Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: vanbroeK's Log

vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50)

vanbroeK's Log

This log will be used to track my progress and keep me motivated. It'll mostly show my workouts and whatnot but I'll try and keep it interesting.

Some background and stats:

Weight: ~80kg (176lbs)
    Height: 190cm (6'2)

Will try and get exact weight measurement tomorrow morning and you will notice the use of kilograms instead of pounds in this log but I'll try and convert most of the time.

Started working out around this time last year when I got my power rack. I have been terribly inconsistent and have only ever managed to pull together maybe a couple months of consistently working out after which I have had massive lay offs. I found this to be a result of lacking in motivation and final year of school stress. Now that I have graduated I hope to continue for many years. I've only ever done starting strength, well attempted. Am now more educated and more determined. I will continue with Starting Strength.

Goal: Get stronger primarily but also bigger. Weigh 100kg (220lbs).

Why? Hate being skinny, want to feel more confident and content with my body. Admittedly, my uneducated self worked out for girls but now I have a gorgeous girl and only want this for myself.

Past Progress: Fairly good gain in weight, approximately 15kg (33lbs) over the past year. Squat I think got to around 80kg (176lbs), Deadlift I think 90kg (198lbs). Bench only ever got to 60kg (132lbs), Press 40kg (88lbs) and Clean 45kg (100lbs). All extremely weak and with horrid form. I don't know how I didn't injure myself tbh.

Bought the Starting Strength book and now have a good understanding of all the lifts. Squats and Cleans are still a little troubling but they're more than adequate.

This log will also be used to track post Starting Strength progress.

vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanbroeK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Diet wise, I just eat what I can. Consists mainly of milk, beef mince, rice, pasta, fruit, vegetables, eggs, baked beans, tuna etc. Just cheap items. Supplement wise, I usually have some whey which I take post workout and I like to have some multis and fish oil but don't all of the time. I do need to eat more. I struggle with it usually.

I'm starting my second week of training tomorrow. I've started low on all lifts, probably a little too low on some (not an excuse for me being weak because yes, i am weak). This was done to help with form. I've drastically changed my squat from high bar to low bar and with many more tweaks as per Mark Rippetoe's advice.

Starting Weights (YES, WEAK).

Squat: 36kg (79lbs)
    Bench: 35kg (77lbs)
    Deadlift: 40kg (88lbs)
    Press: 27kg (59lbs)
    Clean: 30kg (66lbs)

I am capable of lifting up to two times some of these weights but for form and progression purposes, I've started low.

Squat will go up 4kgs each workout, Bench 2.5kgs, Deadlift 9kgs, Press 2kgs and Clean 2.5kgs for as long as possible before halving.

I'll be doing the original Starting Strength program with 2x10 Bicep Curls at the end of each week (just because I had to).

Session #1
    Squat
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x2 - 25kg
    3x5 - 36kg (79lbs)

Bench Press
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x2 - 30kg
    3x5 - 35kg (77lbs)

Deadlift
    1x3 - 20kg
    1x2 - 30kg
    1x5 - 40kg (88lbs)

Last edited by vanbroeK; 12-10-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Session #2
    Squat
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x2 - 30kg
    3x5 - 40kg (88lbs)

Press
    2x5 - 20kg
    3x5 - 27kg (59lbs)

Power Clean
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x2 - 25kg
    5x3 - 30kg (66lbs)

Last edited by vanbroeK; 12-12-2011 at 02:10 AM.

Session #3
    Squat
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 25kg
    1x2 - 35kg
    3x5 - 44kg (97lbs)

Bench Press
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 25kg
    1x2 - 30kg
    3x5 - 37.5kg (82lbs)

Deadlift
    1x3 - 25kg
    1x2 - 40kg
    1x5 - 49kg (108lbs)

Bicep Curls
    2x10 - 20kg

Weighed myself this morning (pre food, post piss), measured 85kg (187lbs) which was a bit of a surprise.

Today's workout was good. Light. Form was the best it's been.

