Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Location: Cinderford, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

'No Deadlifts if you're an older athlete'! - Really!

I ordered a book called Muscle Exercises Encyclopedia by Oscar Moran from Amazon last week.

I had a flick through, and I'm not sure I agree with some of the comments regarding Squats and Deadlifts.

For Squats, the author advocates doing only Half Squats, due to too much knee pressure for parallel or below, and for deadlifts it's worse news, he suggests avoiding them altogether for 'older athletes', stating that way too much pressure is put on the vertebrae.

The author starts off by stating that "The bad news for bodybuilders who are traditionalists is that this exercise is dangerous and may be inadvisable"

Anyone agree, should Deadlifts be avoided altogether for us 'older folk', or advised against for younger bodybuilder? I don't!

For the Squat, he states that, "Some people call this the 'Half' Squat. In this authors opinion, however, supporters of the 'Full' or 'Deep' Squat ignore the intense strain the movement places on the knee if heavy weights are used, with the accompanying risk of serious or chronic injury"! I know that there is plenty of people who advocate doing Squats to parallel and no further, but Half Squats!

May send this book back...

Chris

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by chriswatton66 View Post
    I ordered a book called Muscle Exercises Encyclopedia by Oscar Moran from Amazon last week.
    Never read things written by Morans.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

The Flanimal project Flounderbout's Avatar
    Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I suspect that nearly everyone in my gym has read that book...
    ☻/
    /▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
    / \

"Stay tight and don't be a pussy" Eric
    "Get out of your head, you've got this" Jedi Spotter

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DuracellBunny View Post
    Never read things written by Morans.
    Abso-doot-lee.

Especially if the book is written by this Moran.

[img]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/********/000/026/479/morans.jpg[/img]
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SwoleCPA is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

I had a flick through, and I'm not sure I agree with some of the comments regarding Squats and Deadlifts.

For Squats, the author advocates doing only Half Squats, due to too much knee pressure for parallel or below, and for deadlifts it's worse news, he suggests avoiding them altogether for 'older athletes', stating that way too much pressure is put on the vertebrae.

The author starts off by stating that "The bad news for bodybuilders who are traditionalists is that this exercise is dangerous and may be inadvisable"

Anyone agree, should Deadlifts be avoided altogether for us 'older folk', or advised against for younger bodybuilder? I don't!

For the Squat, he states that, "Some people call this the 'Half' Squat. In this authors opinion, however, supporters of the 'Full' or 'Deep' Squat ignore the intense strain the movement places on the knee if heavy weights are used, with the accompanying risk of serious or chronic injury"! I know that there is plenty of people who advocate doing Squats to parallel and no further, but Half Squats!

Chris
    I thought all us old guys knew this. Once you go over 35 you should avoid deadlifts and squats at all cost. Just to be sure I don't even do a full squat to go to the bathroom.

tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I hurt after heavy lifts below parallel on squats and heavy lifts on deadlifts so I understand where he's coming from. I use less weight now that I'm older and better form and ignore this type of advice.
    Instagram: tomnationwide
    Twitter: @tomnationwide

chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by NorwichGrad View Post
    Abso-doot-lee.

Especially if the book is written by this “Moran.”

Brilliant!

I could understand if the author advised taking more care (as I am sure we all do anyway), but to simply dismiss them (Deadlifts) altogether is strange!
    Also, I thought doing Half Squats as a staple exercise was dangerous, because if full ROM isn't utilised, weak areas develop which could be disastrous further down the line, when heavier weight is used?

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Also, I thought doing Half Squats as a staple exercise was dangerous, because if full ROM isn't utilised, weak areas develop which could be disastrous further down the line, when heavier weight is used?
    The truth is even worse, considering the author's advice. Half squats involve using more weight as they are easier, hence greater skeletal load, but not muscular. Stopping the weight half way down means that you arrest the motion with your quads instead of your hams, whereas you would use your hams to stop the motion if you went lower. On top of that, one of the functions of the hams is to stablise the knee joint when using the quads.

If you add all of that up, you get greater mechanical load with less stabilisation when doing half squats. If people want to do them or can only do them due to whatever issues, that's fair enough, but to do them out of some misguided sense of "safety" is just plain wrong and for an author to recommend it is inexcusable.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

Chris

LOL. It's nonsense, OP.

Get a refund.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Oscar Moran...

...For Squats, the author advocates doing only Half Squats, due to too much knee pressure for parallel or below, and for deadlifts it's worse news, he suggests avoiding them altogether for 'older athletes', stating that way too much pressure is put on the vertebrae.
    Strong author name to book content ratio.

Working on Hoosier 2.0 HoosierHardGain's Avatar
    HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Oh no! I'm scheduled to deadlift tomorrow. Will I die if I do??
    Burning Fat Cells One Rep At A Time

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it." - Nelson Mandela.

The Flanimal project Flounderbout's Avatar
    Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by HoosierHardGain View Post
    Oh no! I'm scheduled to deadlift tomorrow. Will I die if I do??
    Yes I'm afraid so Hoos. But hey, you have had a pretty good innings.
    ☻/
    /▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
    / \

"Stay tight and don't be a pussy" Eric
    "Get out of your head, you've got this" Jedi Spotter

johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000)
    I belong to a power lifting gym where there are many masters competitors that train there. Most of the older Masters lift geared (squat suits, dls suits) but their lifts are amazing to watch...We have 2 55+ year olds at our gym that can squat over a 1000 lbs geared to full depth, I have also seen a 63 year old squat raw 650 there.

I feel very insignificant doing my measly 500lb raw squat and have just started learning to lift in single ply gear (I see some big numbers coming my way this year learning from these guys).

As for that author - he is an idiot!
    Dead Lift till you puke crew!

Working on Hoosier 2.0 HoosierHardGain's Avatar
    HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HoosierHardGain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Flounderbout View Post
    Yes I'm afraid so Hoos. But hey, you have had a pretty good innings.
    Burning Fat Cells One Rep At A Time

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it." - Nelson Mandela.

Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SwoleCPA View Post
    I thought all us old guys knew this. Once you go over 35 you should avoid deadlifts and squats at all cost. Just to be sure I don't even do a full squat to go to the bathroom.
    I stand up to poo now because of that book. It's not too bad once you get used to it but the big splash is really annoying...
    Well meaning, elderly man with a poor memory...pause

Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Fishman15 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by NorwichGrad View Post
    Abso-doot-lee.

Especially if the book is written by this “Moran.”

NG, I bet you never thought that sign would ring so true. Well done...
    Well meaning, elderly man with a poor memory...pause

squatnonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatnonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatnonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatnonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatnonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatnonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatnonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatnonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatnonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatnonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) squatnonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    smh, the things you can find online are disturbing, and this book is one of them!

MattB74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattB74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattB74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattB74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattB74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattB74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattB74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattB74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattB74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattB74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattB74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey NG - Just curious, do you know the source of that picture?

I think I know that guy.

Figured just a coincidence, but then I noticed the Mariners's shirt on the kid in the background - makes me wonder if it was taken in Seattle. If that picture was taken in Seattle, I totally know that guy... (if not I know a guy who looks exactly like that)

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Chris
    Burn it.
    On the list for Bannukah

MuscleReaction is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MuscleReaction is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MuscleReaction is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MuscleReaction is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MuscleReaction is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MuscleReaction is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MuscleReaction is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MuscleReaction is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MuscleReaction is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MuscleReaction is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MuscleReaction is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    LMFAO! All I can do is laugh, you people crack me up!

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I threw in a couple extra sets of squats today, just to shake things up. I'm pretty sure I hit just a touch below parallel. Now my butt hurts. Would this book have saved my glutes?
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000)
    I do way more damage to my knees and hips playing golf than I do squatting or deadlifting heavy. I never hurt myself in the gym, I warm up, stretch, and use proper form. I played 18 holes today and my freaking left posterior delt and my left knee are on fire.
    There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

I like fake boobs that look real and real boobs that look fake.

