wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Becoming a nutritional God(dess)

There's a lot of information on these forums, but I feel that a lot of it is buried deep within the archives, and it can take a lot of digging to find a thimble of gold. One of my life goals is to work my way up to excellency in the field of nutritional science without the need for formal education (partially because schooling over here is crazy expensive), so I want to use the Internet as my resource to gain as much knowledge as possible.

If you were to start over from the very beginning, which would the best resources be for learning proper nutrition and not a bunch of bollocks about eating 6 meals a day?

dickeywill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Start reading some books/blogs by some pretty good nutritionists. For starters try Lyle McDonald.

MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by wyah View Post
    There's a lot of information on these forums, but I feel that a lot of it is buried deep within the archives, and it can take a lot of digging to find a thimble of gold. One of my life goals is to work my way up to excellency in the field of nutritional science without the need for formal education (partially because schooling over here is crazy expensive), so I want to use the Internet as my resource to gain as much knowledge as possible.

If you were to start over from the very beginning, which would the best resources be for learning proper nutrition and not a bunch of bollocks about eating 6 meals a day?
    Um. If you really want to be an expert you'll need all the cell and molecular bio from school, physiology, anatomy even...and chemistry before you even get to the nitty gritty of nutrition. Go to school
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Getting big: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136802401

- Alan Aragon www.alanaragon.com

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by MarkVI View Post
    Um. If you really want to be an expert you'll need all the cell and molecular bio from school, physiology, anatomy even...and chemistry before you even get to the nitty gritty of nutrition. Go to school
    This.

graffiti36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) graffiti36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) graffiti36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) graffiti36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) graffiti36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) graffiti36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) graffiti36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) graffiti36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) graffiti36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) graffiti36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) graffiti36 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    even though you can get a lot of information off the internet nothing can really replace school
    for example, anatomy. seems quite simple as most people around here know simple muscle groups but as you dig deeper into bones,each muscle and vascular system you will understand its not easy to learn this even from books ( which has a lot of information) but college also helps ( seeing these structures on a corpse is 100* better than seeing it on a book/internet diagram)
    Anyhow, starting off with no bases is extremely hard

Im now on my first year of college ( nutrition degree) and besides developing some social skills ( interviewing people about their eating habits) i have not really learned anything about nutrition, only chemestry, anotomy , biology...

Snowydog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Snowydog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm in my final year of sport and exercise science degree and really nothing can substitue good academic learning, despite what some people think. In saying that, if you want to learn some more detailed science information, try youtube - there's a lecturer on there that does some pretty good videos..I wish he was my lecturer - alot more interesting! - his name is Kevin Ahern - Oregon State University..

I'm lucky that I go to one of the top sport/exercise science university in the UK and I have great access to world class equipment where we do a lot of practicals that really help our learning. In the last 12 weeks I've done research studies on biomechanics - from gym work to specific sports...injury biomechanics, sport technology....I've also gone into a lot of depth on the energy systems and substrate utilisation - it's been so interesting and I could explain the whole process of Fat Oxidation no problem now - all thanks to my learning.

As well as the youtube stuff I directed you to - you can get some good learning from Review journal articles - but to understand them you do need a good sound knowledge of the terms and meanings of many many different things....

Maybe look at getting some anatomy/physiology books - do some online reading on the body.... for nutrition - you first need to understand the body - then look food..

But good luck, I'm sure if you start from the basics and as you read around the topic you'll become more proficient ... I'm thinking of doing a masters in sport nutrition....as I'm really enjoying my course and don't really want to finish it (well - the exams are crazy)

morecurls is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) morecurls is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) morecurls is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) morecurls is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) morecurls is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) morecurls is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) morecurls is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) morecurls is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) morecurls is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) morecurls is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) morecurls is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Becoming a 'nutritional god' is gonna be tough without a solid understanding of biology, biochemistry, and anatomy/physiology. Pretty tough to do without any kind of structure. Go to school.

Skeletor57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skeletor57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skeletor57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skeletor57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skeletor57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skeletor57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skeletor57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skeletor57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skeletor57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skeletor57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skeletor57 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You definitely need to go to school, that is what I am doing, I have a very similar life goal.
    Super Natural - Mind & Body Forums
    http://supernatural.freeforums.org/index.php

Hudsoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hudsoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hudsoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hudsoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hudsoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hudsoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Biochemistry. Human biological science.

dylan82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dylan82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dylan82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dylan82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dylan82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dylan82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dylan82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dylan82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dylan82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dylan82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dylan82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started with with getting my chemistry and biology back up to speed. I can really recommend the Kahn academy website for this. Now reading some more advanced biochemistry en physiology books.

wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dylan82 View Post
    I started with with getting my chemistry and biology back up to speed. I can really recommend the Kahn academy website for this. Now reading some more advanced biochemistry en physiology books.
    Thank you for not ignoring my OP and telling me to go to school. Just downloaded an app to let me view his lessons on my phone and am now going through them while sorting out breakfast. Killer find, bro.

