FinFangFoom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Decline Bench Press

What are your opinions on the decline bench press? Many people think it gives you boobs, other look at it as a great exercise for chest mass. What do you think? Thanks

Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Probably the best exercise for chest mass imo

Coming from someone who had awful chest development to start with.. and Dorian Yates..
    We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.

~ William Ralph Inge

fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Aggressive View Post

Coming from someone who had awful chest development to start with.. and Dorian Yates..
    I never really did decline but tried it last week and think Imma gonna keep it in the rotation awhile

How do you do your decline??

dumbell,smith??

we dont have a decline bench at my gym
    I never rep back

Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Aggressive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by fitmember View Post
    I never really did decline but tried it last week and think Imma gonna keep it in the rotation awhile

How do you do your decline??

dumbell,smith??

we dont have a decline bench at my gym

Wouldnt use a smith for it as you should be going quite heavy. Either decline bb bench on a relatively shallow decline (20-30deg ish). Or you could use dumbells, but I find with the barbell I can isolate the pecs more. Depends how you like it.

Do both bb & db if you can
    We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.

~ William Ralph Inge

fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wouldnt use a smith for it as you should be going quite heavy. Either decline bb bench on a relatively shallow decline (20-30deg ish). Or you could use dumbells, but I find with the barbell I can isolate the pecs more. Depends how you like it.

Do both bb & db if you can
    cheers...guess its db since the gym doesnt have a decline bench station
    I never rep back

superfrik1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superfrik1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superfrik1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superfrik1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superfrik1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superfrik1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superfrik1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superfrik1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superfrik1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superfrik1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) superfrik1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I like it. But it is a bit impractical; takes some time to set it up and the dudes at the gym look at you as if you're crazy

Quaaaads is not very well liked. (-100) Quaaaads is not very well liked. (-100) Quaaaads is not very well liked. (-100) Quaaaads is not very well liked. (-100) Quaaaads is not very well liked. (-100) Quaaaads is not very well liked. (-100) Quaaaads is not very well liked. (-100) Quaaaads is not very well liked. (-100) Quaaaads is not very well liked. (-100) Quaaaads is not very well liked. (-100) Quaaaads is not very well liked. (-100)

I agree. Throw in decline db flyes and You'll pack on mass
    Natural squats
    715 X 1
    600 X 10
    500 X 20
    405 X 30
    225 X 725 in3 1/2 hours (smith machine)

trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Quaaaads View Post
    I agree. Throw in decline db flyes and You'll pack on mass

Hrmmm interesting timing, may swap out my flat fly for declined... give her a shot for a bit...
    --
    Knows a trial lawyer who knows how to defend himself in an online forum.

ajm133 is just really nice. (+1000) ajm133 is just really nice. (+1000) ajm133 is just really nice. (+1000) ajm133 is just really nice. (+1000) ajm133 is just really nice. (+1000) ajm133 is just really nice. (+1000) ajm133 is just really nice. (+1000) ajm133 is just really nice. (+1000) ajm133 is just really nice. (+1000) ajm133 is just really nice. (+1000) ajm133 is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you're gym isn't well set up for decline bench couldn't you just do Dips/Weighted Dips. They should offer a similar sort of stimulation.

Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think decline bench is an excellent exercise, however it can be quite hard on your shoulders. So if you have had a lot of shoulder issues i would avoid it. If not, go for it!

SIG4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SIG4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SIG4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SIG4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SIG4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SIG4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SIG4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SIG4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SIG4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SIG4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SIG4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Magicbox View Post
    I think decline bench is an excellent exercise, however it can be quite hard on your shoulders. So if you have had a lot of shoulder issues i would avoid it. If not, go for it!
    Um......no. Decline is easier on the shoulders than flat or incline. OP, anyone who thinks decline gives you "boobs" is an idiot.

ThePh0enix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePh0enix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePh0enix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How many decline press sets should be done ? currently i do 3 sets of DB flat bench press and 4 sets of incline BB press 8-10 reps
    Take chances and never regret. Today is the youngest you will ever be.

