olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Is 700 calorie deficit too much?

Just curious what everyones personal experience is on how low you can go - and keep it off in the long run; I've started cutting with a deficit from my maintenance of around 700 calories a day, I workout 4 times a week. Total calorie intake is around 1600 now.

kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevsworld will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can experiment and see. I think it may be a bit too low if your body fat levels are already low.

mke182b has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is something that is confusing me, surely the lower you go the more you lose? (in theory)

olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by mke182b View Post
    This is something that is confusing me, surely the lower you go the more you lose? (in theory)
    Mike, what I have read that scares me is certain studies that say if you go too low you just pack it all right back on - such as if you fast and lose weight its easy to gain back; at least thats what I read, who knows if there is all kinds of bro science going on there. So the point here is "long term success" - most studies point to a moderate diet plus cardio for long term success; again these are things I have read online, not vouching for them. Me personally I don't do cardio, I lift weights and control my eating.

The other thing you have to be afraid of is losing muscle if you go too low, so you want to walk a fine line; see my post below about protein.
    Last edited by olympicgs; 08-24-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Originally Posted by kevsworld View Post
    You can experiment and see. I think it may be a bit too low if your body fat levels are already low.
    Thanks, I was thinking maybe 1 month at the most then maybe go to 500 defiicit if I choose to continue; Iv'e been on this a week and seem to have enough energy at the gym still, and may have already lost 2 pounds if the scale I used was right.

Although, I am worrying about losing the muscle I just spent 6-months gaining on a careless bulk/see-food diet of sorts; right now I'm averaging around 130g protein a day, about 20g lower than my LBM - so 150g would be more ideal - but honestly I can't handle a strict enough diet to reach that as everything I touch would have to be protein, and I like to have a guiness now and then and starbucks daily. So I'm going to try this and cross my fingers that 130g keeps my muscle...

rnrice20 is just really nice. (+1000) rnrice20 is just really nice. (+1000) rnrice20 is just really nice. (+1000) rnrice20 is just really nice. (+1000) rnrice20 is just really nice. (+1000) rnrice20 is just really nice. (+1000) rnrice20 is just really nice. (+1000) rnrice20 is just really nice. (+1000) rnrice20 is just really nice. (+1000) rnrice20 is just really nice. (+1000) rnrice20 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by olympicgs View Post
    Thanks, I was thinking maybe 1 month at the most then maybe go to 500 defiicit if I choose to continue; Iv'e been on this a week and seem to have enough energy at the gym still, and may have already lost 2 pounds if the scale I used was right.

Although, I am worrying about losing the muscle I just spent 6-months gaining on a careless bulk/see-food diet of sorts; right now I'm averaging around 130g protein a day, about 20g lower than my LBM - so 150g would be more ideal - but honestly I can't handle a strict enough diet to reach that as everything I touch would have to be protein, and I like to have a guiness now and then and starbucks daily. So I'm going to try this and cross my fingers that 130g keeps my muscle...
    1600 calories will be tough to maintain, especially if you want starbucks and a guinness every now and then. I tried 1800 and it was tough to maintain for a long period of time.

absprint has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absprint has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absprint has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absprint has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absprint has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absprint has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absprint has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absprint has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absprint has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absprint has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) absprint has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    "SLOW IS STEADY; STEADY'S QUICK." -SEALs

Archangel43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I never go any more than 500 less because otherwise my body feels as if its starving and I drop weight quickly but then i gaines it all back when i stopped cutting weight. I definitely lose muscle tone also. But that's just preference.

LoveOvercomes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LoveOvercomes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LoveOvercomes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LoveOvercomes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LoveOvercomes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LoveOvercomes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LoveOvercomes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LoveOvercomes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LoveOvercomes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LoveOvercomes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LoveOvercomes has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would stick to only a deficit of 20% So if you are supposed to be at 2000 cals/day, you would only be consuming with a deficit 1600cals/day. Any more than that, yes, you will most likely be loosing muscle too.

Also, after your "cut" as you call it, if you keep on you're Maintenance cals, you should not just jump up in weight. ITS MAINTENANCE Cals, not a Deficit or More.

