bsadork has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bsadork has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bsadork has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

In need of expert advice: Lose fat or build muscle.

Hey guys (and girls)! I'm new to this forum and I have been looking around and reading and so far I've learned a lot.

My question, however, still remains. What do I do first? My goal is to get in better shape (vague, I know) but overall to have decent size, and to be at a body fat percentage of around 10%. I don't have exact measurements since I don't have a tape or scale but I did take a couple of pictures. Hopefully someone on here will give me some helpful advice in the way of direction.

So my question is, do I focus on cardio or building muscle?PB200002.JPGPB200004.JPG Any help is greatly appreciated.

The_Vampire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The_Vampire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The_Vampire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The_Vampire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The_Vampire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The_Vampire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by bsadork View Post
    Hey guys (and girls)! I'm new to this forum and I have been looking around and reading and so far I've learned a lot.

My question, however, still remains. What do I do first? My goal is to get in better shape (vague, I know) but overall to have decent size, and to be at a body fat percentage of around 10%. I don't have exact measurements since I don't have a tape or scale but I did take a couple of pictures. Hopefully someone on here will give me some helpful advice in the way of direction.

So my question is, do I focus on cardio or building muscle?Attachment 3884363Attachment 3884373 Any help is greatly appreciated.

I will say cut first and then bulk .....
    Last edited by The_Vampire; 11-21-2011 at 12:58 AM.

bsadork has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bsadork has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bsadork has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah thanks for the tits comment. I was actually thinking the same thing too.

Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The problem is that you have very little muscle underneath.

I'd suggest cutting for a while, lose 20lbs and then eat at maintenance for a while whilst lifting weights. You will build a good amount of muscle. There's no point cutting to 10% if there's nothing underneath to show.

*Edit, just re-reading my post it seems like I've wanted to say start lifting weights after you've lost 20lbs. Start weights now, but eat in a calorie deficit.
    Last edited by Spanishdream; 11-20-2011 at 11:24 PM.
    Currently cutting.

ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ECfromHTX is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Not sure if anyone else will agree with me but I suggest you hit the weights. You can burn calories weightlifting and getting a little more muscle on you will help in burning more calories and it could also help make you look less flabby. If you're just starting off that's what I'd do for a little while and then you can decide whether to cut or bulk.

The_Vampire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The_Vampire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The_Vampire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The_Vampire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The_Vampire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The_Vampire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by bsadork View Post
    Yeah thanks for the tits comment. I was actually thinking the same thing too.
    LOL .... You are welcome

And i agree with what SpanishDream said ....

nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by The_Vampire View Post
    Nice tits .....

I will say cut first and then bulk .....
    Nice poverty bedroom, manlet stature, and empirically bad and unfixable facial aesthetics.

Negged on RC.
    Don't Drink, Don't Smoke, Watdo you do?
    -----CUT STACK---
    GROUND BEEF
    WHITE BREAD
    CHICKEN
    2% MILK
    BROCCOLI
    LOW FAT ICE CREAM
    THOSE YOGURTS WITH THE CANDY THING ON TOP
    SUGAR FREE JELL-O
    FIBER ONE GRANOLA BARS
    APPLES
    ORANGES
    PICKLES
    COFFEE
    MARLBORO 100's
    MORE COFFEE
    ------------------------------

Originally Posted by nlite2000 View Post
    Nice poverty bedroom, manlet stature, and empirically bad and unfixable facial aesthetics.

Negged on RC.
    Idiot like you + attitude for no reason = Even a greater idiot ....

Learn some sense of humor u fukstik .....

phudgey is on a distinguished road. (+10) phudgey is on a distinguished road. (+10) phudgey is on a distinguished road. (+10) phudgey is on a distinguished road. (+10) phudgey is on a distinguished road. (+10) phudgey is on a distinguished road. (+10) phudgey is on a distinguished road. (+10) phudgey is on a distinguished road. (+10) phudgey is on a distinguished road. (+10) phudgey is on a distinguished road. (+10) phudgey is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Negged on RC.
    Pwned XD

Negged on RC.
    And u knw wat .... its not only here, u actually have a habit of throwing attitude and posting trash everywhere ..... but it only shows what a loser u actually are .... taking your frustration out here ..... F***** loser

nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    And u knw wat .... its not only here, u actually have a habit of throwing attitude and posting trash everywhere ..... but it only shows what a loser u actually are .... taking your frustration out here ..... F***** loser
    Strong English.