Originally Posted by Snowydog View Post
    I'm in my final year of sport and exercise science degree and really nothing can substitue good academic learning, despite what some people think. In saying that, if you want to learn some more detailed science information, try youtube - there's a lecturer on there that does some pretty good videos..I wish he was my lecturer - alot more interesting! - his name is Kevin Ahern - Oregon State University..

I'm lucky that I go to one of the top sport/exercise science university in the UK and I have great access to world class equipment where we do a lot of practicals that really help our learning. In the last 12 weeks I've done research studies on biomechanics - from gym work to specific sports...injury biomechanics, sport technology....I've also gone into a lot of depth on the energy systems and substrate utilisation - it's been so interesting and I could explain the whole process of Fat Oxidation no problem now - all thanks to my learning.

As well as the youtube stuff I directed you to - you can get some good learning from Review journal articles - but to understand them you do need a good sound knowledge of the terms and meanings of many many different things....

Maybe look at getting some anatomy/physiology books - do some online reading on the body.... for nutrition - you first need to understand the body - then look food..

But good luck, I'm sure if you start from the basics and as you read around the topic you'll become more proficient ... I'm thinking of doing a masters in sport nutrition....as I'm really enjoying my course and don't really want to finish it (well - the exams are crazy)
    Holy **** this is brilliant too! When I searched, the first vid I came across is 47 minutes long. Absolutely perfect.

I've been reviewing journals too, and you're right that it's a drop in the deep end, but I'm no beginner. Have been raiding my local library for everything they have. I wish you luck too, sir. A masters in sports nutrition can take you a long, long way, as well as being a fascinating career path.

Thank you too!
    Last edited by wyah; 02-28-2012 at 12:27 AM.

The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Start with the basics of nutrition from a text book. Then head to a library and find specific books on processes within the body. Construct your diet on what is proven, you'll get better results than what is normally tossed around as a standard.

amreeder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Power Eating by "Susan Kleiner"

I was fortunate enough to read this book when I was 15 years old. Best book ever! Creates a good knowledge base and understanding from an extremely reputable author. Just imagine the best book review ever written and insert here. Buy this book! It's affordable to. You most likely won't be sorry.

Power Eating by: "Susan Kleiner"

BTW: I would leave a link but BB.com won't let me post links or pics until I have 50 posts apparently.

Cut and paste this into google: power eating susan m kleiner

good luck!

BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BlueFenix13S is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by graffiti36 View Post

Im now on my first year of college ( nutrition degree) and besides developing some social skills ( interviewing people about their eating habits) i have not really learned anything about nutrition, only chemestry, anotomy , biology...
    I would HIGHLY suggest pursuing an advanced degree. An undergrad is a great start, but a Masters or PhD will really get you into the nitty gritty of physiology and body chemistry.

As well as the youtube stuff I directed you to - you can get some good learning from [b]Review journal articles[b] - but to understand them you do need a good sound knowledge of the terms and meanings of many many different things....
    In the bold... PubMed is the library online you can find. IdeaFit has some good articles, the NSCA has good stuff if you're willing to pay.

Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    get a phd in biochemistry

RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

That's what I'm studying to, although I'm only approaching the end of first year...

Snowydog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Snowydog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by RubenOlivares View Post
    That's what I'm studying to, although I'm only approaching the end of first year...
    I've just finished my last exams for my degree! I would have to do something really stupid in the exams not to get the highest honours that you can get in my degree so I'm pretty certain I've achieved that!

Good luck in your studies - just keep working hard - the good thing is for a degree like this, having that specific interest will get you through! Suppose it's the same with any degree, but this stuff you can really apply and test in your own lifestyle!

I loved my degree! I said I was looking to do the sports nutrition masters but I'm not so sure now! One thing I will be doing is working towards my strength and conditioning qualifications ... I really want to work with top flight sports clubs!
    Personal Trainer
    Field Hockey and Soccer Coach
    Degree - Sport and Exercise Science (final year)
    Research: Biomechanical Analysis of the female golf swing

tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well you'll need a lot of chemistry biology biochemistry and physiology.

One of my favorites for organic chemistry is the professor from UC irvine. If you are looking for some more classes you can go to http://freevideolectures.com/Subject/Chemistry#

However for something like biochemistry I would really suggest a class.

I kind of got bored of nutrition in high school and wanted to move to creating usable products. Biomedical Engineering is pretty interesting assuming you aren't too scared of math and programming.

tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey I saw your research at the end there and was curious because my research professor is a crazy biomechanical engineer. I was just wondering if you were computer simulating that system with finite element analysis?

I've just finished my last exams for my degree! I would have to do something really stupid in the exams not to get the highest honours that you can get in my degree so I'm pretty certain I've achieved that!

Good luck in your studies - just keep working hard - the good thing is for a degree like this, having that specific interest will get you through! Suppose it's the same with any degree, but this stuff you can really apply and test in your own lifestyle!

I loved my degree! I said I was looking to do the sports nutrition masters but I'm not so sure now! One thing I will be doing is working towards my strength and conditioning qualifications ... I really want to work with top flight sports clubs!