A good place for you to go, would be the Nutrition Forum and read ALL of the stickies.

jHop203 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jHop203 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jHop203 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jHop203 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jHop203 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jHop203 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jHop203 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jHop203 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jHop203 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jHop203 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jHop203 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just curious what everyones personal experience is on how low you can go - and keep it off in the long run; I've started cutting with a deficit from my maintenance of around 700 calories a day, I workout 4 times a week. Total calorie intake is around 1600 now.
    Try a 500 cal deficit so you can consume an adequate macros level. Burn an extra 200 cal by doing cardio.

dansari will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansari will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansari will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansari will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansari will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansari will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansari will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansari will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansari will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansari will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansari will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you stay at that deficit day in day out, you won't be able to prevent muscle loss (without pharma assistance). The only way to preserve muscle is to employ various "tricks" in order to partition (and cycle) your calories. Try reading the stickies in a couple of forums on this site on Ultimate Diet 2.0 and LeanGains.
    Supplement reviews, ratings, price comparisons, and ingredient database - www.Supplementarium.com - www.********.com/Supplementarium
    Only Android app dedicated to user-contributed supplement reviews - play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.substancereviews.android

wadelightheart will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadelightheart will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadelightheart will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadelightheart will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadelightheart will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadelightheart will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadelightheart will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadelightheart will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadelightheart will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadelightheart will become famous soon enough. (+50) wadelightheart will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Calorie deficit

Calorie deficit's are an interesting topic. Personally I have run calorie deficits much lower than 700 calories so I don't think it's a problem unless done long term. Also you can do a calorie spike day once per week which will generate super-compensation (muscle gain, glycogen retention) without adding fat provided your training is intense enough and of sufficient volume.

3-4 months would be the longest I would go on a deficit for. I once went 11 months preparing for the 2003 Universe on super low calories and I put on 42lbs in a 11 weeks after the contest. It took me another 4 months to get back into contest condition after that so we are talking a 7 month recovery.

I do regularly do cycle calories and training volume in my programs and for my clients depending on their goals, age, etc. Hope that helps. Stay Awesome! Wade
    Wade Lightheart
    3-Times Natural National Champion

Get the legendary $497 training system
    absolutely FREE. No strings attached:
    http://www.masszymes.com/FreeTrainingProgram/

adam4231 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If your calories are too low then your body will start storing the food you eat as fat. This is why even at a calorie deficit of 500 people still have a Re-feed/cheat day where the consume about 500-100 calories over maintenance about every 10 days. Atleast thats what ive learnt

MacGirl1906 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello (:

I am new to this but more than willing to do what it takes to lose weight, gain muscle, and maintain.

Here is some information about myself:
    -I am 26 (27 in Sept '15)
    -I weigh between 196-200lbs
    -I am 5'11"
    -I am female (just to clarify )

I would like to get down to 170lbs, hopefully by this summer (June / July -- preferably sooner but, I'll take whatever I can get!). I joined Planet Fitness in December and started going EVERY Monday through Thursday beginning mid-January. I do 30-60 min of cardio and 25-30 min of weigh-lifting. My target areas are the insides of my thighs, my "bingo arm" flab, and my gut. I have yet, though, to begin any sort of "ab workout"--probably a good reason I'm not seeing super results.

My main question is... I bought a fitbit to get my ass in gear, so to speak. Having it reminds me to walk, workout, get my butt out of my desk chair at work and DO. I also have the aria scale which allows me to track weigh-ins every day, easily. I am not measuring my body (hips, waist, arms, thighs, etc), I'm not concerned. My concern is, however, calorie intake.

My fitbit bases my intake allowance off of a deficit of 700 calories. I have a LOT of fat, can't image 700 calories is TOO HORRIBLE. I eat normal meals, each around 400 calories. Snack in between on cashews, greek yogurt, fruit, and occasionally, fruit snacks. I have started trying to eat a protein bar pre-workout to see if that helps. I also, as of last week, cut all red meat from my diet. Eating chicken and ground turkey now. I do not find that I eat "badly". I don't munch on junk foods. However, I HAVE NOT lost any pounds for nearly 4 months. Even with the increase in physical activity, not losing. WHY!?!

Any insight on what to do would be fantastic. I can tell my "arm flab" is going away more and more each week (which is GREAT), but I need direction as to how I shed to pounds. I want to do everything the RIGHT way so that I can keep it off, permanently.

Thanks,
    Kristina

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You have to reduce your calorie intake. It's that simple, there is no other explanation for weight remaining same over 4 months. Calorie intake == Calorie expenditure -> weight stays the same.

killox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) killox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) killox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) killox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) killox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) killox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) killox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) killox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) killox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) killox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) killox is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Try taking your LBM and x that by 31. This is the maximum calorie deficient you can go before cutting into muscle loss.
    **NASM Certified Personal Trainer**

Supplement Reviews

Aminoject Log-http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168505173&p=1382561373#post1382561373

MuscleTech Fish Oil/Iso-Zero log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167230851

JenW1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JenW1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JenW1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JenW1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JenW1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JenW1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JenW1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JenW1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JenW1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JenW1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JenW1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    700 is quite a low imo...might do more bad to your body than good but experiment and see how it goes

kvntng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvntng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvntng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvntng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvntng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvntng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvntng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvntng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvntng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvntng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kvntng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I feel like it's a little too much. Like people above mentioned, I never go past 500 cal deficit. 700 is probably in the range of burning muscle along with fat imo

Jhf112123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There's a difference between the number of calories you're eating, vs burning. Most things I've read say you should not eat less than 500 calories below your maintenance. But then exercise as much as you like.