What, did you get laid off from your job at the cafeteria at the Nike Factory?
    -----CUT STACK---
    GROUND BEEF
    WHITE BREAD
    CHICKEN
    2% MILK
    BROCCOLI
    LOW FAT ICE CREAM
    SUGAR FREE JELL-O
    FIBER ONE GRANOLA BARS
    APPLES
    ORANGES
    PICKLES
    COFFEE
    MARLBORO 100's
    MORE COFFEE

Strong English.

No i am pissed coz i didnt say anything to u but still u r negging me .....

Strong English.

And yeah, learn to know when people are talking to u and when they are not ...... You might be desperate to get everybody's attention but not everyone wants to talk to you.....

And u seem to know eveyone who works at the cafeteria at the Nike Factory ... been there long enough serving coffee and cleaning after people?

AceDuddyMEGAA will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceDuddyMEGAA will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceDuddyMEGAA will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceDuddyMEGAA will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceDuddyMEGAA will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceDuddyMEGAA will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceDuddyMEGAA will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceDuddyMEGAA will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceDuddyMEGAA will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceDuddyMEGAA will become famous soon enough. (+50) AceDuddyMEGAA will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    relax you just coulda done without the "nice tits" comment. we're here to help eachother. whether you think its funny or not **** like that isnt called for

Apologies to OP if my comment offended him ....

And yeah, learn to know when people are talking to u and when they are not ...... You might be desperate to get everybody's attention but not everyone wants to talk to you.....

And u seem to know eveyone who works at the cafeteria at the Nike Factory ... been there long enough serving coffee and cleaning after people?
    LOL. Get a real family.
    -----CUT STACK---
    GROUND BEEF
    WHITE BREAD
    CHICKEN
    2% MILK
    BROCCOLI
    LOW FAT ICE CREAM
    SUGAR FREE JELL-O
    FIBER ONE GRANOLA BARS
    APPLES
    ORANGES
    PICKLES
    COFFEE
    MARLBORO 100's
    MORE COFFEE

LOL. Get a real family.

There u r ..... As i said, u r just a small child showing attitude and trying to prove himself a man ..... Grow up kiddo .....

Lelaki Bangunan Seksi LengthyLifter's Avatar
    LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Nice tits .....
    I think I'd cut another few inches off the bottom of that avatar before making fun of anyone else's physique (pssst.... your massive love handles are showing).

Negged.
    [Watdo? Crew] - GET HENCH!

Originally Posted by LengthyLifter View Post
    I think I'd cut another few inches off the bottom of that avatar before making fun of anyone else's physique (pssst.... your massive love handles are showing).

Negged.
    All right already guys .... I apologized already .... I wasnt trying to make fun of anybody

And u sir, u think u r any different? Judging and pointing at someone who was even addressing u? .. ******* hypocrite ....
    Last edited by The_Vampire; 11-21-2011 at 01:08 AM.

jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by LengthyLifter View Post

Negged.
    lol he changed his avi to a blue sky after you and nlite

All right already guys .... I apologized already .... I wasnt trying to make fun of anybody

And u sir, u think u r any different? Judging and pointing at someone who was even addressing u? .. ******* hypocrite ....
    negged on recharge

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ok, back to the OP's question. You asked for experts and this is what happens, lol. I think you need to be your own expert. You could easily bulk or cut right now and get benefits from both as you appear relatively untrained.
    I think what you really need to do right now is establish good training habits. Learn all of your barbell techniques: bench, squat, deadlift, overhead press, row. Get your form solid and begin increasing your numbers. Regardless of whether you are bulking or cutting, you will need to always work on the technique of these lifts and try as lift as much as you can safely handle.
    Then, establish good eating habits, whether or not you are cutting or bulking. Even if you bulk, learn to rigorously count your calories and make sure you are controlling your intake. Cutting will be much easier after a bulk if you establish these habits.
    If you get into these two habits: lifting and eating under *control*, then you are bound to improve aesthetically at an alarming rate for up to a year, regardless of whether you cut or bulk. I say choose whichever will help motivate you more for now. Some people are most motivated to look in a mirror and see a six pack. Others are more motivated to see their bench press 1rm go up 50 lbs. For now, work on whatever will keep you in the gym busting your ass.
    Set a medium term goal, like "I want to be 10% bodyfat and have a 200lb bench press in one year's time." That way you can better time your bulk and cut. You know that when that year is over, you'll have to have just ended your cut. Tangible goals are incredibly important in the planning phase, so add that to your to do list.

