guardian29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Body weight exercises and bulking

Hey guys, so i have decided id like to do strictly body weight exercises from now on. Here is my scenario, i am 6'2" 160lbs and I am in the USCG and leave for Rescue Swimmer training in about 6 months. What i notice most about the AST's i see is they are not huge guys, just incredibly fit and conditioned. I am a marathon runner and state swimmer so i have that side down already. Id like to get bigger and with only body weight. As i said these guys dont hardly lift much at all, and for training they just recommend basics, pushups sit ups etc. I would like to do some type of body weight circuit but still be able to bulk up a little. Maybe some crossfit type stuff. Let me know what you guys think would be best to prepare for this training.

guardian29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bump. Anyone?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    This is a misconception. It is simply not the case that bodyweight makes you "lean and toned" and freeweights make you "big and bulky" - that distinction is purely down to diet.

Bodyweight exercises are simply another form of resistance training that may or may not be effective depending on how many reps you can do. Chins for example will go a long way to improving your back before you have to add weight. Pushups however are too easy and most people will get very little muscular development from them unless someone is loading plates onto their back.

Generally, if you can do more than 15 reps in a single all out set, the exercise is too light.

If you want to be "lean and toned", get stronger using weights and alternate between doing mass gain (hi calorie) and fat loss (lo calorie) cycles.

OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by guardian29 View Post
    Hey guys, so i have decided id like to do strictly body weight exercises from now on. Here is my scenario, i am 6'2" 160lbs and I am in the USCG and leave for Rescue Swimmer training in about 6 months. What i notice most about the AST's i see is they are not huge guys, just incredibly fit and conditioned. I am a marathon runner and state swimmer so i have that side down already. Id like to get bigger and with only body weight. As i said these guys dont hardly lift much at all, and for training they just recommend basics, pushups sit ups etc. I would like to do some type of body weight circuit but still be able to bulk up a little. Maybe some crossfit type stuff. Let me know what you guys think would be best to prepare for this training.
    Hey man, not 100% sure what u are asking but.. I think body weight exercises are great and you can definitely put on some size.. mind you not really on the legs. Basically id recommend
    Chin ups
    revers grip pull ups ( for bi's
    push ups
    dips
    calf raises
    ab work
    lunges
    rows body weight ( ie on smith machine or something similar)
    bodyweight squats
    (there's heaps of other exercises to add you can find them online you may want to include some hamstring and direct shoulder exercises)

That sort of stuff will really get you into great shape, especially the chin up work. You will put on some size for sure, especially if you eat right and will have a amazing platform to then do other exercises with weights if you want to. Id love to hear how you go bro, im about to do something similar due to shoulder injuries.. need to get back into shape. Good luck