Session #4
    Squat
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 25kg
    1x2 - 35kg
    3x5 - 48kg (105lbs)

Press
    2x5 - 20kg
    3x5 - 29kg (63lbs)

Power Clean
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x2 - 25kg
    5x3 - 32.5kg (71lbs)

Workout was a little rushed today but still light and form is solid.

Session #5
    Squat
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 30kg
    1x2 - 40kg
    3x5 - 52kg (114lbs)

Bench Press
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 25kg
    1x2 - 35kg
    3x5 - 40kg (88lbs)

Deadlift
    1x3 - 25kg
    1x2 - 45kg
    1x5 - 58kg (127lbs)

End of 2nd week. Will weigh myself Monday morning, not expecting much difference but will be interesting to see.

Workout was alright, form was average for squats.

Session #6
    Squat
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 30kg
    1x2 - 40kg
    3x5 - 56kg (123lbs)

Press
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x2 - 25kg
    3x5 - 31kg (68lbs)

Power Clean
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x2 - 25kg
    5x3 - 35kg (77lbs)

KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Illinois Drug And Alcohol Rates

aroffHalm, phseaglecheer com/****** html]buy ****** online no prescription It can also be used to treat panic attacks and for patients that suffer with irritable bowel syndrome phseaglecheer com/****** html - generic diazepam

KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KitteeGox has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Indian Journal Of Preventive Medicine

aroffHalm, phseaglecheer com/****** html]diazepam no prescription Some medications and herbal supplements might interact with ****** (Diazepam) phseaglecheer com/****** html - ****** without prescription

To think that I actually got a reply. I am disappoint.

Weighed in at 87kg which is good considering I hadn't eaten much over the weekend. Was tired today but workout was good.

Session #7
    Squat
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 35kg
    1x2 - 45kg
    3x5 - 60kg (132lbs)

Bench Press
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 25kg
    1x2 - 35kg
    3x5 - 42.5kg (93lbs)

Deadlift
    2x5 - 25kg
    1x3 - 40kg
    1x2 - 55kg
    1x5 - 67kg (147lbs)

Session #8
    Squat
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x5 - 25kg
    1x3 - 35kg
    1x2 - 50kg
    3x5 - 64kg (141lbs)

Press
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x2 - 25kg
    3x5 - 33kg (72lbs)

Power Clean
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 25kg
    1x2 - 30kg
    5x3 - 37.5kg (82lbs)

Missed my workout today because of christmas stuff, was hoping to be able to do it so I'd have to reset less since I am going down the coast for a week. But will be back in the new year even more motivated.

I'll probably be resetting back to Session 5 just to be sure.

I got lazy and haven't been posting my workouts but I have been working out.

I have decided to switch from Starting Strength to Babylover's variation of it. I had been contemplating it for a while and finally decided to start it for the new year. I didn't particularly mind power cleans but they weren't my favourite and really weren't going to be of any use to me, though might consider them later in my training career. I also felt like my upper back was particularly weak and it showed in the first few sessions. I understand that I could have added chins or pull-ups in SS but I did want more upper back work because it really looks like crap as well. My main goal is still to increase all my big lifts and the program still allows this in the same way.

At the moment I am enjoying this program quite a lot. I will get my new year weight which I can see being a little less to be honest.

Anyway, here are my workouts that I didn't log.
    Last edited by vanbroeK; 01-10-2012 at 02:57 AM.

I did reset my lifts a little to compensate for the week's break. I have also replaced the Barbell Rows with Inverted Rows. I will most likely change back later when doing them weighted gets too hard. I just see them as a better introductory exercise. I couldn't do a proper one so I had to use a higher bar and am decreasing by a pin on my power rack every session. And yes. I couldn't do 1 full pull-up.

