playitagain100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playitagain100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Tell me exactly what to do??

I've gained weight from studying abroad and I want to trade it for some muscle!! (or at least get rid of those unsightly love handles). I've new to all of this so any (and very specific) advice would be much appreciated!
    Attached Images

Nyergk is not very helpful. (-500) Nyergk is not very helpful. (-500) Nyergk is not very helpful. (-500) Nyergk is not very helpful. (-500) Nyergk is not very helpful. (-500) Nyergk is not very helpful. (-500) Nyergk is not very helpful. (-500) Nyergk is not very helpful. (-500) Nyergk is not very helpful. (-500) Nyergk is not very helpful. (-500) Nyergk is not very helpful. (-500)
    a very good basic training is to do 2*25 + 1*10 twice a week with isolate exercices ,
    don't work at failure but fractionate each serie in half or tierce with one minute rest.

for example :
    butterfly with dumbell 5*10 at 60% of 1rm (25 rm)
    butterfly 2*5 at 80% of 1rm (10rm)

work back with pulley and arms stretch
    http://www.espace-musculation.fr/wp-...ras-tendus.jpg

curl biceps 5*10 at 60% + 2*5 at 80%
    triceps 5*10 + 2*5
    shoulder 5*10 + 2*5

legpress 5*10 at 60% of 1rm (25rm)
    quadriceps on chair (isolation) 2*5 at 80% of 1rm(10rm)
    ischios 5*10 at 60% +2*5 at 80%

+abs

Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Squatticus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Nyergk View Post
    a very good basic training is to do 2*25 + 1*10 twice a week with isolate exercices ,
    don't work at failure but fractionate each serie in half or tierce with one minute rest.

for example :

triceps 5*10 + 2*5
    shoulder 5*10 + 2*5

+abs

the **** are you talking about?
    IG: kenneth_prime

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Full body compound routine 3 x per week, such as Starting Strength.

Learn how to count calories and track macros accurately. Use a digital scale in grams and a program like Livestrong Myplate to record intake.

Looks like you've got fat to lose and muscle to gain. What are your stats? Height/weight...
    Eat ~1g protein per lb of bodyweight, .5g of fat per lb of bw, and the rest of your calories in carbs.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

playitagain100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playitagain100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    Full body compound routine 3 x per week, such as Starting Strength.

Learn how to count calories and track macros accurately. Use a digital scale in grams and a program like Livestrong Myplate to record intake.

Looks like you've got fat to lose and muscle to gain. What are your stats? Height/weight...
    Eat ~1g protein per lb of bodyweight, .5g of fat per lb of bw, and the rest of your calories in carbs.
    Thank you for your answer!! I'm 5'8 and 133 lbs (usually that weight looks good on someone of my height but I guess not for me haha... Maybe with some muscle it will!)

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by playitagain100 View Post
    Thank you for your answer!! I'm 5'8 and 133 lbs (usually that weight looks good on someone of my height but I guess not for me haha... Maybe with some muscle it will!)
    Yep, the # on the scale is a healthy one, but you do not have enough muscle and too much fat. At this point, dieting is not the answer. Even if you drop more fat, you're not going to like how you look. I'd go into a nice long slow bulk - eat to gain 1-2 lbs per month, lift a heavy and solid progressive program. If you gain nice and slow, over the course of a year you'll end up weighing 145 but if you gain mostly muscle, you're NOT going to look fat - just solid. After that bulk, you can diet down any fat that you want to lose, and then start that bulking process again.

People freak out about gaining weight on a bulk. But what I've realized after going through it - gaining 5, 10, 15 lbs...on a bulk... does not look like gaining the equivalent amount of weight in just pure fat. The weight is carried in a much more shapely and flattering way, because it's muscle! So don't fear the bulk.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Registered User DatTrolololsong's Avatar
    DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sounds to me like u just wanna burn off some fat. Do 30 mins cardio a day and you'll prob drop 15 lbs in 6-8 weeks. Any dietary changes will speed up the process.
    Great Dane crew
    Tarheels, panthers crew
    Never tasted semen crew

dawnmsaunders is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dawnmsaunders is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dawnmsaunders is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dawnmsaunders is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dawnmsaunders is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dawnmsaunders is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dawnmsaunders is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dawnmsaunders is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dawnmsaunders is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dawnmsaunders is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dawnmsaunders is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Nyergk View Post

for example :

triceps 5*10 + 2*5
    shoulder 5*10 + 2*5

+abs

Originally Posted by DatTrolololsong View Post
    Sounds to me like u just wanna burn off some fat. Do 30 mins cardio a day and you'll prob drop 15 lbs in 6-8 weeks. Any dietary changes will speed up the process.
    ................wut
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?

Bulk to Bikini Journal: t=159898911&p=1200540751#post1200540751
    ANSI (Closed): t=160616381&p=1216623541#post1216623541
    TSN (Closed): t=160616811&p=1216631611#post1216631611

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    There's more than one way to go about things, and it depends on what you want to prioritize.

However, in your case I think you will feel and look better if you prioritize fat loss in the beginning. This means cardio and caloric control. IE: Track your calories daily to ensure you are eating at or slightly below maintenance, and get on the treadmill (or whatever you prefer). This will shed some excess fat - which happens a lot faster then building muscle - so you will be able to see visible progress.

However, don't just do cardio. To eventually get a muscular body, you're going to also have to hit the weights. So I'd start with a full-body routine done 2-3 times a week to get you into the swing of how to do the exercises properly, and prepare you for when the fat level drops and you want to begin lifting more. What you might want to think about doing is something like this:

Week 1-4: 2 days lifting (Full Body Routine), 4 days cardio (30+ mins. of sweating your butt off, not reading magazines on the treadmill)
    Week 5-8: 3 days lifting (Full Body routine), 3 days cardio
    Week 9-12: 3 days lifting, adjust cardio based on how you're doing

Somewhere in here you'll probably have lost enough fat that you'll notice a visible change. Don't worry about getting down to the level of having visible abs or any of that, just enough that you've shed the excess pounds and are feeling motivated! At that point, change from caloric deficit to a slight caloric surplus and start just focusing on the lifting. You can still do a little cardio, but remember that you need to maintain a caloric excess to build muscle.

Remember, you don't have to do everything at once. Think of this not as a "diet" or a "program" that's going to be done for some period of time and then done. If you take the approach that it's a long-term, liftetime type activity, then you don't have to feel as rushed. Hard work in the gym pays off - you get out of it what you put into it, so don't just go through the motions.

It gets a lot easier once you get into the swing of it and develop good habits and routines.

Good luck.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Registered User DatTrolololsong's Avatar
    DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DatTrolololsong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you don't know any thing about working out it'll be best to start out with the basics and slowly add to your reportoir. That's why I said I'd just start doing 30 mins of cardio a day. Study the basics of dieting. Eat lots of protein and then when your ready work in some weight training. Dropping 15 lbs will give you some pretty quick feedback and motivate you to keep improving. It's kinda like a snowball effect.
    If you immediately start weight training it takes a lot longer to make muscle gains than losing fat and that in my opinion is why so many people do not last in the gym. Lack of results.
    Great Dane crew
    Tarheels, panthers crew
    Never tasted semen crew

Blixish is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blixish is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blixish is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blixish is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blixish is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blixish is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blixish is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blixish is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blixish is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blixish is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blixish is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by DatTrolololsong View Post
    If you don't know any thing about working out it'll be best to start out with the basics and slowly add to your reportoir. That's why I said I'd just start doing 30 mins of cardio a day. Study the basics of dieting. Eat lots of protein and then when your ready work in some weight training. Dropping 15 lbs will give you some pretty quick feedback and motivate you to keep improving. It's kinda like a snowball effect.
    If you immediately start weight training it takes a lot longer to make muscle gains than losing fat and that in my opinion is why so many people do not last in the gym. Lack of results.

I'm gonna just say it again........wut?

OP is under muscled and has fat to lose. Follow oregonchick's advice. It is really sound and if you can grow some patience it will work for you.