Saadmeister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry Biceps reaching failure too quickly

I started going to gym about 2 months ago and I see massive strength gains in all muscles... except for my biceps. Idk why but I can only do 1 proper bicep workout eg preacher curls at 20kg. I rest for 5 mins but once i move onto the next bicep exercise (hammer curls/ curl), I have to significantly reduce the weight to 4kg each arm, yet I'm still not able to complete a full set of 12 reps. I feel no pump and my biceps just don't lift unless I cheat

splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Saadmeister View Post
    I started going to gym about 2 months ago and I see massive strength gains in all muscles... except for my biceps. Idk why but I can only do 1 proper bicep workout eg preacher curls at 20kg. I rest for 5 mins but once i move onto the next bicep exercise (hammer curls/ curl), I have to significantly reduce the weight to 4kg each arm, yet I'm still not able to complete a full set of 12 reps. I feel no pump and my biceps just don't lift unless I cheat
    Have you any idea how heavy a 20kg dumbbell is for a 16 year old who has been lifting for only 2 months? You are doing curls, not presses. Lower the weight so you can do more than just 1 set.

sirNikolai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sirNikolai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sirNikolai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sirNikolai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Firstly, as mentioned above - reduce the weights. Newbie gains come quick but if you're needing a rest of 5mins (which normally should be 30secs-1min) then you're overdoing it.

Secondly, judging from what you said it seems you are doing isolation exercises (so bicep focused). Are you doing some bro-split or are they just accessories to a different type of routine? Because if you look around the forums, someone with little gym experience should not be doing bro splits but focusing on the compound lifts and improving them.

20kg total not per arm. I'm turning 17 in a few days and I have good genetics

I do focus on compound exercises doing deadlifts, squats, benchpress and latpull down exercises in my week workout. I do a semi bro split over 4 days. Regarding isolation exercises, I only do a bit at the end of workout. My triceps have gotten pretty big and can do heavy isolated tricep exercises
    Last edited by Saadmeister; 09-25-2016 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Explanatory mistake

splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) splattenburgers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Saadmeister View Post
    20kg total not per arm. I'm turning 17 in a few days and I have good genetics
    You have good genetics and yet you struggle with more than 1 set of 10kg dumbbell curls?

Also just lol at somebody thinking they have good genetics after 2 months of gym work. You have no idea where you will be a year from now.

PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Focus on strengthening your upper body pulls (a form of barbell row and a form of pull up) instead of isolating your biceps.

You don't see someone having 17" lean arms and a baby back (disregarding site enhancement).

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Don’t do the hammer curls and the preacher curls in the same workout.

If you’re lifting 4 days a week, for example, do hammer curls on Day 2 and preacher curls on day 4.

Biceps are a small muscle and fatigue relatively quickly; also consider that you’ve only been training for 2 months. Your work capacity isn’t very well developed yet.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

Originally Posted by Partyrocking View Post
    Don’t do the hammer curls and the preacher curls in the same workout.
    What is wrong with doing 1 set of curls fallowed by another set of hammers?

PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PendlayRow8500 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by splattenburgers View Post
    What is wrong with doing 1 set of curls fallowed by another set of hammers?
    The hammers will suffer because your elbow flexors are already fatigued.

Originally Posted by PendlayRow8500 View Post
    The hammers will suffer because your elbow flexors are already fatigued.
    Huh. I guess you learn something new every day.