NealeSmith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Novice Program Recommendation?

Hey guys so I've been doing a lot of reading on the forum about all of the different programs and have done some research on them and looking at some of the advice posters have been given.

I'm just having a bit of a difficult time making a decision, split between fierce 5, Starting Strength(with accessories if i feel i need them) and Strong lifts(with accessories if i feel i need them (not quite sure how to add them in, have read there are accessories but cannot locate it a little help maybe? )).

Starting Strength I was looking at is from the FAQ wiki 2nd program:

Workout A Workout B
    3x5 Squat 3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press 3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift 3x5 Deadlift

Then after

Workout A Workout B
    3x5 Squat 3x5 Squat
    1x5 Deadlift 3x5 Power Clean

Finally

Workout A Workout B
    3x5 Squat 3x5 Squat
    1x5 Deadlift/ 5x3 Power Clean(alternating) 3x10 Back Extension
    3xFailure (15 max) Chin-ups/Pull-ups(Alternating)

Having a difficult time choosing so some advice would be great not getting to far ahead of myself but once I eventually progress to intermediate was thinking about doing the Texas Method or Madcow 5x5 as I have heard that they are good programs so I thought maybe I should choose a novice program that those stem from maybe?

Not sure if this any help but I'm

183cm (6'0)
    67kg (147lb)
    and for 3x5 bench can do 55kg (120lb)
    Swimmer would say I'm lean and have a bit more muscle then the average guy my age (16)

Any help would be great thanks!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I would choose Fierce 5 due to muscular balance issues.

With any routine that says you can add extras like chins and dips - you should not add them in immediately, the progression is designed so that you start with a lower workload and increase it over time, this would be more beneficial that starting with a high workload from the outset.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I would choose Fierce 5 due to muscular balance issues.

With any routine that says you can add extras like chins and dips - you should not add them in immediately, the progression is designed so that you start with a lower workload and increase it over time, this would be more beneficial that starting with a high workload from the outset.
    Thanks for the reply!
    Just wondering if you could explain a bit more by what u mean when you say muscular imbalances with fierce 5 compared to ss or so?

I will certainly take your advice for not adding the extras.straight away thankyou for advising me on this

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I mean the amount of work done on opposing muscle groups such as chest and upper back. A lot of people tend to do a lot more pressing than pulling and can develop shoulder pain after a time. Fierce 5 was written to avoid this situation.

jordxnk will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordxnk will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordxnk will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordxnk will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordxnk will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordxnk will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordxnk will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordxnk will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordxnk will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordxnk will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordxnk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm a novice too (3 months) and i would agree with the guy above me - Fierce 5 is my personal choice because it works more parts of your body, is flexible and doesn't get boring.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I mean the amount of work done on opposing muscle groups such as chest and upper back. A lot of people tend to do a lot more pressing than pulling and can develop shoulder pain after a time. Fierce 5 was written to avoid this situation.
    I see, thankyou for pointing that out. Allow me to see why it's more logical to pick it

I see, 2 votes for fierce 5 thankyou