Zalay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

40/40/20 question

Hi, so my bulking phase is finally coming soon (about 3-4 weeks still of intense cutting keto diet). However, after that, I'm going for straight lean muscle mass gain, and I have a couple questions that need answering before I jump into it.

First of, is 40/40/20 still the way to go to gain lean muscle mass while minimizing fat loss?
    Also, if my required caloric intake to maintain weight is off about 2700, how many calories should I aim for on a regular bulking day? Should eating only 300 or 500 over it will ensure some muscle gains while limiting the fat gain? Should going 1000 or even 1500 over my daily needs too much (will it results in more of a fat gain then a muscle gain)?
    I have some malto left from previous bulking phase, is a 24g protein with 36 grams of carb (matlo) a good PWO?
    Finally, but most importantly, I know myself, and I know that as soon as I finish my cutting phase, my brain will demand some simple sugars. So I was wondering, if I make sure to hit my macros (40/40/20) but that say 50% of my carbs are from dessert junk food (chocolate cookies, homemade cake, ice cream, etc.) will I really diminish my results?

Thank you

PedroAntonio will become famous soon enough. (+50) PedroAntonio will become famous soon enough. (+50) PedroAntonio will become famous soon enough. (+50) PedroAntonio will become famous soon enough. (+50) PedroAntonio will become famous soon enough. (+50) PedroAntonio will become famous soon enough. (+50) PedroAntonio will become famous soon enough. (+50) PedroAntonio will become famous soon enough. (+50) PedroAntonio will become famous soon enough. (+50) PedroAntonio will become famous soon enough. (+50) PedroAntonio will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Your body doesn't care where your macros come from. I don't see why you'd fill 50% of your intake with junk food, but that's your call. It won't impact your body composition, though it might be tough to hit your macros and micros if that much of your intake is junk.

I don't advocate going over 500 calories over your maintenance as your body can only build a certain amount of muscle and any more calories will only be stored as fat, thus limiting the amount muscle you can build before cutting again. 300-500 over your maintenance is just fine and gives you plenty of room to eat the stuff you want.

40/40/20 works just fine while bulking as you'll no doubt hit your protein and fat targets.

PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bulking: 40/40/30
    Cutting: 50/20/20

You should read the stickies at the top of the page to calculate macros.

mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Disregard ratios, acquire macros based on LBM.

Start here to get a better idea for calculations:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981
    You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.

[IIFYM/Flexible Dieting Crew] - It ain't that hard dummy..

[Former 300+ Crew]

*** Fitness Advice, Tech Reviews and more: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattypaus?feature=guide

Zalay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Alright thx for quick response

Lift, Eat, Sleep. Repeat. BDeblo's Avatar
    BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Zalay View Post
    Should going 1000 or even 1500 over my daily needs too much (will it results in more of a fat gain then a muscle gain)?
    You will find in the stickies that you should consume between a 10-20% surplus to limit fat gains
    I have some malto left from previous bulking phase, is a 24g protein with 36 grams of carb (matlo) a good PWO?
    see http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=123915821
    meal timing and nutrition partitioning is far less important and mostly irrelevant when taken out of a daily diet. get your macros straight and just assure you achieve sufficiency, when you do so doesn't matter

Finally, but most importantly, I know myself, and I know that as soon as I finish my cutting phase, my brain will demand some simple sugars. So I was wondering, if I make sure to hit my macros (40/40/20) but that say 50% of my carbs are from dessert junk food (chocolate cookies, homemade cake, ice cream, etc.) will I really diminish my results?
    once your macros are correct you will have some leadway to consume less than nutrient dense foods. One's diet should be based on minimally processed, whole foods to ensure good health, but a limited amount of "junk" food wont hurt. All things in moderation so 50% of your carbs may be a little much to sustain, but one day like this wont hurt you.

Thank you
    ^embedded
    Ditch your meal plan and develop a diet that combines sound nutrition with the foods you enjoy by eating when you see fit in the portions that allow you to achieve your macronutrient and caloric needs while providing sufficient micronutrients, energy and satiety. One can never forget that nutrition is a tool, not a restraint; the enjoyment of life should always come first. Psychological, sociological and emotional health should never be threatened by the attempt to increase physiological health.