kronos666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kronos666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kronos666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kronos666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kronos666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kronos666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Body Weight Exercise For Sprinter - Strength Power Lean

I have been a sprinter for about 13 years and turning 19 this year.

I really like body weight exercises and would like to continue doing them. The problem is that I am a sprinter and cannot afford to gain weight. Right now I am 196cm(6.43 feet) tall and 91kg (201lb) and need to get down to 86kg(190lb).

Is there a way to continue doing body weight exercises such as dips and chin ups without putting on muscle mass, but rather gaining strength and power?

Cheers

Strength/Speed Coach Jhawk Fitness's Avatar
    Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by kronos666 View Post

I really like body weight exercises and would like to continue doing them. The problem is that I am a sprinter and cannot afford to gain weight. Right now I am 196cm(6.43 feet) tall and 91kg (201lb) and need to get down to 86kg(190lb).

Is there a way to continue doing body weight exercises such as dips and chin ups without putting on muscle mass, but rather gaining strength and power?

Cheers
    Try lowering volume but raising intensity.
    Director of Sports Performance
    NSCA-RSCC & CSCS , NASM-CES
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Vist www.TopSpeedTraining.com, also find us on social media:
    http://www.********.com/TopSpeedSportsPerformance
    Twitter & Instagram = @TopSpeedLLC

jchiller has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    iv done a fair amount of body weight training and haven't put on any real substantial amount of weight. i would try doing a high number of reps almost like your going through a cutting phase, and yes raise the intensity. remember to watch your diet too, it will have a big influence of what happens to your body.

Markoring has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Markoring has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Markoring has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Markoring has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Markoring has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Markoring has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Markoring has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Markoring has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Jhawk Fitness View Post
    Just a quick clarification as in Doing less weight but more sets but not really really less like maybe 10% off?

Does this work for everything or is it specif to body weight exercises

azz33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Markoring View Post
    Just a quick clarification as in Doing less weight but more sets but not really really less like maybe 10% off?

Does this work for everything or is it specif to body weight exercises
    Think he means do less reps (volume) but use more weight (intensity) you can easily add weight to bodyweight exercises to increase intensity.

Markoring has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Markoring has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Markoring has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Markoring has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Markoring has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Markoring has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Markoring has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Markoring has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you so much

jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by kronos666 View Post

Cheers

The best way to do this is to increase your muscle "twitch." To do this you need to have very high intensity and long rest periods. Increase the speed of the rep not the weight. Strength means nothing for sprinters, only power.

azz33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jonmd123 View Post
    The best way to do this is to increase your muscle "twitch." To do this you need to have very high intensity and long rest periods. Increase the speed of the rep not the weight. Strength means nothing for sprinters, only power.
    You do know power is just a product of strength and speed right? You need to develop both to become more powerful, depending on your weakness. If you haven't done alot of strength training but you've done alot of speed training then strength training will make a bigger difference to your power. Power = (force x distance) / time

jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by azz33 View Post
    You do know power is just a product of strength and speed right? You need to develop both to become more powerful, depending on your weakness. If you haven't done alot of strength training but you've done alot of speed training then strength training will make a bigger difference to your power. Power = (force x distance) / time
    Lets use your equation: power = (force x distance)/time: athlete #1 performs exercise with 200lbs in 4 seconds, athlete #2 performs exercise with 75lbs in 1 second. Which athlete is more powerful?

skaWhacky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lets use your equation: power = (force x distance)/time: athlete #1 performs exercise with 200lbs in 4 seconds, athlete #2 performs exercise with 75lbs in 1 second. Which athlete is more powerful?
    athlete 2 is more powerful obviously. i'll even do the math out for you:

athlete 1: 200 lbs. / 4 seconds = 50 lbs. / 1 second
    athlete 2: 75 lbs. / 1 second = 75 lbs. / 1 second

therefore, athlete 2 is more powerful than athlete 1 because he is stronger / unit time.

it's not that hard to figure out.

i'm going to assume that you're major isn't mathematics lol, or that you're still in high school.

Originally Posted by skaWhacky View Post
    athlete 2 is more powerful obviously. i'll even do the math out for you:

athlete 1: 200 lbs. / 4 seconds = 50 lbs. / 1 second
    athlete 2: 75 lbs. / 1 second = 75 lbs. / 1 second

therefore, athlete 2 is more powerful than athlete 1 because he is stronger / unit time.

it's not that hard to figure out.

i'm going to assume that you're major isn't mathematics lol, or that you're still in high school.

Thank you. Yes, you're right, mathematics was not my major.

mccoy19 is a name known to all. (+5000) mccoy19 is a name known to all. (+5000) mccoy19 is a name known to all. (+5000) mccoy19 is a name known to all. (+5000) mccoy19 is a name known to all. (+5000) mccoy19 is a name known to all. (+5000) mccoy19 is a name known to all. (+5000) mccoy19 is a name known to all. (+5000) mccoy19 is a name known to all. (+5000) mccoy19 is a name known to all. (+5000) mccoy19 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jchiller View Post
    iv done a fair amount of body weight training and haven't put on any real substantial amount of weight. i would try doing a high number of reps almost like your going through a cutting phase, and yes raise the intensity. remember to watch your diet too, it will have a big influence of what happens to your body.
    Terrible advice, sprinters want insane explosiveness and power. High reps doesnt work your fast twitch fibers, but more your slow twitch fibers. That would be the worst thing he could do at this point.
    Originally Posted by Jhawk Fitness View Post
    THIS X100
    Originally Posted by azz33 View Post
    Think he means do less reps (volume) but use more weight (intensity) you can easily add weight to bodyweight exercises to increase intensity.
    Exactly. I'd recommend you start lifting heavy with low reps and lots of recovery time. Stick to olympic lifts and things of that nature. Will help for sure.
    Disagree to this as well... you want to increase the weight and keep the reps low and explode the reps out. Don't keep the weight the same. Increase it. You want to get as strong as possible so you have an insane strength:weight ratio for sprinting.

I went to college on a sprinting/hurdling scholarship, that's my background behind what i say.

Absolutely you increase the weight but only after learning proper tempo. When you increase the speed of the exercise the weight becomes heavier, therefore you can not add weight from the start. Like you said it's all about becoming as strong as possible and as light as possible. What you're all missing is the fact that a byproduct of strength training is an increase in the size of the muscle. To be a good sprinter you must increase the number of motor units that fire every time the muscle contracts. An average athlete only fires around 70% of their motor units while performing a 1RM. That is why as professionals we do not care how much force you can apply over a course of 2-3 seconds we're concerned with how much force you can apply in 0.2-0.5 second.

With some of the logic on here every strongman or olympic lifter should be a world class sprinter.