Session #1
    Squat
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 30kg
    1x2 - 40kg
    3x5 - 50kg (110lbs)

Bench Press
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 25kg
    1x2 - 35kg
    3x5 - 40kg (88lbs)

Pull-Ups
    10x1 - BW (Half ROM)
    5x1 - BW (Negatives)

Inverted Rows
    3x5 - BW (High Bar)

Bicep Curls
    3x8 - 20kg (44lbs)

Session #2
    Squat
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 30kg
    1x2 - 40kg
    3x5 - 54kg (119lbs)

Press
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x2 - 25kg
    3x5 - 30kg

Deadlifts
    1x5 - 25
    1x3 - 35
    1x2 - 50
    1x5 - 60kg (132lbs)

Dips
    15x1 - BW (Negatives)

I had intended to do dips but I couldn't because I experienced pain in my sternum.I researched it and I will leave out the dips and replace them with close grip decline pushups. I'll add dips in later if I feel that my triceps and chest are strong enough and I will add in negatives sooner as they don't seem to worry my sternum as much.

Last edited by vanbroeK; 01-10-2012 at 01:28 AM.

Session #3
    Squat
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 30kg
    1x2 - 45kg
    3x5 - 58kg (127lbs)

Bench Press
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 30kg
    1x2 - 40kg
    3x5 - 45kg (99lbs)

Pull-Ups
    10x1 - BW (Half ROM)
    5x1 - BW (Negatives)

Inverted Rows
    3x5 - BW (High Bar)

Bicep Curls
    3x8 - 21kg (46lbs)

Last edited by vanbroeK; 01-10-2012 at 03:04 AM.

Session #4
    Squat
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 35kg
    1x2 - 45kg
    3x5 - 62kg (136lbs)

Press
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x2 - 25kg
    3x5 - 32kg (70lbs)

Deadlifts
    1x5 - 25
    1x3 - 40
    1x2 - 55
    1x5 - 69kg (152lbs)

Decline Push-ups
    4x5 - BW

Workout started well. Hit my best squat since starting again, same with bench. Still weak. Pull-ups were horrible, dunno what it was but couldn't even do many half ROMs. Inverted Rows were average as well, might keep the same height for next workout.

Also finding out whether I get into my uni course tonight. Fingers crossed.

Session #5
    Squat
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x5 - 25kg
    1x3 - 35kg
    1x2 - 50kg
    3x5 - 66kg (145lbs)

Bench Press
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 30kg
    1x2 - 40kg
    3x5 - 50kg (110lbs)

Pull-Ups
    5x1 - BW (Half ROM)
    10x1 - BW (Negatives)

Inverted Rows
    3x5 - BW (High Bar)

Bicep Curls
    3x8 - 22kg (48lbs)

Decided to check my weight this morning and I'm pretty stoked. 89kg (196lbs). And I also got the offer from the university. Off day is good day.

Session #6
    Squat
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x5 - 25kg
    1x3 - 45kg
    1x2 - 55kg
    3x5 - 70kg (154lbs)

Press
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x2 - 25kg
    3x5 - 34kg (74lbs)

Deadlifts
    1x5 - 30
    1x3 - 45
    1x2 - 65
    1x5 - 78kg (171lbs)

Decline Push-ups
    4 or 5x5 (lost count) - BW

Last edited by vanbroeK; 01-13-2012 at 03:29 AM.

Session #7
    Squat
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x5 - 25kg
    1x3 - 40kg
    1x2 - 55kg
    3x5 - 74kg (163lbs)

Bench Press
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 35kg
    1x2 - 45kg
    3x5 - 52.5kg (115lbs)

Pull-Ups
    5x1 - BW (Half ROM)
    10x1 - BW (Negatives)

Inverted Rows
    3x5 - BW (High Bar)

Bicep Curls
    3x8 - 23kg (50lbs)

Session #8
    Squat
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x5 - 30kg
    1x3 - 45kg
    1x2 - 60kg
    3x5 - 78kg (171lbs)

Press
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 25kg
    1x2 - 30kg
    3x5 - 36kg (79lbs)

Deadlifts
    1x5 - 30
    1x3 - 50
    1x2 - 70
    1x5 - 87kg (191lbs)

Left out push-ups

Weighed myself yesterday and got 93-94kg on the scale but it seemed a little unbelievable but I tried again today and got 92-93kg. Happy.

