truly training hard and for long sessions are the ones that will benefit.

You mentioned it's your opinion that it's not optimal for this intra workout approach because you want to maximize muscular damage to help build more. The reason I take this besides a performance boost from the carbs is to begin the recovery process immediately. A recent study was released and posted on here and discussed that protein intake immediately following a training session did yield more growth than waiting longer to get a meal in. Again, for people wanting to take advantage of all these small things are who this would be applicable to. And like I said above, doing the small things over a long period of time do add up vs not doing them at all.

If this thread is still relevant when I get back to my work computer on Monday, I'll try and use the broken search function on here to find that thread with the study in. Or if OT or Lucia read this post before then, they might know the study in particular. I remember we all were discussing nutrient timing in that thread.

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Carbs the night before is important for glycogen levels. But pre workout is also important. If you eat carbohydrates you'll typically see blood sugar levels rise within ~30 minutes, even with slow digesting carbs. I expect all the studies that show benefits to intra workout carbs used subjects in a fasted state or semi fasted state (no pre workout nutrition).

I'm only interested in the scientific argument by the way. If it's working for you that's great and that's what's important for you of course.

On a similar note, I expect there will never be a study showing benefits to intra workout AAs when people had a protein rich meal before their workout.
    I believe this study looked at being fasted, preworkout meal only, preworkout meal + intra workout carbs. Fatigue took longer to kick in for those with pre and intra workout carbs. Not being as fatigued will translate into better performance over a longer period of time.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/1757304/

TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    We can post studies all day long and still accomplish nothing. It comes down to the user, either you find them beneficial or you don't. Also, why are we always relying on others instead of ourselves?
    Last edited by TheFugitive; 08-20-2017 at 08:50 AM.
    alienshave.com - Shave Smarter

steve@alienshave.com

BMBC - Master Level - Worldwide

Original 999,999k Crew

BCAAs Bring all the Boys to the Yard

It's pronounced gif eatyourspinach's Avatar
    eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    We can post studies all day long and still accomplish nothing. It comes down to the user, either you find them beneficial or you don't. Also, we are we always relying on others instead of ourselves?
    That's fine but just don't refute a study with n=1 experience.
    My secret? Texting between sets.

TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheFugitive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by eatyourspinach View Post
    That's fine but just don't refute a study with n=1 experience.
    Remember one thing, everyone has an agenda
    alienshave.com - Shave Smarter

steve@alienshave.com

BMBC - Master Level - Worldwide

Original 999,999k Crew

BCAAs Bring all the Boys to the Yard

As you probably know it's controversial whether metabolic stress and muscle damage are really important to muscle growth.

However, there's good data showing that mechanical tension is the main driver of muscle growth.

If it were truly counterproductive, having a pre workout protein feeding would also be disadvantageous, since there will be amino acids in the bloodstream for several hours.

Several studies have shown benefits of pre workout protein and that pre workout protein can be just as effective as post workout protein.

Now I totally agree with you that intra workout protein is completely unnecessary, assuming people had a protein rich meal or shake in the 1-2 hours before their workout.

I believe this study looked at being fasted, preworkout meal only, preworkout meal + intra workout carbs. Fatigue took longer to kick in for those with pre and intra workout carbs. Not being as fatigued will translate into better performance over a longer period of time.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/1757304/
    Cycling endurance... sure. My interest is in lifting.

OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Remember one thing, everyone has an agenda
    Like you being a company rep with a top selling bcaa product? Or maybe it's all an conspiracy

Your nutrition and workout program determines your success.

FL and NC crew. Lol @ living in PA. Just LOL.