Your Ambition OurNutition TeamDymatize's Avatar
    TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I love decline benching. I used it for a long time as my main chest exercise and it did more for my chest than anything else. I like to bring the bar down to my upper chest when doing it.
    Dymatize Nutrition
    http://www.dymatize.com/
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/dym/dym.htm

rbt is just really nice. (+1000) rbt is just really nice. (+1000) rbt is just really nice. (+1000) rbt is just really nice. (+1000) rbt is just really nice. (+1000) rbt is just really nice. (+1000) rbt is just really nice. (+1000) rbt is just really nice. (+1000) rbt is just really nice. (+1000) rbt is just really nice. (+1000) rbt is just really nice. (+1000)
    i do chest dips. Safer and mimics the the decline bench movement

Registered User CaptainGorgeous's Avatar
    CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Decline is great, especially for people who don't get a lot of chest stimulation from flat bench. But if flat bench works for you, decline will be redundant.

Personally, flat bench doesn't do a whole lot for me, so I use declines as my primary chest exercise.

activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    “The decline press is a rather useless exercise because the angle of the body in the decline position shortens the distance the bar can travel, decreasing the amount of work done in respect to the distance the load moves. This has the effect of increasing the weight that can be used in the exercise by decreasing its difficulty. This leads to inflated perceptions of one’s ability, and is essentially masturbation, much like that which is possible with a 30 degree leg press or a half-squat. It gets recommended for its effects on the “lower pecs”; dips perform this function much more effectively, which at the same involving more muscle mass, more balance and coordination, and more nervous system activity… Declines are dangerous because if their point of contact on the lower sternum gets missed, the next stop is the throat. Couple this with heavy weight and a lousy spotter, and you might have a really bad “chest” workout.”

-Mark Rippetoe ( Starting Strength, Second Edition, pg. 234)

Thanks for your help everyone, the most common opinion I've found is that it's a great compound exercise for your chest and building mass is my #1 goal right now so I think I'll add it to my exercises.

nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzmusclez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Lol I got negged in a thread because I said I did decline...

I love decline, Just like many say incline is a great chest builder - decline is also a great chest builder - would never not consider it.

I do all 3 (Flat, Decline and Incline)

thanks

armsonly is on a distinguished road. (+10) armsonly is on a distinguished road. (+10) armsonly is on a distinguished road. (+10) armsonly is on a distinguished road. (+10) armsonly is on a distinguished road. (+10) armsonly is on a distinguished road. (+10) armsonly is on a distinguished road. (+10) armsonly is on a distinguished road. (+10) armsonly is on a distinguished road. (+10) armsonly is on a distinguished road. (+10) armsonly is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Try both. This guy only does incline work: no flat, no decline

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by activeseven View Post
    “The decline press is a rather useless exercise because the angle of the body in the decline position shortens the distance the bar can travel, decreasing the amount of work done in respect to the distance the load moves. This has the effect of increasing the weight that can be used in the exercise by decreasing its difficulty. This leads to inflated perceptions of one’s ability, and is essentially masturbation, much like that which is possible with a 30 degree leg press or a half-squat. It gets recommended for its effects on the “lower pecs”; dips perform this function much more effectively, which at the same involving more muscle mass, more balance and coordination, and more nervous system activity… Declines are dangerous because if their point of contact on the lower sternum gets missed, the next stop is the throat. Couple this with heavy weight and a lousy spotter, and you might have a really bad “chest” workout.”

-Mark Rippetoe ( Starting Strength, Second Edition, pg. 234)
    There was no need for that quote.

We already know he can be a big idiot when talking about bodybuilding.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

Krayg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great exercise, I just started doing decline BB and DB's and I can definently feel it I do find it to be easier on the shoulders and also I lift more. Also nobody uses the decline bench at my gym so it's always free I have always done dips (weighted) as well.

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Never found it remotely necessary. However with the arch I put on flat, I am essential doing a decline press anyway.
    "Do not subordinate fundamental principles to minor details."

Physiotherapy instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/dayyan.physio/

TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i think it is good to include in a routine, but i prefer to make incline db bench or flat bb bench the cornerstone of my routine. Decline is a shorter ROM and I tend to get less out of it. Also I prefer to bench with a slight powerlifting style meaning i also use a leg drive, which you cannot do on decline bench