I honestly thought this workout was going to be ****. Squats are getting heavy but I managed to get up past the 80 mark, I noticed a nice improvement in my pull-ups, full ROM might not be to far away and I lowered the pins for the rows.

Session #9
    Squat
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x5 - 30kg
    1x3 - 45kg
    1x2 - 65kg
    3x5 - 82kg (180lbs)

Bench Press
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x2 - 25kg
    1x3 - 35kg
    1x2 - 45kg
    3x5 - 55kg (121lbs)

Pull-Ups
    15x1 - BW (Half ROM)
    5x1 - BW (Negatives)

Inverted Rows
    3x5 - BW (High Bar)

Bicep Curls
    3x8 - 24kg (52lbs)

Decided to count my calories and macros and **** today, thought I may as well. Still need to eat more but am happy with this.

4,100 calories
    161g fat
    400g carbs
    220g protein

Couldn't workout on Monday because I was sick and wasn't able to use my garage until today. But in that time I realised that my squat form is crappy because of my ****ing butt-wink so now I've stopped squatting. I'm stretching heaps and really trying to get rid of it but it's so ****ing annoying. I might not be able to completely remove it because of my ****ty anthropometry.

I was feeling motivated so I decided to go on with the press and add 2kg, form was average though and deads went well.

Session #10
    Squat
    Working on form

Press
    1x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 25kg
    1x2 - 30kg
    1x5 - 38kg (83lbs)
    1x5 - 38kg (83lbs)
    1x5 - 38kg (83lbs)

Deadlifts
    1x5 - 35kg
    1x3 - 55kg
    1x2 - 80kg
    1x5 - 96kg (211lbs)

Decline Push-Ups
    5x5

I'm also backing up tomorrow to make up for this week and especially since I'm not really squatting right now.

Workout was ****ing horrible. My upper back for some reason was really fatigued from yesterday's presses (probably deadlifts too) and my pull-ups and rows went to ****. But most importantly, bench was successful, form kinda sucked though

Session #11
    Squat
    Still working on form.

Bench Press
    2x5 - 20kg
    1x2 - 25kg
    1x3 - 40kg
    1x2 - 50kg
    3x5 - 57.5kg (126lbs)

Pull-Ups
    Attempted but didn't bother.

Inverted Rows
    3 sets of I don't even know

Bicep Curls
    3x8 - 25kg (55lbs)

Last edited by vanbroeK; 01-27-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Did some research and came across a pull-up progression article on EliteFTS which seems promising.

http://articles.elitefts.com/article...more-pull-ups/

I'll start with adding hanging scap pull-ups to the start of every workout until I can do 3 sets of 15 easily, then I'll move onto iso holds, slow negatives and then hopefully I'll be able to finally do a pull-up.

Since my weights only go up to 100kgs (saving up for some more), I can't really progress on the deads anymore. So I have changed things around.

Replaced the deadlifts to romanian deadlifts for now, one because they will stretch out my hamstrings and help my squat and because my hamstrings are generally **** and two because it at least provides back work, even though it's very minimal. I also added in some lunges to get some quad and glute work in and also to stretch those out and hopefully work my hip flexors a little. All in all I'm just trying to get back to squatting.

The other session is also going to have front squats just to help me with my back squat form. When I get my weights doe, I'm back to squatting and deadlifting and hopefully squatting sooner if I can fix my crappy form.

Session #12

3 sets of Hanging Scap Pull-ups

Squat
    Few sets practising form and whatnot, recorded and actually looked pretty good.

Lunges
    Just trying these out, ended up doing 1 set of 6 as my work set dunno what I was doing but they ****ed up my legs in all different places.

Press
    1x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 25kg
    1x2 - 30kg
    1x5 - 40kg (88lbs)
    1x5 - 40kg (88lbs)
    1x5 - 40kg (88lbs)

Thought presses would be heavy, light as ****, destroyed last set.

Romanian Deadlifts
    1x5 - 20kg
    1x3 - 25kg
    1x2 - 30kg
    1x5 - 40kg (88lbs)

Close Grip Push-Ups
    4x5