sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)

Is there anyone here who doesn't have specific goals?

I read so much about bulking, cutting, recomping, this/that.

Is there anyone here who just likes to lift & has no specific goal? That's me. I don't count calories and I lift using a program that I enjoy. I like getting stronger but basically, I just lift for health reasons & for hobby/enjoyment. If I end up changing my physique as a result, cool. If not, whatever (although I doubt that would happen).

So anyone here in lifting purgatory or something?

Not that there is anything wrong with goals because goals are great - just wondering if there's others like me.

ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yup
    Started lifting for football in hs but when team sports was over it was like wtf now so gradually started lifting more and more.
    Idk maybe i'll start training for powerlifting one day

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    That sounds good! I've been reading Westside's program for "washed up meatheads" ie ex athletes who just like to work out and do whatever... you might enjoy it, that or Wendler's material

bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Working out makes me feel good and I like how I look when I'm scantily dressed That's all I need.

BUT :
    Although I've never followed a lifting program, I do want to get back some lost strength so I'll be keeping certain things in mind during workouts.

I also want to drop a few lbs. Ive stopped counting cals but since my meals are pretty consistent I really just need to reign in the chocolate and party mix that I've been letting get out of control...oops!
    I'm small but mighty.

dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah. I'm coming off a bulk and try to lean back out a bit right now, but I didn't do it because I think I'm a bodybuilder or that I'm ever going to look like a fitness model. And I've been doing a program that has a 5x5 component and so am enjoying watching my strength gains, but I'm no powerlifter.

Basically I lift because it's fun and, as you said, for my health. I just hit menopause and I would really like to retain as much muscle and bone mass as I can so that I don't end up one of those little old ladies whose hips snap like peanut brittle and who can't lift their own groceries.
    "Eat some oatmeal, do some squats, how hard is that seriously."--Prof Ham
    ..............................................................................
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers
    ...............................................................................
    For the lulz and an occasional intelligent thought, plus pics:

http://musclemilkisnotaeuphemism.blogspot.com/

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My goals have always been aesthetic driven. I've cut, bulked followed programs, all in an effort to improve my physique. Having just come off a bulk, during which time I worked my ass off, I now have this longing to just "be" with no specific goal other than to maintain. I think that is partly due to the fact that I am at a point where, although there is room for improvement, I am satisfied. There is no desperate need or dangling carrot that drives me. Let's see how long this lasts . Oh, boy......

Now I can say I am mostly driven by a love for lifting, stress relief, and so that I can eat as much as my 205-lb boyfriend while still maintaining a certain level of leanness.

erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm the same way right now. Every now and again, I think about doing another show, but I just can't bring myself to work towards it. I just go in, do my thing and enjoy it for what it is instead of using it as a means to an end.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=17995794

Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by thepowerwithin View Post
    My goals have always been aesthetic driven. I've cut, bulked followed programs, all in an effort to improve my physique. Having just come off a bulk, during which time I worked my ass off, I now have this longing to just "be" with no specific goal other than to maintain. I think that is partly due to the fact that I am at a point where, although there is room for improvement, I am satisfied. There is no desperate need or dangling carrot that drives me. Let's see how long this lasts . Oh, boy......

Now I can say I am mostly driven by a love for lifting, stress relief, and so that I can eat as much as my 205-lb boyfriend while still maintaining a certain level of leanness.
    Same here. Though I can't say it feels particularly comfortable. I've just about finished a cut and I'm reasonably happy with myself. Don't know what to do now. Feeling pretty ripped and not sure I want to bulk again, but don't really need to loose anymore. Maintenance isn't very motivating!!
    "Ain't about how fast I get there.....it's the climb"

fitinidaho has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitinidaho has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitinidaho has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitinidaho has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitinidaho has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitinidaho has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitinidaho has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitinidaho has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitinidaho has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitinidaho has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitinidaho has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm also following a program, don't count calories, and lift for fun and health. I just love to lift! ...makes me feel good about myself.

definenormal32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) definenormal32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) definenormal32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) definenormal32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) definenormal32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) definenormal32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) definenormal32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) definenormal32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) definenormal32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) definenormal32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) definenormal32 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't have any specific goal in mind as far as bodybuilding goes, other than to get stronger and improve my overall appearance. My real goals all relate to my running and racing.

Goal: Build More Muscle! Luvdogs's Avatar
    Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Me too! I lift because it makes me feel good and I like being strong and able to do things for myself! I go to Weight Watchers, follow a "mostly" paleo/primal diet, and train 4-5 days a week. I follow different programs, right now it's Max OT. Six weeks is about my limit per program because I get bored easily and like to change it up. I have even been known to fall off the wagon for a couple months, then get back on! I'm happy with my current weight and at this stage in my life, just want to manage it and stay healthy. Never getting on a stage and not that disciplined but BIG props to those that are!
    Julia

tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I lift because I like the way my body looks when I do. No goal in mind other than build more muscles.

ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Lifting purgatory - lol! I'm not, but I know many who are.

I let my body dictate what I want to do and then just ride along with it. Lately I've been bit by the powerlifting bug so I am having loads of fun training specifically for that.

But for the other 15 years I have been training, usually no specific goals, though I sometimes have fleeting aspirations in one sport or another and will shift my weight training to better my performance (sprinting, rugby, oly lifting, etc). Or decide I want to dip with a plate, hit a certain number of pull up, etc. Small, personal satisfaction goals I guess.

I am usually 'bulking' because I love to eat, so I just go with it and enjoy whatever comes of it. When I decide to 'cut', it will be dictated by my food cravings at the time rather than me wanting to weigh a certain amount. Right now I am in love with pb - so it's bulk time. No diet purgatory for me haha.

I don't have any specific goals like 'I must weigh x amount by a certain date', never had goals like that really. Right now, my goal is 300lb dead without rounding my back, by my next meet - and that is really the only goal by a certain date I think I've ever had. Even that is more an aspiration than a goal - I'll try as hard as I can and what I get is what I get. I'm not going to shoot myself or anything
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55
    Meet lifts : Squat 275 | Bench 170 | Dead 400

Journal : http://tinyurl.com/80s-lifting-journal

mom to 3 boys / spend my life at grocery store crew

foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Started lifting a few months ago with the primary goal of regaining lost muscle and strength following a bad accident. Have no desire or delusions of being a competitive bb’er or powerlifter. Earlier in life, I competed in a few sports/activities which were my forte. For now, lifting is purely for enjoyment and health reasons.

If increased emphasis was placed on the health aspects, I think many more folks would get into this with a big shift in demographics.

andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i did always have a goal. coming back from an ed and then from my colon surgeries and subsequent weight loss, my goal has been to bulk. i've focused more on that and gaining muscle than on gaining strength. right now i am coming back from an injury so the goal is to just do what i can in the gym, rehab, and eventually gain strength back to where it was and go back to bulking. after i've reached my gw and am happy w/ my physique, i think i will be more goal-less. always wanting to gain strength, but more just lifting b/c of what it does for me. it's bliss, peaceful, focus, and just generally makes me happy. maybe i'll eventually choose to bulk more or focus on that stuff, but i really think after i reach my gw, i'll do it more solely for fun, like you do. but the difference is i'll always count calories and such b/c it's ingrained in me and something i can't get over (i also don't mind it. it's easy and quick and doesn't take much thought anymore).

2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ilovethe80s View Post
    Right now, my goal is 300lb dead without rounding my back, by my next meet - and that is really the only goal by a certain date I think I've ever had. Even that is more an aspiration than a goal - I'll try as hard as I can and what I get is what I get. I'm not going to shoot myself or anything
    Woohoo! The big 300! You can do it!
    My journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137873243

cheerchica is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheerchica is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheerchica is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheerchica is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheerchica is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheerchica is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheerchica is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheerchica is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheerchica is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheerchica is on a distinguished road. (+10) cheerchica is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I kinda suspect that 6 months from now, I no longer will have a goal and will still be lifting just because I enjoy it. Today when I woke up I was really excited to hit the gym. Like VERY excited. Once I was in there, I realized my enthusiasm had absolutely nothing to do with my workout bringing me closer to my goals. I was genuinely happy to be lifting again and I really enjoyed myself. Compare that to when I run I have to chant "bikini, bikini, bikini" or something in my head to keep me from stopping LOL

The goals I guess are to keep me on track on my less than perky days. For now anyway!
    Training Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140422843
    Goal: I want to be able to bench press a grizzly bear before I die.

kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz
    Nope, no goals planned here. I've been there and done that. It's funny because even to this day people still ask..."Getting ready for any upcoming shows Kim?" I have to laugh, because a lot of people have no idea how many shows I've actually done.

Not quiet ready to say I'm retired...because you never know...

Anyhoo, I'm happy with maintaining, continue hitting it heavy and staying injury free...works for me!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheSmiley is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by sonti View Post

Is there anyone here who just likes to lift & has no specific goal? That's me. I don't count calories and I lift using a program that I enjoy. I like getting stronger but basically, I just lift for health reasons & for hobby/enjoyment. If I end up changing my physique as a result, cool. If not, whatever (although I doubt that would happen).

Not that there is anything wrong with goals because goals are great - just wondering if there's others like me.
    I wouldn't say I have zero goals as far as lifting goes. I get a great sense of satisfaction when I hit PRs, but I certainly do not obsess over diet when it comes to restriction/counting.

It's nice to have a hobby when life gets busy because then you have something to look forward to at the end of the day. That's probably my best reason for lifting.

CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by foresail View Post
    Started lifting a few months ago with the primary goal of regaining lost muscle and strength following a bad accident. Have no desire or delusions of being a competitive bb’er or powerlifter. Earlier in life, I competed in a few sports/activities which were my forte. For now, lifting is purely for enjoyment and health reasons.

If increased emphasis was placed on the health aspects, I think many more folks would get into this with a big shift in demographics.
    I agree with this. Lifting has had a tremendous impact on improving my health.

