PrincessEmJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation How to train 2 clients same time, completely different fitness levels.

Hi everyone,
    I am just wondering if anyone has any tips on training a couple, who have very different fitness levels, now by very different I mean he has never stepped foot in a gym before our first session we had ( where he got light headed at the end of the session) and she has been going to a gym 3 times a week off and on for a few months, still in the obese category but can withstand a lot more work than him.

I have trained the couple 2 times now, circuit style first time he nearly fainted at the end, second time she found it too easy.

How do you find a happy medium?

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Simply train each as an individual. Just because they share the same hour, that doesn't mean they need to share the same program, same machines or the same number of sets or reps. If that means you must temporarily leave one to assist another, providing they both understand why, this should not be an issue.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    My first answer to this is always simply don't do it - but you're already there. Husbands/wives, etc are really hard to train together due to this very reason. The only time I've ever trained two people is when they are of the same ability level and even then it is a PITA.

One thing I'd suggest is if your sessions are an hour then break it up - you do the warmup with them together, then each person goes off and does HIIT cardio for 20-25 minutes while you do strength with the other one. Kind of like giving them each a 1/2 session. They are likely getting a discounted training price so shouldn't have a problem with it.

RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000) RUCKUS10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Ronin4help View Post
    Simply train each as an individual. Just because they share the same hour, that doesn't mean they need to share the same program, same machines or the same number of sets or reps. If that means you must temporarily leave one to assist another, providing they both understand why, this should not be an issue.
    This!

Most people wanna get a solid session in. If they're doing a 2 on 1 and are at different levels and are ok with sharing a session you build it to accommodate both within they're own perimeters. You should always teach as you go so the one that's less advanced you can focus more on and keep an eye on the other for small form tweaks I usually like to keep them doing the same exercises or water it down for the less experienced one.
    Team 360CUT
    www.360Cut.com
    Http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/360cut.html

LIKE AND FOLLOW US
    ********: ********.com/360cut Twitter: @360cut Instagram: @360cut
    --
    PERSONAL TRAINER/COACH
    www.trainwithgmac.com
    ********: Gary GMac McClain Jr
    Instagram: trainwithgmac
    It's GO TIME!!! #CausinRuckus #SilentRage #TrainWithGmac

IFBBJENC is just really nice. (+1000) IFBBJENC is just really nice. (+1000) IFBBJENC is just really nice. (+1000) IFBBJENC is just really nice. (+1000) IFBBJENC is just really nice. (+1000) IFBBJENC is just really nice. (+1000) IFBBJENC is just really nice. (+1000) IFBBJENC is just really nice. (+1000) IFBBJENC is just really nice. (+1000) IFBBJENC is just really nice. (+1000) IFBBJENC is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by PrincessEmJane View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I am just wondering if anyone has any tips on training a couple, who have very different fitness levels, now by very different I mean he has never stepped foot in a gym before our first session we had ( where he got light headed at the end of the session) and she has been going to a gym 3 times a week off and on for a few months, still in the obese category but can withstand a lot more work than him.

I have trained the couple 2 times now, circuit style first time he nearly fainted at the end, second time she found it too easy.

How do you find a happy medium?
    I like to keep them doing the same exercises or partner stuff...water it down if need be. For example, I may have one do the more challenging part of the exercise while the other just "helps" them with the exercise when in actuality they are truly working out but at their level. For example, a duo exercise like ab crunch with a ball toss. I would have the advanced one lying on the ground to execute the exercise, while the other be the one to toss the ball to them as they fall back and crunch up to toss the ball back. I may add in something like a ball slam for the less fit client who is the one tossing the ball, before tossing it to the one doing the exercise. This keeps them both moving at their pace/level but still motivating and doing it together.
    Team 360CUT
    www.360Cut.com
    Http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/360cut.html

LIKE AND FOLLOW US
    ********: ********.com/360cut Twitter: @360cut Instagram: @360cut

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Strategic programing and anticipating how things will pan out in a busy environment. Contingency.

I've been in your situation for years now. An older man with injuries (who's still quite strong on certain lifts), with a younger man who does marathons with minimal injuries (who's not quite as strong). At the start the communication must be clear - sometimes you'll be over there, or over here etc. during a set to help that person. Keep them somewhat closeby, but in seperate workouts. Keep an eye on both. They must be aware that it's not the ideal situation. Be honest. Say that a 30min session for one then a 30min session for the other (that still equates 60min session time) would be most ideal, but more often than not they just wanna train together. So they have to understand the negatives from our perspective.

Lots of supersets. Something assisted vs. something easy to execute. Then switch. After a couple of sets, group huddle and discuss next exercise/s. Explain clearly what they have to do, regardless if you're by their side or not. That keeps the flow of the session going.

If it creates a dangerous situation for them or other members, that's when a meeting needs to be called and a decision made how to move forward. I've tried having this in the past but managers often hate the thought of losing even a 30min session. It's tough, i know.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted