Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    It's Just the Beginning BulkingForever's Avatar
    BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Lightbulb BulkingForever's 2 Year Bulk Workout Log 2/2012-1/2014

Sup guys. My name is Christian, I'm 17, and I love bodybuilding!! I had another log in this section, but I didn't like the opening of the log especially if I was going to have this log for 2 years.

I have been lifting for a year but didn't really know what I was doing until recently. I wouldn't say I wasted last year, but I was defintely not doing everything in an optimal manner. In my old log, I went into a rant of how my mononucleosis is why my lifts aren't where they are supposed to be, but I'm sick of excuses. It is time to get real about this sh!t.

All Time PR's
    285 Flat Barbell Bench Press
    275 Barbell Squat
    405 Conventional Deadlift

Training
    The training split I will be using for the next two years will most likely be the following

Day 1: Legs
    Day 2: Upper Push
    Day 3: Upper Pull (deadlifts every other workout)
    Day 4: Rest
    Repeat

I usually structure my workouts with a compound strength movement on which i focus on progressive overload and then 1-2 hypertrophy compound movement(s) and then 1-2 isolation movement(s). You will see what I mean when I post workouts, but overall I like to keep my workouts flexible and somewhat changing. As long as I am gaining weight and adding weight to the compound lifts, I am happy.

Diet
    As far as diet goes, I'm a huge fan of IIFYM(which I recently discovered) and my macros are looking like 220p/450c/80f right now weighing 163. I included my daily IIFYM diet in an attachment. For those who say that this is still relatively clean, these are the foods I enjoy eating sooo.....yeah. How IIFYM has helped me is fitting all my calories into 4 meals a day )I'm even thinking of going 3 huge meals a day. we will see.

On a miscellaneous note, sleep can be mentioned here. I am very good about getting 8 hours of sleep per night.

Goals
    Short-term 8/2012
    285 bench, 315 squat, 405 deadlift
    Mid-term 1/2013
    315 bench, 365 squat, 455 deadlift
    Long-term 1/2014
    345 bench, 420 squat, 515 deadlift

I don't think I'm missing anything else unless anyone can think of anything so that will conclude this post.
    Attached Images
    You want to beat me, don't miss a meal, because I won't. Don't quit on a set because I'll always be one set ahead of you. Don't walk out of my gym without leaving your guts spilled on the floor because you can bet your ass, I won't.
    Hardcore brother. COME ON!!!

Follow my log 2/2012-1/2014:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142743611
    I'm gonna show YOU how great I am

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkingForever is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So today was a Upper Pull Workout
    Hours of sleep last night: 10

Weighted Pullups
    BWx6
    BWx8
    BW+15x5
    BW+15x5
    BW+25x5
    BW+25x5

Low Cable Row
    100x8
    120x8
    140x8

Underhand Lat Pulldown
    100x12
    100x12
    120x12

EZ Bar Preacher Curls
    45x12
    55x12
    55x12

Notes
    Workout Duration 50 min
    Today was a pretty good workout. Had a great pump and I am really starting to like weighted pullups. I didn't have my stop watch with me so I might have messed up on rest periods which usually make my upper workouts around 5 min shorter. not a big deal though. Looking forward to legs tomorrow!
    Last edited by BulkingForever; 03-02-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added picture
    You want to beat me, don't miss a meal, because I won't. Don't quit on a set because I'll always be one set ahead of you. Don't walk out of my gym without leaving your guts spilled on the floor because you can bet your ass, I won't.

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    No barbell/pendlay/tbar rows? I am unimpressed.
    No shrugs?

Originally Posted by comps View Post
    No barbell/pendlay/tbar rows? I am unimpressed.
    No shrugs?
    lol
    1. My gym does not have a T-bar row machine/set-up. I'm pretty bummed about that.
    2. Barbell rows are very easy to cheat on so I'm not a huge fan
    3. Pendlay rows I do fairly regularly I just didn't do them in this workout although I probably should have since I did not deadlift today. Good point
    4. Shrugs are kinda redundant IMO in a back workout. Your traps are already being worked plenty. But perhaps it might be nice to throw in 3 sets of shrugs on days where I don't deadlift.

Thanks for that post! It gave me some things to think about regarding how to go about my pull day

Note: I use to do deadlifts on lower body power days but since squatting twice a week is a must for me, I'm forced to move them to pulls.

I hope next workout won't be so disappointing

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

LEG DAY

Squats
    Bar x ?? alot
    135x10
    185x5
    205x5
    225x3
    245x1
    185x5
    185x5
    155x12
    155x10
    155x10

Sitting Leg Curl
    70x10
    80x10
    90x10
    80x10

Notes: I was actually upset with this workout today. My squats need some serious help. I always blamed bad genetics for my crappy legs but I really this this is a form issue. I have the tendency to feel like I'm falling forward when I squat. I read somewhere that my hips might not be flexible enough? Doing squats kinda feels like goodmornings at this point and my back is hurting more than my legs...if anyone could help I would really appreciate it

Also I was so F***ing tired from squats I simply did not have the energy to do calves.
    Attached Images

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You might not be squatting through your heels.
    Flexibility issues normally affect your depth.

If your back hurts, then you are probably losing your arch during the exercise.

You might not be squatting through your heels.
    Flexibility issues normally affect your depth.

If your back hurts, then you are probably losing your arch during the exercise.
    reps

I think the problem is rooted in that I don't squat through my heels since I also lose my arch from being too forward...next leg day I'll get a video up for help. Any suggestions you may have?

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

Originally Posted by BulkingForever View Post
    reps

I think the problem is rooted in that I don't squat through my heels since I also lose my arch from being too forward...next leg day I'll get a video up for help. Any suggestions you may have?
    Break at the hip.
    Squatting and is a very natural motion.
    Pretend you're squatting onto your toilet.

GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GettinFatstrong is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i have the same squat problem, i started bringing my grip in and flexing upper back, helps. also purchased oly shoes/put heel on a board that helps me greatly with the tip, i have very unflexible quads/hips and you probably do too which causes me lower back pain at times.. need to work on this

Break at the hip.
    Squatting and is a very natural motion.
    Pretend you're squatting onto your toilet.
    Originally Posted by GettinFatstrong View Post
    i have the same squat problem, i started bringing my grip in and flexing upper back, helps. also purchased oly shoes/put heel on a board that helps me greatly with the tip, i have very unflexible quads/hips and you probably do too which causes me lower back pain at times.. need to work on this
    Thanks for the advice guys!! Yeah if I focus on breaking through the hips and a little bit of flexibility, I think I'll be golden. I will put up a squat video up anyways though.

off to upper push day!

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

UPPER PUSH DAY

Incline Barbell Bench Press
    45x10
    95x10
    135x5
    135x5
    135x5

Flat DB Press
    50sx10
    55sx10
    60sx10

DB Seated Shoulder Press
    40sx10
    45sx10

Tricep Pushdown
    50x10
    50x10

Notes: What a sh!tty workout. Like every upper push day has been for such a long time now... My right shoulder is completely shot and hurts like a B!TCH especially on incline BB bench press. It just hurts in general in a lot of my pressing movements... Luckily this guy at my gym who has a masters degree in physical therapy(and specializes in shoulder therapy!lol!) overheard me talking to my friend about how much my shoulder hurts. This guy (Bryan is his name) I cannot thank him enough for what he has done for me. Bryan set aside 30 min of his workout to completely examine my shoulder and he did all kinds of tests to see what was wrong with it. Without an MRI scan and by feeling my right shoulder muscles, he said that the site where the subscapularis is is very inflamed so he thinks that is the problem. I have to stick with higher reps on push days for a while and do some rehab work. It's nice to see people like Bryan are still around.

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

THOUGHTS

So last night I had a dream that I was attempting my previous bench PR of 285 and I blew out my right shoulder (the one that has given me so many problems). It kinda made me realize that I need to get this taken care of as soon as possible. According to Bryan yesterday, the only days that will be affected from my shoulder are upper push days. I've decided to place more of a shoulder emphasis on this day using higher reps to strengthen my shoulders (they are a lagging part for me anyways). Heavy benching can be put on the back burner for now. It's more of an ego lift anyways. I think I'll be taking a good 3 months off from benching in the 4-6 rep range.

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

UPPER PULL

BB Bent Over Row
    45x20
    115x8
    115x5
    135x5
    145x5
    155x5

Lat Pulldown
    85x8
    100x8
    120x8
    100x12

Behind the Neck Shrugs on the Smith Machine
    +90x12
    +140x12
    +160x12

Barbell Bent Over Row (yes same as the first exercise)
    115x10
    115x10

Straight Cable Curl
    35x10
    42.5x10
    50x10 drop 30x6

Today was overall an okay workout. I got to the gym late before it closed so i only had 35 min so I had to rush things. this workout was the first time in a while that I did bent over rows and I am missing out! The numbers were pretty low today but it will catch up soon.

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

Rest day today. Pretty pysched for legs tomorrow. Might consider squatting 3x a week since my right shoulder really needs some time to heal up and my legs really need some catch up to do. We'll see.

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

Just got back from Church. The sermon was about making something of your life and MOVING WITH A PURPOSE. I actually got pretty pumped up. It was ironic because I really didn't want to go (like I never do) but the one time I did go it made such an impact, I'm really glad I went. I'm focused and ready to consistently kill it, everyday. Time to get serious, big leg workout tomorrow

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

Trying Something Different Day

10" Box Squat
    barx20
    135x10
    185x5
    185x5
    205x4
    205x4
    205x4
    205x4
    205x4
    135x10

Flat Barbell Bench Press
    95x10
    135x10
    155x8
    155x8
    155x8
    155x8
    155x8 too easy 160 for all sets next week

Standing Calf Press
    290x8
    290x8
    290x8

I was pretty happy with squats today since it was my first time doing box squats which felt awesome might I add. On a negative note, my shoulder pain really hit me when I got home. I did not go heavy at all today on bench so this is kind of weird. I can't stop benching so I'm just going to have to take really good care of my shoulder. I'll strap a hot pack on tonight and do some external rotation work as well.

Anyone have advice for shoulder pain? I have it in the right shoulder sorta where the anterior and medial delt heads meet.

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

So I'm going to college next year (at Purdue) and I'm really considering powerlifting as a secondary focus. I still want size to be my main goal, but being a thick mofo moving some serious weight would be bad@$$. More details later on exactly the reps and sets and exercises but here is what I'm thinking

day 1: heavy squats/volume bench
    day 2: Back/bis
    day 3: speed squats/deadlift/OHP
    day 4: rest
    day 5: volume squats/heavy bench
    day 6: back/bis
    day 7: rest

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

Back/biceps

Bent Over Barbell Row
    barx20
    95x10
    115x10
    115x10
    135x8
    135x8
    145x8
    145x8
    155x6 PR
    155x6 PR

Lat Pulldown
    90x10
    100x10
    110x10
    120x10

V-Handle Pulldowns
    100x10
    110x10
    120x10

Barbell Shrugs
    135x10
    185x10
    225x7 (grip kept giving out )

DB Hammer Curls (reps per arm)
    25sx10
    30sx10
    35sx8 dropset --> 20sx10

Overall good workout. My shoulder didn't bother me but that's because i was doing pulling movements Next week I might cut down on volume but we'll see. PRed in bent over barbell rows today. I never did them in a long time so it's not too much of an accomplishment and 155 is pretty low weight for how good my back is. ill progress slowly though so i don't too much too soon like i did with bench when i first started lifting. Damn grip gave out on shrugs....things to work on

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

Speed Squats/Deadlifts/Shoulder Work

Speed Squats (65-70% of 3-5RM, 90 secs of rest)
    135x3
    135x3
    135x3
    135x3
    135x3
    135x3

Conventional Deadlift
    135x10
    185x8
    225x5
    275x4 grip barely held on to the 4th
    275x3 F U GRIP.
    225x4 gayyy
    225x4
    225x4
    135x12
    135x15
    grip...so weak

Military Press light weight!!
    45x20
    45x20
    45x20

DB Side Laterals more light weight!!!
    10sx20
    10sx20
    15sx10

Not a bad sesssion today. Speed squats felt great for my first time doing them although I was not as explosive as I liked. I'm not sure whether I'll reduce the weight next session but getting out of the hole is kinda slow for me. I thought I would do a little bit better on deadlifts today though. i planned on doing 4 reps of 275 for 5 sets as my main strength work, but my grip is so weak because of not doing deadlifts for nearly a month. I have a weak grip in general though im sure ill get 275x4x5 next week though and pull my 405 PR in 2 months or so.

EDIT: I forgot about shoulders!! Anyone who has been following may know that my right shoulder is having a lot of problems which I will be getting looked at tomorrow. I couldn't resist doing some shoulder press though against my better judgement :d I was smart enough to keep it very light tho and I pretty much pump it up...even though there were no pumps experienced lol my lower back was the most pumped it has ever been after deadlifts however!!!

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

I know I'm constantly changing routines, but this is it!! lol my upper body can take a break and the lower body has lots of room for growing. I'll be doing starting strength for at least 2 months and see how that goes. Ill be running it a little differently though. I will focus on increasing the weight for upper body every week rather than every session like the squat. most likely I will also be just alternating every other day rather than the 3 days/week. thoughts?

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

Sp i forgot to update yesterday, oh well. I worked out with my friend at his gym which was soooo nice. It had much "better" equipment. The machines weren't nicer but there was more variety since my gym is a preppy gym -__- anyways, the workout

Weighted Pullups
    BWx5
    BWx8
    BW+20x5
    BW+20x5
    BW+20x5

ATG Squat
    45x10
    135x10
    185x5
    205x5
    215x5
    115x10

Weird DB Press to not hurt my shoulder
    20sx10
    30sx10
    30sx10

So today was a pretty good workout besides the presses. I was nowhere close failure but i hate going so light on an exercise. Not to mention my shoulder still hurt a bit. I'm considering just removing presses all together for the next 2 months. So chest will be stimulated at all, but I really wouldn't want to make this injury worse. I'll probably wok on strengthening my triceps via extension movements.

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

Forgot to update yesterday. Oh well, here it is. sticking with a fullbody approach for now. I'll probably do madcows later once i can get my squat up.

Back Squat
    135x10
    185x5
    205x1
    220x5 PR
    220x5 PR
    220x5 PR
    135x10

Altered DB Press very light
    50sx5
    50sx5
    50sx5

Bent Over Barbell Row
    95x10
    135x8
    165x5 PR
    165x5 PR
    165x5 PR

DB Overhead Extension very light
    50x8
    50x8
    50x8

Barbell Curl very light
    65x8
    65x8
    65x8

Finally!!! It's about time i started hitting a few PRs again. I'm probably not going to hit a bench/shoulder press PR until August-ish though lol. DB bench is easier on the shoulder which is why I am not doing barbell, and I am taking it VERY easy... I planned progression on the DB press so that in 2 months ill be pressing the 80s which are semi-heavy then in 3 months the 95s for a set of 5 which is my PR for DB press. I'm very happy with how quick my squat is going up!

brb never using a bro split again

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

I did some HIIT cardio today.

Going to ditch it lol

I get this stronggg feeling it is going to interfere with squat progression

fun workout nevertheless!

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

Kind of random, but I was thinking of goals I would want to accomplish by the end of the year since I'll be focusing more on strength this year.

Shooting for at 180 BW
    185 Military Press
    315 Bench Press
    405 Squat
    495 Deadlift (isthisreallife?)

My PR's are:
    155 Military Press
    285 Bench Press (gonna take half a year to get back here...)
    265 Squat (can probably do more now)
    405 dead (will attempt in a few months)

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

Yesterday's workout flat out SUCKED....I'm going to blame the HIIT cardio they day before which i'm never doing again. Everything just felt incredibly heavy today

Squats
    135x10
    185x5
    225x5 PR...i guess...this is where it all goes down hill
    225x2...failed on the 3rd

then i switched to
    Box Squats to work on the glutes and hams a bit more
    185x1
    135x5
    135x5

even 135 felt heavy and i was struggling...

DB altered Bench
    52.5sx5
    52.5sx5
    52.5sx5

Deadlift
    135x10 this felt like 225...what the hell was wrong today????
    225x5 what is usually a warm-up was a 5RM that i put my heart into on this set...absolutely pathetic

Pullups
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5

time to EAT MOAR

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

Just got back home from a mini vacation. Ill go to the gym in a few hours. hopefully ill get the 225 this time

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

Sorry fellas. I have been HORRIBLE about updating lately. This will change the deload I took worked and I feel absolutely amazing!!!

March 19
    Squats

95x5
    135x5
    185x3
    205x1
    225x5 PR
    225x5 PR
    225x5 PR
    135x15 ....i was really feeling squats today

DB Bench Press
    55x5
    55x5
    55x5

BB Rows
    95x5
    135x5
    155x3
    170x5 PR
    170x5 PR
    170x5 PR

Cable Side Laterals
    10x8
    10x8
    10x8 drop 5x8

DB Hammer Curl
    30sx8
    30sx8
    30sx8

Today,March 21
    Squats

95x5
    135x5
    185x3
    205x1
    230x5 PR
    230x5 PR
    230x5 PR easier than last session!!

DB Bench
    60sx5

then i remembered i was supposed to do shoulders lol
    DB OHP
    30sx5
    35sx5
    40sx5 didnt want to go too hard since my shoulders are very vulnerable..ill just do 3x5 next time, slow negative

Deadlifts
    135x5
    185x3
    235x1
    255x5 I have no idea what happened to my deadlift strength....it looks like ill have to slowly rebuild to 335x5

Pullups
    BWx8
    BWx8
    BWx8 dat pump..

DB overhead extensions max ROM
    55x8
    55x8
    60x8

todays workout was fuarkking amazing. Squats are definitely my favorite exercise now and they felt so easy today. 230 was my max not to long ago and now its easy as ****tt. form was much better today as well with more weight!!! i love fullbody workouts now. lets see if i'll be at 315x5 in 6 or 8 weks if i can keep this kind of progression up
    Last edited by BulkingForever; 03-21-2012 at 10:25 PM.

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

The squat progress continues!!!!!!!

Squat
    45x??
    135x??
    185x5
    205x3
    235x5 PR
    235x5 PR
    235x5 PR

DB Bench
    40sx5
    55sx5
    70sx5
    70sx5
    70sx5

BB Row
    95x10
    135x5
    165x3
    175x5 PR
    175x5 PR
    175x5 PR

DB Side Lateral one arm at a time/reps listed are per arm
    15sx10
    15sx10
    15sx10

DB Hammer Curls reps listed per arm
    35sx8
    35sx8
    35sx8

Very solid session today squats felt pretty hard today but i got them done!!! Thank god i dropped the ego and opted for fullbody

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

So today is a rest day and to be honest working out every other day has been bothering me. Now I am not going to be stupid since my squat progression has been going great. Once progression stops SS style, I'll probably be switching to lower/upper/rest repeat still focusing on strength progression in the 5 rep range. I'm hoping that SS style squat progression will take me to 275x5. that should set me at a 315 1RM. Theoretically, this should be 8 more SS session...if i can keep progressing past that SS style ill continue just i think ill be lucky to hit 275x5 without stalling

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%

Found a picture of me i took a while back at 158 so i reckon im a tad bigger now. Will probably have current progress pick when i hit the 165 mark in 2-3 weeks im guessing. Lats are my best developed bodypart IMO

EDIT: please forgive ****ty quality. This was taken from a mac laptop camera and the worst bedroom lighting you can imagine lol so alot of back detail got washed out but I think everyone can still get an idea of how im doing
    Attached Images

*Race To BW OHPx3 Crew*

Repping back 1k+ 100%