Registered User cosmokramer1990's Avatar
    cosmokramer1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Right calf smaller than the left calf: how to balance things out?

About ten years ago, I tore my right Achilles tendon and had to have it surgically repaired. Since then, my right calf has remained somewhat smaller than my left calf. No matter how much I train my calves, the right one continues to lag in size.

Has anyone here experienced a similar issue and figured out how to correct the size imbalance? If so, how were you able to do so?

Would it help to do one-legged seated calf raises, with 5+ more reps per set for the right calf? Or maybe add slightly more weight when working out the right calf?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Leoschanel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leoschanel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leoschanel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leoschanel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leoschanel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leoschanel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leoschanel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leoschanel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leoschanel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leoschanel is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leoschanel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    single leg calf raise i wouldnt try adding more wieght it might injure it maybe adding the reps will help

Originally Posted by Leoschanel View Post
    single leg calf raise i wouldnt try adding more wieght it might injure it maybe adding the reps will help
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Appreciate your feedback.

Any other suggestions out there?

I wonder if my right calf's capacity for maximum growth was permanently stunted by the two months it spent atrophying in a cast while my leg was healing from Achilles surgery. Not to mention, I had to compensate with my left (uninjured) leg during all that time, which probably added to the size imbalance.

12-13-13 RIP C.D & K.P. bubbachunks's Avatar
    bubbachunks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bubbachunks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bubbachunks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bubbachunks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bubbachunks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bubbachunks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by cosmokramer1990 View Post
    I wonder if my right calf's capacity for maximum growth was permanently stunted by the two months it spent atrophying in a cast while my leg was healing from Achilles surgery. Not to mention, I had to compensate with my left (uninjured) leg during all that time, which probably added to the size imbalance.
    My dad has the same thing from football when he was younger---Healing goes either way, it causes the muscles to be smaller and weaker, or to be bigger and stronger. In that area of the body, it's unfortunately more prevalent stunted growth. But yeah, the only effective way is to keep exercising your right calf more than your left.