Closed Thread
    andrewpc21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewpc21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewpc21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewpc21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewpc21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewpc21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewpc21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewpc21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewpc21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewpc21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewpc21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

About helping my friend John to gain size on leg

Hi,

I was wondering if you have any advice for my friend John who needs help on how to gain size on his legs. Here's the video and he's big and ripped but needs help on to gain size on his legs. He is 51 years old.

He says that,

"I do a lot of work on legs twice a week I do legs every thing else on once a week but the legs don't seem to respond the way the rest for the body does (" wish i could figure a way to force the legs to grow")"

https://www.********.com/j2king2001/...1136/?theater#

He's also on bodyspace site http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/j2king/ and on ********

https://www.********.com/j2king2001
    Last edited by andrewpc21; 01-07-2016 at 09:44 AM.

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Well those rope pulldowns will do little to help his legs grow

Why doesn't John King come here and ask the question? What does he do now for legs? Working legs isn't descriptive.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

SomeGuy42 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SomeGuy42 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SomeGuy42 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SomeGuy42 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SomeGuy42 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SomeGuy42 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SomeGuy42 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SomeGuy42 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SomeGuy42 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SomeGuy42 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SomeGuy42 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I concur. However, doing "a lot of work on legs" might be the problem. Hard workouts stimulate gains in strength and muscle tissue. It's not possible to do "a lot of work" at high intensity. Maybe he should do three working sets of heavy squats for his leg workout and no more.

j2king has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) j2king has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) j2king has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) j2king has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) j2king has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) j2king has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) j2king has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) j2king has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy sorry

Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    Well those rope pulldowns will do little to help his legs grow

Why doesn't John King come here and ask the question? What does he do now for legs? Working legs isn't descriptive.
    I did not post here cause I am embarrassed by the my legs. I have had back problems from the time I was 24 and just last Aug have to have 2 titanium clips put in to address 2 complete collapsed disk in my lower back. so I have very small legs and I don't know what to do to get them to grow.

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by j2king View Post
    I did not post here cause I am embarrassed by the my legs. I have had back problems from the time I was 24 and just last Aug have to have 2 titanium clips put in to address 2 complete collapsed disk in my lower back. so I have very small legs and I don't know what to do to get them to grow.
    Well you've been here since 1969 so you should know by now

Seriously though, what limitations has your doctors given you? I'd imagine there will need to be some sort of recovery involved.

What are you currently doing for your lower half? You have a solid upper half so you obviously know how to put in the work.

To answer what I would do in your situation, health permitting, is to add back squats 2-3 times a week, some sort of deadlift varient 1-2 times a week (straight leg deadlift, Romanian, or conventional deadlifts) and or some higher rep leg presses. Just my opinion on how to get started. After a good amount of time I'd asses my progress and adjust. There are many things you could incorporate into your training but, for me, nothing is better than lots and lots of squats in the beginning to add strength and size.

Just my .02.
    ☻/
    /▌

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Mind posting your current lower body routine? As well as exercises that are an absolute no-go?
    I don't lift weights, I flex under duress.

My 12 month progress thread
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155962953&p=1113020323#post1113020323

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Well, it's hard to tell somebody with medical issues how to train their legs. I'd find things that you can do, perhaps get some assistance from a good physical therapist?
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JT
    for me, nothing is better than lots and lots of squats in the beginning to add strength and size.
    JT: normally, I couldn't agree with you more, however as stated here:

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    Well, it's hard to tell somebody with medical issues how to train their legs. I'd find things that you can do, perhaps get some assistance from a good physical therapist?

he does have those "titanium clips" in his "collapsed" vertebrae: how do we know the extent of what he is talking about and it's limitations???????????
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If we're avoiding loading the spine, single leg leg presses with the other leg straight comes to mind. 10x10 will get them to grow.

Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I find the best thing for back injuries is to give suggestions... and let the person (and their doc) find what's best for them.

Some leg ideas...

sissy squats
    sissy leg press
    leg extensions
    leg curls
    Elevated glute bridge/leg curl
    cable good mornings
    glute kickbacks
    high resistance cycling
    DB squats

basically, run the gambit of exercises. See why you can do, then work the crap out of it. Exhaust every means within the limits of that exercise.
    I don't lift weights, I flex under duress.

My 12 month progress thread
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155962953&p=1113020323#post1113020323

Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    JT: normally, I couldn't agree with you more, however as stated here:

he does have those "titanium clips" in his "collapsed" vertebrae: how do we know the extent of what he is talking about and it's limitations???????????
    I did ask him what limitations the docs gave him. I would hope that before worrying about aesthetics he received clearance from a doctor to resume training.
    Last edited by Jtbny; 01-09-2016 at 06:13 AM.
    ☻/
    /▌

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Talk to your Orthopedist, OP. Taking exercise advice from an internet forum could land you in a wheelchair.........or worse.

Good luck.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733