Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What am I doing wrong?

I have been going to the gym, at least 3-4 times a week for about 6 weeks now. I am really trying to focus on upper body. But I am not seeing any change yet. I am not feeling any soreness the days after workout either. I did initially, but none now. I am using weight heavy enough where I am struggling to finish my sets. doing about 4-5 exercises per body part and try to alternate exericses so I am not working one part repeatedly (Chest , biceps, chest , biceps etc).
    I am trying to maximze my protein intact, but not sure what else I can do, or change.

Madbrad70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madbrad70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madbrad70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madbrad70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madbrad70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madbrad70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madbrad70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madbrad70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madbrad70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madbrad70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Madbrad70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Are you following a program or are you doing something on your own ? Soreness is not always equal to a good work out. Are you getting any stronger ? That would be a better judge as to if your working in the right direction rather than soreness. Post what your routine looks like also.

Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Navyhm71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My Biceps exercises include Machine biceps Curls, Cable overhead biceps curls, Alternating Dumbell Curls, Alternating Hammer curls, and EZ Bar Barbell curls. I typically do this with Chest exercsies as well (Incline, Decline, and chest press cable cross overs). I will vary the order based on equipment availability. I typically do 3 sets of 8 of each.

tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Muscle breakdown and repair is constant, but is not usually visable in such a short time span.. I did not see major changes for least a year or two. Just keep at it.

Corpsman 91-99 & forever cmoore's Avatar
    cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1. If you're training instinctively (sounds like it), DON'T. Get on a structured program (like "Starting Strength"). Train HARD, Train Heavy, and Train as often as humanly possible.
    2. Fix your diet. Quit "trying" and eat appropriately. click this and read it all: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380183
    3. get plenty of rest
    4. drink more water

Good luck!
    "I'm not a Ninja, but I played one on TV." -cmoore, American Ninja Warrior (ANW 7,8)

"Of all the things I lost during my cut, I miss my mind the most." -cmoore

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Navyhm71 View Post
    I have been going to the gym, at least 3-4 times a week for about 6 weeks now. try to alternate exericses so I am not working one part repeatedly (Chest , biceps, chest , biceps etc).
    My Biceps exercises include Machine biceps Curls, Cable overhead biceps curls, Alternating Dumbell Curls, Alternating Hammer curls, and EZ Bar Barbell curls. I typically do this with Chest exercsies as well (Incline, Decline, and chest press cable cross overs).
    1) it's only been 6 weeks

2) you mention chest and biceps in both posts, but no other muscle groups. Are you only training those 2 muscle groups?
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000) angrypenguin54 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree with the others and get on a solid beginners program and stick with it for 6 months to a year.

4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4Biz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    6 weeks is nothing & quit that stupid 3x8 routine - it doesn't work

Lift compound excercises with intensity

Take is plenty of protein
    BP Max: 350
    (315x4, 275x8, 11x250)

51 yrs - 6' 1" - 228

JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If the weigths are increasing and your not sore, be thankful.

Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Buggfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have been going to the gym, at least 3-4 times a week for about 6 weeks now. I am really trying to focus on upper body. But I am not seeing any change yet. I am not feeling any soreness the days after workout either. I did initially, but none now. I am using weight heavy enough where I am struggling to finish my sets. doing about 4-5 exercises per body part and try to alternate exericses so I am not working one part repeatedly (Chest , biceps, chest , biceps etc).
    I am trying to maximze my protein intact, but not sure what else I can do, or change.
    sounds like you've adapt to your program you need to change it and learn how to change it depending on how your body reacts to routines and techniques. You might start with adding all body part exercises non-alternating bis-bis-etc or add supersets. Do your biceps on your shoulder or back day or on your leg day. Read up on the different techniques and routine changing or splits and that you will adapt to everyone- you have to keep your body guessing. That sounds to be the issue, your muscles know whats to come, it's not a challenge or shock really.

hope that helps.

Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Op you may consider getting on a structured program. Periodization, Pyramid or 5x5 maybe be agreeable to you. Be patient and be smart or you will be posting about rotor cuff, neck, and knee injuries.

josephz2va will become famous soon enough. (+50) josephz2va will become famous soon enough. (+50) josephz2va will become famous soon enough. (+50) josephz2va will become famous soon enough. (+50) josephz2va will become famous soon enough. (+50) josephz2va will become famous soon enough. (+50) josephz2va will become famous soon enough. (+50) josephz2va will become famous soon enough. (+50) josephz2va will become famous soon enough. (+50) josephz2va will become famous soon enough. (+50) josephz2va will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Couple things to checklist:
    - Weights for Full Body Workout from Arms and Chest to Legs to Abs
    - Cardio
    - Body Based Exercises (Pushups, Plank Holds, Oblique and Abs, Medicine Ball Twists, etc). You can purchase a home workout program based on body workouts or weight workouts when not in a gym. I do both weights and body daily.
    - Supplements appropriate to age (ie on the dropdown: Store-Find A Supplement Plan-40+ Men)
    - Yoga stretch workout to repair. Stretching is important to keep the muscles from dying of soreness and lengthen it out.

Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000)
    That's a lot of exercises, and not much a structured programme Navyhm71. To give some idea of how few exercises you really need, consider this: I do four exercises for upper body: bench press, T-Bar row, overhead press, pullups. Each twice a week, four sets a time. This doesn't need to be complicated.
    Training journal and diary: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155348593

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Diet, know and hit your macros for your protein, fats, and carbs. Pick a proven beginner program over in the workout section. This will be a 3 day a week full body that includes the compound exercises as the base of your routine. Right now you are trying to get big doing a bunch of accessory work. You have got to build your base with the big compounds and then add in the accessory work that you have now.

Squats, some type of deadlift, some type of row, some type of overhead press, preferably all while using a barbell should be part of your routine. Pull ups, dips etc are also great for accessory work if you can do them.

Read this---->http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=163895531

Read this---->http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=139911893

Read this----->http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380183

Go find a good beginners program in the workouts part of the forum.

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Buggfu View Post
    you have to keep your body guessing.
    Please stop posting.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    What about the other 75% of your muscle groups---you back and legs?

Stop what you're currently doing, and start all over again, here:

Fierce 5 Novice routine:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=159678631

If you don't know how to perform any of the exercises in this program, look them up here to learn how to do them correctly:
    http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

This thread will explain all the steps to figure your baseline of required protein, fat, carbs, and calories:
    *Emma Leigh's calorie/macro thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380183

Get your regular-food nutrition squared-away and your eating on a consistent basis for a couple of months, and then consider addition of possible supplements.

Guessing at portion sizes or relying on food package information will fail you. Buy an inexpensive digital food scale (~$30 at any big-box discount store), weigh your portions, and track them here: http://fitday.com
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

jjd975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjd975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjd975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjd975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjd975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjd975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjd975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjd975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjd975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjd975 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jjd975 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by DuracellBunny View Post
    Please stop posting.
    Fuuuuunnny. And seriously, +1

Ok, So I am going to try the Jim Stoppani 12 week Shortcut to Size routine. My next question is, I workout early in the mornings (5am) and do not have a workout partner. Looking at this program, seems like you should really have one. I know bench press/squats etc are much more effective than doing similar motions on machines/cable systems.

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Does your gym have a power rack? That's all the training partner you'll need I'm assuming. (haven't read that program you're planning on though)
    365 255 480 in April! ...2019
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)

Do you mean like a smith machine? were the bar can rotate and hook onto pegs so you can limit how far down it goes?

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do you mean like a smith machine? were the bar can rotate and hook onto pegs so you can limit how far down it goes?

No spotter required.
    365 255 480 in April! ...2019
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)

Registered User wesleytimmons41's Avatar
    wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wesleytimmons41 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Shaneinga mentioned your Diet , your eating is the key ingredient to shaping your body! Read/read/read and then read some more about nutrition all over the forums on here, you'll find whatever you need to reach whatever goal you want.

After you've nailed down a good eating plan , any beginner program will get a newbie good results.
    Best of luck!