Registered User BetThisOnesFree's Avatar
    BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100)

New to HIIT sprinting

Hey, this is my first post here. I recently have heard all the fuss about how sprinting is sooo much better than long distance running, so Ive decided to give it a try. Ive been sprinting for about a month now and have already started to feel very fatigued. I think its due to the sprints and the possibility that Im doing them too much. Heres what Ive been doing--

Every other day, I jog for 5 minutes, then sprint for 15 seconds and either walk slowly or sit down because of the nausua for 2 minutes. I repeat this as much as I can before I feel like I am going to throw up, which is usually around 5 times. Then I walk back to my townhouse as I experience a feeling that is literally exactly like being stoned off my ass.

The days inbetween sprinting I go to the gym and do muscle building using weights. Since I dont know anything about muscle building I just do every machine there is with about 15 reps for each muscle group, all 2 times. Then Im pretty tired afterwards but not at all dead.

So I dont really ever take breaks off.. thats probably bad.. but I wanted to hear from you guys. But also I want to know if since sprinting is sooo good and all, can I just do sprinting and thats it? Just sprinting and muscle building to get in tip top shape? Also, I did not feel fatigued like this 2 weeks ago, it gradually came on. I really just need advice, thanks

MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by BetThisOnesFree View Post
    Hey, this is my first post here. I recently have heard all the fuss about how sprinting is sooo much better than long distance running, so Ive decided to give it a try. Ive been sprinting for about a month now and have already started to feel very fatigued. I think its due to the sprints and the possibility that Im doing them too much. Heres what Ive been doing--

Every other day, I jog for 5 minutes, then sprint for 15 seconds and either walk slowly or sit down because of the nausua for 2 minutes. I repeat this as much as I can before I feel like I am going to throw up, which is usually around 5 times. Then I walk back to my townhouse as I experience a feeling that is literally exactly like being stoned off my ass.

The days inbetween sprinting I go to the gym and do muscle building using weights. Since I dont know anything about muscle building I just do every machine there is with about 15 reps for each muscle group, all 2 times. Then Im pretty tired afterwards but not at all dead.

So I dont really ever take breaks off.. thats probably bad.. but I wanted to hear from you guys. But also I want to know if since sprinting is sooo good and all, can I just do sprinting and thats it? Just sprinting and muscle building to get in tip top shape? Also, I did not feel fatigued like this 2 weeks ago, it gradually came on. I really just need advice, thanks
    First of all its ok that you feel tired after all these.
    What you need to change is:
    If you use the treadmill for running sprints, dont make everyday sprints on very high speed,
    you can alternate: one day high sprints and next day not so high sprint.
    But always use intervals, to kill the boredom.
    Use inclines, sprints. Combine them.
    Dont do static stretching before the running! only after the running, or if you lift after running, then make the static stretching after the lifting.

About the lifting:
    Do them only 3 times a week.
    Make only these exercises in the workout: squat, bench press, bent-over-rows, military press, deadlift, dips, pull-ups. Finish with hyper-extensions + sit-ups (make them weighted if its easy).
    Do 2-3 working sets, about 6-10 reps. If you make 10+ reps, add weight, not reps.
    Only use the barbell/dumbells. Not machines.

About cardio:
    6 times a week.
    Always make intervals, speed game+ incline game..
    On lifting days make the cardio after the lifting. Before only do light running 5-10 minutes.

And have fun!
    Last edited by MarkH86; 12-16-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Not enough information. What do you actually seek to accomplish? Being fatigued is likely more related to your diet and sleep habits. When I was around your age I ran track and we did a lot more running than that and it was 5 days a week.

Also your weight lifting habits sound pretty bad. 15 reps? Again, what exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

grappler05 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grappler05 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grappler05 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grappler05 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grappler05 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grappler05 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grappler05 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grappler05 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grappler05 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grappler05 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grappler05 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    check out AST Sports Science website. They have a workout program called Max-Ot which includes Hiit style cardio. Its a very structured program and pretty easy to follow. Also, in the IFBB forum on this site, Skip Lacour has a very large thread going (I think its in the stickies) which has a TON of great information on working out and cardio. If your body isnt used to sprinting, you very well could be suffering from 'overtraining'....I know it's hard, but remember to rest.

Registered User BetThisOnesFree's Avatar
    BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100) BetThisOnesFree is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
    Not enough information. What do you actually seek to accomplish? Being fatigued is likely more related to your diet and sleep habits. When I was around your age I ran track and we did a lot more running than that and it was 5 days a week.

Also your weight lifting habits sound pretty bad. 15 reps? Again, what exactly are you trying to accomplish here?
    Hey, in specific I want to look like a football player, lean, not big, and I want to be able to be in really good physical shape. For the reps what I meant is the gym I use has the typical array of different muscle targeting machines like triceps and biceps quads etc and I use all of them for 15 to 20 reps twice (like I go around to each station twice). After Im done Im not extremely sore or anything but my muscles feel kinda like rubber, to demonstrate the amount of exhertion I use on weights. I have rethought this and I think that my new question here is-- what is the best sprint to recovery ratio? Cuz 15 seconds to 2 minutes of recovery is probbably too easy to see results, and maybe I should try only a minute of recovery next time

skinnybigbelly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey, in specific I want to look like a football player, lean, not big, and I want to be able to be in really good physical shape. For the reps what I meant is the gym I use has the typical array of different muscle targeting machines like triceps and biceps quads etc and I use all of them for 15 to 20 reps twice (like I go around to each station twice). After Im done Im not extremely sore or anything but my muscles feel kinda like rubber, to demonstrate the amount of exhertion I use on weights. I have rethought this and I think that my new question here is-- what is the best sprint to recovery ratio? Cuz 15 seconds to 2 minutes of recovery is probbably too easy to see results, and maybe I should try only a minute of recovery next time
    By the sounds of your description you are over training with high intensity. you are a beginner to sprinting and as such you should treat your self from that point of view.

Just one question do you feel Nausea after just one sprint or is this due to multiple sprints say for example on the 4th sprint. If this is the case then you are going to have to do a little less and build your self up in stages. Remember stages will also show results as you progress as you body will not be used to this.

If doing sprints try going for 20 secs with a 40 sec break. So the ratio of break to do is 1:2. When doing these sprints you do not have to go at full speed you could for example do it at 80% of your max speed now this is not an exact figure. and try to do 4 sprints or 3 if you like and then add to this every week or even month depending on how you feel up to a maximum of 8 sprints.

Doing sprinting 2 times a week is enough for most training programs unless you are competing as a sprinter. If you are interested in being lean and muscular and healthy an all round routine would be of benefit to you.

With your gym sessions it sounds like you are doing too many individual routines in your program. A good guide to measure this would be the time you are spending for the whole session if you are going above 45 mins then this is too much for a life style fitness program. You should be doing no more than 3 sets per isolation exercise. For example 10 bicep curls repeated 3 time.

Sprinting and weight lifting are great but to get a good all round program you should also consider steady state exercise in your program such as a 5km run and do not believe the hype that this will stop muscle development it will not.

To sum it all up training for 5 days a week is perfectly for good all round fitness. Leave two days for weight lifting. two days for sprinting and one day for a long distance run for 5km to 25 km.

Example

Monday Sprinting

Tueday Weight training

Wed Long run

Thurs sprinting

Friday weights

Second example

Monday Sprinting

Tueday Weight training

Wed rest

Thurs sprinting

Friday weights

sat long run

sun rest

One day a week is even enough for sprinting and you could replace it with a power walk, run, circuit training.

With sprinting you should be look from 20 to 40 seconds.