I have been burning 200-800 calories a day (running, walking, hiking, weight training 3x per week) and eating at a 500 calorie deficit for 3 full months. I've lost almost 30lbs of fat and look much more muscular.

Once you hit your target physique, then train to maintain and eat at maintenance.

Good luck!!

FaronLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FaronLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FaronLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FaronLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FaronLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FaronLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FaronLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FaronLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FaronLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FaronLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FaronLB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A 700 calorie deficit is WAY too much especially if you are only eating 1600 calories a day.

And I think your calculations are a bit off.

If you are working out 4X a week (depending on HOW you work out)....

2300 calories to maintain your weight seems a little low to me. I would say more around 2800-3000.

Therefore, I think you should actually decrease your deficit by about 300 calories to start.

So, I would start at 2,000 calories a day for right now and see what happens. Then, go from there.

AARPPlus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MacGirl1906 View Post
    Hello (:

I am new to this but more than willing to do what it takes to lose weight, gain muscle, and maintain.

Here is some information about myself:
    -I am 26 (27 in Sept '15)
    -I weigh between 196-200lbs
    -I am 5'11"
    -I am female (just to clarify )

I would like to get down to 170lbs, hopefully by this summer (June / July -- preferably sooner but, I'll take whatever I can get!). I joined Planet Fitness in December and started going EVERY Monday through Thursday beginning mid-January. I do 30-60 min of cardio and 25-30 min of weigh-lifting. My target areas are the insides of my thighs, my "bingo arm" flab, and my gut. I have yet, though, to begin any sort of "ab workout"--probably a good reason I'm not seeing super results.

My main question is... I bought a fitbit to get my ass in gear, so to speak. Having it reminds me to walk, workout, get my butt out of my desk chair at work and DO. I also have the aria scale which allows me to track weigh-ins every day, easily. I am not measuring my body (hips, waist, arms, thighs, etc), I'm not concerned. My concern is, however, calorie intake.

My fitbit bases my intake allowance off of a deficit of 700 calories. I have a LOT of fat, can't image 700 calories is TOO HORRIBLE. I eat normal meals, each around 400 calories. Snack in between on cashews, greek yogurt, fruit, and occasionally, fruit snacks. I have started trying to eat a protein bar pre-workout to see if that helps. I also, as of last week, cut all red meat from my diet. Eating chicken and ground turkey now. I do not find that I eat "badly". I don't munch on junk foods. However, I HAVE NOT lost any pounds for nearly 4 months. Even with the increase in physical activity, not losing. WHY!?!

Any insight on what to do would be fantastic. I can tell my "arm flab" is going away more and more each week (which is GREAT), but I need direction as to how I shed to pounds. I want to do everything the RIGHT way so that I can keep it off, permanently.

Thanks,
    Kristina
    If you have been going to a doctor for annual physicals with blood work, then all the advise here to help you is great! If you haven't you might want to get your thyroid checked. It if you are hypothyroid, you can work out till you are blue in the face, and not see any results. I have seen it many times with my young female customers. Hence the old saying "Always check with your doctor before you start an exercise regime."
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Harold R. Mcalindon

Morti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Morti will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What is your bf %?

drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    700 calories a day, in and of itself, is not too much of a deficit. In your case, if you're pretty sure your maintenance is accurate at 2300. You're deficit is 30% which is very aggressive. I'd probably do a 20% deficit if you wanna go hard.

What I've learned is that consistency is the biggest factor. Binging on a ton of sugar one day can wreck an entire week's progress.

Tap29 is not very well liked. (-100) Tap29 is not very well liked. (-100) Tap29 is not very well liked. (-100) Tap29 is not very well liked. (-100) Tap29 is not very well liked. (-100) Tap29 is not very well liked. (-100) Tap29 is not very well liked. (-100) Tap29 is not very well liked. (-100) Tap29 is not very well liked. (-100) Tap29 is not very well liked. (-100) Tap29 is not very well liked. (-100)
    If you can mentally do it go for it
    Chances are slim most people struggle with 400 deficit

WeakToBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WeakToBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WeakToBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WeakToBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WeakToBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WeakToBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WeakToBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WeakToBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WeakToBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WeakToBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tap29 View Post
    If you can mentally do it go for it
    Chances are slim most people struggle with 400 deficit
    3 Years late :P