yadi98 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

gaining weight : (

Hi,
    basically short back story is im 26 yr. old female 5'2 155lb and BB.com states my bf is 28%, body type i would say is average ( meaning anyone looking at me wouldn't necessarily call me fat or over weight.. even though i am )
    anyways i tend to carry all my weight in the torso and chest. Im a type 1 diabetic, for those of you who think i got this cause i was fat or eating sweets that is incorrect. I got it when i was 8 and i was extremely fit as i was in track and field and basketball up until college, never had sodas or sweets but i digress. my dilemma is that i have worked out for the past month 6 days a week , according to various "calculators" i should be having an intake of 1200 calories for weight loss. Ive checked ot the stickies here for macro nutrients and such but im left scratching my head on how to calculate any of it, the posts kind of confuse me. So ive been on the 1200 cal / day eating veggies/fruit/chicken/fish, absolutely no red meat, obviously no sodas. I find that i went up in about 2 weeks from 150 to 157lb, after a 2 day consecutive break from the gym on the 4th week i dropped 2lb ? im still at 155 but i dont understand , im not losing inches as my pants sometimes fit tighter after my workouts? i figured it could be carbs so ive reduced my carbs to about 100/day. Since im diabetic they high intensity workouts i do both cardio and weight lifting make my blood sugar drop rapidly and i find i need a snack to finish my workout or face passing out, ive significantly reduced my insulin intake during workouts to try and curb this as well. therefore a keto diet isnt an option for me.

side note: no thyroid issues for anyone who was going to ask. normal tsh, t3 and t4 checked every 3 months by my endocrinologist

any advice as to why im putting on weight and what should i do would be greatly appreciated?

also my end goal is to have a fitness model like physique. i dont care how long it takes i just want a plan that will get me there

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There is only one way to gain weight: you take in more energy than you burn each day. Specific foods are meaningless; calories and macros determine fat loss.

If you were truly eating 1200 calories, you would be losing fat. So start here:

Counting calories accurately requires precision. Read these:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=148418313
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=154981223
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/13/op...tive.html?_r=0

DavidUnderhand will become famous soon enough. (+50) DavidUnderhand will become famous soon enough. (+50) DavidUnderhand will become famous soon enough. (+50) DavidUnderhand will become famous soon enough. (+50) DavidUnderhand will become famous soon enough. (+50) DavidUnderhand will become famous soon enough. (+50) DavidUnderhand will become famous soon enough. (+50) DavidUnderhand will become famous soon enough. (+50) DavidUnderhand will become famous soon enough. (+50) DavidUnderhand will become famous soon enough. (+50) DavidUnderhand will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    First off, I have no next to no knowledge of diabetes or thyroid conditions. That being said, dmacondal9 is right, you are not eating 1200 calories a day. I apologize if that sounds crude but you would be losing weight at a fairly quick speed (I'd estimate 2 pounds a week, if your stats and workout frequency are correct). Also, keep in mind these fitness models are fitness models (for the most part), not accountants, social workers, or taxi drivers. This is their full time job and they dedicate a lot of resources to their success. While it isn't unrealistic to look like a pro, you're talking many years, not months.
    Bench: 230. Squat:375. Deadlift:375. OHP:175 (Not Max). Pullup: +65. @165. 1/28/15

Akial has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you have introduced weightlifting fairly recently into your workouts your body could be putting on water weight to enhance the muscle healing process. Watch your calories, double check them and check back in 2 or 3 weeks!

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do you own a food scale OP?
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Weight gain over time is generally always the result of more calorie intake than expenditure. Metabolic problems may impact baseline expenditure, but fat gain over time still follows this rule.

With Diabetes Mellitus (both type 1 and 2), poor glycemic control usually makes people prone to weight loss. I've had patients who knew this and intentionally under treat their DM to lose weight. They lost weight, but more than a few of them ended up hospitalized for DKA. Very bad idea, but it demonstrates a point. Improved glycemic control may result in weight gain as the energy is being appropriately delivered into the cells where before it wasn't. Glycemic control is good. The weight gain is better tackled from a dietary standpoint: how to safely count calories and manage your diet without complicating your diabetes

Doctors are generally just as bad as everyone else at counting calories unless they make a strong effort. I know I was bad at it for a long time. No offense intended to you, but I would bet this is likewise true of you as well. You are likely eating far more calories than you think you are. We've all been there before, and I still find myself goofing up periodically.

With good control of your diabetes, you should be losing weight very quickly at 1200 a day. If you're not losing over time and it's beyond expected daily fluctuation the problem is in the counting of calories. I'd consult your endocrinologist and ask of there are any reputable nutritionists in their network. Nutrition and dietary consultation are so important to DM management I can almost promise you he'll have a few he can direct you to.

At the end of the day, it's always a matter of effective calorie balance in an out. Medical problems can complicate the process, but not break the mold. For DM, especially type 1, the most important thing for you is glucose control - but that doesn't mean you can't or won't find success. Your road is just going to he harder than it is for most other people.