1. Set short (within the next few months), medium (6 months-3 years), and long (10 years) term goals. What exactly do you want to weigh? When do you want that weight? How much do you want to bench? Squat? What do you want your arm measurement to be?
    2. Establish religious training habits and never assume your form is good. Always reevaluate your technique and try to squeeze the target muscles harder.
    3. Establish even more religious eating habits. Count your calories all the time. Even if you are having a cheat day out of lack of self control (happens to us all), COUNT the cheat calories. This will leave you with a sense of control over your diet and allow you to manipulate one of the most important variables in achieving your goals.
    4. Track your progress towards your goals and counter roadblocks with new ideas. Be creative!

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Man I missed out on all the fun...

I think its funny when the fat call other fat names...

Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Negged for getting emo over rep power on an internet forum.

tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    pers, id prob look into lifting heavy and tracking my nutrition. see where that takes u.

i was heavier then u but prob not that far off BF wise and during the course of some of my progress pics i think i was able to add some lbm while cutting away some fat. like around early may of 2010 through the rest of 2010.

i would say u could even keep cardio to a minimum at this point.
    Used to be fat, now just fat with a lot of muscle.

come check out my latest log: Layne Nortons Carbon line http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169447773

sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Eat around maintenance and lift heavy, you should be able to lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously for a while. Give it 6-8 months, then start cutting.
    Who do men say that I am?

Waqs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Waqs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Waqs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Waqs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Waqs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Waqs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Waqs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Waqs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Waqs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Waqs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Waqs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    IMO cut down to 175-180 lbs while lifting heavy, doing cardio and eating slightly under maintenance. Follow this by a bulk and then another cut if you wish.

I say this because you don't look too fat and although your muscle base seems low I'm confident you will look decent at 175 lbs if you start cutting now and then from there it can only get better.

Good luck
    Train Hard Or Go Home.

SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The good news OP: If you lift heavy with a well rounded program, and get adequate macronutrients, you''re going to make nice progress regardless of whether you cut/bulk/recomp.

If it were me I'd eat around maintenance but I think in your case there really isn't a wrong answer. Choose one, stick to it, and don't get too aggressive with the surplus or deficit.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160275721&pagenumber=

Thanks for all the input! Pretty much what I've taken from this is that I can eat at maintenance and lift and incorporate cardio and see some pretty decent results. Awesome. Here is what I'm thinking as far as food goes. Unfortunately I'm limited in time and portions (it's the military) so I have to work with what I have:

Breakfast:
    3 hard boiled eggs (whites)
    1 grapefruit
    1/2 cup plain oatmeal
    1 medium banana

Lunch:
    4-5 oz fish
    1/2 cup brown rice
    1 cup mixed greens (spinach and such)
    1/3 cup kidney beans
    1/3 cup garbanzo beans
    1/3 cup tomato

Dinner:
    Same as lunch

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of options here unless I want to spend my own money (which is not a lot). What are some suggestions for improvement in the way of macros and such? Thanks again!

Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The foods in your diet are largely unimportant. The important thing is hitting your macros.

-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass
    -0.45g of fat per lb of body weight
    -fill the rest with any combination of f/c/p
    -eat at a 500 calorie deficit from your maintenance; work that out here; http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
    -or maintenance if you decide that's best for you
    -multi-vitamin + fish oil
    -lift three times a week
    -rest
    -profit
    Currently cutting.

bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000) bdrusse is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree with the maintenence and heavy lifting.

I love a six day week of every other day weights/cardio with one day off. If your routine is solid and you eat just enough to maintain whatever weight you are or even slowly cut, you will build enough good muscle to fill out. After 3~6 months of that, look in the mirror and revaluate whether you then want to cut or bulk. I would bet after 6 months for sure (with solid weight routine being key) you will have a solid enough base that cutting would then be a no brainer.
    Not stopping cut till I look good "douche'n it up" by running without a shirt