The book has now been sent back to Amazon and money refunded. It had good customer reviews, too - I can only assume they do not train seriously, or haven't really read it...

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Chris
    As much as I hate to admit, my experience agrees somewhat with the author. However, I can do full ROM box squats with absolutely zero knee issues.

As for deadlifts, I have to either use a sub 300lb girl weight or use an abbreviated range of motion (rack pull) if I don't want to be hurting for days after. Between box squats and elevated trap bar deadlifts, I still feel I'm covering all my bases. My #1 priority in the gym nowadays is to leave my workouts injury free. An abbreviated ROM on deadlifts helps ensure a proper arch/thoracic extension.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000)
    I sure this 'Moron' assumes bench and overhead press are bad for the shoulders as well. I actually do power cleans for 3 lifts and then dead lift for the 4 week of my cycle. I guess that means we'll all have to switch to aerobics or pilates.

Patience, grasshopper. NorthernMusicia's Avatar
    NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have a back that always used to ache. It was horrible. Of course, deadlifts were to be avoided, but, being the iconoclast I am, I tried them. Now if I skip deads my back aches. If I do them, all good. Personally, I think most of us who have matured some are more likely to take the time to get it right, rather than feeling he have to prove something. We tend to lift because we enjoy it, and not to impress the girls. Getting the odd wink from them though is okay by me. I'm in my 50s.
    Exercise isn't diet. Diet isn't exercise. Defiantly building muscle.

PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Oh No!.. I am about to start a program with the goal of deadlifting 2.5 times my body weight on my 60th birthday. The PT that has me doing this has a masters in sports physiology spesializing in mature (40+) trainees. The program is pretty simple. Eat more and deadlift 3 times a week, adding weight SLOWLY over time.

What to do now?
    Anybody can workout for an hour but controlling what you eat the next 23 hours is the real task.

Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    They can write useless trash like that all they want. Just ignore it. The right strength and aerobic program makes us fitter and faster. I rebuilt a back ruined back in a car wreck. primarily with my Deads , and ruined knees primarily with my Squats. Both body parts are now extremely strong and function like new. My gym down here in The Villages (the world's biggest retirement community) doesn't have a Power Rack and rarely a capable spotter, so I make do with the Smith machine. Still at 74, I can Rack Dead a solid 510 and ATG Squat 250 for multiple sets of 5 reps. After more than a decade off I am also back running doing my 60 sec. Intervals at a 7 min./mile pace. I couldn't be happier physically. Throw the books away that want to place lazyman limits on older athletes.
    Dutch

For four generations my family has answered the call and served as needed from Europe to Asia to 9/11. We will gladly stand and fight again to preserve our freedom from tyranny.

Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't squat or deadlift, but it has nothing to do with age. If it works for you, right on! If it doesn't, no problem.

There are lots of ways to skin this cat.
    I don't lift weights, I flex under duress.

My 12 month progress thread
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155962953&p=1113020323#post1113020323

Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Robfitx has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    They can write useless trash like that all they want. Just ignore it. The right strength and aerobic program makes us fitter and faster. I rebuilt a back ruined back in a car wreck. primarily with my Deads , and ruined knees primarily with my Squats. Both body parts are now extremely strong and function like new. My gym down here in The Villages (the world's biggest retirement community) doesn't have a Power Rack and rarely a capable spotter, so I make do with the Smith machine. Still at 74, I can Rack Dead a solid 510 and ATG Squat 250 for multiple sets of 5 reps. After more than a decade off I am also back running doing my 60 sec. Intervals at a 7 min./mile pace. I couldn't be happier physically. Throw the books away that want to place lazyman limits on older athletes.
    Very inspiring post!
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #15 ||---||