I started working out a couple of years ago because I wanted to lose weight and get back in shape. I've grown to love lifting and I especially like challenging myself.
    My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140511571

ProMera Pump Extreme Log with IrishLassie78: COMPLETED

*TEAM AMAZON* -- Sisterhood of Iron

ethanetebari is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ethanetebari is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ethanetebari is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ethanetebari is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ethanetebari is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ethanetebari is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ethanetebari is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ethanetebari is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ethanetebari is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ethanetebari is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ethanetebari is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by sonti View Post

You really should find some sort of a goal, whether it be lose 2 pounds, lift 10 lbs more, gain an inch here or there. Otherwise you'll likely waste a lot of time. Not that having a healthy heart is a bad thing. But you could do so much more.

dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000)
    My long term goals have always been pretty non specific - generally gain strength, be fit and sculpt my body so that it has a more athletic look. I am bone on bone in my knees (from years of athletics in my youth) so I've also been focusing on building up the supporting musculature in that area this past year. That is probably the only really specific long term goal I've had though.

I usually do have a few specific short term goals that I use to keep myself motivated. For example, I set a goal for being able to do a few dead hang pull ups this past summer. Right now I'm working on my bench press and trying to really improve my form and increase my max a bit. These mini-goals really keep me engaged - otherwise I think I'd probably just grow bored and my workouts would begin to lose their intensity.

Originally Posted by ethanetebari View Post
    You really should find some sort of a goal, whether it be lose 2 pounds, lift 10 lbs more, gain an inch here or there. Otherwise you'll likely waste a lot of time. Not that having a healthy heart is a bad thing. But you could do so much more.
    So if I make a goal to lose 2lbs, I'll stop wasting time? lol ok

digitalangel3 is just really nice. (+1000) digitalangel3 is just really nice. (+1000) digitalangel3 is just really nice. (+1000) digitalangel3 is just really nice. (+1000) digitalangel3 is just really nice. (+1000) digitalangel3 is just really nice. (+1000) digitalangel3 is just really nice. (+1000) digitalangel3 is just really nice. (+1000) digitalangel3 is just really nice. (+1000) digitalangel3 is just really nice. (+1000) digitalangel3 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I started a "life style change" back in March. I was very overweight, not athletic or into lifting, and completely fed up to what I had become.

Therefore I had goals: 1)lose weight 2)acquire muscles plus a bunch of semi goals on how to accomplish those goals.

But I am realizing that I am a person who makes goals, plans ,list anyways in my life. So this carried over.
    I sorta count calories but mostly I just eat less. I follow a workout plan and try to always increase my weights .
    Has been working for me.

ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000) ClassickQC is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good question... actually now that I think about it, when I started lifting and getting more serious about training, it was to lose the extra pounds I packed from my running ''accident'' (if getting hit by a bird and slipping on ice, resulting in a pretty badly sprained ankle can be called an accident).

Now that I am pretty much close to where I wanna be, it's like I completely removed any specific goal from my mind, aside from just being in shape and healthy. I love training and lifting, and that's why I do it. Nothing wrong with having or not having a goal, in the end I think it's more a matter of being happy with ourselves (although that can be a goal itself)
    ''Remember where you are posting (ie a body building forum) and the audience who is going to reply. If you just want someone to tell you you’re pretty, you’re slim/toned, ripped or correct in your craziness then please post somewhere else. '' ~Kjake55

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've lifted without a goal ever since graduating college. I lifted back in HS and college because I played softball but after that I had no real reason to lift other than because I liked to. I never needed to lose weight an I kind of gained all my muscle by chance. I just liked the way I started looking so I kept plugging along on whatever course I was on.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000)
    Can not having a goal be a goal? This is what I'm aiming for. Being able to workout without being obsessed with attaining a specific appearance or performance level.

Excercise for me has always first and foremost been about weight loss. I've struggled with my weight for most of my adult life. What I found when I started getting fitter was that I started getting more ambitious. I started doing "aerobics" classes in the late 80's early 90's because they were the trendy thing to do. I moved on to running because I always admired runners. I started doing machine circuits because everyone at the gym did them. Lost some weight then fell off the bandwagon. When I got back to it, I started running again and got a bit more advanced with the weights, moving on to some free weights. Once I hit my goal weight, then the performance goals started and I started run training to compete. 5k/10k led to the half-marathon with some 15k's along the way, then came 30k's on the way to marathons. From there I progressed to triathlon moving all the way up to Olympic distance. I was constantly focused on the next race and beating my PB's. Eventually after several years of training year round and as I started training for a 1/2 Ironman...I burned out. I took a break that ended up lasting 2 years and put the weight back on.

So here I am now, working on losing the weight again. I'm back to the weights again, doing much heavier and more advanced workouts than in the past. I'm running - treadmill only and 30-60 min max. I'm biking - spin class. I'm not swimming yet though. The weight is coming off and I'm almost at my goal weight. Other than reaching my goal weight/bf%, I've been trying to to be non-competitive. No more racing for me (except that I'm still constantly pushing on the treadmill to go further/faster or pushing harder at spin class). Now I just want to get fit, and stay fit. What will be interesting for me is how I keep myself motivated once I meet my appearance goals without having specific performance goals.
    Last edited by gwnorth; 12-09-2011 at 06:57 PM.