Excess calories, regardless of source, contribute to fat gain.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by msm00b; 01-12-2014 at 06:16 PM.

Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I do the math I get about 1500 calories a day, and TDEE being a little under 2000.

OP if you don't own a food scale, you need to get one. Tracking calories is serious business, and little things add up fast. At one restaurant I added sauce and afterwards looked it up, that little bity amount of prepackaged sauce I added was 275 calories. Some things you don't think about come to bite you back in the rear. So you want to make sure you track everything meticulously.

ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by yadi98 View Post
    Hi,
    basically short back story is im 26 yr. old female 5'2 155lb and BB.com states my bf is 28%, body type i would say is average ( meaning anyone looking at me wouldn't necessarily call me fat or over weight.. even though i am )
    anyways i tend to carry all my weight in the torso and chest. Im a type 1 diabetic, for those of you who think i got this cause i was fat or eating sweets that is incorrect. I got it when i was 8 and i was extremely fit as i was in track and field and basketball up until college, never had sodas or sweets but i digress. my dilemma is that i have worked out for the past month 6 days a week , according to various "calculators" i should be having an intake of 1200 calories for weight loss. Ive checked ot the stickies here for macro nutrients and such but im left scratching my head on how to calculate any of it, the posts kind of confuse me. So ive been on the 1200 cal / day eating veggies/fruit/chicken/fish, absolutely no red meat, obviously no sodas. I find that i went up in about 2 weeks from 150 to 157lb, after a 2 day consecutive break from the gym on the 4th week i dropped 2lb ? im still at 155 but i dont understand , im not losing inches as my pants sometimes fit tighter after my workouts? i figured it could be carbs so ive reduced my carbs to about 100/day. Since im diabetic they high intensity workouts i do both cardio and weight lifting make my blood sugar drop rapidly and i find i need a snack to finish my workout or face passing out, ive significantly reduced my insulin intake during workouts to try and curb this as well. therefore a keto diet isnt an option for me.

side note: no thyroid issues for anyone who was going to ask. normal tsh, t3 and t4 checked every 3 months by my endocrinologist

any advice as to why im putting on weight and what should i do would be greatly appreciated?

also my end goal is to have a fitness model like physique. i dont care how long it takes i just want a plan that will get me there
    You are NOT eating 1200 calories per day. You simply aren't.

Thanks for advice i guess to better understand whats going on ill do a food diary and post it a week from now, no i do not own a food scale but ill look into getting one. I do not expect at all to look like the fitness models on this site without years of hardwork and dedication, so i guess what i meant to say was obtain a "fit" physique, lean with some ab definition nothing crazy you know what i mean, basically being able to walk on south beach without feeling like a whale ( i live in miami).

i dont view anyones advice as negative or harsh i also think i may be taking in extra calories in things i dont really count like a little bit of dressing in my salad ect., i see everything as constructive criticism so ill see to the appropriate changes and post my food diary at the end of the week.

Thanks

Originally Posted by msm00b View Post
    Weight gain over time is generally always the result of more calorie intake than expenditure. Metabolic problems may impact baseline expenditure, but fat gain over time still follows this rule.

With Diabetes Mellitus (both type 1 and 2), poor glycemic control usually makes people prone to weight loss. I've had patients who knew this and intentionally under treat their DM to lose weight. They lost weight, but more than a few of them ended up hospitalized for DKA. Very bad idea, but it demonstrates a point. Improved glycemic control may result in weight gain as the energy is being appropriately delivered into the cells where before it wasn't. Glycemic control is good. The weight gain is better tackled from a dietary standpoint: how to safely count calories and manage your diet without complicating your diabetes

Doctors are generally just as bad as everyone else at counting calories unless they make a strong effort. I know I was bad at it for a long time. No offense intended to you, but I would bet this is likewise true of you as well. You are likely eating far more calories than you think you are. We've all been there before, and I still find myself goofing up periodically.

With good control of your diabetes, you should be losing weight very quickly at 1200 a day. If you're not losing over time and it's beyond expected daily fluctuation the problem is in the counting of calories. I'd consult your endocrinologist and ask of there are any reputable nutritionists in their network. Nutrition and dietary consultation are so important to DM management I can almost promise you he'll have a few he can direct you to.

At the end of the day, it's always a matter of effective calorie balance in an out. Medical problems can complicate the process, but not break the mold. For DM, especially type 1, the most important thing for you is glucose control - but that doesn't mean you can't or won't find success. Your road is just going to he harder than it is for most other people.

Excess calories, regardless of source, contribute to fat gain.

Best of luck.

yes, i know some people who purposly go into dka to lose weight fast, big mistake as a new RN school grad i saw many many people in dialysis or with amputations from poor control. nooooooo thank you. i had poor control before and i was thinner at about 130lb the minute i got the insulin pump and got my sugar in better control i shot up 20lb and i havent been able to lose it since. my body is stuck in the 150's : ( but i would never jeopardize my health to get thinner