Location: Shrewsbury, England, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Jambo3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Powerlifting VS BodyBuilding

At the moment i am doing JasonDB's novice 5x5 routine which is powerlifting I THINK, am i right?

Anyway, i'm not the kind of person to look in the mirror and be miring myself all day long but, will Jason's routine show strength AND a lot of size or just mainly strength?

If it's MAINLY strength is there anything i can do to make it a "hybrid" of both, so i look great and be strong as hell?

Thanks once again for reading my crap

FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    it's both. Jason made his routine because he thought typical "strength" routines that people say newbies should do didn't have adequate volume for hypertrophy. So he made one with higher volume.

Also, there is no such thing as a good hypertrophy routine that doesn't place a heavy emphasis on getting strong as ****. IF you aren't trying to get super strong and training for strength, then your size gains will be minimal.
    The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president. You realize that you control your own destiny.

So you're saying the powerlifter will make more physical and visual gains than any other?

The only reason i'm asking is because my friend is being a pussy about what he wants to do and i'm trying to get him on board to this routine for a solid 12 months with no bull**** instead of some small 12 week program. I think long term, he thinks short term.

He also wants to do power lifting for 12 weeks and then go to a lower weight with higher reps for some silly reason, also, is it true that changing exercises will put your muscles in to some sort of "shock" and make more gains?

I just want to clear this up.

Thanks

oso0690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Remember: You don't see little boys benching 500lbs+ raw. You also don't see massive bodybuilders being pinned under 135 either. Sure, you can look a lot stronger or weaker than you actually are but they generally go hand-in-hand.

CutItUp9759 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CutItUp9759 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CutItUp9759 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CutItUp9759 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CutItUp9759 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CutItUp9759 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CutItUp9759 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CutItUp9759 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CutItUp9759 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CutItUp9759 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CutItUp9759 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by FeelTheFear View Post
    it's both. Jason made his routine because he thought typical "strength" routines that people say newbies should do didn't have adequate volume for hypertrophy. So he made one with higher volume.

Also, there is no such thing as a good hypertrophy routine that doesn't place a heavy emphasis on getting strong as ****. IF you aren't trying to get super strong and training for strength, then your size gains will be minimal.
    This

I also just came across this which is awesome. You are basically doing the A/B full body routine.

Awesome, +rep and will sub to this thread for future referance on that.

Also, could anybody answer this, "He also wants to do power lifting for 12 weeks and then go to a lower weight with higher reps for some silly reason, also, is it true that changing exercises will put your muscles in to some sort of "shock" and make more gains"

Thanks

grux12 is just really nice. (+1000) grux12 is just really nice. (+1000) grux12 is just really nice. (+1000) grux12 is just really nice. (+1000) grux12 is just really nice. (+1000) grux12 is just really nice. (+1000) grux12 is just really nice. (+1000) grux12 is just really nice. (+1000) grux12 is just really nice. (+1000) grux12 is just really nice. (+1000) grux12 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Jambo3 View Post
    Powerlifting VS BodyBuilding

parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In my opinion you should try PHAT you can change up the exercises ever 3-6 weeks if you stall, and its the best of both worlds You have 2 Power days and 3 "body building" days. The template is set up Upper Body Heavy, Lower Body Heavy, Shoulders and Back, Legs, and chest and arms. On the 2nd day of upper body and legs it is a speed day, but if you are not intrested in speed as I am you can change it to just another working day for the targeted exercise. For example instead of Bench Press 3x3 You can do 3x5 or 3x8 for example or even change the exercise to lets say Incline Barbell. Really the template is exactly that you can do literally what ever you want with the program and thats what I love about it.

I'm not really looking for another routine unless somebody can say that i will not look great after hard dedication to powerlifting.

parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parker1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if thats the case stick to your set routine sorry misread OP.

Originally Posted by parker1995 View Post
    if thats the case stick to your set routine sorry misread OP.
    No problem dude.

can anybody answer this, "He also wants to do power lifting for 12 weeks and then go to a lower weight with higher reps for some silly reason, also, is it true that changing exercises will put your muscles in to some sort of "shock" and make more gains"

bump for this question.

"He also wants to do power lifting for 12 weeks and then go to a lower weight with higher reps for some silly reason, also, is it true that changing exercises will put your muscles in to some sort of "shock" and make more gains"

DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    bump for this question.

"He also wants to do power lifting for 12 weeks and then go to a lower weight with higher reps for some silly reason, also, is it true that changing exercises will put your muscles in to some sort of "shock" and make more gains"
    No. For strength, you can train the accessory movements to the main lift in order to increase the main lift. If your friend wants to follow a powerlifting routine than he should follow it for an extensive period of time, not 12 weeks. You can change a routine once you continously stall on your main lifts and after you cut back your training 1rm.

Bellybrah.. cot u merin. GetFit4Basic's Avatar
    GetFit4Basic is just really nice. (+1000) GetFit4Basic is just really nice. (+1000) GetFit4Basic is just really nice. (+1000) GetFit4Basic is just really nice. (+1000) GetFit4Basic is just really nice. (+1000) GetFit4Basic is just really nice. (+1000) GetFit4Basic is just really nice. (+1000) GetFit4Basic is just really nice. (+1000) GetFit4Basic is just really nice. (+1000) GetFit4Basic is just really nice. (+1000) GetFit4Basic is just really nice. (+1000)
    bump for this question.

It is true. That is called periodization.

The changes will "shock" the muscles.

Training both strength and hypertrophy are important.. they feed on eachother.

More strength to lift heavier weight helping cause progressive overload for hypertrophy
    more muscle mass from hypertrophy helps gain strength
    more strength to lift.... etc.
    <--- Screams various Ronnie Coleman quotes while curling 15 pound DBs

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”

-How to rustle jimmies with facts: Tell "progressives" that the KKK was founded by southern democrats and the founder of planned parenthood is a racist eugenicist. Tell neocons that the founding fathers were liberals. (Albeit "classical liberals" but this dampers the rustling)

END THE FED END THE FED END THE FED END THE FED END THE FED END THE FED

FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FeelTheFear is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by CutItUp9759 View Post
    This

I also just came across this which is awesome. You are basically doing the A/B full body routine.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/U4fK658.png?1?3081[img]
    lol that was made by NZninja aka my homeboy
    The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president. You realize that you control your own destiny.

So you're saying the powerlifter will make more physical and visual gains than any other?

The only reason i'm asking is because my friend is being a pussy about what he wants to do and i'm trying to get him on board to this routine for a solid 12 months with no bull**** instead of some small 12 week program. I think long term, he thinks short term.

He also wants to do power lifting for 12 weeks and then go to a lower weight with higher reps for some silly reason, also, is it true that changing exercises will put your muscles in to some sort of "shock" and make more gains?

I just want to clear this up.

Thanks
    no, but a bodybuilder who shares a similar philosophy to a powerlifter but modified to a bodybuilding framework will get way more gains than some bodybuilder who just trains for "da pump"

InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    bump for this question.

Yes & no. There is no such thing as "muscle confusion". You cant confuse something that only does 2 things, contract & relax. However if you do something your not used to it will take your body time to adjust. Example all you do is squat heavy singles and then decide to do sets of 15.

Also lifting heavy =/= powerlifting, your speaking of strength training. While a huge side effect of powerlifting is strength, and powerlifting style programs can be used for strength gain.. powerlifting at its purest form is all about maximizing your leverages and completing the lift anyway possible while still conforming to the parameters of the rules. Konstantin konstantinov's deadlift is a perfect example of this, its meant to reduce to range of motion as much as possible in order to move the most weight. This would not be ideal for general strength or muscle development.

Originally Posted by GetFit4Basic View Post
    It is true. That is called periodization.

The changes will "shock" the muscles.
    No & no. You can not "shock" the muscles. Periodization is just slowly increasing demand on the body, and the body is adapting to this.
    My Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149612633

Crew Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157295413&p=1141543273#post1141543273

Da Utubez: http://www.youtube.com/user/Inspeckdadeck

DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by InspecktaDeck View Post
    Yes & no. There is no such thing as "muscle confusion". You cant confuse something that only does 2 things, contract & relax. However if you do something your not used to it will take your body time to adjust. Example all you do is squat heavy singles and then decide to do sets of 15.

Also lifting heavy =/= powerlifting, your speaking of strength training. While a huge side effect of powerlifting is strength, and powerlifting style programs can be used for strength gain.. powerlifting at its purest form is all about maximizing your leverages and completing the lift anyway possible while still conforming to the parameters of the rules. Konstantin konstantinov's deadlift is a perfect example of this, its meant to reduce to range of motion as much as possible in order to move the most weight. This would not be ideal for general strength or muscle development.
    And this^

Originally Posted by FeelTheFear View Post
    no, but a bodybuilder who shares a similar philosophy to a powerlifter but modified to a bodybuilding framework will get way more gains than some bodybuilder who just trains for "da pump"
    Is Jasons 5x5 like that? you seem to know exactly what you're talking about with what i want.

DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    In the past I followed a lot of strength / power lifting routines, then wanted to rip up.

This was my results, however i lost a lot of strength.